“Great for young children”

TUI Family Life Orquidea
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Bahia Feliz
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Just come back from this hotel had a great time entertainment team r fantastic big daddy Lucy lollipop is fab rooms very clean all inclusive drinks amazing only thing was the food lots of fish on the evening meal which put me off a bit but dinner time snack bar burgers chips pizza spring rolls cheese n ham toasty was good excellent breakfast think they should do later snacks as they finish at 9pm went in to the town which only cost us 4 euro so that was good my daughter is 11 and will say now she is turning 12 we won't go back as lots of young children if my daughter was younger would defo go back but if under 10 would highly recommend

Room Tip: Pool view is the best place to ask for we got 3rd floor pool view
2  Thank Shane S
JAVIER M, Manager at TUI Family Life Orquidea, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Hello,Big daddy here!

Thank you for your recent visit and the time you spent reporting your comments and valuations regarding our service and facilities.

Any positive or negative comments give us a true opportunity to learn how to improve and provide better service.

We are very happy you enjoyed your time with us and hope to see you again!

35107 – Gran Canaria – Spain

Write a ReviewReviews (1,860)

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Firstly we have flagged up a formal complaint whilst on holiday on our first full day at the resort 15th August 2014 with the rep

We paid an extra 168 to upgrade to superior rooms and found that they were in fact standard with a very poor welcome pack of a small bottle of red wine, one small packet of biscuits and a packet of crisps and 2 hard dressing gowns. We asked another guest if we could see their standard room which was the same as ours including the flat screen T.V and soft furnishings, so no difference.

Disgusted we paid 134 per room for these extras. We were given room 809 which needs a full investigation how a room of such poor quality could be booked out to a paying guest who paid almost 2,000 for a week. I have taken pictures of the state of the walls, including plaster and paintwork. My wife sat and cried after a long journey from Britain, at what we had been subjected to. I was furious and did not wish to stay. I wouldn't expect our family dog to sleep in a room in need of re decorating and plastering to this degree. We had also booked a cot when we booked the holiday but no nothing at all for our 22 month year old. I had to go back to reception and request one at 00.30 with a very tired little boy just wanting to go to sleep. Also we assumed that we would have a little more space. My 6 year old was expected to sleep on a put me up metal bed which had springs coming through; my daughter spent the week sleeping on the sofa. The main bed was old and rickety with an over lay on top of the old tired mattress, Also being placed on the 8th floor with a toddler, my heart was in my mouth all week and we spent what little time we were in the disgusting bedroom with the balcony door shut and attempted locked, as again the lock was hanging off the frame.

My mother in law and Niece were in 811 and they also experienced issues, the room was booked as a twin, as my niece is 16 and no longer desires to share a bed with her 70 year old grandmother, one old rickety double greeted them and they put me up bed was made, my niece was disgusted with the springs coming through the mattress so spent the first night on the floor. The bathroom door was too big and didn't shut at all and my mother found that a disgrace that she was expected to use the bathroom with the door wide open. Very poor experience again considering it was supposed to be superior and extra money had been paid. Attention to detail was lacking in many areas. The cleaner overlooked room 811 on Wednesday 20th August, yes may have been a day before we were due to check out but again unacceptable and yes we complained again at reception.

The whole resort had an air of sewers about it most of the time, we couldn't quite work out why or how as the communal areas all appeared clean, just wafts of sewers.

It’s a shame that the bedroom floors could have done with being shown a mop, every day after coming in from the pool following a shower my feet were black within 10 minutes of walking on the tiled floor.

Regarding the state of the paintwork re marks on the walls all over room 809 and the plaster work we were offered a room swap on day 3 of our 7 day holiday but to move 4 of us into an identical cramped room didn't really do justice. The management gave us a voucher to use in the spa free use of the spa facilities as a way of apology which was good of them but again appeared like a poor way of back tracking. Not once did anyone from the hotel management come to see us or try to make any form of contact with us which again proved at how little they thought of their paying guests.

We had requested a connecting room which didn't happen. We requested a low level floor which didn't happen. When my mother and niece checked out of their room, as we had pre booked late check out back in England for one room for us all to share, the man on reception didn't even look up at them or thank them, or ask if there was anything else he could do, or even ask them if they had had a nice holiday, again lacking in attention to detail, we've had your money now do one.

The Thompson staff and entertainment staff keep that hotel together because nothing was too much trouble, a great team, just a shame about the poor quality of the beds, decor and hotel staff.

The nightly entertainment was usually not dissimilar daily, But as others have written, Lisa lollipop was immense, a bundle of energy and how she remembers everyone's name and personal bits is beyond me. Probably the only holiday entertainer I honestly believe deserves a Cbeebies show. Kudos also to Big D, although busy this week with charity work, still deserves praise.

Unfortunately there is a 5am sun longer brigade, with the bed though I was unable to sleep, so generally acquired decent spots, though others ignorance led to a fairly unsafe and hazardous route around the whole pool area.

As an all inclusive I was also gutted that tea and coffee in rooms were never restocked, fridges do not have drinks, Water needs to be bought, and standard spa facilities paid for.

A pleasant beach, pool mad with kids let loose so parents can relax, nowhere to get a drink between midnight and 0730.

Food was plentiful and good standard. And main eating areas very clean.

Fata morgana isn’t the cleanest and most drinks machines not working.

Locally there isn’t much to do outside of hotel unless spending money in shops.

Tired, dated, not overly clean. Stay if that’s what you want. But I won’t be overspending on Hotel Orquidea again. In fact, I'm contemplating my usage of Thomson’s holidays.......

Room Tip: Dont pay additional for superior rooms. As they are no different.
6  Thank Dave_sadler
Reviewed 22 August 2014

The Thomson Family Resort is fantastic for families, entertainment throughout the day including aqua dance, pool bingo, pool polo, killer darts, lunch quiz time and much more and then again into the evening. The entertainment staff Lisa Lollipop, Steady Eddy, Courtney Crush and Bid Daddy are awesome (where do they get their energy from...).

If the team see this post, can you confirm the song playlist you use as the kids are driving me mad for the names of them!!!! (Oh Steady Eddie if you do read this, I'll get Mick to post you a bottle of the Chilli Vodka!).

During our stay Big Daddy undertook a 15 hour swim for charity, whereby each hour he took 10 minutes rest and our son Reece swam for one of the 10 minute breaks. He was made up to have been a part and to have help Big D. Well done Bid D by the way.

The Thomson Staff Tickly Tash and Disco Daryl were continuously on hand to help when needed and extremely polite and helpful, even shaking our hands as we boarded the coach home and waving us off.

It's truly a team effort and it shows, the little touches make the big difference.

The hotel is clean, the hotel staff extremely polite and attentive. The rooms are the only slight let down. Beginning to see the test of time, but the maid service was excellent, making up the room every day.

The food was great, with loads to choose from each night, which unlike other all inclusive hotels I've been to, the menu changes every night, so not simply regurgitating the same food every night.

The shops in the hotel are well stocked and very well priced.

As well as the nightly entertainment, there's the arcade machines, table tennis, pool tables and various other host stalls selling goods and services, including portrait artist (who's work is simply amazing), necklaces, hair braiding and others.

The pools are excellent and life guards on duty all day.

In summary, we had a fantastic time, only gutted we booked 1 week and not longer as it went so quickly.

Thanks to the hotel and superb Thomson team for making this a great holiday.

1  Thank Mark D

Hello,Big Daddy here!

Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding the entertainment,it mean a great deal!
please thank Reece once again for helping me out with one of my 10min slots,he did well!

And one more thing....keep that chilli vodka to yourself!

We are glad you enjoyed your visit to Bahia Feliz and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

It's definitely not a 4 star hotel. Nothing against children but they were too misbehave and hotel staff did not say anything. Food ok but not excellent. Not enough space and sunbeds in pool area.
Public toilets dirty and rooms not cleaned properly. Anarchy is the key word for who book holidays in this hotel. I wouldn't back there again.

Room Tip: A proper 4 star hotel will never serve food in plastic plates. More cleaness. And rules must be foll...
1  Thank Pasquale V
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We came on holiday as a group in August - me, my hubby, my parents and my 2 young children (age 2 & 6) - what an amazing holiday!!
This hotel is fantastic - you arrive and there is a TUI sign on - which instantly shows you that TUI have branded this hotel, and are proud of this.
The transfer is 15 mins from airport - brilliant for the kids.
Arrival - we were given an arrival drink of sparkling wine or orange juice - how lovely :) and the reception team were wonderful, so welcoming, friendly and kind.
We booked a family room, which consisted of living area with a sofa bed, a separate lounge with a double bed, and a separate bedroom for the kids which also had a cot in. It had a beautiful sea view and balcony in each room.
Thomson reps were amazing -so full of energy and smiles - nothing was too much trouble!
There are excellent Thomson facilities for kids - we put our 2 year old in the creche for 2 hours everyday - it was fab, just like a her nursery back home.
There is a Thomson kids club we used for our 6 year old - to book your child in, you need to go to the registration desk at the pool the day before the session between 1.30pm - 2pm to book in and secure a place. My child got a place everyday and had a great time.
The restaurant was very busy with families, and you had to find your own table, but this was fine, there are plenty of seats and tables available, including an outdoor area.
The food was outstanding - the best buffet selection I have ever come across- full compliments to the chef team - amazing!!
There is a tapas restaurant on site - if you booked with Thomson, you get 1 free dinner night in there - so make sure to ask your rep and take full advantage of this, as the restaurant gets booked!
There are 3 pools including a childrens splash pool - all brilliant!
The most awesome thing about this hotel, is that you can have a different holiday everyday - you can either sit round the pool and get involved in the entertainment, or if you fancy a quiet day you can go it on the beach, as the hotel is right on the beach! Sunbeds on the beach cost €3 but it is worth it for the odd day to spend at the beach.
Sunbeds round the pool- these are all free and there are more than enough for everyone - HOWEVER, I found it really disgusting that fellow Brits where getting up from 6.30am onwards to reserve them close to the pool - are you mad?? seriously ridiculous that people are so sad on holiday that they need to get up to save beds, when there are always more than enough!
I got up at 8am and there were still lots of beds left. You people getting up at 6.30am are bonkers!
Enterainment - the Thomson team were brilliant for the kids disco and entertainment - special shout out to Lisa Lollipop, Steady Eddie and Courtney Krush!
The only negative thing about the entertainment, was when Thomson the dog came on, he talked for a very long time a short story, and the kids and adults lost interest - there wasnt much point in him talking, he would have been better off just coming on a hugging and dancing with the kids, the story was pointless.
I need to say, if there are any tv producers working for Nickelodeon, Milkshake or any other kids tv - you must go and see Lisa Lollipop - she is outstanding, and actually becomes a character for the kids - she is special and needs to be snapped up by kids tv - a truly special talent.
We would 100% return next year - thank you to everyone at the Hotel Orquida & Thomson team - you guys are AMAZING. Well done!

7  Thank Princesskate270

Dear Sir/Madam

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your visit to Bahia Feliz and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Whilst I wouldn't say this was a bad hotel, there are several basic things which could be fixed to make it much better.

For a start, the pool area is way too crowded. They claim that you can't reserve sunbeds but by 10am pretty much every bed is reserved. Considering this is a family hotel, I would expect more poolside parasols for young children to seek shade; in actual fact you need to get up at 6am to reserve one.

Secondly, the pool area is not cleaned sufficiently. They seem to hose it down each night but not particularly well. There are sticky patches (as in your flip flops will stick to them and come off your feet) from spilled drinks and ice creams. There are also numerous cockroaches (dead and alive) loitering around the outer pool area. The poolside toilets are disgusting and on two occasions children simply used the pool as a toilet (i.e. trunks dropped, standing on the poolside, openly peeing into it). To be fair, this is the fault of the parents not the hotel, but still not pleasant.

The food was nice, and there's a wide selection plus different themed nights.

The evening entertainment was slightly bizarre. Acts seem to want to semi-strip to "you sexy thing" and "leave your hat on" with alarming regularity. Again, given the family nature of this hotel, this seems in poor taste.

The holiday was okay, as always you make the best of what you're given; but I won't be going back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WiganGirl18

Dear Sir/Madam

Sorry to hear about the cockroach situation? as we are a very hot sub tropical island we do get them every now and then,but they are kept at bay most of the time.

I would just like to mention the "acts" that strip off? there is only one act? they are called Quiros,they are very clean and only got down to a vest and boxers,nothing too risky? they are also one of the highest scoring acts here at the hotel,however,sorry if they offended you on this occasion.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed for first 2 weeks in August so peak holiday time and we were family of 2 adults and our 2 boys aged 11 & 9. Have stayed at a Thomsons super family hotel (Bonaire) before in Cala Bona in Majorca so knew what sort of holiday to expect.
Overall we have had a fantastic time and have based this review on what we expected before we travelled (I.e. I expected a family hotel to have a lot of kids!!). We found the rooms really good (requested and got floor 6 - room 616 - based on previous comments). We knew that there wasn't a separate bedroom but due to the stepped floor level it did actually feel partly separated and gave us our own space. Rooms were constantly cleaned and bonus was great walk in shower with proper shower screen and not a net curtain! View of pool and Ocean were superb.
Food was really good and varied. Lose a few pounds before you come, especially due to the breakfast choices! We ate in the restaurant most lunch times and had the great salad choices, but you could just eat at the snack bar and eat your burgers/pizza/toasties etc whilst doing the quiz at the shaded stage area. Evening meals also offered great variety.
Pools were great and were good sizes. Yes they got busy during course of day but what do you expect. One of the pools was closed a couple of times later in the day due to accidents but that's not the hotels fault and they did the correct thing in closing it.
Biggest issue was the sun bed situation. Not a problem in getting one, in fact you could get some at any stage of the day but the preferred slots were taken in the early hours. We found in week 1 we could come down at about 7.30 but by week 2 those same spots were taken by 6.15 and these weren't even the pool side or parasol ones so goodness knows what time people were reserving those. It was usual situation where some large families were reserving over 10 but then didn't always use them to midday. Only suggestion would be to operate either a walk around where staff remove if nobody using by a certain time or even do something similar to Bonaire hotel where nobody can get until 8am. Just confirms this is now a British thing as majority of hotel was Brits with some Scandinavians.
Entertainment was fab for the kids and ok for adults. Don't expect West End shows - this is a holiday hotel. The Thomson staff actually put on the best shows -the effort the entertainment staff put in is fantastic and they are great during day and at night, especially with the kids. Yes, the early part of the night is your repetitive dances/tunes but it is aimed at keeping those younger children entertained.
We didn't do any trips so location was ok for us as we had pool and as it is based on beach then you can just pop into the sea for a change. Also located 15 mins from airport so no long coach journey after the flight.
Overall, would we return. Yes we would as we had a great family holiday. The biggest compliment I can give is that it is a match for Bonaire in Cala Bona and travel time is similar if you add flight and coach transfer. If you want to go out on evening then Bonaire wins due to location but if you plan to stay in hotel then price wise I would choose Orquidea. Thanks to Thomsons and hotel staff for a fantastic stay.

Room Tip: Floor 6 has been refurbished. If you request a pool view then the sea view comes with it!!
2  Thank Mark W

Gloria Palace San Agustin Thalasso & Hotel
San Agustin Beach Club
San Agustin Beach Club
#9 of 19 in San Agustin

Been to TUI Family Life Orquidea? Share your experiences!