“Taste the lemmon cake!”
Review of Casa de Cha O Fio

Casa de Cha O Fio
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Tea House with amazing views over the ocean.
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We came there by chance, after a nice walk in the Scottish-like area and it was a nice place to rest our feet, eat a very good lemon cake and drink maracuja juice. The staff is very friendly.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stopped here after a walk in the Ponta do Pargo area. We bagged a table outside on a sunny but not too hot day. The service was prompt and very friendly.

The herbal tea was delicious. Usually I'm more of a Yorkshire tea girl than a herbal infusion girl, but if I could get this stuff at home I would drink it daily.

I had the traditional Madeiran beef stew which was served with chips and salad. It wasn't what I was expecting and when it arrived I was a little concerned as the beef looked very anaemic and appeared to be in little more that water. Actually the beef was very tender and the jus packed a flavour punch. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his steak sandwich.

I also had lemon cake and coffee which were both good, the reason for four stars instead of five? My husband's biscuit and cream dessert appeared to have been in the chiller next to something savoury which unfortunately left it with a slight garlicky oniony undertone.

That said we thorough enjoyed this meal and would return.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We visited the Casa de Cha O Fio while on a drive along the western coast of Madeira. I have read several of the rave reviews and wonder what those people had to eat that I did not. We found the food average, as was the service, but there was nothing other than the view which was noteworthy.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Just imagine you arrive at this welcoming restaurant in pouring rain, very hungry and thirsty. We received a warm welcome and chose a table. The menu had a good choice we chose the fresh herbal tea and Mediterranean toasted sandwiches. We watched the lady pick the herbs for our tea from the garden. The sandwich had cheese and tomatoes in it and some herbs delicious! The tea was super and we finished off with a slice of homemade cake, a simple but perfect lunch.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We've hired a car whilst in Madeira as we wanted to see as much of the island as possible........without being tied to organised trips. It's worked very well for us and one of the delights we found was this place! Breathtaking views and plenty of parking spaces so no problems there : ) We only actually popped in for a cup of coffee before setting off back to our hotel at the end of the day. However, the place looked so inviting and the staff SO helpful that we decided to check out the menu. We enjoyed the food and then tried their speciality tea, it was spot on......mint with a bit of lemon and fennel. Please try it if you visit. This place is run by several ladies and it really shows, it's lovely and clean and the loos are a delight! I would certainly suggest you at least pop in for a drink if you're nearby.