“Nice place, location not for everyone.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Akrotiri Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Akrotiri Hotel
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Akrotiri
Toronto
“Nice place, location not for everyone.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

I want to keep this concise and balanced. We stayed for a week in June. It is a two star Hotel with nice verandas and decent rooms and secluded location. Beds are doubles and hard, but decent beach hotel quality for a 2*. Close to the ruins and Red beach which while scenic is not great for swimming without beach shoes (lava gravel is hard on the feet). We tried 3 of six restaurants on the beach and Nicolas caves was the best. All were very good; The 5 massive Jumbo shrimp for about 8 euros at Stolidas caves were awesome. In Akrotiri town, Marias rocked the souvlaki and the Tsatziki was the best I have had and I've worked in Greek restos.

The bathrooms are small and the showers confining if you have a large body. A couple latches to affix the curtain would help. The shower is hand held, so you must turn off the water while you lather, and then rinse. I believe it is an ecological choice, as water is sparse on the Island. Also the hot water is only ever warm (solar heated) which also didn't bother me as the weather is hot. AC worked very well and cooled the room quickly. No screens on the windows so you cant open them at night which would have been my preferred mode of room cooling. Toilets are a gravity flush which take a bit of practice to get the hang of.

The room is a good size, cleaned daily and well. The mini-fridge while a bit loud ( we unplugged it at night) is handy. We spent little time there, but the staff and owners were always friendly and accommodated our requests which were few. Breakfasts were limited in scope, but sufficient and tasty; wonderful local heirloom tomatoes daily, an egg option, sliced meats and cheese, bread, a couple deserts and good strong percolated coffee. Also, Tasty yogurt and honey, granola and a sweetened cereal for the kids. The mini chocolate croissants were wicked.

The main drawback for us, as we were on a budget, was that the last local bus back to the hotel leaves Fira at 9:00 PM and if you are at Parisis or Kamiri for better beaches, or Oia for the sunset you must transfer at Fira. A taxi from Fira is 15 euros, though they will generally ask for 17 and you need to barter.

The location is quiet and secluded, so if this is what you are looking for it is Ideal, if you don't mind a cramped shower. It's proximity to the archeological site is great for checking that off your list, as well as red beach. Both are worth the seeing while there.

We would have enjoyed a location with more nightlife, but the local food really is amoung the best on the Island so that was a plus. The town of Akrotiri is a fair walk up hill I estimate about 1-1.5 km. the walk down is much easier, but if you come to Santorini you will get accustomed to stairs and climbing.

Again, the staff were friendly, and it was a great base from which to explore the Island, baring the few mentioned inconveniences.

Not our Ideal, but many enjoy the seclusion, quiet, good local cuisine, pleasant staff and atmosphere, inviting terraces, ocean views and decent value. Hope this helps.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
12 Thank plagepopa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Ross-on-wye
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

I stayed at this charming hotel which is the most convenient on the island for visiting the famous and excellently displayed excavations. The owner Matthew was kindness itself, and made my visit one to remember for comfort, views and general atmosphere of peace and calm. I am an octogenarian travelling alone, but I would recommend it to anyone. It is almost on the beach and there is a bus service to other areas of the island

Room Tip: my room was at the top, so excellent view, but with a few outside steps which were no problem to me...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank marian p
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

I'd seen this hotel when visiting Red Beach in previous years and always liked the location - right on the shores of Akrotiri Beach, by the last bus stop before it returns to Fira. I was looking on a return visit to Santorini to visit the re-opened archaeological diggings at Akrotiri (among other things) and decided to stay here. I'd lost the business card Mathios gave me last year, but I turned up on the day and Mathios had a room available (I had been checking on Booking.com just in case).

As we'd discussed last year, by going direct, Mathios was able to offer me a room up high (Room 17) with an amazing view. This room had a double bed, dressing table, chair, wardrobe (with drawers) and a small fridge, along with an adequate bathroom. There was a small terrace outside with two deckchairs, plus an additional two seats and a little table, all overlooking the sea. One window faced the water and along to the tavernas on the path leading towards Red Beach and the other window looked towards Vlychada Marina. There is a path that leads beyond the room up above the road to the diggings, so don't be surprised if people appear from the next room when you're sitting on the terrace.

Inside the wardrobe was a small room safe, for no extra cost, as well as two extra warm blankets, which was certainly needed as the winds were strong and we had a very strong thunderstorm on one of the nights - but my room had no shaking during all the thunder and I was toasty and warm.

I only had the breakfast on two or my three days, but on each day there was a hot, egg-based option, bread, yoghurt and honey, two types of cereals, pastries, ham and cheese, along with tea, coffee and juice. I'm sure they use the veranda in summer for breakfast, but due to the weather, mine was definitely taken indoors. Breakfast is served between 8.00 a.m. and 10.00 a.m.

The rooms were cleaned very well daily and the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful.

I was allowed to keep my room until 5.00 p.m. for no extra charge as I had a later flight. This may change if the hotel is fully booked, but it wasn't a problem in my case.

I made use of the location to be first in the door at the diggings one morning (at 8.00 a.m.), and apart from the chap taking tickets on the door, I had the place to myself for the first 25 minutes - apart from an amazing morning chorus of birdsong. As the first bus from Fira doesn't arrive until gone 9.00 a.m., this was such a bonus and reminded me of why I wanted to stay at Akrotiri Beach in the first place.

I ate at the Cave of Nikolas a couple of times and their staff were very welcoming and hepful. Kyma / The Waves is being rennovated, but I've eaten there in the past and had excellent meals.

If you want to go sea kayaking, there is a company that houses its boats in the midst of all the restaurants, and will give you a discounted rate since they don't have to arrange transportation. I didn't go in the end, due to the wind, but it looked like they were having fun on the good weather day we had.

For a non-pretentious, friendly and welcoming little hotel in a lovely area of Santorini, I very much enjoyed my stay. The bus stops right outside the hotel snack bar, which makes accessing it very easy.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a number of levels, all have a small patio area beside their door. If you want more...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Kennydon
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

we stayed in santorini for a bit short of a week during july.
it was an absolutely amazing holiday! the time was just right enough to visit all the main sights and bigger towns.
the hotel was also perfect, right on the seaside, very quiet. and you have a different taverna for dinner every night.
but bring bug repellent! the mosquitos were viscious!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank julu2020
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

The only hotel in this quiet location. The hotel owner (whose father built it) showed his consideration from the start by offering me the choice of a room with a view or easy access. He was pleasant, helpful and polite throughout, offering to let me use the room later than the standard check-out time on my last day even without being asked - a very rare courtesy from hoteliers.
The room was well equipped and everything worked. The fridge was particularly handy.
Nothing disturbed my night's sleep other than the unaccustomed sound of waves on the rocky beach - not ideal for a pre-breakfast swim but serviceable, and in any case several sandier beaches are within a short walk. The breakfast buffet was good and on time, not always the case in Greece.
The café has only a limited range, but there are several restaurants along the shore by the hotel and more options in Akrotiri village, a pleasant stroll away. I found the café handy for a beer at sunset by the sea.
The Minoan ruins are close by, so it's easy to make an early start before the tourist buses pour in. I shared the ruined town with only three or four other visitors.

Room Tip: No elevator - if you have trouble with stairs, ask for a ground-level room.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank JohntheFinn
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

We chose this hotel for the peace & tranquility! Great views of the bay from our private patio & the room & bathroom was large with much sun & lovely cool breezes. Breakfasts were sumptious & fresh. We loved the family who are very warm, hospitable,kind,helpful & accommodating. We adore the sunbeds & umbrellas on the pebble beach which is very close to the hotel. My favourite pastime before sunset was to sip an ouza which Mathios made so well. He and his wife, Anna make a lovely frappe which I enjoyed every afternoon. The seaside restaurants along the bay are so near this hotel & we loved eating each night at a different one. The best one to eat in our opinion is Nikolas Cave where Mama Margerita makes fantastic traditional Greek goat & rabbit dishes. Mathios & his Pappa are very friendly & helpful. Mama Irini makes the best breakfasts & is very beautiful. The cleaning lady, Ginka speaks great English & is very efficient & friendly. The stunning views from the 2 guest patios overlooks the sea & little bay - they are very private & for guests only. This hotel is also very close to the prehistoric Greek museum & the public buses stop right outside the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms further away from the public area where the buses stop are better & have magnificent views...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank scamons
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

This hotel is situated in a great area near the town of Akrotiri with a great view. The hotel is right near the sea ( 1 meter from the sea ). The owners of the hotel are really nice guys, always polite, happy and ready to help you in any case. They are the nicest people I've ever seen. All the rooms are very clean and pretty, there is an air conditioner and a TV set in each room. The area where the hotel is situated are not crowded with tourists and that fact is really great. There are a lot of greek taverns on the beach near the hotel, where you can eat the freashest fish and the traditional greek cousine, one of these taverns, "The caves of Nicolaos" was awarded like the best tavern on Santorini. From the beach near the hotel you can go to Red Beach ( wich is very nice), White Beach and Black Beach ( with the beautiful black voulcanic sand) by boat for 5 euros. Near this hotel is situated "The Prehistoric town of Akrotiri", the museum, the ancient city. You can rent a car or a scooter with the help of the owner of the hotel and travel across the island.
I recommend this hotel for everyone who wants to spend a great time on Santorini for a good price :)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 922Kate
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akrotiri
Stelios Place
Anemomilos Hotel Apartments
Artemis Village
Artemis Village
#4 of 15 in Karteradhos

Been to Akrotiri Hotel? Share your experiences!