Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort
Agoda.com
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewshealth centreherbal bathtai chitreatment planhealth problemsno meatmen and womensalt water swimming poolpure relaxationsri lankano stressyoga and meditationoffer yogadinner tablesound of the wavessmiling staffswim in the ocean
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I just returned from the Hotel and I cannot stop raving about the place. I never did an Ayurvedic Treatment before but this place changed my mind. We arrived on the 7 June early morning at the airport and got a pick up from a very friendly driver of the Hotel. It toke us 2.5 Hours, with a coffee break on the way, to the Hotel. We were welcomed by very friendly staff that seems to never say No to anyone or anything. After check in and orientation we got introduced to our doctor who was amazing and here we started with the "experience within". Acupuncture every morning, massage, and steam bath or herbal bath, everything you could imagine to make you healthy. The herbal medicine was specific for every guest and made on the premises.
The Hotel organizes tours and educational evenings to understand the Treatment etc.
Hotel drivers are available for a very reasonable price. (Watch out for the beach boys with the Tuc Tuc’s, they are crazy drivers and Tuc Tucs in SL don’t have insurance)
Nearby Townships are ok for shopping, a bit expensive but you can bargain.

We stayed in a Beach Villa but I think I will book a normal room next time since all the rooms are very well maintained and it does not make a huge difference to where you stay.

Meals are based on your diet and very tasty, mainly vegetarian with fish.
Some nights we enjoyed a dinner buffet and some nights we had set menu. In the morning and lunch time we got served a buffet what suits every taste.

All in all, the staff in the restaurant, the nurses, doctors, ground staff from sweeper over pool attendant… congratulation to all of you. You make your hotel and country proud. I can highly recommend this hotel for an Aryuvedic Treatment but go for two weeks not like me only one.

Barberyn... I will be back!!

Thanks for a pleasant holiday

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chefmike_13
DorotheaBarberyn, Manager at Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Many thanks indeed for your comprehensive review of the resort. I am really pleased that you are now an Ayurveda convert! Thank you for the tips about the tuc tucs, they are indeed dangerous and we can organise taxis for guests no problem. We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort for two weeks next time!
Barberyn Ayurveda Resorts, Sri Lanka.

Reviewed 20 April 2013

I recently spent a month in Sri Lanka. The final 8 days I chose to spend at an Ayurvedic treatment center. After searching the internet I chose Barberyn Reef as it was listed as one of the oldest authentic Ayurvedic places in S.L. I could not have been more pleased with my choice.
The people were all warm and friendly, especially the therapists giving synchronous massage.
The initial and on-going two interviews with the doctor were informative and I felt she understood my specific concerns immediately.
Foods prepared varied daily and were both delicious and authentic--very fresh and well-prepared.
Treatments were lovely (massage) and interesting (cleansing & healing)
I left feeling I want to return on an annual basis. The only difficulty for me is that it is a very long air journey from the USA to Sri Lanka. I consider this a treatment center rather than a "spa"--so people need to understand the difference. My ocean front "villa" was a delight; I loved listening to the ocean surf all day and all night.

Room Tip: Chose an ocean front if possible
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank Ann O

Dear Ann,
Thank you so much for your review. I am really glad that you had a good experience with us in Sri Lanka. What a shame it is such a long journey to Sri Lanka from the States, we do hope you can come back again!
Kindest regards, Barberyn Ayurveda Resorts

Reviewed 25 February 2013

I travelled to the beautiful Barberyn Reef Ayurvedic Resort in Sri Lanka with my sister in law who had previously been. Of the approximate 95 guests there, over 30 were returning clients.We were picked up from the airport and travelled 2 hours to the resort on the edge of the Indian ocean. We saw an Ayurvedic doctor on arrival and treatments and medicines were prescribed. My day started with a walk along the beach before breakfast and then an acupuncture session followed by a massage administered by two gentle Sri Lankan young women. a visit to the Herb garden and the application of poultices was followed by a herbal bath. The food is fabulously healthy and plentiful and all the staff throughout the resort are kind, helpfull and professional. Faultless! Our room was the best in the resort and had a small grassed area at the front and was just a few meters from the water. Optional tours are available at no cost to all guests as is Yoga, Tai Chi and Meditation. I spent hours doing nothing and felt invigorated. My only suggestions to improve an almost perfect time would be to ban smoking within the resort grounds, have free WiFi as the current system is frustrating to say the least, and to have some cultural music in the evenings rather that modern western! I will return. It was amazing and my body and soul benefited from the Ayurvedic treatments I received.

Room Tip: although more expensive, beach front rooms were lovely! There was no ac but ceiling fans worked well as did an open door at night. Mosquito nets are provided
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Jane K

Dear Jane
Many thanks for your review, I am glad you had a successful time at the resort. Many thanks for your suggestions regarding the cultural music and the wifi. I will make sure your suggestions are considered. There is a plan to roll out a new system for the wifi so it is accessible in rooms, this will be shortly as for as I know so I will check up on this. Our one hope with charging for the wifi is that it would keep people off their phones and laptops so that they can concentrate on relaxing! More news soon on this. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sri Lanka.
Barberyn Ayurveda Resorts, Sri Lanka.

Reviewed 23 February 2013

So much more than a resort. The location is just amazing right on the sea. The lush well tended, peaceful, gardens give you the impression you are really in paradise no matter how many guests are there. Beautiful fresh sea water swimming pool and some of the most delicious healthy food I have ever been privileged to eat.The staff are fantastic and that makes the treatments they offer really life changing for so many who come there to heal.It is rare to be able to find such a beautiful natural location that also provides such quality food and both Ayurveda and Acupuncture. This was my second time and sure not to be my last..I am happy to recommend it as the perfect healing holiday to treat yourself to. Dr Enid Hendershot Rishikesh India

Room Tip: Both of my visits I stayed in cottages facing the sea and they were marvelous.Never thought of AC. lovely fresh sea breeziness 24 hrs a day.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Ramanas

Many thanks for such a lovely review. I am so pleased that you continue to enjoy your experiences with us. We really look forward to welcoming you back to Barberyn!
Barberyn Ayurveda Resorts, Sri Lanka

Reviewed 25 January 2013

I went to this resort on my own for a peaceful holiday. And it did more than live up to expectations. Perfectly relaxing, calming and marvelous in many ways. The only downside was that there was no wifi in the rooms and the wifi cards that you have to buy to use in common areas are neither fast nor reliable.

Also it costs money to both make and receive calls, so for less than USD5 I got 7 days unlimited blackberry and data package with a local number...i spent a lot of time what's app'ing pictures of my dinner around the world. (though again coverage wasn't always greta in the rooms)

On the topic of rooms the one i stayed in for the first nights was lovely, simple but sweet, one floor up with a great view out over the indian ocean. They moved me for the last night to a growndfloor room with less ventilation that as a result had that dampish tropical smell. Avoid this if you can - its still nice but not as nice.

On the plus side the food was OMG amazing, the location on the sea was divine (the beach is the perfect length for a pre-breakfast barefoot run or an evening stroll). It sounds petty to whinge about the internet and you may think that wifi is not that vital (you're on holiday, so why check email right?), well for some one travelling alone there were hundreds of things that i wanted to look up and would have prefered to do so in my room under a mosquito net. EG what all the things I was eating were, where can I buy them before leaving, is it possible to buy then at home, history of ayruveda, local property prices.....

I was only there for a short while, with out any immediately addressable health concerns but i came away feeling very refreshed and relaxed - each day the aruvedic 'treatments' including massages, baths, accupuncture and all sorts of other things take up about 2+ hours. And the ladies administering this were all lovely. Though, becuase most people who go there are german they would often speak to me in German which was disconcerting but added an interesting layer to the communication.

Finally, the trip from the airport to Barberyn was almost 4 hours in the middle of the day and took only a little over an hour to go back again setting off at 3am for a 7:25am flight. As a result we had a little free time at 4am in columbo, so I convinced the driver to stop so we could buy a 'king' coconut to drink from the thousands ammassed by streetvendors selling them wholesale in the early hours to shop keepers around the capital. It was a highlight!

I enjoyed the day trips (though the prices in the shop at the resort are cheaper than the souvenier shops they take you too so check it out first) to Galle and the boat trip. The yoga was also good but is not every morning it alternates in the afternoons so if you want to go on a day trip you will miss this.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo