“one of the best holidays we have had”
Review of The Palms Hotel

The Palms Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Beruwala
Reviewed 22 June 2010

well run and well staffed hotel could not praise staff enough from gardner to manager all making our stay welcome.Food was out of this world varied everyday .
One of the two holidays have had where i didnt want to go home

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank grobbyLincolnshire

Reviewed 10 June 2010

We spent the new years eve and two days later at this hotel. It has a great beach. The New Year Eve party was well planned and executed. All the guests enjoyed passing of the year. We were there in a group of two families with two children each. The hotel had something for everyone. The staff was very helpfull and even allowed us to check out at 5PM so that we could enjoy the beach some more.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 January 2010

Great buffet food when weddings and conferences were held but a few very poor evening meals including one where there were no potatoes or rice and left over cake for dessert.
Pool and beach are fine, room boys very helpful, beautiful gardens and lovely foyer . Bar ok but no diet coke.. forget the free wine at dinner!
Beach boys are not a problem.. just say' no thanks' or if you hook up with one the others seem to leave you alone.
long trip to and from the airport... visit the local markets, temples and elephant sanctuary.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mcneillhm
Reviewed 31 December 2009

I was at this hotel on New Year's eve '09/10. my friends and i left our purses on the table and ran out to the garden to view the fireworks display. when we returned to our table, my purse was gone. I was not the only victim, another lady in the adjoining table also lost her purse. When i complained to the Management, they did nothing about it. It was very obvious it was one of the staff that had stolen the purses.
The Manager on duty told me that he had informed the security guards, so that no one can leave the hotel. but when i left the hotel early this morning 01/01/2010, i asked the securty guards if they knew anything about the missing purses, they had no clue.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank Michelle268
Reviewed 13 November 2009

The best holiday ever, absolutely nothing to complain about, except a little rain!
How could anyone complain about this hotel. It was perfect in every way.
I am so looking forward to going back, made so many wonderful friends.
Wish i was still there.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Trudy241165
Reviewed 27 September 2009

We were a little apprehensive arriving at the Palms due to reading a couple of negative reviews. We had no cause to worry! After a long journey from Colombo we were greeted very warmly by the managment. and given a refreshing drink! Our room was a good size and we had a spectacular sea view.The bed was comfy and the room very clean with aircon and a ceiling fan. The hotel is lovely with a fountain and stream running through the reception and bar area.

The food was excellent ! I am vegetarian and rather picky with my food. However, there was a fab selection of meat dishes as well as vegetarian. They also served tea, cofee ,sandwiches and biscuits at around 11.30 and 4.00. So you won't starve!

The service by all the staff was tremendous.They were all very professional and extremely friendly. We were always served extremely well whether we tipped or not. At times, we were rather embarrased at the way some individuals ( UK guests) spoke to the bar staff. The bar staff were very professional dealing with the abuse! They do have to abide by the rules set by managment , for instance they cannot give out double shots but what is stopping guests getting up and ordering another single drink?

The location of the hotel is superb the beach is lovely. We would sunbathe around the pool area overlooking the beach. As previously mentioned in other reviews the sea is very rough and it is not advised to swim too far. There is not a great deal going on outside the hotel and therefore I would suggest taking a few trips.

Some guests used the Beach boys but we were recommended a guide who was absolutely brilliant. We did a 2 night 3 day tour with him which included Siguryia, elephant orphanage, Millenium Elephant Foundation (this involved a ride and an elephant shower! )Kandy, Little England, Drambulla, Temple of the tooth, tea factories, gemshop,etc We were driven in an air conditioned van and were looked after extremely well. Our guide always made sure that we were given the best seats and views wherever we went. He was very trustworthy and I would strongly recommend him and his driver. We did another 2 day safari with him because we were so impressed. If you would like his details feel free to contact me !

We had a wonderful time in Sri Lanka and I would certainly recommend the Palms hotel. I would suggest you go on tour for a couple of days to experience the real Sri Lanka. I will definately return in the near future!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
8  Thank ClaireFormby
Reviewed 27 September 2009

The Palms, Beruwela

My husband and I (28, 27) spent two weeks at The Palms from 25th August 2009. We booked with Mercury Direct and paid £860 each. We flew direct Heathrow to Colombo with Sri Lankan Airlines. We booked our seats online and this worked well. However when you get to the Airport if you book in online you cannot check in until 2 hours before although they made an exception for us. We thought Sri Lankan Airlines were fantastic. The food and drink were excellent – no waiting hours for the drinks trolley – if you wanted a drink or a snack you could just go to the galley. An enormous down side for us was that we were on a night flight with a large wedding party who abused the ability to get free alcohol easily and all got very drunk meaning they were very noisy so not much sleep for us! The seat back entertainment was good although it is not on demand and my husband was upset his did not work for games.

On arrival at the airport there was a duty free section and here prices were in dollars although you can pay by card. We then changed money on exiting the airport – plenty of places all with the same exchange rate. We were met quickly by someone with a Mercury Direct sign and escorted to an air conditioned Taxi. The journey to Beruwela took about 2 and a half hours but if our driver had not been driving like a lunatic it would have easily taken 3.

We arrived at The Palms, the gates were opened and we walked through beautiful gardens where we checked in. The grounds of the hotel were beautifully kept and we saw lizards and land monitors. It was the quickest check in I have ever experienced – we barely had time to drink the welcome drink we had been given before being shown to our room. We were room number 304 which (like all rooms) had a sea view but also a nice view of the pool. We did not have a bath but a shower cubicle and this was fine for us. The shower itself had excellent pressure and the room was clean and functional with a table and chairs, TV area and balcony. The a/c was great as was the ceiling fan. It was not the most luxurious room I have ever stayed in but bearing in mind the price of the holiday I was pleasantly surprised. The towels were replaced daily (though if you are fussy about towels I would take your own as they were getting a little threadbare).

We had tea and coffee making facilities. We asked for our mini bar to be unlocked purely so we could keep drinks we purchased refrigerated – simply buy your own stuff and take theirs out! There was a jug of water in the bathroom which you could use for brushing your teeth etc. At the start of our holiday we were given a 2 litre bottle of water every other day but about half way through we got a new one every day (which was much appreciated but not quite sure why this changed). When we arrived there was no mosquito plug so we plugged in our own. We were abit disappointed that we were not then given one (presumably because we had our own) but they did come regularly to give us refills. I am confident that had we asked for one it would have been given. The TV did not have a DVD player facility and the channels we most watched were BBC World News, and National Geographic HBO movies (both of which were incredibly repetitive). If you are someone who wants to watch a lot of TV then I would recommend bringing a laptop or something.

The front of house staff and the staff at the Bureau du Change were excellent. It does have a slightly worse exchange rate at the hotel (when we were there 172 to the pound whereas we got 180 at the airport) but it would be handy. They were excellent at changing large notes to small ones for no fee at any time.

The bar itself is on a mini island surrounded by a kind of fish pond which wanders around the entrance and restaurant and the seating area then overlooked the gardens and the pool. I can understand why some people moan about the all inclusive but I think this is more lack of asking rather than lack of choice – what is included and not included is quite tricky to work out and you have to ask directly. In summary included soft drinks are: soda, tonic, water, sprite, ginger beer, coke (not diet!). Fresh Juice is not all inclusive BUT cordials are so you could have lime, mango, orange passion and some others. If you want diet drinks you can buy them or of course bring them with you or buy locally and keep in the mini bar. Alcohol all inclusive was local vodka, gin, whisky, brandy, rum and arrack, all of which was of a high quality and very drinkable. The beer was lion beer which was really nice. Wine is not included on the all inclusive but was about 400 rupees per glass I think (though see my note). You could also have an all inclusive pina colada but this was too sweet for me (careful though, there is also a version that is not all inclusive). Saying all this, if you did want a different drink or a cocktail the prices were reasonable for a hotel.

The pool itself was kept wonderfully clean and yet did not feel at all chemically – I think it is one of the best I have swam in. There are loungers around the pool area which were incredibly comfy in comparison to most and large shades to hide from the sun or rain! However when we were there the hotel was very quiet and when it started to get busier there were not enough beds around the pool and even the ones on the grass (which we tried to avoid for the bugs) were full. I therefore think that in high season this could be a problem. On the weekends the hotel filled up with Sri Lankan’s and there was a number of weddings which was great to see. It did not really affect being around the pool though as they tended to favour the shade and so sat in the bar.

The beach was lovely. I cannot understand the comments that said it was unclean – we did not see any litter directly outside the hotel. Yes, if you walk along the beach then you do see that litter has been washed up so perhaps people expect the hotel to clean up miles of coastline? If you wanted to walk on the beach undisturbed the best time was first thing in the morning – between 8 and 9. If you went out later in the day then you would be stopped regularly and offered things to buy but if you say no with a smile and walk on there is no problem. As for sand flies, we were worried about these and when we were there people told us they had been bitten but one afternoon we took our towels out to the beach and laid out there – we were left alone by the sand flies and by the beach sellers!

The Palms Beach Boy is Sharli (mentioned in other posts as Shirley or Charlie). He showed us his tourist licence and we decided to do the Kandy Trip with him. We also visited a waterfall and local temple and the turtle project with him. If anyone wants to book with any beach boy I would strongly suggest you read the forums to find out how to do so safely. We followed these tips and were very happy with Sharli’s services. The Kandy trip was £75. He wanted UK pounds but we paid in rupee’s and had to haggle abit over the exchange rate. We were picked up at 7am in a new, very posh, air conditioned van. We did the trip with three other couples which was really nice. On the way there we stopped off at a rubber plantation, pineapple farm (and ate fresh pineapple). However we then stopped at a Spice Garden and frankly I wished I had insisted on staying in the van. If you believed what they tell you, you could use this product and never get fat no matter what you ate, or cure your diabetes!! It was overpriced and a supreme hard sell. We left buying nothing. We then stopped for some Mangosteen and Red Banana’s and it was great to try new things. Next stop was the Botantical Gardens and we had an excellent guide and thoroughly enjoyed this. We were starving by now and stopped at a restaurant overlooking the lake. The setting was beautiful and we saw some wild monkey’s but there was not much Sri Lankan food and we felt it was expensive at around 800 rupees a main course though the other couples seemed happy and (other than tipping the special guide at the gardens) it was the first time we put our hand in our wallet that day. We then got dropped off at the hotel which I was incredibly impressed with. I was expecting something abit run down and dodgy but although the room was smaller it was as good if not better than the Palms. We then had a short break and were picked up again to go and see a Kandyan Dance which was good fun. We then went to the Temple of the Tooth and again a special guide had been laid on who timed our tour perfectly and was very well informed. Then back to the hotel where dinner was all included though we paid for drinks which were very reasonable (I drank an arrack cocktail for 295 rupee’s).

The next day we were picked up early and driven around in search of gem shops but most seemed closed. I got the impression that this was done because they thought we actually wanted to do it and not for commission as we tried about 4 different shops before finding an open one. None of us bought anything and this was no problem. Next stop was a tea plantation which was great and we had tea and cake. All of us liked this particularly as the tea and other gifts were not thrust upon us and were set prices – so we all bought quite a lot! We then began the drive the Pinnewela to see the Elephants bath time. Our guide Cici (Sharli’s cousin) had it all planned to perfection and we were always in the best spot. Then we had a break for lunch although we went off gift shopping and got some leather purses for our nieces for 250 rupee’s each. We then went to see the elephants feed and it had been organised so that the ladies in our group fed a baby elephant with a bottle – amazing! You cannot ride elephants at Pinnewela and we drove about 10 minutes to somewhere you could though half of us did not for ethical reasons.

We then drove back. We were abit disappointed our guide would not let us stop for streetfood as he said it would make us poorly so instead we waited and stopped at a restaurant. My husband and I had a takeaway lunch packet (rice and curry) which was a little overpriced at 300 rupees and cold but never mind. Bearing in mind all we had to pay for was tips, lunch and any gifts we wanted to buy, for £75 each we thought this was a great value trip.

However if you do any trip with Sharli you must do the Kosgoda Turtle Sanctuary. Sharli charges 800 rupees to get you there and back in a Tuk Tuk We felt that this was great value because he shows you round and you get to handle the turtles if you do this kind of visit it costs 200 rupees each entrance on top of the 800 to get there and back. We went back another day and released turtles into the sea. Sharli contacted them in advance to check that they have turtles ready to release and we think we got more than we would have normally – we released about 25 between four of us. When we arrived we thought the entry cost was 1000 rupees each to release the turtles but Sharli told us that it was buy one get one free so we paid 1000 between us. However they do such great work we just spent more in the gift shop to ensure they still got the money. For the cost, I would actually recommend doing both trips as if you just go for the release this happens after the sun has gone down and the light is not good enough to see the turtles as we did on our first visit.

We combined our first visit to the turtles with a visit to the local temple (where they have an enormous Buddha) and the waterfall (which was about 2 hours round trip away, accessible only by Tuk Tuk) The waterfall was beautiful with crystal clear waters and we saw water buffalo on the way. In total we paid 3750 rupees. As you can see, we were very pleased with Sharli.

Another thing we enjoyed was the Coconut bar. On leaving the hotel on the beach, turn right and about 200 yards down is the Coconut bar. As it is around the corner this is the best place to watch the sunset (it is obscured when you are at the hotel). Cocktails ranged from 290 to 390 rupees and were delicious! They did a rum and chocolate ice cream one which was to die for. Beer was also cheap and bottled.

I have saved the best to last – the food at the hotel. I cannot comment on the western food served as, with the exception of the odd soup, my husband and I did not eat it at all. The Head Chef Mahesh was absolutely fantastic and showed us around his kitchens which were immaculate. If you like Sri Lankan rice and curry you will not be disappointed – there was fantastic crab curries, chicken, lamb, vegetable as well as specialities such as pineapple curry. They did a delicious coriander and seafood broth as well. At night there was always someone cooking something fresh in the restaurant. For me, the bad days were when this was pasta and hot dogs. We mentioned to Mahesh that we wanted to try Kottu Roti and Hoppers and low and behold shortly after they were served. The Kottu Roti in particular was absolutely amazing. However we like very hot food and a lot of the curries would have been too hot for my parents. For breakfast, you could get a freshly cooked omelette or fried egg if you liked and there seemed to be all the ingredients for a fry up however we stuck to curry for breakfast lunch and dinner. Unfortunately, the hotel allow a group to play what felt like nearly every night (called a Calypso band) their first few songs were fine but just as you relaxed into your meal they would stand in front of you and personally serenade you selling their CD. This was very off putting and meant that you felt you had to rush dinner.

We also made friends with Ruchinda, the front of house manager, and as mentioned her staff were exceptional. We told her that we were there for our anniversary and she asked if we would like a special meal served in the tree house overlooking the beach. This was incredibly reasonable and we had a prawn cocktail, seafood soup, seafood platter (including half a lobster which was delicious and then a chocolate mousse cake with vanilla ice cream and a fruit kebab). All of the food was, as mentioned, amazing and we had a really special anniversary thanks to her and Mahesh.

I said I would mention the wine. There is a choice of red of white and you get one tiny glass at dinner only. The red was perfectly drinkable. Although I drank the white, I can safely say it is the worst wine I have ever been served, though the quality did vary I think because they buy it in enormous 5 litre bottles so perhaps when it gets to the end it is not as good… I like dry white wine generally, and this had almost a Retsina taste to it. However I would say that wine in Sri Lanka is incredibly expensive and we did not mind this restriction as the rest of the all inclusive was so generous. I would say that if you are a big wine drinker or if you are there during a poya moon day – bring a box with you!

The hotel gives everyone a voucher for a free head massage and a free body massage. I first had the body massage which was fine. The treatments were very reasonable and so I booked for my free head massage and an additional foot massage and facial massage, both of which should have taken 30 minutes each. So I went for my treatments expecting to be an hour and 20 minutes approx. I paid (1000 rupees for foot massage and 1000 rupees for a facial massage) before we started. Within 20 minutes, it had finished. She asked if I was happy and I said that it seemed very quick, then she pretended that she had looked at her watch wrongly. This was totally wrong as her watch was kept on the table and I looked at it when I was getting dressed and it was the right time. Besides, even a newly qualified masseuse will do the same massages time and again and they take the same amount of time. I should have asked for a refund, but she offered to do more so after a further 10 minutes I was off again. I could have complained and was confident I could get a refund but I didn’t want to get her fired. A warning for everyone though – get your free massage but don’t pay for any more.

On a more positive note, I got a dress made in one of the shops on the beach. She wanted a lot for it but in the end we paid 2,000. It is not as well fitted as I would like but I think that was my fault as I did not want it too loose. Again they probably would have taken it in but I was leaving… the shop was Ishara and I would recommend them.

Sorry for the insanely long review but when we were looking to book the Palms there was not much information about it… so I hope this helps people. Any questions please send me an IM and I will answer them. In summary, we had an amazing, great value holiday, and I would recommend the Palms.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
18  Thank JocelynAlexander
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beruwala
Cinnamon Bey Beruwala
Vivanta by Taj - Bentota
The Surf Hotel
The Surf Hotel
#6 of 25 in Bentota

Been to The Palms Hotel? Share your experiences!