“Chaterbraund, "Oh my God"”
Review of A Cantina

A Cantina
Ranked #25 of 55 Restaurants in Olhos de Agua
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Maybe I have the title incorrect, but this Filet of Beef dish for 2 was the best ever. I agree with Holli666 comments re the wait for drinks, as my preference is for a beer or two before eating. The waitress who we suspect is also the manageress had a special welcome on each of our 2 return visits. We will be back again in 2014 hopefully. keng Cork

Reviewed 19 August 2013

My son took his girlfriend here on the Saturday night of our holiday, He said the food was stunning but service poor, He took us there on last night of our holiday, Where do i start, after sitting for 15 mins i had to get up and remind manager/owner we would like to order some drinks, while waiting for the drinks a table of four guys got bored of waiting and left. The younger male waiter informed us they had no Malibu. When he brought the drinks to the table, he bashed my wife and daughter on the back of there heads with his elbow and spilled my youngest sons' drink on the table. He returned with a cloth and bashed my sons girlfriend and myself on the head with his elbow.At this point i decided we should leave(to try Nelsons(see my review) down the road).I went to the bar asked for the bill, now at this point after seeing 4 guys walk out and another 6 customers about to leave you would think the manager would ask if everything was ok? but no he proceeded to write out a bill for 5 drinks(there were 6 of us) I paid the bill and left. I'm sorry that i cannot comment on the food, it did look very good, but the front of house lets this very nice looking venue down.

2  Thank Holli666
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

Lured by steak on the stone and - hallelujah - a choice of 4 vegetarian options we chise this restaurant for our last meal in Olhos. A great disappointment. The steak was great, the stone a novelty. But sides of about 8 chips and what appeared to be canned or frozen vegetables was not acceptable given the €17.50 price tag. Veggie option sounded great. A veg and fruit kebab. Sadly it was literally a few veg and a couple of bits of apple just about grilled. Not an ounce of protein in sight. And a tiny side salad all for €7.50. Ok service but you are much better off elsewhere for better value and quality.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

My partner and i had a lovely meal here she got a steak which was to die done the way she wanted and my fish was lovely and enough sides to make it a very good meal and desert was a treat lovely place for a meal.

Reviewed 21 June 2013

Having eaten steak on the stone several times in Madeira, I found this OK. The steak itself was beautiful and tender but the side of fries and salad (cabbage & carrot) was very small. An additional order of salad was requested, but did not arrive until the meal was almost finished.
A little overpriced for what you get. Reputation is probably due to the novelty factor of streak on the stone.

1  Thank TheHud72