“A must when in Santorini”

Akrotiri Archaeological Site
Book In Advance
More Info
US$86.39*
and up
Oia Sunset and Traditional Villages Tour in...
Ranked #6 of 17 things to do in Akrotiri
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This ancient city was covered in a heap of volcanic ash in the late 17th century B.C., preserving it for present-day archaeologists and interested tourists. The site is so well preserved that it is often referred to as the Pompeii of the Aegean.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Ths site is amazing, so interesting. Under cover which is great. Take a guide as they really uncover the history for you, which you would never fully appreciate if you walk around on your own.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,376)
All reviews
in 297 reviews
"ruins"
in 458 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were very surprised at this ancient site and what they have uncovered here. It is well worth the money and to help the future digs at the site. This whole area you are probably walking on ancient sites. Amazing!!!! We took a local bus from Fira to this location.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We got to the site, by driving, using Google maps. When we go there, we paid a fee to park. I believe it was about 3 euros. The line was a little out the gate, but it was fast moving to enter. The cost of entrance was 14 euros, for an adult, one-time ticket. They had good facilities for a restroom, and i believe i saw a little snack place, to grab a bite. When going into the site, i was a little under-whelmed. I thought it was more to view. What i saw was, them unearthing rock structures, that were the living quarters of ancient people. The walls were mostly half viewable, due to damage. I didn't think i would see full blown housing community, but it pretty much was the same throughout the site. There were a few nice vases that they unearthed whole, and a couple broken. Also, there were signs letting you know what you were looking at, and giving information on the site. I'm not a big archeological site person, so this is only my opinion. My companion is more into this than myself, but he was a little under-welmed also, but still happy to see it.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Great experience, building keeps he shy and weather off of you, and walkways get you close enough to the ruins. It was really cool.