“Hello...HOW MUCH!!!!...Goodbye”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 14 May 2014

HELLO!..Stopped off for a coffee after a drive around the countryside, Asked for a bica (expresso) and an abatanado (expresso with extra water).Looked at the menu and realised the price was 1.75euro for each. Said if its that much no thanks, bearing in mind the going rate for a coffee is 60 cents to 1euro for both in most other places. We were reassured by the waitress that the menu was wrong and it would be 1euro, so accepted and drank our coffee. When we came to pay I gave her 2 euros at which she said that the batanado was 1.75 euros and the bica 1euro. excuse me but you said.... But she said the batanado is a double expresso (oh no its not). so asked how can you justify 75 cents for a splash of hot water. At this point she became very aggressive. I then asked to speak to the owner, who... was in Holland, so after a 10 minute phone call (paid by her). I left satisfied that I was only paying 1euro each. Out of principle!! Don't bother stopping, the waitress has a bad attitude and you will get ripped off. GOODBYE!

1  Thank Linda g

Reviewed 4 October 2013

My partner and I returned to Hansel & Gretel's, even after the disappointment of our visit in April. This time, we arrived on a Sunday afternoon, always a busy time in the past. On arrival a waitress came out and told us that the whole place was closed for a private function. We couldn't even get a drink. Now many people drop in to this place, for refreshments after a long walk through the woods and down to the dam. To arrive to find no refreshment available, when people come visiting from miles around, I believe is totally out of order. I will certainly not be back.

1  Thank MIKEROBE
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Visited the former H&G after a hike around the reservoir. Now known as "HelloGoodbye." Was disappointed to see that it changed hands, but happy that a restaurant exists at the location. One needs refreshment after a walk around the lake. Had lunch from a good selection off the menu. Yes, it's not the same as before, but don't the new owners have that prerogative? Staff very friendly. Look forward to visiting again.

3  Thank BillHalfmoon
Reviewed 25 May 2013

That is the name of what was Hansel and Gretel.
Now awful no customers on a Saturday afternoon. Food rubbish and very expensive.

Garry

Aljezur

2  Thank Garry G
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Sadly, since the previous reviewers visited, the owners have sold up. Currently, they have the same chef, but the menu has been severely cut back. What was a brilliant, out of the way place for lunch or an early tea, has gone seriously down hill. The new owners are in the process of extending the patio area, but going by our visit in April, they will never fill it. The new owner was away, apparently, for several weeks, so we were told. I think, when they return, they will have little or no business left. What a waste of a well situated eatery.