“Best Thomson Family Holiday”

TUI Family Life Orquidea
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Bahia Feliz
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

I am going to write a review about this hotel, but will keep it very simple:-

Food - Excellent. Fresh and different every day. Especially breakfast, omelettes cooked to order! Loved my omelette in the morning.

Hotel - Clean, spacious very well decorated.

Hotel Staff - very friendly and welcoming.
These people work so hard night and day to look after you, they do an amazing job!

Entertainment - Big shout out to BIG DADDY/ LISA LOLLIPOP & STEADY EDDIE.. They are brilliant, so much fun.. I have never seen entertainment work so hard and so well together.. X

We honestly could not find 1 fault with this hotel, everything was perfect.

Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank debshiscock
JAVIER M, Manager at TUI Family Life Orquidea, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Hello! Big daddy here,

Thank you for your recent visit and the time you spent reporting your comments and valuations regarding our service and facilities.

Any positive or negative comments give us a true opportunity to learn how to improve and provide better service.

Thank you so much for your kind comments,we are pleased you all enjoyed our program and hope to see you again one day!

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your visit to Bahia Feliz and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

35107 – Gran Canaria – Spain

Write a ReviewReviews (1,871)

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Just come back from a 2 week stay at the Orquidea. Firstly I would like to say I stayed at the hotel in 2009 and had a fantastic time with my family. Our flight landed at 12pm and after a short trip(first stop) we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted with welcome drinks which were appreciated after a long flight. After a quick check in went to our rooms which are spotless. Food: Excellent choice of food as there is something for everyone from curries to pasta dishes, local fish is served fresh every day which was truly superb. The entertainment made this holiday experience truly amazing with steady eddie and Lisa lollipop's boundless energy, how they have so much energy is fantastic, then there is Big Daddy who complements the entertainment reps, a truly nice and funny guy, well done sir. So just to finish if you are looking for a family holiday look no further than the Orquidea.

7  Thank john w

Hello! Big daddy here,

I thank you for your kind comments and very pleased you enjoyed our entertainment program,it really is important to include everyone from 1-100! i hope to meet you again one day.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

ive just arrived back, and my 14 yr old son and i 51 wish we could go straight back, it was fab, the rooms are spotless and large,you wont need a hairdrier ladies. its in the bathroom. loads of clothes space and a large balcony with a great view of the pool and the sea. my son is a really fussy eater and has medical problems but he found the food fab, a huge choice, even a little buffet bar for the little ones. the Thompson team were faultless, really helpful and always available, but the best of all were steady Eddie and Lisa of the entertainment team were the very best, they were like old friends straight away, always there, during the day and night, the energy they have is amazing they make the whole experience simply the best time ever. my only criticism would be the children even down to the babies, are running around till late at night, but that's down to the parents, and the entertainment room could be more comfortable, but it does have to be used for many reasons, so theyd have to have a re-think of the lay out of it all. i paid £1880.00 for the 2 of us for all- exclusive and id say it was good value, as we were really looked after. as was my son. i only took the rateing down a bit due to the entertainment room, and the fact that the towel situation around the pool which people were getting up a riduculas time to save a lounger, (apparently they stopped it but there was an uproar.). i would definatly go back. id say it was suitable for all the family, but be warned you need a very high sun factor.

Room Tip: from wat i see all the rooms overlook the pool and beach and theres 3 lifts so don't worry
6  Thank debiwarn
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I've been meaning to write this review for a while and haven't done one before but here goes ..

Me, my three year old and partner stayed here in October 2013 and I have nothing but good things to say about our stay !!

Weather was amazing ! Food was really good and varied - kids buffet was great ! Rooms were large and had everything we needed - a more powerful shower would have been nice but that's if I'm being really picky !!

There was lots on for kids and adults throughout the day. Sadly my little one wasn't interested and just wanted to swim but the children's pool was perfect so it didn't matter. His dad on the other hand was off with the reps playing water polo, football and participated in one of the evening shows which he loved ! Tea time live the kids show on in the evening was brilliant too !!

All in all a really good holiday. we were going to return this year but the week we wanted
to go was booked up !! Will defiantly consider going back next year

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Dannii1989
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Just returned from a 2 week holiday, 4 adults and 3 children (8, 6 & 3). First time in a long while that we have gone on a "package" holiday so had some reservations in the back of my mind but can only say everything was better than we could have expected.
From check-in to check-out the hotel staff couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. The Thomson staff were exceptional and I have no idea where they get their energy levels from but they are on the go morning to night and if you want to get involved then there is something for everybody.
We had two connecting rooms on the 2nd floor and they were excellent - very clean and comfortable. Agree with some comments that you need to keep your eye on little ones, especially during the night, because of the steps from the "living room" to the main bedroom area and bathroom but after the first night everybody was aware of the steps and we didn't have any problems.
Pool area is great and can be slippery but so is our local swimming pool so we know to be careful around pools - take it easy and don't run. No problem getting sun beds any time we came down to the pools but as has been said if you want a specific place around the pool then join the pre-dawn towel placing brigade but that's not for me, I'm on holiday!
Food was excellent. Great choices every day and with the added bonus of being all inclusive great to be able to just take drinks (soft or alcoholic) and ice creams etc. whenever you want.
We were at the hotel before the UK school holidays so I could imagine that from now on (end July & August) it might be a bit more "hectic" but I would really be struggling to find anything bad to say about this hotel.
The grandchildren have already started on at us to book for next year and do you know what, I think we will.

8  Thank JamS75
JAVIER M, Manager at TUI Family Life Orquidea, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Sir/Madam

Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from 2 week all inclusive stay (4 adults and 2 kids) whilst we did enjoy our holiday I think it could have been better and we were certainly ready for coming home by the end. I'll try and point out the things that could have been better below..

Rooms - we were on the second floor. One double and one junior suite. Rooms are pretty basic and a bit dated but kept clean. Beds weren't the most comfortable but the biggest problem was the noise! Although entertainment finishes at 11pm promptly everyone then congregates out in the bar/yard below all the rooms so doesn't really help! Air con was good but no air com in the bedroom of the junior suite. Also there were very little plugs and none near a mirror!

Bathroom was dated and needed refurb.

Pools - 3 pools which were good so never seemed too crowded in the water. Closed twice towards the end of our stay due to poo in the pool. Kids pool is great and gets nice and warm. Sunbeds towards the end we had to get up earlier and earlier to ensure we had some close to pool to see kids. Yes there were the regulars who reserved beds and then went away on a trip all day! People will also try and squeeze in a few more beside you and will even squash yours up to do so meaning a pole vault from end of bed to lie down, usually other nationalities. I agree that one particular lifeguard walked round the pool with earphones in - not great! Also pool side is very slippy so beware

Beach - yes the hotel is situated on a beach but not the best, very stoney. Best thing is the walk along the path, very peaceful and great view, nice to get away from the hustle and bustle especially the odd occasion kids were at kids club

Food - breakfast is very good. In general there is plenty of food and a lot of variety but I found it very bland and usually lukewarm. Bolognaise was watery tomato sauce no taste etc. it was also very repetitive, we have done numerous all inclusive hols since having kids so can compare these but dishes were repeated 2, 3, 4 times per week. Drinks are self service which I don't like as your food is even colder by the time you get set up with kids etc. glasses were also the smallest tumbler possible!!

Pool bar has make your own toastie and hot dogs etc. good for a change from main buffet restaurant.

Desserts were poor also same cakes for 14 nights. Bought in cream and sponge with very little taste. Although chocolate fountain was good and kids loved it

Towards the end of our stay the restaurant was manic... Not just busy but manic. People barging and pushing, running, shouting etc again nothing I've had at any other all inclusive.

Area was kept very clean, everything was swept away or picked up

Kids clubs - we didn't have disappointed 6yr old as there was always space in the kids club, he had great fun. We put our 2 yr old in crèche a few days and all the girls are so enthusiastic and good, no tears when we left which was great

Entertainment - Lisa lollipop, steady Eddie and big daddy really made this holiday what it was, always something to see or do and so much energy! Loved the aqua fit and the various outfits. Kids loved the kids disco although games, songs were repeated a lot

Area - not much around but supermarket across road and a wee shopping centre with restaurants and some shops. We ate at El toro which was good and worth it when you get fed up of the food at hotel. Local buses were easy and cheap

Trips - went to palmito park, dolphins were amazing! We also went on local bus to amadores beach along Coast, this looked idyllic but sand was coarse like broken shells not nice to walk up and down

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Scotfifer

Hello,Big Daddy here!

Your comments are valid and have been passed to the relevant departments,with regards to the "earphone" situation,this does not occur any longer.

Thank you for your input regarding the entertainment,we try to include everyone in our program and hope we do not exclude anyone children or adult.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I'm not really one for writing reviews but feel after seeing some comments on here I need to write about our experience as a family of 6 my husband and I and our 4 children our older two are almost 17 and 14 and our younger two are 5 and 10 months we went on 30th June for 2 weeks. Firstly the transfer to the hotel about 15mins on the coach which is brilliant especiallly with young children, on arrival at the hotel we were greeted with welcome drinks and checked in no problems we also paid for use of the safe which was 40 euros a bit steep maybe but same in most hotels ive found. Our room was a family room and it was plenty big enough for all of us large area with a sofa or sofa bed if needed and a chair and table down 2 stairs (which I suppose could be a bit tricky with toddlers but can be blocked off if neccesary ) onto an area with a dressing table with kettle and a wide screen tv opening onto a large balcony overlooking the sea and beautiful surroundings of the hotel (I love the palm trees so much I want one in my garden ;D ) to the left of the living area there is a seperate area with 2 twin beds and a fitted double wardrobe with full length mirror loads of space and hangers and was ideal for my elder two and my 5 year old had a camp bed which was ample for her next to them, through a door was then a large double room with a cot and a another smaller balcony and once again double fitted wardrobes with full length mirror. The bathrooms were a good size loads of space for toiletries I've seen people complain that they need a bit of an update but ours was very clean and to be honest its a hotel not your bathroom at home considering the amount of people that come and go in my opinion the rooms are great maid service fantastic clean towels everyday etc can't complain. The hotel has 3 pools including a childrens one with slide and bucket etc great for little ones and small baby area with a shade and you get to use the hotels pool towels for your stay changed on saturdays and wednesdays. Now to the part that everyone moans about Reserving of sunbeds..... We did get up early everyday to reserve beds but when you have a young family you need to be close to the pool and there are limited sun umbrellas this is the only downside for me as the resort can get quite windy the umbrellas are stuck in the floor so you can't move them I definately think more are needed as I saw quite a few toddlers in prams with no shade on them. There are ample sunbeds to go round I agree with previous posts about people blocking off walkways with sunbeds I could not understand this people trying to get past with buggies and wheelchairs and not being able to just totally ignorant the pool staff need to address this situation a walkway is a walkway not an obstacle course. Pool area is kept clean plenty of bins around for those who use them and if you don't fancy sitting around the pool there is lovely area facing the sea. The beach is pebble beach but does have an area with sand an sunbeds which is quite nice it does state that this is what the beach is like in the brochure. There is so much going on around the pool everyday lots of activities starting with Aquafit at 11.30 am with the infamous Big Daddy dressed up in his superheroe costumes or chicken costume and even Santa makes an appearance absolutely brilliant!! And you even get the chance to win the crown for being the best at aquafit which you wear for 24 hours and get treated by royalty first in queue for drinks etc my son won it Prince Luke haha good fun! Even if you don't want to join in its fun to watch. There are quizzes and waterpolo,rounders ,killer pool ,killer darts you name it you can do it and the Thomson entertainers Lisa Lollipop and Steady Eddie are by far the best I have ever seen so much energy and such fantastic personalities with not only the children but adults too they were joined by Cha Cha Charly in the 2nd week of our stay who was also brilliant and not forgetting Big Daddy. If you want to have fun as a family this is the hotel for you For those who come without children then complain about the children it quite clearly states that this is a family hotel....The food I thought was lovely lots of choice something to please everyone including gluten free and a diet corner and not too repetive with a main restaurant area an outside area and a quiet area to eat. Lunchtime the main bar area had snacks including hot dogs,chips,salad,curry,chilli,jacket potatoes or you make your own cheese toastie if you fancied if you didnt want to go and sit in the restaurant for lunch, great selection of drinks on AI and unlimited icepops and ice cream ,only downside could offer snacks after 9pm and a few more covers to stop flies on food. Night time entertainment for the children fantastic little pups at 730pm and kennel club at 8pm with Thomson the dog TTD making an appearance Lisa & Eddie doing all the dances with not just the kids but the adults too! Bingo every night we won one night bonus! Entertainment at 9.30 was either by the Thomson entertainers or different acts we all enjoyed the it even with different age ranges. There was plenty to do at the kids club my 5 year old loved it the girls are fab can't fault them at all also a lovely creche for you to use if you so wish. The hotel also has a baby lounge with a changing mat etc or just a place to take your baby for some quiet time in the shade.
So all in all if you are looking for a fantastic family holiday with great weather lovely food and amazing entertainment this is the place for you....if you don't like children or having fun don't come here its not for you...Big Daddy, Lisa Lollipop, Steady Eddie keep up the good work and we will see you next year Hooooooray

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank WarlyWooo

Hello,Big Daddy here!

For someone that dosen´t normally writes reviews,you had a pretty good crack!
We are delighted with your comments and they are welcomed and passed on to the relevant departments.

We are glad you enjoyed the entertainment program and there was something for eveyone!
As for the sunbed situation,this is always difficult,however,if guests wish to get up at 6am on their holiday to reserve their beds,that´s their choice,i don´t think it will ever change?

We are glad you enjoyed your visit to Bahia Feliz and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bahia Feliz
#9 of 19 in San Agustin
Veril Playa
Veril Playa
#121 of 135 in Playa del Ingles

Been to TUI Family Life Orquidea? Share your experiences!