“Mostly Lovely!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gerani
Family Life Creta Paradise by Atlantica
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Gerani
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Me and my partner stayed in this hotel for a week from 15th - 22nd July 2014. We decided we wanted to have a little bit more privacy this year so we upgraded & booked a suite with a private pool. I felt a little bit apprehensive about this as I read other reviews of people who said they had booked this room & then arrived to be told they had been double booked & couldn't have the room.
We flew with Thomson & then travelled by coach to the hotel - it was about a 40 minute journey from Chania airport.
We arrived and there was a table laid out with water, fruit, orange juice & wine. When we got to check in a lady at the desk advised we couldn't have the room we booked as they didn't have any available - but to come back the next morning & we would be moved to the correct room. I was pretty upset as basically felt my fear had come true. At most hotels I have stayed in they have staff to help carry your luggage to your room. They didn't here - we were shown on a map where our room was & made our way there ourselves.
When we arrived I was actually pleasantly surprised as it seemed to be the room we booked!
It was lovely and clean and had lots of little touches that were useful. There was a light in the wardrobe, a free safe to keep our valuables in, a make up mirror in the bathroom, a hook at the end of the shower to keep my towel on, a decent hairdryer which saved me packing my own.

The air con however was really disappointing, it had to be on for a long time before you felt the room get cooler and half the time even though we switched it on I couldn't even tell if it was working. Also when you leave the room and take your room key - it stops the power to everything inside. So you can't put the air con on and leave it to do it's job and be cool when you come back. That was my plan but unfortunately if your room key isn't in its slot by the door then you can't leave anything on so you'll come back to a very hot room.
There was a decent TV with a few English channels. Most of them however seemed to be in Arabic and German which was odd as I would have expected them to be in Greek!
We had a lovely big balcony with 3 sun loungers, along with a table and 4 chairs to sit on - there was also a little bit of coverage which was nice for when you wanted some shade as it was very hot.
The only thing which I was a bit disappointed with was we were at the front of one of the main pools - and also directly opposite the restaurant. So while I was trying to sunbathe on the balcony - it was surrounded by glass so everyone could see us & we could see them. It was a bit off-putting trying to sunbathe and having people be able to see you while they eat there breakfast & lunch! The reason we went for a private pool was for more privacy - & that kind of defeated the object a bit. But we still had our own area which was lovely & worth the money definitely. I think if we were in a different room with a private pool that didn't overlook the main part of the resort I would have been much happier - we were in room 3511.
The food I thought was actually really lovely, I have stayed in a fair few all inclusive hotels before & I think this hotel won on food hands down. There were lots of options and nothing stayed empty for long - all trays were re-filled very quickly.
This was the main time however that I remembered we were at a family hotel - all other hotels I have stayed in before were couples resorts & this was not! The children in the restaurant were constantly dropping plates & glasses and generally breaking everything in sight. Also saw a fair few tantrums being thrown with kids & parents shouting at each other which kind of ruined the ambiance a bit!! But that can't be helped at a family resort.

The first night at our hotel we also had a bit of an awkward moment when we were in bed at 10pm Crete time as we had a very early start the day we arrived so wanted to get some rest. And a man came walking into our room with his own key - didn't knock as far as I could hear anyway. We weren't asleep but just laying with the telly on, and he just came in shouting something - my boyfriend thought he said "housekeeping". But I thought - a man - housekeeping - at 10pm? We didn't actually get to see him - we just kept telling him to wait as our bedroom door was shut and he said he would come back tomorrow. I was not happy about this as it was a bit worrying to think someone could come walking in at any time of night. We called reception and they basically said they didn't know who it was but not to worry about it.
I wasn't impressed with their answer and had a bad night sleep jumping up every time I heard a noise.

The next morning we went back like they asked us to at reception to move rooms. The lady said she didn't know what we were talking about so got her manager. They both said we were in the correct room & who told us to move?? I said I didn't know her name - I would know her face if I saw her but she wasn't there? They said it must have been a mistake & not to worry.
Then I bought up the man with them as I wanted an explanation. I understand maid's coming in during the day but not at night - and all the maids were women. Housekeeping is done from 10am - 4pm.
They advised us they thought it was "the pool man". He basically comes round every couple of days to check/clean the private pools.
I felt a bit better once I knew who he was - but they said he can come any time up to 9pm. The manager apologised and said he must have forgotten the time and didn't realise it was 10pm.
They were the only main hiccups that happened really while we were there.

They have the usual photographers that ask to take pictures of you as you walk into the restaurant. They get these printed and you can purchase them the next day.

Also do remember to lock your things away whenever you aren't in there as our room being opposite the restaurant we saw the pool man on our balcony when we weren't there as we were having dinner. And also a man will come by to fill up your tea/coffee trays in your room. All these people have key cards and will come straight in if you don't answer their knock in time.

There is only one little shop onsite in reception and this is a jewellery shop. It was quite nice and not too expensive to get yourself a souvenir.

Anything else you need is literally across the road - they have mini markets all the way up. They sell food & drink, sun creams & after sun, souvenirs like magnets and tea towels etc. They have all sorts really including fake converse and Toms and clothes and things for the beach like lilos and balls and ping pong rackets. All the usual stuff.

There was also a lovely souvenir shop right down the road that had gorgeous hand made stuff like painted pots and glass candle holders and sea shells etc. Just remember to take some bubble wrap with you to get them home safely!!!

All in all we did have a wonderful holiday and I would go back - but not as a couple. Maybe when we have a family I would - but I definitely think it's worth getting the private pool if you can afford it as the swimming pool sun loungers were very tightly packed together from what I could see. They also do aerobics classes in the pool with loud music & all the blokes and kids play volley ball in the pool so you would have to be out of the way for that which would have annoyed me if I wanted to go in & couldn't - & it's not so great if you're trying to relax with some peace & quiet!

There is a nice private beach on this resort too but it is so full of pebbles as you get to the shore from the water and it is so painful walking on. Obviously you can keep your flip flops on until you get there but the pebbles/stones are all under the water too and there is a huge drop in the sea when you get to the actual sea bed - if you slip and fall onto the pebbles it really hurts so I really would advise to have some jelly shoes that you can buckle on at the back and actually wear them in the sea and they won't fall off like flip flops would. Believe me you would be happy to have some shoes on because that part is not pleasant!!

The all inclusive drinks are all made with local spirits and they are extremely generous with them! The blue lagoon is pretty much just pure vodka. I would watch how much they put in and do ask them for less if you want - I saw a lot of people going back & asking for more mixers as they were so strong!

I also saw they have a professional photographer who does photo shoots on the beach at sunset which looked so lovely.

Overall I would say this is a lovely hotel and I was 95% happy with how my holiday turned out - minus a few things that I mentioned above. It was worth the money and I had a great time.
It was also very sweet at the end as when we left on the coach all the hotel staff come out and wave goodbye :)

Room Tip: If you can - get a private pool and ask not to be facing the main pool and restaurant!! You will be...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank VickyValente
Manager_ACCP, Manager at Family Life Creta Paradise by Atlantica, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Vicky,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this beautiful review.
We are very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your holidays. At Atlantica Caldera Creta Paradise we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations, therefore your feedback is very important to us.
Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address a/c issue of room 3511 and prevent any future occurrences.

Thank you once again for having given us the opportunity to extend our "Atlantica Hospitality", and look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you at Atlantica Caldera Creta Paradise in the near future.

Sincerely yours,
Atlantica Caldera Creta Paradise Hotel Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,005)

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed here for 11 nights in late June / early July as a family of four (children aged 6 & 3). In our opinion the hotel is excellent. Accommodation is contemporary, clean and adequately sized. The hotel is spread over a large area with own section of beach. You can use facilities at adjoining hotel (although you can't get all inclusive drinks here) and we made use of the pool, which to be honest felt a bit overcrowded with sunlounger space at a premium. We were in a room across the road away from the main hotel complex, which was nice and quiet with a large balcony. This area has it's own pool and bar, which seemed to be frequented from older couples seeking to avoid children. Those seemingly unaware that there would be children present on their holiday clearly didn't take the trouble to check out reviews in advance! And yes the hotel is popular with Scandinavians but I'm not sure why this should necessarily be a negative. Daytime activities are available but not shoved down your throat at every opportunity. I recommend the water polo - very competitive and good fun! It's a relaxed atmosphere around the pool...no thumping music or spontaneous outbreaks of dancing (quite the opposite to our Holiday Village experience last year!). Evening entertainment is outdoors in a separate amphitheatre away from the bar areas so it's there if you want it. Just take drinks with you! Food is good, plentiful, varied, always hot and rapidly replaced when dishes run out! Various themed nights, Asian, Greek etc. You will also get invited to cocktail evenings where the hotel manager is keen to listen to your views, We ventured into Platanias a couple of times in the (7 euros in a taxi) where there are loads of bars and restaurants. If you have children ask the rep about the bar with huge inflatables (6 euro per child for unlimited fully supervised play while you can enjoy a drink and watch). I'd wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to families wanting a good all inclusive hotel in a relaxed atmosphere.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Slacker_T
Manager_ACCP, Manager at Family Life Creta Paradise by Atlantica, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Good morning from Chania,

Thank you for letting us know how much you enjoyed your stay at Atlantica Caldera Creta Paradise. We take great pride in making everyone feel welcomed. Satisfaction of our guests is our primary concern and we are very glad when we achieve a positive result.
We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Crete.

Yours sincerely
Atlantica Caldera Creta Paradise Hotel Management.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is our second visit to Crete after a 22 year gap and ahving returned from a wonderful holiday it won't be that long before we return again. Although the hotel was a little further out from Chania than we initially thought it didn't upset our plans.
We were greated on arrival with cold drinks, some fruit and very helpful efficient staff, in no time we were booked in and shown to our room which was situated across the road in a villa style complex. The room and balcony had ample space for two adults & our two sons although storage was a little short. The maid service was exceptional and nothing was too much trouble.
The hotel itself was very clean, modern and its up keep was good considering the volume of people. The staff in all areas were polite and helpful with any issues we had.
We booked all inclusive for the ten days and overall the food was plentiful, good variety and freshly prepared. Breakfast & lunch times were a little less frenetic than dinner but at the end of the day you get this wherever you stay for all inclusive. The pool and evening bars delivered quick & polite service although there was a problem for some people with wasps around the self service dispensers.
With all hotels you can find fault and with the exception of a few hotels the reservation of beds is always the big talking point. This was an issue as you will always get people who take towels on holiday to get a tan, I felt sorry for the hotel staff generally as whatever they tried to do they were on a hiding to nothing. Yes, the hotel could utilise the grass areas more but one morning sadly i counted over a dozen beds near us that were empty for at least 2 hours.
Again we read the reviews about the number of kids at the hotel and quite honestly if my sons had been younger they would of thoroughly enjoyed all the facilities and shows. in high season it is not an hotel for couples wanting a quiet holiday unless you have your own swim up pool and quiet area but if you want a family holiday it is a very good hotel.
During our stay we used the on site car rental and hired a car for three days, we had a good deal from a very helpfull rep and if you do higher a car then Elafonissi is must. If you do go into Chania for a meal, explore the labyrinth of restaurants in the backstreets for very good food which is a lot cheaper than the front.
Overall we had an excellent hoilday but maybe only recommend it in high seson for familys.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank CJbryn

Good morning from Chania,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this beautiful review. Nothing makes us happier than the great holiday experience of our clients.
At Atlantica Caldera Creta Paradise we continuously strive to to meet your needs and expectations, therefore your feedback is very important to us.
Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the issue with sunbeds and prevent any future occurrences.

We wish to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in Atlantica Caldera Creta Paradise in the near future.

With sunny regards from Crete,

Reviewed 21 July 2014

this was our second time at this hotel and was even better than the first time food excelant rooms lovely and the staff are friendly and helpful cant wait to go back downside lots of kids but plenty of room for all.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Terry N Beryl S
Manager_ACCP, Manager at Family Life Creta Paradise by Atlantica, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Terry & Beryl,

Thank you very much for choosing Atlantica Creta Paradise and for sharing your experiences with other travelers.
Nothing makes us happier than the great holiday experience of our clients, and we wish to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in Atlantica Caldera Creta Paradise in the near future.

With sunny regards from Chania,

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I highly recommend the resort. I was there at the beginning of July with my daughter and we had a wonderful time. The resort staff is absolutely great, helpful and make you feel at home. Every day the management sent to our room little surprises (I believe that everybody got them) which were very appreciated : )

The standard of the food was superb, as well as the cleanliness in all areas. The only extremely slight disappointment more for my teenage daughter than for myself, was the really bad wi-fi connection. Apart from that I would go back in a heartbeat!!!

Room Tip: I would say that is not really necessary to pay a premium for a private pool room unless you go duri...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ombretta O

Good morning from Chania,

Thank you for taking the time and comment on your recent stay with us. We are delighted that we managed to impress you with our standard of services as our main concern and target as a company is our guests satisfaction.
At Atlantica Caldera Creta Paradise, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations, therefore your feedback is very important to us.
Please rest assured that we have already taken the appropriate measures to address small issues appeared with the wi-fi connectivity during your stay.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

My wife and myself chose the hotel to celebrate her birthday. We were also told the hotel was in a nice quiet area.

The flight with Thomson was excellent and the choice of Extra Leg Room seats was the right move as it would have been a squash without them. On arrival at Chania (pronounced Hania) we were quickly through immigration and the rep had a taxi waiting for us. The good thing was that we got to the hotel long before the usual coach. The hotel reception staff were really friendly and we were taken to our room with little fuss. We had booked a room with private pool and we were not disappointed. The pool was truly separate from any other room, all ours.

It was really hot when we arrived and as a forethought the air conditioning had been turned on so no great dramas, nice and cool. As we had arrived just after lunch had been served we were told about the 'snack bar' so we partook of a couple of toasties, just enough before the evening meal.

Overall all the meals were of a high quality with a lot of variety despite the regularity of the theme nights.

Now the down points for a couple of latter years looking for peace and quiet. I agree with Bluebell 520 about the clientele but disagree about the food being samey. When booking we noticed that the hotel had a 'Kids Club' but did not expect the vast number of children there. All ages from babies to 16+ years. This did make for a few bitter experiences around the bar and buffet area as some parents let their very young children get their own food and drink. This was a recipe for disaster. One lunch time we were looking to have something from the salad bar but found it had been completely taken off as a child had dropped their drinks glass into the bar. Glass all over the floor and in the salad food. This was not the only occasion when having children wandering around was a danger. Sorry but the parents did not seem to bother too much either. Another gripe we had was that there was a dress code but this was not enforced and diminished the experience especially at the evening meal.

The Poseidon Bar was great at any time during the day, staff very helpful and efficient. Sometimes the choice of music was quite irritating.

Overall a very enjoyable holiday but because of the dining experience we cannot award the full 5 stars.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a private pool
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank robinson281

Good morning from Chania,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Atlantica Caldera Creta Paradise. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. The hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectations .
Please rest assured that we have already taken the appropriate measures to address the issue of the dress code at our main restaurant, as well as the matter raised with the children around the buffet.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Date of stay - 17th June - 1st July 2014 We travelled as a couple.
This is a lovely hotel, situated in a quiet area. There are just two or three supermarkets, a couple of small gift shops and a taverna or two nearby, but the little town of Platanias (to the left outside the hotel) is about a mile away and a ten minute walk to the right is the small rambling village of Gerani. Buses to Chania are frequent and inexpensive (2euro each way - tickets from the supermarket or pay on the bus when the ticket inspector boards). The bus stop is close by, outside the Town Hall on the main road.
The hotel, the grounds and rooms are kept spotlessly clean by friendly staff who work very hard indeed. Their efforts are very much appreciated. And many parts of the hotel are laid out very attractively, rather like wandering through the streets of a little village.
Our large balcony (room 3212) faced the children’s club and a small play area and at first I thought “Oh no! not going to get much peace and quiet here” But- quite the contrary. There was no disturbance at all, in fact on the few occasions that we saw children at the club they were a source of entertainment. On a couple of late afternoons we had the entertainment team rehearsing in the amphitheatre next to us for a short while, but it didn’t last too long.

As with most Atlantica Hotels, rooms are spacious with facilities such as tea/coffee making tray, hairdryer (in bathroom), small fridge, electronic safe, ironing board (iron from reception on request) and of course air conditioning. Towelling dressing gowns are provided, as are pool towels - reception will give you tickets which you take to the Spa. When you leave you get the ticket back and present to reception again, so that you are not charged for the towels.

The main restaurant is large and buffet style. Each evening there is a different theme of food on offer (Italian, Asian etc.) as well as various traditional Greek dishes and all of it is prepared and presented to a very high standard. It is constantly being checked for quality and availability. We had no problem at all combining the various dishes on offer to make the most delicious meals, and now have the waistlines to prove it!! Gregorio, the Executive Chef, and his team are to be congratulated on what they produce. There is no waiter service for drinks at the table - but there are two areas to get drinks from within the restaurant. Iannis, Sifis, Tonia and their staff are always on hand to offer any assistance you might need. They are some of the most cheerful, friendly and efficient staff we have had the pleasure of meeting.

There is also the “Green and Grill” restaurant. A la carte and waiter service. This is charged extra - but well worth it as the food is really very good. You can choose either the house wine or pay a little extra and choose from the wine list.

Also the “Taverna By The Sea”, which has a set price/set menu which is very good. A large selection of traditional Cretan dishes are served by friendly waiters who go out of their way to make your visit special (bit of a theme going on here eh?)

There is a bar near to reception, which was a nice place to spend an hour or so after dinner, relaxing and sometimes chatting to other guests. The range of drinks was good - especially the cocktails - and the staff here, headed up by Spiros, are great. They seemed quick to learn what each guest usually liked.

The main pool is lively and vibrant, if a little noisy for our taste, but ideal for young families. There seemed to be organised activities going on a few times during the day. Next to this is the Poseidon Bar, serving all types of drinks. And there is also the snack bar area where you can get Giros wraps, salads, pasta dishes, ice creams etc.
There is another pool attached to the annex across the road, smaller and a bit less bustling and it has a lovely bar and snack area, usually run by Babis, who keeps the whole thing very well organised.
There are also plenty of sun-beds and parasols on the beach, but you will have to walk through to the Poseidon bar to get any refreshments. We found the boardwalks very handy during the hot weather.

There were issues with regard to sun-beds but IMHO much of this is caused by the guests themselves - we spent one day next to sun-beds with towels on ALL day. But the people were only actually there for 20 mins in the morning and 10 mins in the afternoon!! Grossly inconsiderate of others. C’mon guys - play the game!!! The management are fully aware of the problem and are trying very hard to address the issue.

There is a games room with various machines (to pay for) which seemed to be popular with the younger guests.

Last but not least - the reception staff - Ladies you were outstanding. So many helpful hints, local information, ready smiles and, we noticed, sometimes the patience of a saint!
Would we go back to this hotel - of course we would!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank yiayia2jake
Manager_ACCP, Manager at Family Life Creta Paradise by Atlantica, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Good morning from Chania,

Thank you very much for this wonderful review on your holiday experience at Atlantica Caldera Creta Paradise. It is always rewarding to read that our guests have enjoyed staying among us.
Your kind words for the whole team is a big motivation to continue giving just the best to fulfill high expectations & standards of services.

It was a pleasure to welcome you & we hope to see you again next summer!

With sunny regards from Crete.
Atlantica Caldera Creta Paradise Hotel Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gerani
Caretta Beach
Stella Palace Resort & Spa
Star Beach Village & Water Park
Star Beach Village & Water Park
#24 of 184 in Hersonissos

Been to Family Life Creta Paradise by Atlantica? Share your experiences!