“Yoga by the sea”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Aliki Yoga School

Aliki Yoga School
Ranked #4 of 7 things to do in Aliki
More attraction details
Owner description: Teacher and owner Oona Giesen is recognised by the IYF (International Yoga Federation) and the Dutch society of yoga teachers VYN (Vereninging Yogadocenten Nederland). She started with Iyengar Yoga 40 years ago, around 1973, when she was eight years old. Oona grew up with yoga, and started teaching Iyengar based Hatha Yoga 20 years ago, in her mothers yoga school in Amsterdam/The Netherlands, and in her own yoga school on the island Paros in Greece. Although she has a slightly softer approach, you can feel the influences of B.K.S. Iyengar in her classes.Her classes are down to earth, no chanting, but a lot of physical exercises (asanas) and breathing (pranayama) and meditiation. She became expert by experience in managing backpain with yoga since she broke her spine in a car accident in 1998 and since then recovered herself extremely well with her yoga.The yoga courses will be held on Paros, one of the most beautiful islands of the Cyclades. The Cyclades are a group of islands in the Aegean Sea, between Athens and Crete, known for its natural beauty and spectacular architecture. Paros is also the most central located island of the Cyclades and ferry boats go daily to different islands.Piso Aliki is a quiet bay, just behind Aliki, a small fishing village at the still quiet south-coast of Paros. There are several lovely beaches close by, a few taverna’s / restaurants at the seaside and beautiful sunsets to enjoy in the afternoon. No nightlife, no discotheques, just calmness and tranquillity…..except for an occasional village party which are realy nice.Piso Aliki and yoga, the perfect combination to really unwind from your daily stress, relax and enjoy life.
Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Yoga by the sea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

I attended Oona's 7 day yoga retreat on Paros Island in August this year and it was one of the best things i've ever done! The classes are small and Oona is a wonderfully honest and inspiring teacher who has great attention to detail and is extremely encouraging towards each pupil, whatever level of yoga they're at. The classes are broken up nicely throughout the week with lots of free time to explore Paros. I've walked away from my week with Oona with a wonderfully new perspective on yoga and much more of an understanding of the importance of Iyengar style as well as a new surge of inspiration to continue my practice. Thank you Oona for sharing your story and your passion because your influence is so inspiring! Anyone who is thinking of combining yoga with a Greek Island holiday should definitely attend one of Oona's retreats!

• Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Excellent yoga in great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

This is the best place to do serious yoga and have a sea holiday at the same time. I learnt so much from Oona's course. I've been going to Hatha classes practising more flowy styles recently, which I love and Oona has inspired me to come back to Iyengar yoga a little. She convinced us without pressure that it's best to know the poses well before trying complex flowy sequences. It has added a lot to my practice.

As a teacher, she has found the right balance, teaching alignment and precision without being military. She's also a very nice person.

She's the safest teacher I have ever met, even including Iyengar classes I have attended in the past. Perfect if you have injuries or are a bit burnt out as there are a lot of restorative poses.

We had a lovely group and I made good friends I'm going to keep in touch with.
I fully recommend this course.
A.M. from London

Boston
“Amazing and Inspiring Yoga”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

Really exceptional instructor with in-depth understanding of yoga and the human body and mind. Oona was able to provide individual attention and instructions to each participant while ensuring both the safety of everyone and also challenge us to reach poses I have not experienced before.
I have been practicing yoga for 6 years and found the intricate alignment instructions very helpful. The session is great whether have been practicing yoga for a while or a beginner student - you will find it beneficial, interesting, inspiring and challenging.
I am totally craving the next time I can attend a class and learn from Oona.

Milan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Inspiring experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

I spent a heart-warming week with an inspiring teacher and a helpful, generous group. In just 6 days with Oona I've learnt poses that I imagined not to be able to do in a lifetime and that a 6-month practice had never allowed me to try. Fun and energetic experience, during the week I've being always aiming for the next class or challenge. Oona is able to get the best from you with apparently no efforts, she gives you the details of all asanas and constantly helps you to have the best control over them. The class' atmosphere helps an easy improvement too. I'll bring a lot of insights with me and I hope to keep all those precious teachings in mind in the future...

1 Thank LittleHyena
“Excellent Yoga”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

The course was great. Oona is a sensitive and alert teacher with genuine feeling for teaching yoga. The sessions were focused and felt inclusive for students of various levels, ages and physical types. I learned a lot about coming into poses more slowly and with far greater awareness than I have in the past. Paros is beautiful and the village where the course is (Aliki) is relatively quiet and has some excellent beaches with nice swimming. I'd come again.

Visited July 2014
AlikiYogaSchool, Owner at Aliki Yoga School, responded to this review, 9 October 2015
Dear Els,
Thank you for your sweet words.
Amsterdam weekends will be
january 2-3
january 9 - 10
Hope to see you there;-)
Love,