“Cycling Tour Perfection”
Review of Montfaucon

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Limoux
Montfaucon
Ranked #3 of 13 Limoux B&B and Inns
“Cycling Tour Perfection”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I have just finished a week long cycling tour with Montfaucon Tours. The hotel, setting, meals, and staff are impeccable, and the cycling team excellent. The rides were selected and coordinated for the variety of riders, and the support was superb. This is my second cycling tour here, and while the first visit was outstanding, Montfaucon has taken the tour to an entirely new level with dedicated personnel for each position of bicycle tech, riding coach, trip leader, and sag. The tour group of Simon, Tim, Penny, and Maeve together with the hotel staff of Dawn and Mo, form a complete team that anticipated every need and fulfilled our wishes with ease. Oh, and the restaurants and chefs that they selected for the tour could not have been better. Jean François prepared meals in house that rival the best restaurants and the wine selections were terrific.

If you are a cyclist, ranging from dedicated beginner to expert, stop thinking about this tour and just do it. You will not regret it. And don't underestimate how nice it is to come back to the same gracious hotel and staff each day, removing the need for packing and unpacking each morning and night. The riding from Limoux offers a huge range of terrain and vistas, from french countryside, idyllic towns, farms, vineyards, the peaks of the Pyrenees, down to the Mediterranean Sea, so staying in a single hotel is in no way a limiting factor.

As other reviews have stated, it just doesn't get any better than this, whether you are here for the cycling, art, or simply to enjoy France.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Highland Park, Illinois
Reviewed 16 July 2014

As a tour leader; I have had the opportunity to visit and stay in many properties throughout Europe. I have enjoyed my stay at many; but none so much as Montfaucon! Never have I felt so comfortable; pampered, and attended to as in this hotel. The staff; location, food, and furnishings of Montfaucon far exceeded my and my students' expectations. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
San Francisco
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Imagine being an honored guest in the mansion of the town's most important person. Everything about this small hotel is just perfect; the only problem being you never want to leave. Walk along the Aude to the small village (mercifully not overrun with tourists) for dinner on the town square, then return the same way, gazing up at the illuminated spire of the church. Magic.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the river are really special.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Newport, Oregon
Reviewed 20 September 2013

This is the second time I've stayed at Montfaucon and I have to say I can't imagine staying anywhere else. Everything from the time you get there until the time you leave is taken care of. The staff is nothing short of extraordinary. Penny, Maeve, Mo, Dawn, and Jean François (our chef) all made this again a visit not to be forgotten.

This past August I went for a 2.5 week vacation which included a two week watercolor workshop at Montfaucon. The first segment of the trip was spent in Paris, which, as wonderful as it was, doesn't compare to the two-week workshop that we had while staying at Montfaucon The chateau is stunning. At one time Limoux was a gated city and Montfaucon is the original gatekeepers home. It is over 800 years old, overlooking the Aude River. It has been lovingly restored - as soon as you open the door you know this will be a stay to remember.

The Limoux region is full of historical sites - everything from monasteries, castles, great cathedrals, and wineries to stone-walled villages that are unlike anything you will see anywhere else. It seems that every village (including Limoux) has a large weekly market. You are a mere 2 hour drive from a Knights Templar castle on the coast that is still a working military installation. You are a fast one euro train ride from Carcassonne, where you'll find an amazing castle - still in use, housing shops, restaurants, and a great cathedral.

I will absolutely go back, I can't wait!

Barb, Newport

Room Tip: The first time I was at Montfaucon I stayed on the river side and had a beautiful view of the Aude f...
1 Thank 13Barb
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My husband and I joined lifelong friends for a 2 week vacation and watercolor tour at Montfaucon this August. We are still talking about what a wonderful experience we had and how lucky we were to stay at Montfaucon!!! The chateau is breathtaking!! It is over 800 years old, overlooks the Aude River, has been lovingly and exquisitely resored and lavishly appointed. As soon as you open the door and view the magnificent staircase you know this will be a stay of a lifetime.

Watching Penny and Maeve, our energetic and knowledgeable guides for the entire two weeks, was like watching synchronized swimming. Every need and desire was anticipated and their command of the language, sites, local customs, and history of each village made the experience truly special. We really felt as if we came to know the real France in a way that is not possible in a big city such as Paris.
Limoux is a wonderful village with weekly markets, concerts, and restaurants on the square....all within a short walk over the Aude River. And the nearby villages are rich in history, castles, old stone walls, walled towns, and fields of sunflowers, lavender, and grape vines.
Dawn and Mo cheerfully greeted us each morning with a hearty breakfast and big smiles. They also made sure our wonderful rooms and luxuriant bath products were fresh and perfect each day.Jean Francois, master chef, created 5 star dinners the 3 nights we dined at "home" in the beautiful dining room just off the stone terrace...On the days when we were driven to other locales Penny and Maeve provided the transportation and rich historical descriptions of the places we visited. They even scouted out the perfect field of sunflowers for us to paint and made sure they knew the exact time of the day when the flowers would be facing our way so that our painting environment would be perfect. Again, attention to every detail !!
The last night we were at Montfaucon several guests wrote checks to reserve their spots for the return to Montfaucon in two years time. For some guests this will be their third visit. I would submit that this vote of confidence says it all!!!
Jo, Sacramento

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Imagine 18 days at a blissfully quiet, chic 800 yr old but fully modern and magnificent place --Montfaucon! As part of a watercolor painting group I immediately understood why my friend was coming back for a second time--my travel savings account is already getting replenished in case I am lucky enough to be able to come back again myself. The owners and Penny and Maeve, our trusted guides in all things French and Limoux, made this stay unforgettable in every possible way. The food was beyond extraordinary and we especially relished the nights when Jean-Francois arrived to create his luscious meals. Limoux is absolutely a terrific place to base a vacation--the perfect blend of village life that comes alive with festivals, concerts, markets virtually every week. It is impossible to be bored in Limoux. Daily excursions to abbeys, castles, sunflower fields, roman ruins, the gorges, Bugarach, the Mediterranean, and even a Uruguayean <sp?> BBQ at a gorgeous winery. This was a unique and unforgettable experience. GO! You'll never look back! ~~~ Sue N.

Room Tip: My room faced the street and, though the other side of the house overlooked the river, it can be noi...
El Dorado Hills, California
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Our June oil painting workshop was enhanced greatly by the accommodations & hospitality of the entire staff of Montfaucon. Penny planned our itinerary; & along with Maeve, expertly navigated our large plein air painting group by van to tour destinations in the South of France that were absolutely breathtaking and rich in history. We had a lovely continental breakfast served to us every morning, along with smiles & cheerful conversation, by Dawn and Mo; as well as dinners prepared by gourmet chef Jean-francois Munos at the chateau (when our guides were not treating us to a fabulous meal in Limoux or on one of our excursions to other locales). We were even treated to coffee and tea served to us while we painted in the cave/studio downstairs. Guidance was offered for any issue that cropped up - a trip to a doctor & pharmacy in Limoux was made much less daunting with the help of Maeve and her French interpretive skills. We were treated fabulously at Montfaucon, and I'm planning on making it a future destination.

Room Tip: I shared a room on the third floor that overlooked the river Aude, and loved both the view and the s...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Limoux
Grand Hotel Moderne et Pigeon
Chateau des Ducs de Joyeuse
L'hostellerie de l'Eveche
L'hostellerie de l'Eveche
#1 of 1 in Alet les Bains

Been to Montfaucon? Share your experiences!