“Good hotel with excellent staff”

Mayor Pelekas Monastery
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Pelekas
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I've just returned from my 10-days stay in this hotel. I must say it was perfect for me. The hotel is not may be brand new and some times the usage is noticeable, but the positives significantly outbalance.

The biggest positive for me is the staff. All of them are very friendly and helpful. Starting with reception where they fulfilled all of my request, bar and restaurant staff and many others. I would like send special thanks to Daria. She gave us a very valuable information when we were planing our car trip, she took care of our satisfaction and was (is) a good friend of us.

The beach is very nice, sandy with gradual access to the sea. The beach itself belongs to the most beautiful beaches on the island. The sun-beds and umbrellas in front of the hotel are free of charge. We had any problem with finding a free place on beach. Count of the sun-beds is sufficient and event if any umbrella was available the beach guy gave us one from the storeroom. Towels for usage by the pool and on the beach are available in the reception for 5 EUR deposit and could be changed every two days. Event though there is no beach bar, they have a special beach service that let you to order drinks, that are delivered shortly.

The quality of the restaurant is good. There are two restaurants "Pergola" (main restaurant) - free of charge and "Olive tree" for 12 EUR / person. I cannot rate second one, because I've never been there. The main restaurants provides mainly greek kitchen. There are also three thematic dinners per week. Only negative I see is, that the breakfast is consisting of the same items every day. I would also prefer more interaction between cook and guest, which I saw in other hotels. I mean the cook would make a food in front of you only for you, like the fresh waffles, steak, omelet etc. I would also prefer some fruits, toasts, etc. in a snack bar rather then fries and meat balls.

I have no issue with the room. It was spacious and clean.

The nearest village is about 2 km far from hotel. If you would like to get there you can use the hotel shuttle bus approx. 5 times per day, your own car or go there by walk. The last option is very hard to do, because you must go that 2 km to the very steep hill.

Animation team I find a little bit weak. In my opinion they only put people together for some activity and sometimes just left. I didn't noticed some further social contact with guest also. The evening performances was exactly the same that I saw in different hotel last year. I must say there are 2 evenings per week with an external performance (singing, dancing), those are fantastic, do not miss them.

Finally I find this hotel as a nice place and I would like to come back once in a future.

Room Tip: Some rooms marked as "Sea view" have their views partly covered by vegetation. I would rec...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michal L
Aquis_Quality_team, Manager at Mayor Pelekas Monastery, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

“Dear Guest
We would like to thank you for your positive feedback. We pay attention to all comments and we always try to meet our guests’ expectations”

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I've stayed in this hotel with my boyfriend in July 2014, and it was a complete let down. Upon arrival, check-in was fairly quick and the staff welcoming enough; the room was also quite good, but only because of the great sea view from our balcony (for which we had paid an extra during our online booking). However, from this point onwards, the resort was a continuous let down.

We tried to go down to beach, but the sun beds and umbrellas of property of the hotel were really few it was almost impossible to find a place to sit, so we had to retreat to the pool area. Moreover the beach area is not delimited really well, and it was hard to distinguish between the area destined to hotel guests from the others, were you had to pay for the facilities. Since we had rented a car, this didn't come as a big problem for us, but it is not acceptable for a 5* resort not to have enough space for its guests.

When we tried to look for the gym, it took as 10/15 minutes only to find it, as there was no staff around to ask informations, and when we finally found it, we were astonished! What they call a "gym" is just a tiny room, with the windows left open and the air conditioning turned off, so the heat and humidity was almost unbearable. As if that wasn't bed enough, there were only 7 or 8 machines, all old and unused for quite a while. Basically, even though they write in their site that they offer a gym, I can assure you they don't.

However, what we found the most absurd is that we had to pay for everything "extra", although we were "all-inclusive". If we wanted bottled water, we had to pay, and at dinner we were served tap water that very often tasted like chlorine and was just impossible to drink, so we had to switch to soft drinks. We had to leave a deposit for beach towels, and although we paid for them, they could only be changed after 2 days of usage! Even to print our boarding passes, we had to pay 1€ for each boarding pass, which was even printed in black and white! Having done so at a copy bureau it would have costed us no more then 30cents in total, and in this hotel we had to pay 2€!! There were only around 10 drinks you could choose to drink at the pool bar without paying an extra fee, which is completely inadequate when you praise yourself of having an "all-inclusive" policy!

The checkout was extremely slow, and it took us around 30 minutes, because even though it was obvious that there would have been a lot of people between 11 and 12 to check out, there was only one receptionist to do the work. The general manager was never to be seen, apart from when he was by the pool chatting on the phone, which is just unbelievable, considering that more than once we saw guests presenting their problems and all they were ever told was that "It wasn't their fault" and that "There was nothing the could do to help, unless they were willing to pay something extra".

The biggest let down, however, was the wifi service. On their site, they praise themselves of having free wifi (which is admittedly hard to find in Corfù) but what they don't say is that the wifi is slow it is almost impossible to use it! Upon arrival, we went to the reception to ask how to log-in, and once she explained the very first thing she said was: "It's slow, we know it's slow, and can't help it". Well, I can only say that it wasn't only slow, but often it was impossible to access, and even when you managed to it was often the case that it just wouldn't work! Forget about searching something on Google, or looking at some social network, but at most time it is impossible even to download emails or receive Whatsapp messages! We think the reason why it's so slow it's because the system is too small to sustain the large number of accesses, in fact the only time in which it was working was when we came back 2.30am, which is even more disappointing, as if this is the problem, there is A LOT they can do to fix it, but are just not interested in it.

We experienced some other problems, like the inability of the restaurant staff to understand us (My boyfriend was sick, so I ask for "plain white rice" and they brought me the rice wit still its boiling water!) but I think that the list I made so far is enough to let you understand my opinion about Aquis Pelekas Beach Hotel. All in all I can only say that this is not a 5* resort; I have travelled a lot in my life, and I have stayed in countless hotels, and this is, at most a 4* hotel! Here the only valuable thing is the view of the sea, which is stunning, and nothing more! Definitely an overpriced hotel, and one that I would advise everyone to run away from!

Room Tip: Always choose the "Sea View rooms", the others have a view on brick walls and are so dark...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank ImparareViaggiando
Aquis_Quality_team, Διευθυντής at Mayor Pelekas Monastery, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for contributing to the profile of our hotel on Trip Advisor. We are truly sorry to read your strong words of disappointment with regards to your recent stay at our hotel. Of course our primary aim and objective is for our guests to depart from the Aquis Pelekas Beach Hotel satisfied and relaxed from an enjoyable and fulfilling holiday. We accept that this cannot always be the case but we are very keen to know which ‘pieces’ of our facilities and services package do not please and fail to live up to our guests expectations.

We were sorry to read your negative comments towards our hotel services and specially regarding friendliness of our staff, which are completely contrary to numerous of flattering reviews from guests who have visited our hotel.

We believe that comments and criticisms are always of benefit to us, however we always prefer our guest to inform us of any dissatisfaction at time that this should occur , and not the day of departure, to enable us rectify the situation immediately.

All the points you mention should have been very clearly explained to you by your Travel Agent at the time of your booking and it appears that you have been misled by the information given to you. It is very common that some extra charges exist even in an All Inclusive package and these are for optional services only.

With regards to the WIFI access, we offer our guests complimentary connectivity throughout the hotel’s public spaces. During times of peak usage and especially when all users are handling heavy software the speed can sometimes decrease. We were however equally dissatisfied by the WIFI speed in our hotel so we took corrective measures in August, which has now resulted to a much more reliable WIFI service.

The star categories in each country defer, and certainly many guests have different experiences from various hotels across the world. Aquis Pelekas Beach hotel is an official 5* hotel as certified by the Greek Tourism Ministry.

I would like to thank you once again for expressing your views here on Trip Advisor. We can only hope that you will consider returning to the Aquis Pelekas Beach Hotel or another Aquis in the future, so that we may have another chance at showing you the service and hospitality for which we are proud of.

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We just came back from there far away from the war in our country ....we had a perfect time ...its a very good hotel for family no bad comments ...just perfect...a very good service and a great food with the best shiff....tha animation team-pink wave- doing the best for all ages to have fun...espicially andrea from italy....a young nice alpacino.....hamam -israel

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Hhamam L

“Dear Guest
We are very pleased to read that you had a positive holiday experience while staying at Aquis and even more so that you took the time to share it with TripAdvisor’s readers”

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We just came back from vacations in Aquis Pelekas hotel. First impression we had when arrived was: old hotel,very small pool, few sun ombrellas in the beach, restorant area too small for such a huge number of rooms and visitors. Kids playing area( playground), was small and not possible to be used during the day hours as was too hot and without shadow. Service in general was good, hotel staff were friendly and helpfull. Cleaning staff were doing a good job to keep up with so many guests, rooms were perfectely cleaned every day.
What make the difference in our staying was animation staff, specially arriving of the new entry of AM, Karolina the young lady responsible for the kids club. She was great with kids, and our two children of age 6 & 11 really enjoyed going in the kids club.
Food was OK but not that diverse, after a few days you will see the same dishes over and over again. Specially the variety of cheese was very scarce and really below what one could expect in a mediterrian country.
In general I would say that it was a good 4 stars hotel rather than a 5 stars hotel. It definitely needs much more pool,restaurant,beach and entertainement areas to adequatelly serve that many rooms the hotel has!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Andi E
Aquis_Quality_team, Διευθυντής at Mayor Pelekas Monastery, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for contributing to the profile of our hotel on Trip Advisor. We certainly do our utmost to make your holiday an unforgettable experience, so I am very pleased to read that you were satisfied with the hotel in general. Thank you also very much for all your nice comments about our personnel and hotel cleanliness. I will make sure the comments will be passed on to the staff and I am sure they will make them proud.

The few areas that we failed to meet your expectations are also very important to us, as they enable us to identify the aspects of our services and facilities that we could potentially develop and improve. I assure you that your points are noted and will be examined carefully during the winter time in order to offer a better product next year.

Once again, allow us to express our appreciation for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to our resort on your next holiday to Corfu.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We would like to say a big thank you and the appreciation and kindness that you and your staff at both hotels showed us, it was amazing. Our anniversary memory is full of smiles and laughter. Everyone made us feel welcome and we definately will be coming back this time with the girls (our daughters).

The place was spectular and the pictures we took take your breath away, the only photo we never took was of the staff at the hotel eg: reception and waiters. Phillipe your husband was so helpful and always there for us and making us feel welcome, the other waiters aswell and they all knew which drink we would like with our food. Everyone was good.

We have recommended the hotel to everyone we have spoken too.

Could you please pass on my thank you to them all and wish them best wishes and you all have a good Summer.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea, the sunset was out of this world. We sat in the bar and it was couple of feet...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AmoMahal

“Dear Guest
We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your positive holiday experience at Aquis Pelekas Beach hotel with TripAdvisor’s readers and we hope to welcome you to another Aquis hotel in the future”

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Great Hotel with lovely Beach only downside is there is a lot of steps in and around the hotel.
Lovely pool nice clean rooms all staff really friendly and helpful Good food choice and standard, would recommend a stay at this hotel.
We caught the bus to Corfu town which was really nice, cheap and easy way to get around Corfu.

Room Tip: We had a room with a Sea view which was really nice.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Sara S
Aquis_Quality_team, Manager at Mayor Pelekas Monastery, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

“Dear Guest
We are very pleased to read that you had a positive holiday experience while staying at Aquis Pelekas Beach hotel and even more so that you took the time to share it with TripAdvisor’s readers”

Reviewed 5 August 2014

my wife and 2 friends stayed here 14th - 21st august ., really nice hotel , great food ,average local alchol , great staff always trying to help in anyway possible .

rooms are ok nothing special , aircon could do with being colder than it was , always cleaned daily.
the pool was a little small for the size of the hotel , you had to make sure to get a space before 9am or you got no hope ,as with the beach , i had to put towels on the sun beds at 6am to be sure otherwise no chance ,the russians mainly would of taken over them !
for a nice evening meal try zorbas restaurant .., excellent food and service
in all a nice hotel , very quiet and relaxing if thats your thing , but a little limited., if your wanting to go out ., its hire a car or taxi

Room Tip: sea view is the best option ,but , the sun shines directly on view so rooms get extremely warm
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank geoff1203

“Dear Guest

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pelekas
Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort
#1 of 4 in Lefkimi
Grecotel Eva Palace
Grecotel Eva Palace
#2 of 3 in Kommeno Bay
Mayor Mon Repos Palace 'Art Hotel"

Been to Mayor Pelekas Monastery? Share your experiences!