“Very Nice Hotel---Some Minor Front Desk Issues”

InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Faa'a
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We spent a total of three nights here---two nights prior to our cruise thru French Polynesia, and one night afterwards. Prior to the cruise, we stayed in the hotel's Panormaice View Rooms. These rooms, as I understand it, are newer and larger that the hotel's standard rooms. The room was very spacious, well kept, nice bathroom facilties (just a shower, no bath for you tub soakers), air conditioning worked very well, no noise from other rooms. The rooms are located immediately across from the sand bottom pool, where we spent a lot of time---really one of the nicest pools I have ever seen: fresh water, small sand beach, sand covered bottom, swim up bar, and amazing views of Moorea. The hotel has another largepool, which is a bit busier, but still very nice immediately adjacent to the Tiare restaurant. On our post cruise stay, we paid for a panoramic view room , but were upgraded to an over the water bungalow. The room was nice, but I think it was smaller than the panoramic view room, and it was somewhat older. Honestly, I think the Panoramic view rooms are nicer, and represent a better value, but if you have your heart set on staying over the water, the bungalows will not disappoint. Foodwise--we had breakfast included in our pre cruise stay, and the buffet at the Tiare restaurant was quite good--very extensive, and certainly lots of food options---especially fruit. We ate lunch there, and dinner there as well. They have a buffet for both lunch and dinner, but we went ala carte. The food was good, though not memorable, however the portions were huge, and everything was served piping hot. Two people could easily split an entree. We also ate lunch and dinner at the Lotus restaurant, the hotel's higher end restaurant. Food here was upscale, with an emphasis on fish that was cooked perfectly. Lots of sauces, and fusion cuisine, e.g. breadfruit puree that was delicious, but soooo rich, I could only eat a bite or two---think butter and creme! Service was nice---very attentive, though we had to wait quite a long time to get our lunch bill. Also, I should also mention the hotel has some great "transit" rooms that you can use to shower and clean up if you want to stay at the property after check out time. I was expecting a locker room, but you get a very large bathroom, nicely decorated, private, where you can change out of your swim suit, take a shower, and otherwise clean up after you have checked out of your guest room. the My chief complaint with the hotel is that they appear to either be understaffed at the front desk, or the front desk is too small to accommodate the number of guests. Nearly every time I was there (either checking in or out) I had some pretty lengthy waits. It did not ruin the vist by any means--I would stay here again in a minute, but it did keep me from giving the property 5 stars.

Room Tip: Skip the over the water bungalow and get a Panoramic View Room
4  Thank HappyTraveler43
v_roniquey, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2012

Dear Guest,
Greetings from Intercontinental tahiti Resort !
Thank you for your comments posted on Trip advisor.
The matters raised in reference to the front office department have been dealt appropriately for correction with the departments concerned.
We sincerely hope that your future travelling plans will include Intercontinental Hotels group and more particularly InterContinental Tahiti Resort ; Please do let us know next time you want to visit us as we would be honoured to welcome you back and ensure you are fully satisfied.

Reviewed 27 April 2012

Usually people only stay in Papeete for a day or two while they wait to get to an outer island. This is a great place to layover. They have two very nice pools. The food is good in the main restaraunt. The staff is very nice and they have a good bar.

Room Tip: I prefer the first floor as you get a patio also. Usually looks out at the ocean or one of the pool...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,
Greetings from Intercontinental Tahiti, and thank you for your comments.
Our management and staff look forward to welocmein you back at our Tahiti resort.
Guest relation Manager

Reviewed 23 April 2012

So, read a bunch of reviews before staying here on the way to a Paul Gaugin Cruise and had some doubts based on what I had read. Pretty much all the complaints were totally not true!!! The service was tops! The staff was friendly and helpful! Room service was outstanding!!! The Bellmen were tops! I am struggling to find one problem with this resort!
We are Ambassador club members and were upgreaded to an overwater bungalow, what a great expereince. Hardly left the room. These rooms are big, the decks are great and the bathrooms very nice. Linens - usually My wife's issue - were excellent. The view of Moorea from our deck and in the water platform were so good we jsut kept ordering room service. With a 4% charge and quick delivery - I mean really quick - no reason to leave. The fries were hot and good and the beers were cold...could we ask for more! I had read reviews that you had to haul around your own bags with no help? Could not be further from the truth! Never touched a bag!
We used the dive resort facility - diving, Rhino ride in the mountains, jet skiis - and they were awesome as well. Hats off to both the Sabastians!!!
Although there is no beach here - most of the island does not have beaches - the pools were very nice. I would highly suggest splurging for the overwater Motu's or Bungalows if you are staying a couple days before moving on.
I would not spend an entire vacation here but a couple nights after a long flight is really the best on the island!!!
Hats off to the management of this really well run resort!

Room Tip: Spring for the overwater Bungalows!!!!
6  Thank SHCharlotteNC

Dear Guest:
Greetings from InterContinental Tahiti Resort!
Many thanks for posting your comments on trip Advisor after your recent stay at Intercontinental Tahiti Resort.
It is always a great source of pride for the hotels to know that a guest's experience was enhanced by the staff. This feedback will be shared with all the departments.
You can be assured that your comments are taken into consideration and our staff acknowledged.
Thank you again for your patronage, and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Intercontinental Tahiti in the future.
Sincerely Yours.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

A wonderful time! Highly recommend! The staff was excellent, the grounds superb and quiet and the food was very good. We were there 4 days. The infinity pools are so inviting and we tended toward the sandy bottom pool. the hubs had two great dives from the professional dive shop on the grounds. A big plus and surprise for us was the free washer and dryer use..we had just spent 10 days on a sailboat and we needed some cleaner clothes ... Sweet!
Recommend spending a bit more and get the Panoramic View room with king size bed. The room is larger than the lagoon room and the bungalow over the water (unless you get the suite) and the PV section is newer. The beds were very comfortable AND they have a nice selection of different pillow for you to choose from. Also recommend including the breakfast buffet in your reservation as there are not any cafe's close by.
No worries about being close to the airport and noise...this is Tahiti with very limited big plane flights and noise..I think 1 or 2 a day..but being close is nice when we arrived...
We were within walking distance, 5-10 min of a couple of food carts for more local faire and Papeete is a short cab ride for shopping, beer pub and more food carts. The hotel also has a shuttle for a fee but with a schedule.
All in all a great time for us and 6 friends....hope this helps

Room Tip: Panoramic view...king bed
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank LivinNow

Dear Guest:
We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that overall, you were satisfied with the service and facilities provided by our property.
We look forward of the pleasure to welcoming you back: Meanwhile, should you at any time need any further information to help you or your friends make reservations for your next Tahiti holiday at the InterContinental Tahiti Resort, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Guest relation manager

Reviewed 18 April 2012

I stayed at the Intercontinental for 2 nights which also included breakfasts. When you walk into the main lobby of the hotel, you have a picture postcard view of Moorea, the ocean, palm trees, and the swimming pool and lagoon! It 's a real photo moment! The room was supposed to be a garden view, but I ended up having a view of the ocean. The hotel's breakfast had omelettes to order, sushi and sashimi, and miso soup in addition to the croissants, fruits, and typical American breakfast foods. It was very filling. The hotel has 2 pools in which one has a swim up to the bar. Those drinks were quite pricey....about 15.00 USD for a coconut milkshake. The hotel also has a lagoon where you can go snorkeling. I took my own snorkel gear with me. It's manmade but they try and put all the fish that you can find in the ocean into the lagoon. They are also trying to grow coral(brain coral, elkhorn coral, lettuce leaf coral) in the lagoon. You can find angelfish, parrotfish, giant clams, sea cucumbers, etc. I took an around the island tour which made stops to the fern grotto, Maraa Grotto, Matavai Bay which has a black sand beach and lighthouse, Arahoho Blowhole, Faarumai Waterfalls (a walk through the chestnut trees), Botanical Gardens, Marae Mahaiatea. Make sure you take bottled water with you and some mosquito repellent.

Room Tip: I was on the 3rd floor which is the same level as the lobby, but I was far enough away, that there w...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank alkeni
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We stayed here one night pre-cruise and 2 nights post-cruise on the Paul Gauguin. On our pre-cruise night, I booked the cheapest room, a garden view room, since we were only there to sleep. We had to decided to go to Moorea the next day for an additional 2 nights pre-cruise. The IC upgraded us to a Panoramic room. It was nice and unexpected. The room was upgraded. The bathroom was very large; double sinks, large soaking tub, separate toilet, and a separate rain shower. The bed was large and comfortable. We were on the 1st floor and arrived late at night, but we decided to check our our patio for a few minutes. While we were on our patio, a bird flew in our room. It flew back out after a few minutes. While we slept that night, we heard a bird "peck" on the sliding glass door on a few different occasions. It was funny, but it woke us up each time. Post cruise--we splurged and booked an OWB. This room was very nice, but wasn't recently upgraded as the panoramic room. It had wood floors and bamboo wall coverings. The bathroom area needed to be upgraded. The sink was outdated, as was the tile countertops and tile floors, which had several chips and stained grout. The tub/shower combo and toilet were separated by a door. The tub/shower was oversized and very nice. Again, the tile on the walls/floor were outdated and reminded me of the 70's. The wooden door separating the sink and toilet/tub area was splintering at the bottom from moisture exposure. Despite these minor details, the room was very nice and we were very content. The plasma TV only receives 2 English channels; CNN and ESPN. All other channels are French. The CNN is not US CNN; it is CNN World and ironically, they broadcast limited news information. They mostly had brief documentaries on people and places all over the world. Pay per view movies are also available for $10,000 CFP. They are not first run movies, but most of them are available on DVD, but IC still charged $10,000 CFP for these "older" movies. There was no DVD player in the room and there are no 110 outlets at all, so there was no way to play any movies on your laptop. There is a 110 outlet in the bathroom sink area that is not grounded, so it would be ideal for a shaver, but that's it. The room had a couch and plenty of storage. There were 2 nice, while robes hanging in the closet along with a roomy safe. Outside, on the large balcony, there are 2 lounge chairs as well as 2 regular wooden chairs and a small table. There is a ladder so you can access to ocean, but the water here is very choppy and not good for snorkeling. Our rooms included breakfast, which was cheaper than paying for it separately. We ate dinner at the Roulottes one evening and loved it. There are 2 pools at the property; one very large infinity pool and a sandy beach freshwater pool with swim up bar. The sandy beach pool is small with limited chairs. There is also a salt water lagoon with lots of fish and you can snorkel there. I saw an IC employee feed the fish one day and there were hundreds of fish all around him. It was a sight to see! It is very humid there this time of year. I only got 2 mosquito bites while I was there, which surprised me. I tried to stay indoors at dusk, when they are most active. They have a very large fitness center with newer equipment; 2 treadmills and 3 ellipticals, free weights as well as machines. They have a water cooler there, along with fresh apples too. You will need your room key to access the fitness center. There was one negative thing that I witnessed: I saw a man dressed in a white shirt and white pants who appeared to be in hotel management yelling very loudly at a female employee, who was also dressed in a white shirt and white skirt. He was yelling at her in French and pointing his finger in her face. His scolding of her was quite shocking to me because there was another male employee walking with them that didn't do anything to stop it. I was about 200 feet away and his yelling was so loud that I could hear him very clearly. If I spoke French, I would know what he was saying. Body language says a lot and he definitely wasn't praising her. He obviously didn't think anyone was around, especially a guest of the hotel. Other than that, the employees were very nice and smiling. We did book a tour with Marama Tours in the hotel excursion desk. Nicole was a pleasant lady who had the cutest, most well behaved Poodle sitting in the chair near her. We did the 4x4 inner island tour. Our guide, Hotu, was very nice, but I would not do this tour again. He was a chain smoker, but was very knowledgeable about Tahiti. All we did was drive through the volcano crater and then some of the passengers swam in a river within the crater. We did see a few waterfalls and one marae and made a few photo stops, but overall, it was a pretty boring excursion. There were tons of mosquitoes in the crater and at the marae; I wore lots of mosquito repellant. We had a wonderful stay at the IC and would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank monymony68

Greetings from Intercontinental Tahiti Resort!
Thank you for your comments posted on Trip advisor.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

We had the opportunity to visit the islands April 2-9 of 2012. We stayed in a Bungalo at the InterContinental Resort in Tahiti main island. We rented a car for a week so we could travel around the island. (rental about 100.00 a day for automatic with air) It was beautiful! Just to answer a few questions that I had before the trip. I will start with the first.
Is it as pretty as the pictures?... yes it is gorgeous!
Is it expensive?... yes it is because everything is imported. Breakfast at resort was about $37.00 US dollars for buffet but it is an incredible buffet. You can eat ala carte. It is cheaper but expensive! The service was great and the people were very helpful. If you are on a tight budget then don't go because you will spend a lot of money eating, however you can eat at other places but you will still pay around 12.00 for a sandwich.
Do they speak English?... most speak a little but the ones at the desk are fluent in English. Most of the people vacationing spoke French which was a little awkard when trying to communticate at times! We flew to Bora Bora and snorkeled and it was amazing! You can snorkel at the resort in the lagoon and see a huge amount of fish... it is gorgeous. We took a tour at Bora Bora and the two men spoke quite a bit of English and the guy who made videos spoke English well.
Do you have to fly to the other islands?...yes and it cost about 500.00 a piece to fly to Bora Bora from the main island. It was worth it. Visit Bora Bora while you are there, it is amazing!
Do they serve American food?... Not much so stay home if everything has to be just like you like it. Most of the food is seafood of some kind. They serve lots of natural fruit which was incredible and refreshing! I read reviews that said they had gnats on the fruit, yes they all do because the setting is outside with no screens everywhere you eat therefore they will have some gnats. If you can't handle a gnat on your fruit then stay home! (Just giving the facts) We did order pizza which was delicious but the main food is polynesion and I loved it but you have to have an open mind and try things. You are NOT in the USA... remember that! The food is different
Do they have bugs?.... It is a tropical paradise but they have gnats around fruit somethimes and in the areas where there are trees they do have mosquitos. We didn't have any problems with either. It was no different than at home. (Southern Ohio)
Do the people have nice homes? Not by our standards, they live off the land literallty and most live in what we would call shaks. The majority of the homes had open windows with no screens or way to close them! The people are very conscience about their looks and Everyone we saw was dressed for the islands and beautiful. No begging for money or anything like that.
Would I go back?.... In a heartbeat and I will take my kids the next time I go so they can see Gods beautiful creation! The humbleness and resoucefullness of the people was inspiring to me and I can't wait to revisit the islands!
Was the plane ride long?... YES Air Tahiti served us two meals, had videos and treated us like royalty. The flight attendants were beautiful ( men and women) and friendly. We flew American Airlines to Los Angeles and they could take some lessons from Air Tahiti! Five hours no food, no videos, drink only and worn out!

5  Thank Angie R

Dear Guest, Greetings from Intercontinental tahiti !
Thank you for your feed back on Trip advisor and nice comments that will be shared with our staff.
We look forward to the pleasure of being of service to you in the not too distant future.
Should you at any time need any further information to help you or your friends make reservations for your next Tahiti holiday at the InterContinental Tahiti Resort, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Guest Relation Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Faa'a
Manava Suite Resort Tahiti
Le Meridien Tahiti
Le Meridien Tahiti
#2 of 3 in Punaauia
Tahiti Pearl Beach Resort

Been to InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!