“One to avoid!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Teignmouth, United Kingdom
“One to avoid!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

My love of curry began as a teenager when my mum introduced me to the humble Vesta. One packet of curry, one of rice, add water, boil and then deep fry the noodles that came in their own little cellophane packet...yum!
This to me this was curry until a student friend took me to a real Indian Restaurant Aged 18, this was the moment that real curry became my absolute favourite food.
Food reviews are always subjective, however I have now spent 40 years eating Indian food all over Britain and feel that I know how Indian food should be.
To me the Bayleaf Restaurant in Odiaxere was the worst I have ever had,
The sauces with the poppadums were tasteless despite having the vibrancy of a colour chart, the onions bhaji's had the consistency of putty, the samosas were so hard that you could have broken your teeth on them and the naan bread was small lifeless and flat, with none of that nice puffiness and slightly burned bits that you should get at the edges, worst of all was the Biryani. As a lover of hot curry I requested that the accompanying sauce be made hot, my partner on the other hand requested hers be made mild. Now here is where the real problem began.The Biryani appeared as a lump of brown stodge without absolutely no separation in the rice. Biryani on its own should be slightly spiced with the heat (or lack of it) provided by the additional sauce.
This meal was already at vindaloo strength without any sauce even being added, so what was the point of my partner ordering hers as mild? I begrudgingly paid the bill which was presented in a small wooden box full of hundreds and thousands, however I wasn't really in the mood to count them.
A small liqueur and an after eight would have been a lot more acceptable given that compared to other restaurants in Alvor or Praia de Rocha this one was actually more expensive.
My sympathy lies with the waiting staff who I have to say were perfectly lovely but unfortunately badly let down by their chef.
My suggestion would be that he visits Naz Indian Restaurant in Teignmouth, Devon where he could see how it should be done.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Cliff L

essex
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

This place looked newly opened .was very clean but a little brightly lit for an evening meal. After waiting a long time in another Indian restarant in Lagos as know one had offered us a drink we decided to leave and stop at bay leaf on our way back to our villa. We are glad we did. The food was great service great. The meal was a very good price. Hope more people try this place as they deserve to do well.

Visited September 2013
“Such a delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Wonderful restaurant so clean and pleasant great atmosphere food fresh and delicious highly recommended its a must see, fabulous service clean efficient.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Chel2472
Breda, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
“Delicious curry's in Odiaxere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

When we saw this new Indian restaurant Bayleaf in the village of Odiaxere (naar Lagos) we inmediately gave it a try. We were received by the friendly host and his staff. We are used to spicy food, so we ordered vindaloo with the remark that we like it hot. Although it was very tasty it was not that spicy, so we made a comment. We got inmediatly a new dish which was nice and spicy with no extra charge. 2nd time we visited we had lamb rogan josh which was absolutely delicious!

• Visited June 2013