“Great Beach”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Beruwala
Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Beruwala
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Had a great time in Sri Lanka last year. I just felt like making a comment about the Wonderful Country and also about the Ayurveda Hotel we stayed. Once we arrived it was late night me and my wife it was our anniversary, it was a special occasion for both of us. we had few treatments from the hotel it was not up to the standards we expected to be. my wife enjoyed her therapy but i was not quite happy with mine. Hotel really need some major upgrades if the management wants to compete with the other hotels internationally or even in Sri Lanka .I ranked poor since it might get the attention from the management and concentrate on making changes within a hotel . And we will sure make a quick visit if we happen to come back to Sri Lanka.

Room Tip: South side to the hotel
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
11  Thank lodurlik m
BarberynManagement, Manager at Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

Many thanks for sharing your experience at Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort. We really value our guests' feedback and are sorry that on this occasion you were not satisfied with the standard of the hotel. We are delighted to be able to tell you that the Reef underwent some major renovations May-July 2012 and has re-opened. The resort is a traditional Ayurveda centre and we pride ourselves on using traditional techniques and fresh herbal remedies.

However, we would like to invite you to contact us by email at barbrese@slt.lk detailing the specifics so that we may improve on the experience for your next visit. We look forward to inviting you back to Barberyn Ayurveda Resorts in Sri Lanka.

Barberyn Management

There are newer reviews for Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort

Reviewed 1 September 2012

First time staying in this hotel, first time Ayurvedic treatment, first time in Sri lanka, etc. So very little expectations prior to arrival. I stayed for 8 nights.

The hotel is relatively is small, though does located in front of a public beach, so close, that some nights I had difficulties to fall asleep sometimes (due to the loud noise of ocean waves), I had a garden view room (but facing the sea), there were no Aircon, which made sleeping even more difficult (consider it is often over 30 degrees outside during summer).

The actual ayurvedic treatment was good, it was something looking forward to as I brought work with me, so my daily routine involves massage/treatments in the mornings, followed by 6 hours of working on my laptop, then swim or run on the beach for half hour; dinner; then work again until 11/12pm. I found I was very productive and efficient with my work, coupled with daily massage which helped to relieve back/neck pain, etc.

Food wise was excellent for the first 3 days, after that you get really bored with the taste, other than the selection, overall it was plausible, but I think they add some sorts of herbs to all of their dishes, which explained why i felt everything tasted the same after eating there for 3 days. There were morning juice/afternoon tea breaks, which I enjoyed! I love that there were so many fruits selections for all of the three meals! Very healthy!

Yes, the hotel is a bit dated, plus ants infestation, I bought a small pack of biscuits (guilty, I know), after opening, by the evening, I found the pack is completely indulged by the ants, had to throw away, and fed the squirls (where were everywhere, in a nice way!).

Overall, I lost 4KGs, I never, lost this much weight for the past 8 years, I did feel more energized and focused, when I finally made it to the airport returning home (yes, the journey from hotel to the airport in Colombo took at least 3 hours in early afternoon), I felt that I had left behind all my toxins, bad energy, worries/frustations, etc. in Sri Lanka, whereas I could start fresh again as my plane lift off!!

It was worth it!

Room Tip: Many would recommend room facing the ocean, however, if you are a light sleeper, this might be a pro...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank hugoinlove
Reviewed 2 July 2012

While my firtst visit in 2010 was amazing, in fact we were so impressed we returned in 2011, we found it had changed somewhat. The massages were still absolutely great as was all that side of the visit: attentive doctors etc. Unfortunately, the reception staff were very rude and the food wasn't nearly as good as in 2010.In fact I got food poisoning and had to go to hospital. The atmosphere had changed too. It seemed to be more about making money than before. We were also disappointed to hear that the amazing chef had been sacked as had the restaurant manger, both who we befriended. I don't feel I want to return. It simply isn't worth the vast expense.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Amanda W
DorotheaBarberyn, Manager at Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Amanda,
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay as much as last time. The staff and management here always endeavour to maintain a high level of care and politeness but I apologise if this was not the case on that occasion. I hope we will see you again in Sri Lanka,
Kindest regards,
Barberyn Ayurveda Resorts

Reviewed 13 May 2012

When having dinner at a very luxurous boutique hotel in Nuwara Eliya, eating posh food (which lost it's glamour since I stayed with you) ...and some cheese with black pepper inside (remembering the kind face of the Barberyn doctor telling me that black pepper is not good for my constitution type); I felt nostalgia - nothing was like you before. And I only left you this morning. You gave me much more than I expected. THANK YOU

Room Tip: Family owned hotel; it feels like they don't do it for the money, but for the well-being of huma...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank E_P187147
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I was new to ayurveda and in fact new to holidays that didn't involve hectic itineraries and lots of monuments and museums. After 10 days at Barberyn I'm a total convert and looking forward to going back every year while my legs can carry me.

The whole resort is set up for ayurveda and work together perfectly. As soon as the doctor prescribes a treatment, the restaurant and health centre staff know about it, and even the cleaners seem to know and prepare your room accordingly. That said, if you're not doing the ayurveda treatment, this probably isn't the hotel for you.

Amazing location right on the beach, and a beautiful beach at that. Ocean front rooms are literally just that - I could have thrown a chair off my balcony and hit the water. The plethora of locals selling tours and sarongs can be annoying at times, but they're friendly enough and tend to move on once they realise you're not buying.

I stayed in an ocean front room and these were very well done and worth the extra money compared to the cheaper rooms which were at the back of the hotel. Lots of natural woods, high ceilings, comfy beds. No TV or minibar, but these don't really fit the ayurveda experience anyway. No a/c, which was missed on some of the hotter nights, but the ceiling fan combined with the open doors was good enough to let the breeze through.

Treatments were excellent and all of the heath centre staff were incredibly attentive and very sweet. Food was all vegetarian, buffet lunch and half dinners (other half of the dinners were set menu). Huge variety in the buffets and delicious - I've never been into vegetarian but these guys know how to make it tasty. I ate like a pig but still lost weight!

Also on offer are tai chi, yoga for beginners and experienced, buddhist meditations, cooking classes, and excursions to nearby sights. All at no extra charge.

I came away feeling completely relaxed and refreshed. Can't recommend the resort, the location, the staff or the ayurveda experience enough, especially for those like me with busy jobs and annoying blackberries.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are the way to go
6  Thank Up1ntheair
Reviewed 26 April 2012

This was my second ayurveda experience and my first stay at Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort in Beruwala, Sri Lanka, and it was just perfect.

To begin with the hotel staff which is so lovely and caring, the excellent food (it is vegeterian and fish, but you won't miss meat at all), the relaxing treatments, the beautiful scenery (as it is located directly at the coast with a wonderful beach which is perfect for both swimming and long walks) to the rooms - everything is really perfect. Also they offer yoga lessons everyday, meditation, ayurveda cooking courses and introduction lessons to the science of ayurveda as well as excursions which are complimentary and much more. They even have there own herbal garden and herbal pharmacy where the natural medicine is prepared.

When I arrived I was totally stressed and had sleeping problems and some other minor problems like hard muscles in the back because of my office job and headaches resulting from that. Only after 10 days I was calmed down, totally relaxed and had no sleeping problems at all although I was a little jet-lagged in the beginning. Even when I was back in Germany I could sleep like a baby and felt in general much better, stronger and detoxified. I will definetely come back and plan to go there once a year to stay healthy and feel good.

I travelled alone and got shortly in touch with others travelling alone and the guests were all very nice coming from all parts of the world, but most of them from German speaking Europe. It is also recommendable for friends or couples, I even met a mother spending her holiday there together with her daughter.

This was really one of my best trips and it's not just travelling somewhere but also a trip to yourself. You have time to think about who and where you are standing in your life at the moment, where you want to go as this surrounding is perfect for helping to find yourself. It's also good to get over something. Also some treatments reveal repressed feelings or happenings so you get the chance to face and deal with them, at least you'll be aware of them.

Room Tip: the beach front rooms are perfect and beautiful.
3  Thank Juli595
Reviewed 18 April 2012

This was my first ayruvedic experience. Compared to other natural health practices the diagnois seems light - they didn't seem to probe too deeply or reveal new information. Having said that if want you want/need is to relax and recouperate and generally detox then I can't recommend it highly enough. The food is fantastic and actually it's very good value - I only really realised this once I had travelled around sri lanka a bit more - in fact I wished I stayed at the retreat for longer!

the beach is nice,, but there are touts - I don't know if the other beach is more private, but you can avoid the touts by staying within the grounds of the resort or lying by the pool.

the room I stayed in was basic but I think they are doing up all the rooms so this might be remedied.

there is only beginners yoga a couple of times a week so if you are looking for that then you might be disappointed
Overall thoguh I did feel very relaxed and refreshed at the end of my stay and would go back again

3  Thank steena100
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beruwala
Cinnamon Bey Beruwala
Centara Ceysands Resort & Spa Sri Lanka
Lanka Princess
Lanka Princess
#2 of 6 in Aluthgama

Been to Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort? Share your experiences!