“Very good”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is very close to where we were staying and we had resisted going in because we had previously gone down to Olhos d'Agua beach area to eat. We decided to do something a little bit different on the Saturday night and try out A Cantina. I have to say that I wish we'd tried it before. The staff were friendly, offering advice on our choices and considering we varied the menu they were very patient also. The value for money was good and the only reason I haven't given an excellent review is because my wife ended up with my steak and me hers. A simple switch on our part resolved that.
This is a very good and well laid out restaurant that offers great steaks but also offers other meat and vegetarian dishes. The staff are welcoming and there was no complaints about the price. We will return and recommend it to others.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Like a previous review we we stopped by Melanie outside the restaurant offering a 10% discount if paying by cash or a free bottle of wine! Lovely Portuguese vegetable soup to start, I had codfish chef style and my wife had swordfish, both were excellent, we both had a dessert with tea and coffee and two rather large brandies. The atmosphere was great as was the service, I am writing this whilst still in Portugal as we are going back to have the steak on the stone which looked spectacular. Highly recommended!

2  Thank RFS29
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

came to A cantina after being persuaded by a lovely lady outside to try it out, have to say it was one of the best meals ive had since being here , definitely recommended

2  Thank Loxley G
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Went a couple of times on holiday. Would really recommend it and would suggest you have the steak on the stone as a main course .Service and surroundings are excellent,

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We have been to Balaia a few times now, and this is by far the best restaurant we have ate at. Superb food and very helpful staff. They even arranged a birthday table for us! We are returning to Balaia again this year and will be visiting A Cantina again. Have recommended them to all our friends! Looking forward to June!