“Nice decor in courtyard”

Hotel Moderne & Pigeon Restaurant
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This is a highly rated, by local standards, restaurant in a good hotel in Limoux France. We had a terrible experience - the waiters actually yelled at us for suggesting the cheese was off. The only bad meal in 2 weeks of wonderful French meals.
Reviewed 7 August 2014

As a group of 6 we booked for lunch, for a standard ' plat du jour' for €16 p.p. Having read previous reviews, I probably had high expectations, but found it fairly average in terms of food choices and service. It was no better and no worse than the other restaurants scattered around the main square. I think the evening meal could be considerably better, albeit considerably more expensive. If you do choose to book for lunch, make sure to specify the courtyard.

1  Thank DublinDon
There are newer reviews for Hotel Moderne & Pigeon Restaurant

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We have just been with 6 friends and family for my husbands birthday lunch. The menus had been specially made for us and every effort was made to make us feel welcome. The food, presentation and service were second to none and we all thoroughly enjoyed the wine that had been recommended to us.
I don't think any of our party could fault anything at all. This restaurant comes well recommended!

2  Thank clw130
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We waited a good couple of weeks before writing this review because we wanted to be completely fair and step back to reflect on our experience. Our lunch here was probably the worst we had this trip to France. In trying to determine why, we've identified 3 factors:
1. We simply picked the wrong day to go. 2. Try to avoid Alsacien dishes when in the Aude. 3) If the chef's coming out to talk to everyone when he should be in the kitchen, be suspicious. If he talks to everyone else in the room and avoids you, be really suspicious.

We've read the other reviews and many of the menus sound a lot better than what was available to us that day. I made the mistake of sitting down before reading the menu which wasn't posted outside the restaurant (but the dinner menu was). My husband spotted it on the way in but it was too late as I was already ensconced in the courtyard and loving the setting.
Our appetizers of Lyonnais sausage in brioche and cheese (forgetting which) melted atop a few greens were lack lustre. The sausage was a thick slice surrounded by burnt brioche and really not appetizing.
Our main course options were rabbit or choucroute. Andouillette was available for an extra 2 euros or a faux filet for an additional 7. I opted for the choucroute against my better judgment but I wasn't about to have rabbit or andouillette (nothing against rabbit - I'd just had it elsewhere). I really didn't want to pay extra for the steak. My husband opted for the andouillette because he's enjoyed it - elsewhere - many times previously.
The chef came out to explain to the English couple behind us what choucroute is but said there's no translation. He explained how it's made. I intervened and said it's sauerkraut. Chef and I discussed this in French and he disagreed with me. I ordered the choucroute and when it came out it was sauerkraut with a variety of meats and sausage. I knew this. I've been to Alsace and had choucroute before. It's very meat heavy and was really the oddest dish to have in the Aude but I was trying to make the best of bad options.
As for bad options, my husband's andouillette was horrible. It was deep fried on the outside but raw on the inside. He couldn't eat it and this man can eat anything. It ended up in a napkin in my handbag.
After the sauerkraut discussion, the chef came out twice to talk to diners and pointedly ignored us. Maybe he saw me putting the andouillette into my handbag... Finally, my husband said "merci" and the chef said, "what for?" I lied through my teeth and said that we'd eaten well. He grunted and said that it is normal. Really?
I must admit that the desserts were quite lovely, and filled the big holes we still had in our bellies. The dinner menu looked like it was of very high calibre and we've read some good reviews on TripAdvisor. Sadly, we won't be back to try it.
If you do decide to dine here after reading our review, the service is very good and you can enjoy a glass of blanquette de limoux as an aperitif, although you can do that anywhere in this town.

2  Thank beanetbear
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The Moderne & Pigeon is round the corner from the main square of Limoux - a short detour and definitely worth it. Although it's possible to have just one course, the custom, as in most Limoux restaurants, is to have the "menu" - starter, main and dessert. We began our lunch in the courtyard, shaded from the summer sun, with a glass of "bulles", as the locals call fizz, in our case a pink Cremant de Limoux, served nicely chilled. We chose a crisp local Sauvignon Blanc at 15 Euros to accompany the meal. There was a choice for all the courses, and the options change daily, which is not the case with many of the restaurants in Limoux, so it was good to have some different options available. The first course was a French take on tacos and we followed that up with the vegetable lasagne, which was delicious, but one portion would have been enough for the two of us to share. Our dessert was light and fruity, so we managed to scoff all of that and still have room for coffee. The service was a little mixed - extremely attentive, but one of the people looking after us was new and had not quite got to grips with the menu. All in all though, a delightful spot for a spot of lunch in Limoux.

2  Thank maggiavelli
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Limoux is a small country town south of Carcassonne, which has clearly seen better times. By chance we visited on Friday market day, and found what must have once been the town's best hotel, round the corner from the market square. It was hot. Luckily we dropped in early and got a table. All were outside, under cover. The meal was a pleasant experience from start to finish. Diners were a mixture of French and foreign tourists, including a few French families with children. We chose the menu du jour (19E) and were able to order a 50 cl. picher of wine (6.80E). The set menu included a variety of entrees and plats, each showing an ambitious cuisine which we did not expect in Limoux. We tried two of each and all our courses (including a dessert) were excellent, not the standard tourist fare we are so used to eating. Towards the end of our meal, which had been served with charm and expedition, the chef appeared. Since I didn't fancy either of the dessert options on the menu, I asked him if I could substitute some cheese, to which he agreed. I was given a large slice of a remarkably tasty cheese - which rounded off my meal (and my experience) beautifully. The whole experience was calm, friendly and professional. If I were anywhere near Carcassone in the future, I would drive down to Limoux for this restaurant alone. Merci bien!

1  Thank Old_Michael