“An unexpected pleasure!”

55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“An unexpected pleasure!”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I always like visiting galleries and this one was a very unexpected pleasure with a nice selection of paintings by artists I've not come across before.

With a name like Musee Petiet, I thought it was referring to the size (as you can see my understanding of French not that hot), but it in fact refers to the artist Marie-Louise Petiet. The collection was very much to my taste, there are some examples of pointism by D'Espagnet, Le Sidanier, rene Prinet.

I very much enjoyed the large military paintings, especially Charles Fougueray's Trafalgar episode du valises au l'achille. There were also others depicting the Franco / Prussian war - I think!

But my favourite was the cheeky piece by Pierre-George's Jeanniot - La folle. A young girl has visited the artist at his studio together with an elderly chaperone, who sits in the background but has succumbed to tiredness and dropped off to sleep. The young girls is displayed in a state of undress and it's up to you how you interpret events!

There are no English guides and no photos allowed. The girls on the desk were helpful and I left my rucksacks with them.

A very pleasant visit costing €5 or €4.50 with a Limoux tourist card.

Visited July 2013