“lovely hotel”

ClubHotel Riu Guarana
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Olhos de Agua
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Me and my husband stayed in this hotel from the 1st -7th june. On arrival we were offered a glass of chamagne as we booked in. We were given a room on the 5th floor overlooking the pool and seaview in the disatnce as i requested. The rooms are spacious and modern, but the matresses are very hard, resulting in a very stiff back in the mornings. The hotel throughout was beautifully decorated with excellent facilities.
The food in the main resturant is very good with plenty of choice. i didnt like the wine as much as other hotels ive stayed in as i found it too sweet. There is a choice of two other resturants which needed to be booked in advance, the asian and the grill, both very nice but unable to sit outside in these.
The pool area is luxurious with swim up bar which wasnt open but we still sat in the water sipping cocktails. There is entertainment provided during the day with various sporting and fun activites which didnt inpact on anyone wanting to relax. The evening enterainment area was always packed and difficult to get a seat so we often missed it but what we saw looked like fun, mainly provided by the animation team who worked very hard day and night. There is an indoor pool , jacuzzi , sauna , steam room and gym .
There is a choice of beautiful beaches nearby. Turning left out of the hotel takes you down to the beach past various bars and resturants. This area is lovely to sit and have a decent glass of wine in the evening . There are two other beaches nearby which are beautiful, one of which is near the pine cliffs sheraton resort with private sunloungers. we were told by the attendant that we could hire the beds for 150 euros each for the day, mmmm dont think so !! the same beds on another part the beach were 13 euros for two ???? from this beach you can walk to vilamoura.
We went to vilamoura one evening on the bus and had a drink in the marina . this was lovely and cost 15 euros in a taxi to get back. Alberfuria old town is also lovely, we looked round the shops and walked to montechoro along the beach and over the cliffs.
Overall we had a wonderful and relaxed holiday in a luxurious hotel with very attentive and efficient staff . we definately recommend this hotel for couples and families with children up to the age of about 14yrs.

Room Tip: high floor with pool view.
1  Thank tril27
Write a ReviewReviews (2,186)

Reviewed 3 July 2012

Not many have noted that Riu RENT the Guarana but OWN the Palace opposite and the difference is much more than one star!. This Guarana is more like a three star!
Don't get me wrong it has some very good points in cleanliness,food and the restaurant staff are very helpful and polite, but this hotel is not for couples who want an area to relax in the evening after their meal. Quite simply there are NO indoor quiet areas available to relax with a coffee etc and the Management say the reception on floor zero is not available for this purpose. The poor entertainment team (having seen three other entertainment teams recently at other Riu's) seem only able to entertain those with children and I would say their parents get value, but the "team" excludes those without children who have also paid and deserve entertaining. Indeed many couples are seen wandering the hotel with drinks but are left with little option but to retire to their rooms for relaxation. To this end,the ability of Management to actually undertake any "changes" a claim made at every welcome meeting and to address any issues in ONE hour and conclude any issues in 24hrs were shown to be empty words.

Room Tip: High Floor with Pool View
2  Thank Andi Lancashire L
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We have just returned from this hotel and have enjoyed out week there. Food good and hot, drinks very good and good selection and good idea to be able to get drinks on tap. The cleanliness of the whole hotel outstanding. The location was very good and we didnt mind the steps. Even though the entertainment team worked their socks off the entertainment was not for us. We hired a car for two days which was good to be able to see the more traditional parts of the algarve. All in all a good holiday.

1  Thank teresa42
Reviewed 1 July 2012

My wife and I spent a week at this hotel, on arriving at 12noon we were told by reception that our room was not ready and was in the process of being cleaned, normal time of access was 3pm.
We were told after checking, our room would be ready in 30 minutes, we went for a drink came back and our cases had been taken to the room for us. So reception was doing its task correctly.

Next the room , clean , no double bed just two singles pushed together, and although the bedspread covered both the sheets were singles so you have two single beds made up, pushed together and covered to look what it was'nt. Beds were hard but that suits my taste , we got a surprise about 1/2 hour later when the couple from the adjoining room next to us decided to check the connecting doors only to find they had been left open ,on calling reception a staff member was up immediately to lock both doors.
Done the usual coin test, toss it a couple of inches under the bed & see how long it take them to find it , I lifted it when I left.
In general the cleaning was of a reasonable standard.

The restaurants were well managed and as we were only there for a week we did not tire of the variety plus the choice of menus between the three eating areas, but remember and book your places at the Grill & Asian restuarants promptly when going to the main restuarant.

Could not fault the bar service.
The entertainment was mainly family orientated which suited us, as it kept children occupied.
The evening entertainment was disrupted the week we were there due to Euro 2012 & the fact that Spain, Portugal,Germany & England were all playing meant the tv screen dominated.

Now come the main area where this hotel could improve . THE OUTDOOR POOLS,
The signs say NO pool bed booking, NO inflatables , you had to get out of bed early to get a bed any where near the pools . The first day we came down when the restuarant opened for breakfast (8am) we looked outside & over 50% of the beds were covered with towels.
There was no pool attendants or staff member present all the time we were there so no one could enforce the laws laid down by the company, The condition of the sun beds were horrendous over 75% of the had more than 2 broken supports on them, so it was more like a hammock.
The shear volume of sunbeds around the pools meant it was nigh impossible to get access to the showers around the pool as there were beds infront of them , again this contravened the advisory signage. There was no marked walkways to get access to the showers or the pools, so people just pulled there sunbeds to where ever they wanted leaving a long walk to the pool or walk through other partys sunbeds to get access.
The smaller Kidney shaped pool had in excess of 250 sunbeds round it, if everyone had decided to go to the pool at once they would have needed to queue on a "one in one out" basis.
The main outdoor pool clover leaf shaped with 3 main areas one has a bar at the end OK if you can get to it through pool games or fitness classes an deluge of inflatables, I have no objection to swimming aids for kids & infants, but crocodiles, dolphins & lilos take up a fare area of the water surface. Again the management made no attempt to impliment the advisory signs they erected.
I would advise this company to get rid of the cheap plastic chairs at the main out door bar , it was amusing to watch the unsuspecting people coming along and sitting on them after the chairs had been siting in the sun , the legs just gave way under you ,again amusing to watch but one of these times someone will have a hot drink and end up with a serious injury.

To wind this up I feel this hotel almost lived up to its 4star rating but the main failure was the outdoor pools, to many sunbeds proportional to the pool sizes, and the companies failure to implement what it says on its advisory signage

Room Tip: Ask for a pool facing room the only ones that get any sunshine
1  Thank fiddlestix
Reviewed 25 June 2012

This is my first ever review and, of course, it's only my opinion but I hope it is of some use! I booked with Thomson, the majority of the reviews were good so I went ahead. I was not disappointed upon arrival. The hotel is absolutely spotless, I've never stayed anywhere (and I've travelled a fair bit) as clean as this place, even when I looked I couldn't find a spec of dirt, anywhere! The gardens are beautiful, the rooms spacious and the staff can not do enough for you. The things that 'let it down' a bit for me, and it's probably just the way things are in Portugal (and I've never been before so don't shoot me) were:

On the first morning at breakfast, a smiley lady came over and asked if we wanted coffee, we said we'd like tea please, she said they only brought coffee to the table and I had to get my own tea and pointed to a corner of the restaurant where there was hot water and milk. I didn't understand why this was and it annoyed me that they would bring a pot of coffee but not a pot of tea. Sure, not everyone likes the same tea but the same could be said about coffee - they could bring hot water and a small selection of tea bags could be on the table with the sugar, you still had to go and get milk anyway so it seemed a bit odd to me. We were lazy by day 3 so had the coffee, and it was really fab with lashings of hot milk. Do try it!

The wine - oh dear me - the wine, and I did whine! The white was like sherry, the red was like vinegar and the rose was equally horrid. I admit, I am a sauvignon blancer (that's not even a word I know, but you get the point) but it was really not nice. No problem, I thought, I'll try one from the bar, nope it's same wine - all on draught in several locations around the hotel. By day 4 I went to reception and begged them for a nice glass of dry white wine, the nice man at reception got me a map and sent me off to a local wine shop, I bought a bottle of SB for 9 euros and enjoyed every drop. Of course, this didn't spoil my holiday, but if like me you like a nice glass of wine, you *may* be disappointed. Incidentally, the gin and tonic was fine, but there are no branded alcoholic drinks - they are all local drinks on all inclusive and I hadn't expected this, maybe that's the norm but when I stayed at Sandos San Blas in Tenerife last year it was all branded drinks and freshly made cocktails.

Wifi - when I booked it said there was wifi and there is - but it costs 5 euros for 1 hour and you have 48 hours to use it and can only log in 3 times in that period. We gave up with that and wandered 5 minutes down the road to a friendly bar offering free wifi - again, not a massive issue but good to know, I really needed to check my emails daily and it could have gotten expensive had the free wifi bar not been so close - I think it's a bit disappointing that RIU do not offer wifi, even if just in a small area of the hotel.

The food was reasonably good, a varied choice and it was reasonably hot considering everything was buffet style. There was no waiter service at all though - except for coffee at breakfast.

The bed in room 005 was rock hard - we asked for a topper and they immediately bought one t the room and this helped. My daughter slept on a sofa bed (she is only 3) and that was fine but I think older kids would struggle, it was a very thin mattress. Again, excellent service though and nothing is ever too much trouble.

We asked to borrow a pushchair for a couple of hours, again - it was provided, nice and clean and no trouble whatsoever.

The pools were freezing, didn't try the indoor one but the outside ones were BRRRRR! Spotlessly clean, but cold....

I guess the bottom line is - would we go back? To Portugal = yes. To this particular RIU - probably not, to other RIU hotels, definitely. I will know in future to check the details more carefully!

Despite these bits, we had a wonderful holiday, the entertainment was really good too!

Room Tip: Room 005 was a family room with a balcony overlooking the pool area, it was a bit noisy in the eveni...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with CoopTravel
8  Thank MeJulie186356
Reviewed 21 June 2012

This hotel excels in every department, great food in all three restaurants, Yasumi (Asian), Grill and main restaurant, rooms very comfortable, entertainment very good, the service in all bar and eating areas was quick and polite, pool area very clean with plentiful sunbeds and towels, free fridges and safety deposit boxes in rooms.

Service in reception also excellent.

Will certainly return at some future date.

The staff and management worked their socks off to make our stay a first class experience, Riu Group have gathered a great bunch of people to work at Club Hotel Guarana.

Played golf at Solgados, great course at reasonable rates, 79 euros for 2 green fees + buggy

Room Tip: Ask for high floor with pool view
5  Thank LochLeeGlenesk
Reviewed 21 June 2012

As someone who has experienced a lot of Hotel Animation teams I have to admit that the team at Riu Guarana have to be the best by far. And with the hotel being in a quiet resort it saved us a lot of money on Taxi's back and fourth to New Town.
The nights when the animation team weren't performing were filled with "Top Acts", but I dread to think what Simon Cowell would say if any of them auditioned for Olhos has talent!!!
The Hotel itself was excellent, clean and the staff could not do enough for you.
The food could become a little repetitive after 2 weeks, but there's nothing stopping you popping into the Old Town (For around 8 euro's) to sample some varied menu's.
The rooms were always kept clean and tidy and the maids always had a smile on their faces and a nice word to say.
The only negative point I could say was that if you enjoy a nice comfy bed then take your mattress with you... To say they were hard would possibly be an understatement.

But all in all an excellent Hotel and area

Room Tip: Ask for a pool facing room, there's not much of a view from the front of the hotel
3  Thank 1Steve_bach
Adriana Beach Club Hotel Resort
Alfagar II Aparthotel
Alfagar II Aparthotel
#10 of 152 in Albufeira

Been to ClubHotel Riu Guarana? Share your experiences!