“The best of Everything!”
Review of Montfaucon

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Limoux
Montfaucon
Ranked #4 of 13 Limoux B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 July 2007

Waiting to go back is the hard part! From our welcome at the airport, to the 5 star dinner waiting for us at Montfoucan prepared by master chef, Jean Luc, this trip proved to be just one masterpeice of a day after another. Amanda, Gabi and Natalie will steal your hearts with the beauty, humor and devotion they heap upon you during your stay. Artists, poets and lovers alike will never forget the time spent in and around the charming town of Limoux. I'm already signing folks up to come paint with us in 09! This is a must do place :)
Susan Cowan
[--]

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank BunnyOregon

Reviewed 8 July 2007

This was my first trip to France. I am an artist and have always wanted to go to Paris.
Circumstances led me to Monfaucon instead. What divine intervention! Instead of the usual crowds and tourist spots, I experienced an intimate stay in an ancient village. This difference made me able to absorb some of the culture rather than the artificial glits. I was not a simple spectator, I felt I was a participant in the French way of life.
The staff at Monfaucon made sure that we were never stressed out about anything. They were young beautiful women to be sure but they also exuded total conpetancy in dealing with the language, customs and French expectations that at all times. You felt like you blended into the landscape.
Besides the lavish furnishings, and food discoveries beyond your wildest dreams, I would say that you would be hard pressed to find another staff as totally out of this world as the group of tois femme at Maufaucon.

2  Thank shushuTacoma
Reviewed 6 July 2007

We recently spent a week at the Montfaucon, in Limoux, France. It was truly a dream vacation. Montfaucon is a centuries-old building, renovated to perfection from the grand spiral staircase, the large beautifully decorated guest rooms, to the inviting sitting and dining areas. Nightly, we sipped the local "Blanquette" on the outside deck overlooking the river and town.

The staff is great and ever helpful. Starting with the breakfast buffet, to accompanying us on trips out to historic sites, local markets, and natural wonders, and ending our days by taking us to 5-star (in our book!) restaurants in small towns or farmhouses - places you couldn't find on your own. They were also helpful in making any travel plans during our stay.

We highly recommend a stay at Montfaucon. Our only regret was that we couldn't stay forever!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CasaTorres
Reviewed 6 July 2007

I arrived at Montfaucon in May, in the company of an artist friend who had been invited to check it out as a perfect place for a future workshop for some of her artist friends. We had both been to France before and delighted in learning that it was in Limoux, the center of Cathar country. Having written two books involving the history of the Cathars, I’d covered virtually every castle in the area in order to absorb the people, their time and place. However, I’d not known of Montfaucon, only remembering Limoux as a lovely village to drive through on the way to Montsegur.

We parked our rental car along a tree-lined street paralleling the river L’Aude and as we started to wheel our minimal luggage we were greeted by a small group of elderly men and women sitting in the sunshine on a bench fronting our street. With great charm they chorused warm Bonjours! as we made our way down the narrow sidewalk up to the front door.

The streets ancient facades seemed a bit daunting - little changed since their construction in the thirteenth century. But at least the door to Montfaucon looked tasteful, its polished wood facade and elegant copper scrolled name revealing little hint of the comforts to be found within. Before we could raise the elegant knocker, the door opened to a casually dressed, smiling young woman whose look of joyful expectation was as welcoming as if we were long lost family.

Thanks to Amanda and her equally wonderful cohorts, Gabi and Nathalie, we quickly fell into a genuine camaraderie and a truly relaxed sense of being at home. Or at least of being in the Dream Home in France that we had nurtured in our fondest travel wishes but never thought to experience.

Amanda effortlessly scooped up our luggage and led the way up the spectacular staircase - a beautiful work of lovingly polished handcrafted wood which swirled elegantly up the three floors. Antiques, works of art and bouquets of flowers at each landing brought sighs.

But not as loud and long as the sighs that escaped at the sight of our rooms. Spacious beds with dreamy coverlets of French patterned chintz and sheets of pure linen monogrammed with the name “Montfaucon”. My focus as a writer quickly went to the mahogany desk and its sophisticated accoutrements assuring connection via phone or computer to first world electronics.

Ahhh ... but the bathroom nearly eclipsed even that! It was a far cry from any French bathroom I’d experienced before. Heated towel racks, forty pound terry robes and delicately perfumed soaps worthy of framing as art, assured even the most sophisticated of occupants, complete comfort.

We freshened up and headed down to the living room to greet our fellow artist/writer community. Small, as the hotel only services eight guests at a time, each one was quick to become family. Sitting around the fireplace and sipping Blanquette de Limoux, a golden elixir eclipsing champagne in delicacy, we began to entertain an amazed delight at the discovery that we had arrived at a very special place. If anyone reserved judgment, the elegant five stars - course after course - dinner served by Jon Luc Robin, a superb chef, sealed unanimity that we had entered a perfect setting.

So the residence was exquisite, and the food was impossible to describe without tasting, but many places in France could be described equally enthusiastically. What really made the trip to Montfaucon unforgettable was that which made a Concorde flight memorable - the people, the service, the warmth, the feeling that one’s comfort, pleasure and satisfaction were genuinely considered, not as a “must give great service” mandate, but as an “isn’t this perfectly wonderful and aren’t we delighted to be here to share it together?” commitment.

And share it we did. Amanda was open to the desires of each member of our week’s ‘family’, whatever their primary focus. Although this particular week was designed to display the facility in the hopes that each guest might arrange to bring future groups whose interests might be specific to art, writing, bicycling, Cathar castles, business meetings, etc., the staff remained flexible to each person. Some of the artists wanted at least a couple of hours a day to paint, others quickly decided that, given they’d never been to France, they wanted their focus to be on seeing the wonderful sights of the area.

Thanks to the effortless-seeming skills of Amanda, et al, we experienced a smorgasbord of all that is wonderful about the South of France - and completely without any daily concerns of where to go, what to do, when and where to eat, to shop - nor even the problem of whether we were comfortable speaking French.

Like children in an enchanted fairy tale, every day was special - trips to ancient villages, abbeys, mysterious gorges and castles, meals at a farmhouse high on a mountain, even a private tour of Rennes le Chateau by our fantastic chef, Jean Luc (who had lived the prior eight years in the strange priest Sauniere’s home and recently wrote an excellent book on his theories of what the real mystery could be).

If you want a trip to France that assures your experiencing the best of treatment from the warmest of people in an incredible home away from home that - with all the luxury of a mini-Ritz Carlton, and the charm of a wonderful, young, unpretentious and delightful staff - you should visit Montfaucon and experience the magic of this very special area of France.

As a resident of Maui, I learned an added dimension of what Aloha is all about in the big smiles of the villagers of Limoux and the warm welcome of Montfaucon’s unmatched trio. So wonderful was the experience that, even now, I wonder: “Was it only a dream? Might it someday go the way of the Concorde? If so, how grateful I am to have known it--and to reccomend others discover it.

© Nita Hughes
[--]

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank pastrecall
Reviewed 5 July 2007

From arrival to departure I felt like I had my own personal staff catering to all of my needs. My fortunate life has afforded me much travel and this was one of the finest of all.
The chateau is much like a lavish personal home, architecturally stunning and warm.
The food, often served on the deck overlooking the town of Limoux and the river Aude was prepared by a very fine chef and the wines were chosen by Bill White, the owner of the chateau.
The chateau has many venues available for its guests and this week happened to be the week of cycling and the Tour de France.
The region is stunning and the cycling was also tailored to each individual guest. There were two sag wagons waiting to pick you up or drop you off depending on how much and how hard you wanted to ride. The cycling guides were very informed.
Many days we were driven to beautiful farms to enjoy dinners where the food was raised and prepared for us. It was nice to enjoy the fine wines of the region and be driven home by the competent staff.
I would not have wished for more.

Stayed: July 2006
Reviewed 5 July 2007

We stayed at Montfaucon for two weeks in Oct. 2006 as part of a watercolour workshop and tour of the Languedoc region of France. Host
Bill White and his staff are just the greatest. Everybody was extremely knowledgeable, friendly and accommodating. The hotel was a wonderful place to stay as we explored the Languedoc: luxurious, friendly, historically interesting. The variety of places to see nearby is amazing and unlimited. The food was consistently and outrageously great! As part of our package the meal at the farmhouse in St. Couat du Razé was one of the highlights. An overnight side-trip to Colliure on the Mediterranean coast was another. We had such a good time, in fact, that we're planning a return trip to Montfaucon
in 2008.

• Stayed: October 2006
Reviewed 5 July 2007

From the moment you are greeted at the door you know there is
something special about Montfaucon. The staff and service are warm, freindly and go out of their way to be helpful. The rooms and beds couldn't be more comfortable. The home is decorated with beautiful antiques and restored to a hig level.

I have traveled throughout France and stayed in many types of
accomodations. I found my week at Montfaucon (as art of a private group on tour) to be an unforgettable experience. Everything they do is first class, 5 star.

I enjoyed it there so much, I will be returning with a group of artists
for a two week stay in 2008.

Julie,