“great chill out hotel”

Mayor Pelekas Monastery
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Pelekas
Reviewed 10 October 2009

Just returned from this Hotel, sorry to hear that some guests were unwell. We had a great time. Location fantastic, rooms clean-fresh towels every day or on request. The restaurant meals - which tended to be pretty similar, offered enough choice that we could have a different meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day of the stay. The staff are definitely this Hotel's Unique Selling Point.

Robert and Spiros in the main restaurant were superb, however every member of staff went out of their way to make the holiday enjoyable. I have only given this three points for location as it is very out of they way and not easy to get to other parts of the island or even for an evening stroll. However, if you are looking for a chillout getaway or romantic week it's perfect.

Areas for improvement:
The temperature of the food and the fact that it was open to any flying insects, (we saw a two or three flitting freely across the food ). This is difficult to prevent but there did not appear to be any insect controls. This was concerning from a Food Safety Standard. We had no problems but may be an area for improvement.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,369)

Reviewed 9 October 2009

I have just returned from beautiful sunny Pelekas to a cold & dull Forres, but know the warm memories I hold from this holiday will get me through the winter. *** We arrived at night to be welcomed by a very organised reception team in a stylish modern open bar / lounge area, within minutes we were shown to our room. It too was modern & stylish with a huge bed and large sofa bed made up for my daughter with still plenty room for us. We stepped out onto the large balcony & even by moonlight the seaview was amazing! ** The breakfast buffet had a great range of choice for everyone and the staff are so friendly and attentive Stellios was brilliant. ** I must say the location is superb! Rather than feeling isolated you feel like its your little piece of heaven that you share with the other guests. ** The large decked area near the pool bar was my favourite place. You look right out to the sea and George at the bar keeps everyone happy with his naturally pleasing ways and lovely personality. It was a great novalty to take your Gin & Tonic a few steps down to the beach while soaking up the sights and sounds feeling like that is how life should be everyday. ** Charlotte took great pleasure in dumping us in favour of kids club as it is a big part of what she looks forward to on holiday, that and the beach and she was also in Heaven. ** The Greek night that the hotel organise gets everyone into the Holiday spirit and had a wonderful atmosphere around the pool bar.** I think its a great idea having the Olive Tree and Sushi restaurants as extra options but feel people could be a bit more adventurious and try out the Sushi restaurant as it seemed quiet. People might not want to spend money on it when they are all inclusive but you are on holiday and not really spending money on anything else in the hotel. ** I would say the massage therapist is most definately worth a visit. This wonderfully talented lady is based on the decking area in an enclosed Gazebo so that you can have the fresh breeze and the sounds of the sea around you while you are being transfered to a relaxed state that will not leave you for your entire stay. ** The hotel have a bus that takes you up the steep hill into Pelekas town and if you wonder further up the hill in Pelekas you will find the most amazing view point where you can see right out to Corfu town and Harbour. We decided just to walk back to the hotel taking lovely photos along the way and it only took about 25 mins (much easier going downhill). ** I could go on about so much but worry the review will not seem believable as I had worried about the odd bad review stating the great ones were not true before I went. All I can say is im so glad I went & wish I had trusted all the fantasic reviews & ignored the others as for what my family experienced I think they must have been somewhere else or not looking at the bigger picture. ** Aquis have got the right attitude as the Hotel is very well run with Fantasic staff from the Manager through to the cleaners all working hard to give the guest the very best stay possible. I feel they truly care about the guests which is not something that you get in many places nowadays. I dont usually go to the same place twice but I know I will be back very soon. Had we not been going to OZ & NZ next year I would have already booked my return. Superb! Relaxing! Top Class! Thank you everyone at Pelekas Beach for making our holiday so special. Charlotte is hoping her picture is still on your wall when we return, Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank ForresScotland
Reviewed 9 October 2009

We have just had a fabulous week at this hotel. The place is immaculate, the staff are very friendly and the food was great. There was something for everyones taste in food , my only criticism is that some dishes could have been kept hotter, but overall excellent variety. We were particlularly impressed with the efficiency of the restaurant staff and their freindly manner, nothing was too much trouble. It was good to see such dedicatioin to one's job , they could show our waiters & waitresses a thing or two!

A special hello & thanks to Donna, Ellie , Sam & Pete the animation team who did a great job in entertaining the guests and were always around for a friendly chat , especially Donna, hope you feel better soon.

The reception area and bar were always spotless and the bar staff always ready to keep us topped up with the local drinks!

We would not recommend going to Corfu this late in the year again as there are hundreds of wasps around due to the grape harvesting that goes on but apart from that we would definately return and hope that the standards are maintained for our next visit.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GillyPBrighton
Reviewed 8 October 2009

By the time we left - the topic was when did you get sick and how long have you been sick. My friend got sick and she was out for the whole week. She told me she had never been sick on vacation and definitely never this sick. The doctor was called it was that bad. She is finally finished with her antibiotics.

We spoke to other people and all had various degrees of the stomach virus.

The reviews months ago had the same thing - they have renovates they say, but they sure didn't get rid of what was ailing everyone.

How this has not been shut down is beyond me.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank saglondon
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Recently visited this hotel with my brother and although there were some people suffering tummy problems, we though had a great holiday. The hotel rooms, pool and bars are of a high standard.All the staff are very caring The location and beach just wonderful for a relaxed holiday as long as you do not want excitement of a large resort. Meals were buffet style but plenty of choice, although rather same dishes every day.

We booked an all inclusive week including alcohol and

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2009

hotel is more of a 3/4 star, food lets it down for 5 star. the location is excellent on beach with great sunset views. There was a smell of sewage here and there but you could not pin point where it was from. Also smelt by the pool, a maggoty smell i am sure it was a dead cat or something in the bushes on the hillsides but i was not going down to investigate. The staff are very very nice. We ate in restaurant and it was ok. buffet style but my one complaint was that food is only luke warm and i like my food very hot.
The soups were good. Bread is also very good.
Had one meal in the a la carte restaurant which was really very very good.
My only comment i have for the a la carte is that they should change the lighting to a more romantic/ambiant lighting. its all a little too stark. it would help tremendously to have more ambient lighting. The rooms were very comfortable, dvds on hire from reception if weather is not to good. The cleaner was very nice and friendly and cleaned the room each day and changed towels etc. The only drawback is that there is no place to walk to as such so you are stuck in vicinity of hotel but the beach is excellent so if like us you just want a week relaxation then i would recommend it.
Management continually check on facilities but they should taste the food, as i am sure they would also find the food is served at the wrong temperature. it would not be allowed in an English hotel. Maybe thats why people do get ill. I was ill one night but i think that was more a case of over-eating !!
the massage offered by the thai girl was amazing - definitely give it a try.
We had to move on last night to an inland facing room which was not a problem and helped us as we left at a silly time of 3am. I prefer the sea view rooms, they are much bigger. Also the smaller inland room has only a tiny shower and the shower curtains are too short / hence the bathroom floor ends up soaking wet !! A small thing which they can very easily rectify. LONGER SHOWER CURTAIN NEEDED.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2009

My partner and I stayed at Aquis Pelekas Beach Hotel the last week of September and had a fabulous time, the staff were very friendly really liked George, Yorgious and Robert at the bar, the restaurant manager and head chef, and not forgetting the great Animation team - Pete, Donna, Ellen and Sam. Was a lovely relaxing break with great food and good atmosphere. The hotel was spended and the rooms lovely too, our view from the balcony was amazing and watching the sunset was very romantic. Would highly recommend this hotel and hope to return one day.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pelekas
MarBella Corfu Hotel
Grecotel Eva Palace
Grecotel Eva Palace
#2 of 3 in Kommeno Bay
Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel

Been to Mayor Pelekas Monastery? Share your experiences!