“Perfect off the beaten path location”
Review of Kalimera Hotel

Kalimera Hotel
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Akrotiri
Reviewed 2 November 2009

My friend and I wanted a relaxing location without the high prices of Fira and Oia. The hotel was recommended on Matt Barrett's website so we gave it a try. The hotel is small, quaint and off the beaten path. We loved Akrotiri - very traditional village, with fabulous authentic restaurants in town, down on the beach and also on the road to the Lighthouse. It's necessary to have a car, but the hotel folks will reserve for you. Once we got used to the roads, we could zip around the island in no time. The hotel "infinity" pool was perfect at the end of the day, or for a lazy morning before heading out.

We loved the hotel and the location. The only downside was that the owner was not friendly. That really bothered me the first day or two, especially since it seemed they went out of their way for the other guests, all European. I chalked it up to being American....and had great fun teasing my Aussie friend that she shouldn't associate with us Yanks! We just laughed it off, and made a game out of seeing how nice, unobtrusive and undemanding we could be, even keeping our room tidy, and had great stay. Besides, everything was provided for, and in many ways that's the best type of accommodation - where your ever need is met without having to ask for anything!

I would highly recommend Hotel Kalimera for a different experience of highly touristy, but beautiful, Santorini.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 September 2009

For us, a couple of budget travelers, the Kalimera was perfect. We wanted a place somewhat secluded, far from the crowds of Fira, without the pricetag of Oia. What we got was a lovely hotel nearby to a lovely authentic Greek village. This is not a luxury hotel and it doesn't pretend to be; it is a picturesque, family run, sparkling clean, charming place, far from the tourist center. You have wonderful tavernas nearby with great views (Mama Thiras, a taverna at Caldera beach, Panorama) and with an ATV (we walked, it wasn't far) you can be at the Red Beach and the wonderful Dolphins restaurant. You can wander around the village of Akrotiri (which is as close to an authentic Greek village as you will find on Santorini) and just take in the beauty of where you are. Nothing is too far, the buses and taxis worked for us, and it would be very easy to hire transportation to explore the island. The beds were a little firm, but I think that might be my American bias; my English fiance didn't seem to mind. I think the mixed reviews of the Kalimera stem from the fact that you need to look at what you want before you stay here. It offers some amenities such as a pool bar, restaurant, free basic breakfast, and free internet; it isn't a luxury hotel, but it is a true bargain for Santorini. If you want to be near the action of Fira, have your own personal infinity pool in Oia, or stay at a five star resort, this may not be your place. If what you want is a lovely, quiet place to stay, and are on a limited budget, this place is paradise. We loved it and will come back.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2009

My friend and I stayed at the Kalimera hotel for three nights during August. It was a lovely hotel, very clean and quaint. One of the reasons we booked this particular hotel, however, was for the sea view that it boasted and the fact that it was only 200 meters from the ocean. This is a bit deceiving, however. It may be 200 meters walk from the ocean, but that is straight downhill - a VERY rough climb if you're on the return hike uphill! It was also not a very good swimming beach, as it was very rocky everywhere. If you plan to lay out and soak in the sun, this is not the place you're looking for. Also, the hotel itself is not in a good location. True, the bus stop is right out front, but you have to take a bus to get to Fira and then another bus to go anywhere else! Everything that you want to see is elsewhere on the island. There is basically nothing in Akrotiri unless you're interested in the ancient ruins (no thanks). As for the hotel itself, the pool was very nice and appealing, but slightly small. The breakfast buffet was average, with a few cereals, yogurt, deli meats (which all tasted like bologna), cheeses, bread, and hard-boiled eggs. Nice, but it gets a bit old after the first morning or two. Also, I would agree with the other reviewers about the uncomfortable beds. They were hard as a rock. And the sheets were also hard. They desperately need to try fabric softener. The bathrooms were small - especially the showers! They were maybe a 4 sq.-foot area in the corner with a shower curtain that constantly stuck to me every second of my shower! Very annoying. Overall, the Kalimera was o.k., but my friend and I were disappointed that it wasn't what we had thought it to be. I definitely would not stay there again. Even if the rooms are a little more expensive, I would try to say in Fira, Oia, or one of the towns on the East coast that have more of a resort feel with some nice sandy beaches!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank obusweetpea
Reviewed 20 August 2009

Kalimera was a great place to stay. We looked at reviews from here before booking and chose to ignore the negative reviews. We were glad that we did. To make it easy for others to make a decision to stay here, besides mentioning what we liked, I'll also try to respond to some of the negative comments to put a "hotel guest" perspective on things.

Rooms - I can't comment on the size of the rooms as we took an offer to upgrade to the honeymoon suite 3 of the 4 nights we were there (the 4th night we stayed in the house they have in the village! - staff moved our luggage for us while we were out exploring the island's beauty) I had no problems with the beds, so perhaps the feelings about the mattresses are just a preference?
As for the showers: Be prepared! People are commenting on the showers here, but I went to three different islands and every shower was similar. It has nothing to do with the quality of the hotel.

Dinner was good and the continental breakfast was on par with that of other hotels. (I am not a continental breakfast fan and so I cannot say anything past that). By the way, staff was watching from the kitchen, but I saw them watching to see if things needed to be restocked etc. so it never made me feel uncomfortable as it seems to have for other guests. Other members of the family were sitting having their a.m. coffees and they would always say good morning to us.

Location - I liked where the hotel was situated. Akrotiri (and specifically the Kalimera) is on a narrow part of the island so we could see water on both sides of the hotel. The beach is a not "far" walk, but remember that you're on a cliff so even though the path to the beach is across the street, you do still have to get down the cliff. (Highly recommended: ATV rental). The proximitiy to the boat that goes out to the red, white and black beaches is great as well. Buses stop running at 10pm so don't book a hotel in Akrotiri if you want to be a part of the nightlife in the bigger places such as Fira. Unless you want to pay for the cab fare that is.

Service - I truly loved the service we received. The young woman and man (I believe niece and nephew to the owner, but am not sure) were extremely hospitable (not that others weren't, they were just who we mostly dealt with). We paid for our transportation back to the port from the staff here as they couldn't find us an available cab (that's right, THEY were arranging for the cab, we didn't have to lift a finger). I don't know where the "preferential treatment" idea came from, but even if someone did get a ride without paying I'm sure there was a valid reason for it. Remember after all that this is still a business, they aren't just going to give away rides that cabs charge upwards of 20 euros for. Let me quote a Greek man we met along our travels: "This is Greece, nothing is free!"
Also, if we had any questions about the island or wanted help with anything the staff was always willing to lend a hand.

I hope this helps someone else who is considering a quiet place to relax at night.

Reviewed 6 August 2009

I stayed one week with two friends and it was great.very clean,beautiful,quiet,friendly people,cozy.For those who are interested in combining great vacations with good prices I recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2009

Kalimera hotel offered everything we wanted and more. We stayed for one week and had the most amazing time. The rooms are small and quaint. We were on the top floor with a balcony overlooking the Caldera. Through the bathroom window we could see the Aegean Sea. The swimming pool was perfect after a day of booting around on the ATVs we rented, or for a day to stay at "home" and lounge around. It was the cleanest pool we have ever seen. The garden with its flowers and cacti are so beautiful which adds to a very picture perfect place. The famous Red Beach is very close, as well as other beaches we discovered by going off the main road. The food is outstanding. You must try the Moussaka and of course the Greek salad. This family run hotel is on the southern part of the island, away from the busy nightlife of Fira and Ia, but if you want to go there at night, just rent a taxi.
We can't thank Flora and her family enough for making our stay in Santorini absolutely perfect. I wouldn't have wanted to stay anywhere else.

Reviewed 29 July 2009

I just came back from Santorini ,I stayed there for 5 days.The Kalimera hotel is beautiful and cute,the rooms were very clean.There was a great pool, and our room had a cute balcony from where you could directly go to the pool.We ate there several times and the food was very good-traditional greek cuisine.everybody was very friendly and helpful.Anyway I totally recommend it. it was wonderful

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akrotiri
0 mi away
#19 of 75 in Kamari
Maison Des Lys
Maison Des Lys
#8 of 12 in Akrotiri

Been to Kalimera Hotel? Share your experiences!