“Never again!”

Restaurante La Cigale
Reserve with
Restaurante La Cigale is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 50 Restaurants in Olhos de Agua
Price range: US$11 - US$38
Good for: View, Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic, Kids, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Never again!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

We visited Restaurante La Cigale August 2014. Great location right on the beach, we had a table outside overlooking the rock. Lovely! It wasn't very busy. There were 6 of us (4 adults and 2 children). Before we ordered we asked for drinks, my wife asked for half a litre of Sangria. They brought a litre! Not really a problem on it's own. With the drinks came the couvert, which only 3 of the party asked for as the others had starters. Onto the main course, the waiter did a very good pitch to us, saying the 4 adults should have this particular fish (can't remember the name and it wasn't on the menu!) He made it sound really appealing more than enough for 4, too big for 3 he said, plus it wouldn't have any bones. One of the children ordered breaded chicken and the other (fussy eater) asked for plain grilled chicken. All going quite well so far! The meal arrived and all looked good, the fish (can't remember the name) looked pretty small to me but felt confident in the waiter as everywhere else we had eaten in Olhos D'Agua, the waiters had been great. Well my confidence was misplaced as he started dishing out the smallest piece of fish I've probably had to the 4 adults. They were smaller than the children's portions. The fish did taste nice though, there just wasn't enough for 4 adults, I think it was a better size for 2 adults! Plus I had to pick out at least 4 big bones!! The plain grilled chicken came and my daughter said it tasted funny and burnt her mouth, we just put it down to her being fussy and told her to carry on eating it, which she did a little and still complained. So I tried it.... Well, it was covered in the most amount of Piri Piri I have had in the Algarve, I love Chicken Piri Piri, but this was even a little hot for me!!! We felt really bad that we had made her eat it. When we complained to the waiter, he was completely rude and uninterested. He even stopped talking to us mid conversation to start a conversation with people on another table! He then came back and said he didn't know what all the fuss was about and what did we expect with Piri Piri. When we told him that we hadn't ordered the Piri Piri and had asked for it plain, he just grabbed the plate and walked off!! We have eaten in numerous restaurants all over the world and this was the worst attitude and service we have received. Then the bill came!!!! Or should I say thrown at us!! What...... How much for a small piece of fish!!! The bill came to over 220 euros (typical bill in Olhos for the 6 of us was around 100 euros). We paid it but didn't leave a tip, which felt really strange as it's the first time we've never left a tip. We felt like all they were interested in was to see how much money they could get out of us. We felt completely ripped off and will never be going back. It's such a shame as it's fantastic location which I guess is what they play on!! If I could have given this restaurant '0' stars, I would have. Please, please, please. If you visit Olhos D'Agua, avoid this restaurant, there are plenty of other restaurants with better food, better service and better value for money, we didn't manage to try them all but can recommend O Manuels, Kalheiros and even Fratellis (which I was surprised at!!).

2 Thank NoWayMan2014

• Polish first
Dublin
“Beautiful Meal and View in Restaurant La Cigale”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Just back from Portugal where we paid a visit to Restaurante La Cigale, Olhos de Agua in Albufeira. The seafood there is to die for, I went with my best friend and 8 year old son. I had a beautiful starters of avocado and prawn in a marie rose sauce. My son went for the regular prawn coctail, his favourite. I had lamb cutlets with mint sauce and we had chocolate mousse to finish. We had the house red which was really fruity, for three of us it came to €100.00 which is good considering the service and the view. A cut above the rest. I would definately recommend it.

1 Thank Aoife L
Cork, Ireland
“Ripped off, poor service. Not Michelin Star.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We walked in at 6pm with our daughter and ordered shortly after. There was another couple with their child as well. Neither of us got our entrees until 7pm - with excuses from 'the chef is in love' to 'we only have 1 chef on from 5-7'. It did not help seeing a team of chefs sitting, eating and drinking wine and beer. As with many of the reviews here, the fish is overpriced. €55 for 1 Bass between 2, and €16 for a single 200g king prawn as entree. I work with weights and I'm sure there was no fish in that tank that weighed 1kg ! Being charged for the nibbles before you eat I don't mind - but even these were shamefully priced. The Bass was good and it was fresh - so I don't understand why it was loaded with salt and butter ... I expect to pay more for location but unnecessary high pricing and bad service really let it down. No way a Michelin star.

Morpeth, England, United Kingdom
“Seafood special”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

I am astounded to find one of our favourite places to eat in the world is ranked so low by our fellow tourists.
The location is fabulous and we have been returning numerous times over the last 8 years and never once been disappointed either by the service or quality of food and the friends and relatives we have introduced to this gem have been equally impressed.
My wife loves the grilled Atlantic Salmon along with the Cataplana which is my favourite and the choice of fresh fish is great but obviously dependant on the catch.
We had lunch there on 5 out of 7 days in the area and could not fault a thing.
5 stars all round once again and we will be returning in September for another round of lunches and people watching in the sun.

• Visited July 2014
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Not a Michelin Star Restuarant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Booked after reading about this eatery in a magazine for my husbands birthday. Lovely location on the beach. Service attentive but not intrusive. We had Sea Bass which was cut at our table. Waiter said he had done his best to get the bones out but could not guarantee we would find any. Realistically you cannot expect boneless fish and we did find one or two. This did not detract from our dining experience. The fish was cooked beautifully and we really enjoyed our meal. Meal was good but doesn't deserve any Michelin stars in our experience.

• Visited July 2014