“Great family holiday”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gerani
Family Life Creta Paradise by Atlantica
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Gerani
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We stayed at this hotel from 1st May the beginning of season and was not disappointed. We had 2 family rooms so I stayed with my 2 daughters and other daughter stayed with my husband. Only thing I would suggest is having interconnecting rooms. Food was excellent a nice variety of dishes everyday and the desserts were the best i've had. The staff were nice and friendly espically Tasso who looked after my daughter Megan as she smashed a plate. Plenty of pools to pick from we used the sister hotel pool most of the time. Entertainment was good and the team worked hard. Kids club was good fun for my 2 daughters aged 5 and 10. Beach was lovely and about 7.30 - 8.30pm you get to see most stunning sunsets from beach. Best place for soverniors is Agia Marina which is only a bus ride away. Hotel room was cleaned everyday and grounds were kept beautiful. Definitely a 4 star plus and will return again. Only thing I will say to others who are thinking of coming not alot of trips at beginning of season. Weather in May was hot highest was 28. Will come back another year with my family.

Room Tip: They had a swim up room available but we were happy mixing with other people.
1  Thank LaylanSarb
Write a ReviewReviews (1,002)

Reviewed 18 May 2012

This is my first time I have ever felt I have need to put a review on here and mainly it is due to this not being the luxury I had in mind. This is to be our last holiday abroad for a while due to personal circumstances so I thought I would put us somewhere of top quality, ended up a little dissapointed to say the least.

Hotel
A good welcome for the reception team. The room itself was nice and spacey with a huge bed and sofa bed. We are lucky enough to get a room across the road overlooking one of the many swim up pools, which was stocked with a bottle of water, tea and coffee each day along with fresh towels daily. Now come the niggles; on arrival our air conditioning, safe dep box and bathroom lights were not working - reported to reception which took over two hours for someone to come and look at them, for two consecutive days the maid left our balcony door wide open - again I had to report it to reception. The shower as much as it was a fancy all singing all dancing piece there were over four days where it ran boiling hot and I mean boiling, despite the time of day - our third trip to reception :(

The food overall was ok, the best was breakfast as the variety was excellent and despite what another reviewer has put, they do cater for the english (including HP sauce if that is what you want). Drinks are self service with soft drinks, tea/coffee, wine and lager. Fresh bread daily for all meals. The desserts were very very good and seemed to be made by a proper pastry chef. A good variety for any vegetarians with fresh cooked veg and salad galore. The soup is also freshly made none of the knorr packet stuff. Most of the food was very tasty and seasoned, but extremely repetitive. Now the down side, pork was the main meat dailyfor lunch and dinner - Pork gyros (poor quality), pizza, chips, spaghetti bolognese, spinach pie, ham pie, every lunch time! We did have lamb on one occasion which was delicious but it was just once. Just 4 of the 14 days had potatoes for eve dinner. The other meat was chicken legs we did get beef on a few occasions. Eve dinner was themed so if you stay for the fortnight it is the same for the second week, eg, one night is seafood/fish, unfortunately I'm not that keen, but there is a meat option, which for both nights was meatballs and pork belly.

Also for lunch the pool bars offer lighter options, however, these consisted of chicken nuggets, meatballs, spinch pie, pizza and mini bruschetta. All would of been fine but nothing to go with them unless you wanted pre-made greek salad or pasta salad. There was also ham/cheese or turkey/cheese sandwiches available cold or griddled all these items were again everyday!!!!!

Pool Area
The beds are very comfy and there were plenty available, however, in peak season I would say that becomes less. The pool itself was really cold, managed just two swims for the whole fortnight. Unfortunatley, there where a number of parasols that you couldn't put up as they had bit missing and were never repaired. The toilets were my main concern for the whole two weeks, I never once saw a cleaner although the bins were emptied. The floor was always wet through and very slippy. The toilet roll was always running out. Second day of the holiday, two of the three toilets didn't flush and there flushes were removed but not fixed. Again I had reported it but it took my second complaint (4 days later) before they were repaired.

Beach
Again parasols not working, no table. The beach bar was not open so had to keep walking to pool bar for drinks. Also very very pebbley so you will need sea shoes to get in and out of the water. In the height of season, the bed space will be limited as it shared with the hotel next door (also an atlantica).

Both Posedion and lobby bars were very good, the staff were really nice and pleasant. Always kept tidy and clean. Also kept open until 1am if you wanted although your AI ends at 12am.

Everyday for each meal we had to ask for cutlery, the tables were never relaid despite there being an ample amount of staff. Very slow to remove used plates/glasses once you had left the table, not a problem yet, but again in peak season this will restrict table availability.

Rep
I'm sorry to say wasn't that great. The welcome meeting was very quick, no information about the hotel (had to figure that out for ourselves), excusions were limited to four options. We decided on the Knossos trip, but a complete rip off by Thomson, 55 euros each plus 6 euros entrance fee and that was no lunch included, just a three hour coach trip as we had to collect approx 40 people from various locations enroute.

We were advised that Platanias was about 30 minutes away. Me and my husband made it in about 15 mins and we were strolling. We asked about Gerani, which she told us to turn right out of reception follow the road and its about the same distance as Platanias. We walked for nearly 50 mins along a local country road and Gerani was nowhere to be seen. We ended up in local village about 4km from hotel and had missed Gerani completely. Luckily we managed to flag a taxi and headed back to platanias (as we had missed hotel dinner by that point) at a cost of 10 euros. The taxi drove through Gerani which we than noticed that the rep had given us the wrong directions to start with, was not impressed at all!!!

I appreciate that we did arrive about 5 days after season starting, but surely you would want to make a good impression and ensure that everything works for when you first infulx of guests arrive. Some of you may think I am just moaning, but I really feel let down. Not the quality that I paid for, and I will be wary in future of the platinum collection offered by Thompson.

3  Thank NA S
Reviewed 17 May 2012

just got back from a week all inclusive... beautiful hotel, lovely food , excellent staff

two minor issues evening entertainment not brill but watchable, the second it is a 30 minute walk to any decent nightlife or 6 euro in a cab

lots of children but you only saw them at mealtimes they were well taken care of by the animation team

overall excellent value for money and would recommend this hotel to anyone

2  Thank saint2761
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Returned on Tuesday from a weeks stay and have to say we thoroughly enjoyed our time at Creta Paradise. We are a couple in our early 20's and felt there was the perfect combination between luxury and fun from start to finish. We were situated just across the street from the main hotel however we found this a blessing as it was more quiet on this side and the short walk across to the main pool was enjoyable.

The animation team were great and we participated in the activities most days, taking part in beach volleyball, football, water polo and table tennis alike. Although the nearest town, Platanias, was a 15-20 minute walk away there was no real complaints about this as it was lovely to have an evening walk into the town, followed by having food out before getting a taxi back to the hotel for a few more drinks. The beds in the room are very comfortable and we slept like logs each night.

The hotel appears to be set into 2 sections, with English generally occupying one half and Scandinavian and German in the other side. We met some really nice people in our stay, there was a lot of couples and families and no real party animals in the vicinity, making it ideal for a quiet holiday.

Staff are all very helpful and polite and are always on hand to make your holiday more enjoyable.

Our only gripe was the beach which is part sand part pebble, the pebbles coming as you get closer to the sea. For this reason I would suggest investing in some suitable footwear for these conditions, or you may end up with some very sore feet. They can be bought from the local shop for around 7 Euros.

The food was well varied with breakfast having a variety of fried, continental, fruit and cereal with much to choose from. Lunch there is both a pool snack bar and another buffet with a wide array of food on offer. In regards to evening dinner we usually ate out in Platanias, and found this added a bit of variety to staying around the hotel all day, however we spoke to others who ate at the evening buffet and they had few complaints.

All in all we had a fantastic week at Creta Paradise, and have some magical memories of our short stay. We would definitely recommend it to others and would love to stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms across the street are quieter, with their own pool, we definitely preferred our stay on this s...
6  Thank JimNLiz2012
Reviewed 10 May 2012

My 2 daughters and I have just arrived back from a week at this hotel. We have no complaints at all!! The food was really good and well presented, always something for even the fussiest of eaters. The room was a tad small for 3 adults but hey who goes away to spend time in their room!!! It was my daughters birthday the day we arrived and the hotel had left a birthday cake and an extra bottle of wine for our arrival ( 1 bottle of wine + a basket of fruit is left for all on arrival) w.hich was a nice touch. Tea & coffee is provided in the room which is not always available when you stay A/I at many hotels. As adults we took advantage of being able to walk the short distance into Platanias (about 20 mins) for a few drinks and a bit of shopping on an evening & got a taxi back (7Euros). We also ventured into Chania for a days shopping, very nice place to explore lots of lovely little boutiques etc hidden in the little winding streets. We would definitely go back. As an extra note my daughter left £120 in the safety deposit box, on our return home we contacted the hotel and they have found the wallet and the money is being returned as I am writing this. A refreshing change to find such honesty!!!! To all the staff we thank you for a wonderful stay and would love to come back!!!

8  Thank Gillian186364
Reviewed 9 May 2012

just returned from a week all inclusive at the Atlantica Caldera Creta Paradise and we are already planning our trip for next year along with about 10 people we made friends with.
the hotel is clean and well presented with friendly staff.
this is the first time i have been away and enjoyed every meal time with a great selection of food morning,noon and night.
rooms are nice clean with one of the best beds i have ever slept in while on holiday.
resort is 15-20 min walk to the nearest town with all the shops and cafes,or you could jump on the bus and pay 2 euros and go into chania.
rep was fantastic who always had a smile on her face and ready to help,even when she was creating gerani's first library :).
when we arrived we was told our room was across the road from the hotel and we thought this was strange but came to really enjoying ourselves as it had its own pool and bar.

5  Thank johnnoo7
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Just returned from a week's all-inclusive booked through Thomson. We found the hotel to be modern, clean, with friendly and helpful staff. We have a toddler who was entertained by the play areas (3), the " fun club" and the nightly kid's disco. The pool area is clean and well-presented. I can imagine though that in peak season there will be a shortage of sun loungers.

We thought that the holiday overall was great. Our room was not in the main hotel, being across the road. The room was nicely presented but a little on the small side for the 3 of us. The food was on the whole pretty decent. We found there to be a lot of choice although perhaps it would be a bit " samey" over a 2-week period. Good choice of drinks available too.

The hotel staff were great, in particular the restaurant staff who made a fuss of our little girl at every meal time, which was lovely.

So, here is why I've not rated it as excellent:

The hotel is grouped together with the Caldera Beach, next door. You'll find that there is entertainment provided by the " Fun Club" at the Creta Paradise and by TUI at the Caldera Beach. The TUI entertainment is better by far. But, your all-inclusive wristband is only applicable for the Creta Paradise, so we found ourselves stocking up on drinks and taking them with us. Slight gripe is that we were unable to sit where we wanted to at the Caldera Beach as certain tables were prioritised for their own guests. So on a few occasions we ended up going back to the Creta Paradise as there were no tables available which allowed us to keep an eye on our little one,as she sat by the stage.

The location of the hotel is also not great. Gerani is a bit of a nowhere place. We like to have a bit of a walk in the evening and this isn't really possible if you have a little one as you'd need to walk along the main road for some time, before you got to Platanias.

I'd recommend hiring a car through the company which is in the hotel reception (sorry, can't remember the name). We got a 7 seater for 3 days, for 210 euros. We explored almost all of the Northern side of Crete. It's beautiful. Simple as that. Go to Elafonisi beach, if you get chance. We also had a lovely day at Phalasarna. Both of these places involve some driving in the mountains, not for the faint-hearted! Beautiful drive though, with so much to see.

We will definitely return to Crete and would also stay in another Atlantica Hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms in the block that is across from the main hotel seem to be very quiet.
8  Thank MrsBManchester
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gerani
Louis Creta Princess Beach Hotel
#6 of 11 in Gerani
Lyttos Beach Hotel
Lyttos Beach Hotel
#9 of 172 in Hersonissos

Been to Family Life Creta Paradise by Atlantica? Share your experiences!