“Fantastic family holiday!!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Pelekas
Banbury, United Kingdom
“Fantastic family holiday!!”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We had a one week stay at the Aquis Pelekas Beach Hotel and would say it was one of the most enjoyable holidays we have had. The room was spacious and cleaned everyday. The food in the restaurant was varied and fresh and was checked regularly by staff. Pool area very clean and tidy. I don't think I could fault the hotel at all.

The highlight of the holiday has to be the Animation Team. Not only was there plenty of activities for children and adults throughout the day, but the evening shows were fantastic, so entertaining. The team of five were amazing throughout the day and evening, I really don't know how they kept going. Well worth a visit, I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for sea view.
3 Thank MrsAnderson190758

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Bentley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed at the hotel between 16-23 of July.This was our first time to this hotel and hopefully we would like to go back again.The views are breathtaking,the food is excellent,the beach is clean and the pool is clean,plenty of seating for everyone either at the beach or at the pool, the hotel itself is very clean and has well looked after gardens,customer service is excellent,the waiters at Aquis Pelekas Beach Hotel came with an all inclusive smile every time they served you.Entertainment was top quality the animation team could perform anything and keep you entertained and make you laugh not only during the shows and activities they allways greeted people with a smile and chat,very friendly indeed,so great thanks to Domenica and Karolin and mike from Poland (I am laughing now even though I am miles away) and Manuel and Tomy from Italy (we miss you guys).We definitely recommend this hotel.

From Nevila and Adrian England

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank nevila2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This was a last minute.com holiday booking as we had originally wanted Tunisia, but missed out on flights. We have never done Greece so were happy with the location. The Hotel is nicely laid out, although on quite a steep hill, but they do have a lift to use ( I used the opportunity to lose a couple of pounds and swore never to use the lift!), which does sometimes break down, but ONLY because some people don't seem to understand the sign that quite clearly states it holds a maximum of 4 people!

We arrived quite late and were greeted by Kostas the night manager, who is a very friendly, helpful smiley chap who took us through what we needed to do as quickly and efficiently as possible. Once the paperwork was done, we were taken to our rooms. There was a plate of fruit, and some cakes and sandwiches in the fridge for us and some bottled water, which was a nice touch.

Our room was 4201 and had great views, I would ask for sea views, as there are some rooms with no views at all and that would be a shame. The room is fairly basic, but has everything you need. My one gripe is that the cleaner wasn't the most fastidious, and things like sandy floors ( which is completely inevitable here) were never swept. As an aside, please be aware that toilet paper has to be put into a bin, rather than being flushed ( the pipes cant take it, and we did have some days where tourists were obviously not heeding the advice and the sewers got backed up and STANK!, so please pop your paper in the bin and save yourselves the smell)

The beach is literally right at the bottom of some stairs and its lovely, the sea is so clear that you can see the fish and there are plenty of beds. Please note that the free beds and umbrellas for the hotel are the blue and white SMALLER striped ones directly in front, and not the wider blue and white striped ones, which belong to the charismatic George (i'll come onto him later), who quite happily charges you for the privilege. We got stung on our first day as did many people, and thats a massive failing on the rep's part for not telling us these things, our rep from Thomas Cook was lacking to say the least (more on her later)

The beach has 2 showers to get rid of the salt and there are plenty of places to get food and drink if you cant be bothered to climb the steps up to the bar for your free drinks/snacks/ice cream. I do agree with other reviewers about how the hotel should open the bar on the beach, its a wasted resource and would have made things just that little bit nicer, but its not the end of the world.

The aforementioned George owns a cafe just along the beach and has a very novel and amusing way of selling his wares along the beach. I have added pictures but if you don't want to spoil the surprise don't look. His iced coffees are nice, but expensive, and his doughnuts are a thing of wonder ( one is enough for the whole holiday). He's a funny guy but can be a little ruthless when he tries to charge people for lying on the sand in between his beds, I'm fairly sure he doesn't own the sand, but I am no lawyer.

There are the usual beach sellers, and on this one there are 2 main ones, the large group of people offering massages and a guy who makes bracelets. My advice would be, have a massage, they are AMAZING, however say no until you want one, DO NOT say 'maybe later' as we did, as they haunt you until you have one. Monica was lovely and very very good. Its cheaper than the hotel and what isn't more perfect than a superbly professional, relaxing (although some of it can be a bit painful, like the toes clicking) massage done on a beach listening to the waves? A full body massage for 60 minutes was 40 Euros, and worth every cent. We also got bracelets done, from Mr 'Hakuna Matata', who doesn't pressure you and is very friendly. There are places down the beach to hire boats and jet skis, but we didn't try them.

Another thing to mention is the wild dogs, there are about 4 of the cutest dogs who run around the place, totally harmless and they don't pester you, its just their home, and sometimes you'll come back from being in the sea and find one of them has dug a hole under your bed for some shade. The Hotel has a specific feeding area at the top of the stairs from the beach so they do get fed, which is nice to know.

The only real let down has to be the food. We went all inclusive and have decided that we wont do that anymore. The restaurant is the usual buffet style layout, and whilst the food is of a good quality, my gripe is that they are just catering to the masses (totally understandable, but disappointing nonetheless) and there was hardly any authentic dishes to choose from. They have more salads than you can shake a salad fork at, but after a couple of days it becomes too repetitive. The breakfasts were disappointing, although my husband had a bit of a 'bromance' with the omelette chef who made lovely omelettes. Lunch was generally good, but dinner was more often than not a real disappointment. There are lots of drinks to choose from, wine, beer soft drink and fizzy drinks too, so thats not an issue.

We ate out at a couple of places, one that was highly recommended on this site, 'Jimmy's' in Pelekas village, which was ok, but nothing special, another restaurant opposite jimmy's ( cant remember the name) and finally Zorbas on the beach. I have to spend a few moments on this as the food from Zorbas was outstanding. Its situated opposite the Greek flag that flies on the beach from the rocks and he has seating inside and on the beach. Andreas the owner/fisherman/chef is very friendly, and perhaps a little nuts, but his skills with cooking fish are undeniable. We ate there twice, once on our anniversary, and his food was superb. You can even choose from his tank which fish/lobster he caught that day you would like to eat. We dined on the beach watching the perfect sunset eating home made tzatziki and the freshest, tastiest fish we had ever eaten. Absolutely divine and 100% recommended, please give this place a go.

Pelekas village is small and you will need to get the Hotel bus and taxi there, (although my mad husband ran up to the top every morning), but its worth a trip and if you can be bothered dragging yourself out of bed early, go to the Kaisers Throne for the sunrise ( be there for around 7 am), its worth seeing.

Watch out for the madness that is the local drivers!

Our tour rep Emma from Thomas Cook was a friendly lady. Thats about all I can say. She didn't endear herself to us by being 15 minutes late for our welcome brief ( and no apology was forthcoming) and to be frank the information she rattled off was either completely irrelevant or confusing and we found ourselves thoroughly irritated by the condescending manner with which she spoke to us, She needs to realise that we aren't all here just to get drunk. We were also extremely annoyed that although we had agreed to join an excursion to a local fiesta ( we enjoy learning about the culture and thought this would be nice way of doing it) she failed to let us know the details even though she promised she would get us the information, so we missed the whole thing. Its not exactly the most difficult thing to do surely? I'm not really going to say anymore about her, just that she has continued our perception of the typical holiday rep.

Now, having never been to any of the Greek islands I had the stereotypical image of white washed buildings in my head and we hired a car (more on that later) to check out the island. I can quite categorically say they do NOT exist on Corfu, except some of the churches. We drove the whole island and saw none. The costal views are spectacular and we ended up at the highest monastery, the drive was an emotional one, its very very very steep and the roads are very narrow. Once you get up there, the church is lovely, inside is wonderful and you can see over to Albania and mainland Greece. Have a ice coffee and some Tzatziki in the cafe, and take in the views (as long as you're not scared heights!) it was quite funny as there was a couple of locals playing backgammon and we joked that they had to be careful not to lose their dice...... and they did just that, the dice shot over the edge and neither of the young guys was in a rush to go down to collect it!

We hired a car through Sunspots and NOT through Thomas Cook which would have been 30 Euros more expensive. Its so annoying that our rep cant even negotiate a good deal, as I'm sure that would have been far too much like hard work! We looked in some of the other tour guide books and saw a much better deal with sunspots, so called their office and booked it through them, as surprise, surprise, the TC office couldn't possibly do that for us.

Corfu airport on coming back was an experience. Make sure you are tight on your weight allowance as the friendly, smiley ( that's sarcasm by the way) check in staff are not lenient in any way, and each kilo over incurs and 18 Euro excess baggage charge ( as an aside we were 4 kilos over and before deciding whether to pay or swap into our hand luggage, I asked our rep how much the excess would be, of course she didn't know!!!!)

All of the staff at Corfu airport are truly hideous, there is no other way of saying it. We smiled, bit our tongues and seethed quietly, nothing else you can do.

I know this has been a long one, but if you're going to write a review, might as well make it an in-depth one.

Sadly for you I have more, and please don't stop now as this was by far the very best bit of the holiday, and to be honest a complete surprise.

The Pronto Pelekas animation team who run all the entertainment, consisting of Tommy, Dominika, Manuel, Mike and Caroline were absolutely amazing. Now I say this as a family who dont usually like the entertainment set up in most hotels, we don't really go for that sort of thing, but these guys are just outstanding. We took part in most of the daily entertainment laid on, especially the stretching in the morning, done on the beach with Dominika "Breathe in, Breathe out" and also the aqua Gym, also with Dominika. My son took part in the ping pong tournaments and darts with both Manuel ( his best buddy) and Mike, and really enjoyed them all.
Apart from being the friendliest, nicest bunch of people you could possibly come across, they put on some stellar shows that can only be described as fantastic. Each show was clever, well thought out and above all utterly hilarious. These guys are a very talented bunch and had some amazing skills,Dominika and Manuel do some fire stuff which was genius and Tommy is mesmerising on stage. If you get asked to join in, please do, don't feel embarrassed, its so much fun. My son felt like they were his friends and he was very sad to leave, they have that skill of making everyone feel included and it will take a while to get some of the phrases out of our heads "sabotage" "Catastrophe" and the famous "Pronto, pronto, pronto Guiseppe" will haunt me for weeks to come!

This group of very talented young people are an absolute asset to the hotel and they should be rightly proud of themselves. They manage to entertain groups of tourists day in, night out from as far reaching as Russia, Norway, Ireland, Germany and Italy and do it all with a smile. They were easily and by far the best thing about this holiday and I am not ashamed to sy that I would happily go to any resort that they ended up in. Bravo Animation team!!!!

Room Tip: Choose a sea view room
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Flinky478
Reviewed 17 August 2013

A very clean, well put together hotel with comfortable rooms ( ours had a great sea view).

The food was varied and very well presented - the salads, grilled meats and buffet were all fresh and regularly changed. I saw chefs coming out and testing the temp of foods. On that note the Head Chef and his team that worked the grill station were fantastic and would cook meat to your tastes if asked. I was always greeted with a smile and asked how I was - the little touches like that make the difference on a holiday.

I have read the comments about Irene and I have to say that I did not experience anything like that - in fact the total opposite. I think saying help and thank you on her native language goes a long way. the kids loved her.

The pool area was always clean and the beach is only a stones throw from the hotel.

The staff across the whole hotel were all very friendly and when we had a small issue with the air conditioning it was fixed within half an hour. We were able to book a room for an hour on our departure day with no hassle and it was equipped with fresh towels and a bottle of water.

Yes - the toilets do get blocked because people do not read instructions that were in bold letters and yes sometimes there is a smell because of it, but and it is a very big but the team there work their hardest to fix all blockages around the hotel.

Now on to the real high light of the whole stay - The animation team! the five members of the in house entertainment team made the holiday. you could do as much as you wanted or do nothing at all, but their infectious smile and energy always got me doing something.

They were always on the beach, around the pool and in the kids club making sure that the holiday was as fun as it could be and then to top it all the evening entertainment was probably the best I have ever seen on holiday. Every night was different and catered for all guests.

The comedy night made me and the kids laugh, the men v women night made me cry with laughter and the fire and magic night made me stand and applaud at the end. Tommy and the team are a class act and I would recommend staying at the hotel if only to experience the Pronto magic.

Couple this with a great hotel experience and I think this is a fantastic resort with something for everyone.

I could not complain about anything during our week away here.

3 Thank Keith P
London
Reviewed 14 August 2013

The location on the beach is ideal unfortunately no beach bar which means a trek up to the pool bar.The food in my opinon is what you would expect from Greece,salads feta and pork I mean a lot of pork everyday in fact.The staff are friendly ESPECIALLY IRENE,always happy,willing to help and great with the kids she's are favorite.As for the title all inclusive surely that should mean 24hrs as with other allinclusive resorts in which we have stayed?Not here it basically turns into a regular hotel after 2300 hrs so if you want to continue with a nightcap don't forget your Euros,also the bottled water is not free at all 1.50 a bottle including the one provided in your room.The hotel star rating I think is a bit high,more like a 3 star a bit shabby in places,the pool is small and easily congested.The animation team create a good atmosphere without them it would be too quiet for some.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view room as the others are situated with a stone wall for a view
1 Thank DJCP2013
Reviewed 10 August 2013

My husband, girls aged 11 & 7 and myself stayed here in peak season with the aim of having a relaxing holiday. The Aquis Pelekas Beach certainly delivered that. I agree with other reviews that 4* would be a more accurate rating, but the room was exceptionally clean and tidy, and the reception staff most helpful when we had a problem with our air conditioning, getting it sorted out that day. The drainage issue is something that needs attention. We did not suffer any problems in our room, although the poolside toilets could be contributing to the occasional waft by the pool.
However, the beach is simply stunning and the sea clear and sheltered. It does miss the hotel beach bar, but there were always plenty of sun beds around the pool, which was rarely too crowded. The buffet restaurant offered lots of variety, but suffered a little from some interesting refreshed combinations the following day. There was an a la carte restaurant for a supplementary charge, but we didn't feel the need to visit it as we always found things we liked.
The thing that stood out most for us was the friendliness of all the staff, in particular the animation team for their sheer enthusiasm and energy. We had an absolutely lovely time, and were sad to leave. Thank you Mr Mexas and your staff for a most relaxing and enjoyable holiday.

Room Tip: Book a sea view room as the others do literally face a brick wall.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Mel S
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Just returned from a two week holiday at Aquis Pelekas (Two adults and two teen boys). Upon arrival, we experienced exactly the same situation as vxr8owner review below, but the staff was very quick to move us when we complained about no view and very stinky sewer system. FYI - the sewer system can't handle loo paper, so you must use the bidets and throw your loo paper in the bin. The other downside is that I found the beds to be very hard, but I prefer a softer bed.

On the flip side, the other recent reviews pretty much sum up what a fantastic place it is, but I'd like to add that the location is really terrific...only 20 minutes to Corfu town, on a gorgeous sandy beach with beautiful clear water. You can swim out very far and it remains shallow and warm. The sunsets were amazing, too. However, at dusk, be prepared to be bitten by a mosquito or two.

The food was actually quite good for an all-inclusive and we loved the fresh fruit, Greek specialities and Greek desserts. The waitstaff was mainly Polish and Romanian and were so friendly and efficient. We loved the animation team, who tirelessly worked from morning till late to make people feel welcome and give us a good laugh. Tuesday night is Greek Night and it was my favourite for food and the entertainment by local dancers was great!

We rented a car for a few days to explore the island and also went into Corfu town (VERY hot 40 degrees!) Achilleon and Aqualand and met wonderful people everywhere we went. We were so glad that we chose the Aquis Pelekas after seeing some of the other areas (Rodas and Sidari, mainly), which were so touristy in comparison. We recommend renting a boat and exploring the coastline (you can rent on Pelekas beach). Amazing crystal clear water with a few fish to observe while snorkelling (hint: feed them bits of bread) and beaches and caves only accessible by boat. All in all, a really fantastic holiday. Great for our teens, too, as they had the freedom to do what they liked, eat when they wanted to, and consume as much ice cream as they could hold!

Thanks Aquis Pelekas!

Room Tip: 6201 has great views, great a/c, overlooks the evening's entertainment shows
4 Thank WinchesterFamilyof4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pelekas
MarBella Corfu Hotel
Mayor Capo Di Corfu
Mayor Capo Di Corfu
#1 of 4 in Lefkimi
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,284 reviews

Been to Mayor Pelekas Monastery? Share your experiences!