“Truly nice hotel with friendly staff”

Le Cap Est Lagoon Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Le Francois
San Diego, California
“Truly nice hotel with friendly staff”
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Stayed here on our first night of a 2 week Carribean island hopping tour. The hotel is situated tucked away on the South Eastern part of the island, a good 30 minute taxi ride from the airport (US$100 cab ride - consider renting a car).

Staff was warm and friendly and doing everything to be helpful - always with a smile.

Hotel itself is 50 suites in villas, each overlooking the ocean. Our suite was new and comfortable with lots of fans, Molten Brown toileteries, a small "swimming" (more "dipping") pool and an outdoor shower. Beach is picturesque but small. Main pool is gorgeous. Only issue it that the property feels a bit packed in and one sees lots of neighboring properties around so one does not feel to be in a secluded location.

Restaurant service was again very sweet but a bit slow (who cares, it's vacation). Food itself was good but not great. Wine list was surprisingly large and not too expensive.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SuitNflipflops
Valerie_Deguitre, Responsable commercial at Le Cap Est Lagoon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
First at all please let us thank you for having taken the time to give us your feedback following your stay with us. We will pass on your comments to the team and we are sure that they will be delighted to read them! They will also be a great source of motivation for a team that takes pleasure in doing their job and making our guests as happy as possible. We very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.
Best regards,
Valerie Deguitre

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Bochum
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Cap Est is a fine hotel situated on the atlantic coast of Martinique.

Don't be fooled, do to a reef far out in the ocean, they have very quiet beaches, great for children (contrary to what we expected from an Atlantic-spot).

We (two adults, one 6 yo daughter) stayed fpr one week in may, which is off season. We have booked their garden suite. Excellent room, good AC, very clean and very good quality of all items (tech, furniture). Nicely decorated wit a woodwn deck and small "private" garden patch. Good free Lavazza coffee in the room. Beds are very good, our daughter slept in an extra bed. The room is big enough for one of these, two might be little too much for the space availabe.

The hotel has direct access to two small but very clean beaches. Due to the reef the beaches are 100% child-savvy. On one of the beaches was some kitesurf equipment and some fun catamarans. I believe, that could be used by the guests ( sorry, we were lazy).
They also have a nice long dock at another area of the cape. Some beach chairs and great vievs over the bay make this a nice alternative to both beach and pool.

There is a very nice infinity pool in a large, neat garden. My daughter spent 90%. of her waking hours in this pool. Nice deck chairs and a good bar service at the pool made it easy for us parents to follow.

Breakfast was vey OK, allthough you might expect just a little more variety in a hotel with this price tag. But the buffet had all the basics in very good quality as well as the option for freshly made eggs and crepes.

Restaurants and bar are all quite good. The wine selection is excellent: Everything from a good 40€ bottle up to a 2.800 Petrus. The variety on the menus are OK for three days, that is a bit low, for our taste. Quality was good. A nice mix of french-ccreole. I Perceived the prices in the restaurants and the bar a bit too high for the value. Especially if your in for a snack or a light salad, it was too expensive. Main dishes were fairly priced for such a place (it's not your creole beach bar bargain). Nice: Nobody tries to talk you into the premiums and the "wine of the day" is usually a very reasonably priced recommendation of good quality (opposed to some places, where they sneak a mediocre highpricer on your check). Somelier was good and helpful.

The staff was a real highlight. My french is a bit ruaty, but they were extremely competent in English and even a bit of German. Nice feature in France :). But quality and efficiency was not limited to language. This was one of the best and friendliest team we have enjoyed. I do not know what happens in high season, with loads of guests, but they were great during our visit.

The hotel is some miles out of the town of Le Francois. So in case you are planning to do anything outside of the hotel, plan to rent a car. There is basically nothing in walking distance. They offer rental cars at reasonable rate (we booked through them, it was appx. 5 Euro per day more expensive than the cheapest we could find on the net). With the car, we were free to check out alle places on the really not so big island. Definately enough sites for a good week, after that, I would probably like to move on...

All in all: full recommendation for families!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank fvberswordt
Valerie_Deguitre, Responsable commercial at Le Cap Est Lagoon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
First at all please let us thank you for having taken the time to give us your feedback following your stay with us. We will pass on your comments to the team. They will be a great source of motivation for a team that takes pleasure in doing their job and making our guests as happy as possible.

Also, our Food and Beverage Manager has taken into account your comments.

We very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
Reviewed 7 May 2012

My wife and I stayed to this hotel few week ago.From accomodation to Food and service evrything was fantastic.
The food from the gastronomic restaurant and from the beach restaurant was certainly the best food I never had.Good ambiance and friendly service during all our stay.We will definitely coming back very soon.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Managment-Hilton
Valerie_Deguitre, Responsable commercial at Le Cap Est Lagoon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
First at all please let us thank you for having taken the time to give us your feedback following your stay with us. We will pass on your comments to the team. They will also be a great source of motivation for us. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon,

Many thanks once again.

San Francisco
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My wife and I stayed at Cap Est in October 2010 (yes I know that was some time ago!) and will never forget this place. While it was out of season and we came as a package from American Airlines, we were treated as the 'only' guests that the Resort had. Staff were without fault, some spoke English (why do 'guests' go to a different country and then expect everyone to speak English), food was well presented and quietly served in ocean view spaces. The beach bar is...a beach bar. The sea was clean and clear. Getting around the island, yes you do need a car, but with so many great places to see, why are you just drinking in the bar...get out and view another country.
Going back...you bet yer! , why,? because as you read down the other comments below, note that the manager has tried to answer everyone, now that's customer service (NOTE: I have NO connection of any sort to Cap Est, Martinique or American Airlines)

Room Tip: Spring for the second floor rooms with the ocean view, yes it's money but there's no regrets...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Barry G
Valerie_Deguitre, Responsable commercial at Le Cap Est Lagoon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
First at all please let us thank you for having taken the time to give us your feedback following your stay with us. We will pass on your comments to the team and we are sure that they will be delighted to read them! They will also be a great source of motivation for a team that takes pleasure in doing their job and making our guests as happy as possible. We very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back and showing you some of the new features and services that we provide since you last stayed.

Many thanks once again.

Anthony Torkington & Valerie Deguitre
Troyes, France
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I invited a group of sales managers for dinner at the beach restaurant of the resort (which is not the main restaurant). Avoid this place! Food is very average, service is appalling and prices are a rip-off (130€ pp for a cocktail, a salad, a steak, one scoop of ice-cream and some average wine). I had decided not to review but when a friend told me of the night he proposed his wife at the same place, I changed my mind. I live in Martinique and can recommend some places half the price that a turist will remember for a lifetime.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank Chrisquitolindo
Anthony_Torkington, Directeur général at Le Cap Est Lagoon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
First of all please let me thank you for having taken the time to give us your feedback following the group dinner you had at our beach restaurant.
In order to be able to reply fully and try and understand why the service and food were visibly not up to your expectations, could I ask you to be as kind as to ask you to send me a contact email address? You can send the information for my attention at reception@capest.com
Many thanks.
Yours Sincerely
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I can recommend this resort. It is the best accommodation on the whole island. I liked very much dinners at the restaurant Le Belem with professional service. On the other hand I recommend the book 15 minute French. To understand something is very helpful (e.g. at breakfast: Do you have a pancake? No. Hmm… Do you have a crêpe. Yes.). The best option is to rent a car and to make a lot of trips (e.g. Mount Pelée), because Martinique is very nice and save island. Quality of roads is very high. BTW the best snorkeling (amount of fish) in the resort is directly under jetty.

Room Tip: villas near jetty with lookout into the ocean
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Beige-bear
First of all let me take this opportunity to thank you for having given us your feedback following your recent stay with us.
We are delighted that the quality of the hotel and the service that we provide met up to your expectations.
We are currently working on a training program to enhance the level of English that is spoken by our team. And we have recently given them little booklets to help them with the basics in English!
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Cap Est Resort.
Kindest Regards,
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Upon arrival we had to take our luggage to the reception area as there was no one around to take care of it!
Finding someone who can speak English is like winning the lottery! When I mentioned this to the GM his reply was that his clients are usually French (speaks for itself)! When I asked the reception about site seeing I was told they would get back to me as they would have to contact the Tourist Office for information!
To call this establishment as resort is a far cry from reality, there are no organised activities, no initiatives, no activities for kids!
The beach is a small strip of sand with stones and algae, you risk your life by swimming in the sea as the kite surfers race along the water in front of the beach with absolute no regards for the swimmers.
The food is average and you have to live with the same limited menu for all your stay.
No water or fruit is supplied to the suites.
The suite are poor in quality, furniture old and some nailed shut and the cleaning left a lot to be desired, the plunge pool area seems as if it was hit by a tsunami. The A/C in our suite only worked at 15 degrees. 1 English channel CNN!
New Years dinner and entertainment ended at 11pm when the 3 piece band packed their instruments and left. I found out later (day before I left) that we were apparently supposed to move to the bar area and watch the fire works from there. Would have been nice to have been told so EARLIER! Communication is obviously another of their strong points.

I spoke to the GM and he mentioned that he had taken over from May and that it was a work in progress and as far as I'm concerned it needs a lot of work! There is no way that it comes close to real 5 star resorts, at most its comparable to 3 star establishments(with 5 star costs).

I will be uploading photos!

Room Tip: If you know it you avoid it!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Tomamoc
Anthony_Torkington, Directeur général at Le Cap Est Lagoon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Dear Sir,
First of all may I thank you for having taken the time to publish your comments on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us.
It is a shame that the discussion that we had together at the end of your stay is not completely reflected in the comments that you have made. Effectively I told you that the majority of our guests were French speaking but I did not use this as an excuse. Our staff all followed a training course in English in November 2011 and we intend on continuing this training in 2012. We are aware that improvements can always be made in the level of spoken English and hence we are taking the necessary steps to optimise the current level.
We organise 2 excursions each week for our guests, 3 themed evenings in our beach restaurant per week and the beach sports base has kayaks, windsurfers and sailing boats on offer free of charge for hotel guests. There is also a kite surfing school on site. Aquagym sessions are also organised 5 times a week. The hotel also has a sports boat that can be rented by guests with skipper.
I apologise for the apparent lack of communication on our behalf concerning the entertainment on the 31st of December. The guests in the restaurant that you dined in were invited to join the bar at 11pm and watch the 20 minute firework display and enjoy the music that lasted until 1am.

Once again I thank you for having given the feedback and I very much hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Cap Est so that you can review your judgment. Please feel free to contact me should you wish to discuss your comments in futher detail (reception@capest.com). Yours Sincerely.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Le Francois
#1 of 5 in Le Francois
Diamant Beach
Diamant Beach
#1 of 4 in Le Diamant

Been to Le Cap Est Lagoon Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!