My husband and I stayed here for two weeks at the end of August/start September. Yes the accomodation is cheap but we did expect a little more having stayed on various other Greek Islands on a budget. The hill that the apartments are situated on is very steep, I know others say it isn't that bad but it is steep and I would not recommend for the elderly unless they are pretty fit. I suppose the plus point of hill is that the rooms have a lovely sea view. The area is very quiet and there is not much to do or anywhere decent to eat. The beach however is a short 5 min walk with sunloungers that you can hire for the day cheaply. If you want to eat decent food you need to take a bus which runs every half hour to Adelianos Kampos which is just over 5 mins away. I would not recommend trying to walk there as the road is quite dangerous with no lighting, it's also further than you think.
The apartments appear to be run/manned by two young guys who are very friendly and do try to be as helpful as they can. The downside to this was that almost everynight we were kept awake by them laughing and playing loud (repetitive) music with their friends, this usually went on until about 4am. It's not great when you are being kept up most of the night by the antics of the staff.
The pool is small but did appear to adequate in relation the number guests there at the time and there was a good number of sunloungers. I think that most guests did the same us and tended to go out most of the day. The major issue with the pool and apartments was that there were no snacks available to buy at all, not even a bag of crisps. This put us off sitting by the pool because we had to get up and travel to the next resort anyway for some breakfast and lunch so there was little point in sitting by the pool. In Adelianos Kampos there are plenty beach bars where you can hire a lounger for the day and even some of the hotels there let you use their pools for free which are far superior to the Sunrise pool.
The apartments were clean on arrival, however the maid service was quite poor. The maid cleaned the room only once every 4 days so you had to make do with the same towels and your toilet bin not being emptied. She would also helpfully leave your balcony doors open so that after being out all day and returning after dark, your room would be full of mosquitos.
My husband and I hired a car to get around more easily (no more hill!) and made trips to Rethymno and Chania, both are worth a visit. You could take the bus to Rethymno in the evenings as well if you fancy good food and there is plenty of choice there. It takes about 25 mins on the bus. Another place worth a visit is Panorma which is a little fishing village with a lovely harbour. There is a small stretch of beach as well which was lovely. Panorma is about 10 mins away from Sfakaki and again reachable by bus.
On the whole my husband and I are in agreement that we would definitely return to Crete however we would never stay at the Sunrise Apartments again and would not recommend them to friends or family regardless of the price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On a steep hill , the complex on the outskirts of Rethymnon offers a large L-shaped pool with adjacent sun terrace and studio apartments catering and unobstructed view of the Cretan Sea.The bright and modern studio apartments have a kitchenette with fridge . Each is equipped with air conditioning and satellite TV . Maid service 3 times a week .The Sunrise Apartments is 400 meters . from Sfakaki Beach and the resort center . Rethymno is 10km . away . ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Ebookers, LoveHolidays, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., Travel Republic (UK) and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sunrise Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunrise Apartments Hotel Rethymnon
- Sunrise Apartments Crete/Rethymnon Prefecture - Sfakaki