“NIce location, average food”
Review of Tavertino's

Tavertino's
Ranked #15 of 52 Restaurants in Olhos de Agua
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
England
“NIce location, average food”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We ate here twice as by Olhos D'Agua standards the atmospehere was nice with a pretty outside area and not the suual plastic seats/tables. Service was good, even when the place was completeyl full as it was on our first visit. However, the food was not so nice. I had mixed grill on night one, maybe always a bit didgy in Portugal but everythnig was dry and tough. Second visit I went for the traditional "Steak Portuguese". This was very poor as instead of a nice rich gravy as should be the case my bowl had a thin layer of "gravy" completely submerged in oil which made the steak and the potatoes virtually inedible. I remarked on this to the waiter who then tried to explain to me that this was normal as they "cook the steak in oil". Coming from a Portuguese family and having had this dish many times and in many different places I can assue you this is not how it is meant to be ad it was a shame he could not just acknowledge this. Having said that, as I say, the atmosphere was nice and it was good to find a place that did not have huge TV screens blaring uot the World Cup - as many other otherwise nice places felt compelled to do. Maybe we were a bit unlucky with our food - I would urge you to try it as it was popular and had a nuce atmosphere, generally friendly staff

Visited June 2014
1 Thank suitableforupgrade

“Disappointing”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

It had the best appearance of all places we have eaten in, but food was very bland and boring. Not a good value for money. Waste of a meal really.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Olga S
East Midlands
“Very poor service”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I dined here as part of a pre-booked pre-paid group. We were kept waiting for wine and water for at least 20 minutes, then another 20 minutes or so for our starters. One of our group left as he'd experience poor service the night before. During our meal which was indoors fellow diners were lighting cigarettes and smoking at their tables, we raised this twice with staff but they just said it was allowed and we were in the smoking section. We had smokers in our group who would leave the table and go outside so not to offend others. Another member of our group left for this reason. Meal wise mine was ok, generous portion and good quality salmon. The staff seemed very stressed and run off their feet to a point where they were abrupt to us. Would not dine here again and will be feeding back this experience to my travel agent.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Amaisie
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Great food poor service.”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We were looking forward to the meal tonight as my wife was not 100% and needed to go out. We started with a large carafe of red wine and a large beer for me. I had melon with smoked ham and cherries and it was very good but to much.My wife gad shrimp with avocado pear and that was amazing. I had steak with a mushroom sauce with rice and chips, very good. My wife had monkfish kebab and it was amazing. So good I wish I had it. The wife had some sort of dessert as I do not eat dessert but told me it was very good. Now the down side, getting served was a bit of a problem I understand it was busy but to be told I'm busy and we waited 25 minuets just to order is a bit much. I also noticed the locals were served first and had better service than we did. I spoke to a English couple on the next table and they also noticed we were treated different. Now a good side my wife and I always have a guess at the bill and we were very surprised it was only 43€ great value. Please make your own mind up to what you think but for us great food average service.

• Visited June 2014
Chester, United Kingdom
“Best food around!”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The staff are so lovely and friendly. The food is just amazing! The salads they bring over to accompany the main dish is to die for & I'm not a salad fan!! Food is always served promptly and it is a shame this isn't ranker higher, it really is wonderful!!

• Visited August 2013