“Nice family-owned hotel”

Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Stalos
Zurich, Switzerland
“Nice family-owned hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

It's a nice, simple hotel run by a caring couple. They do the best with simple means. Most or all rooms with sea view. It's a bit above the main street, which makes it a less noisy place. Great breakfast with Mediterranean flavour. Free WiFi, hotel pool, a short walk down to a sandy beach and 15 minutes to the centre of Chania.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

Fantastic hotel. We stayed here in September. Everything about the place is lovely - beautiful views over the bay, lovely people, nice clean rooms and the lunches were great. Even the steps down to the town didn't put us off (it helped burn off a few calories!). We could find nothing to fault here. We would definitely recommend it.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

This place is an absolute gem! It is amazing, having found it on TA, I went not knowing what to expect.... Brilliant is the answer. Giorgios and his family were great, organising a taxi, sorting out day trips, helping us plan our stay, nothing was ever to much. The service is what you would expect in 4 & 5 star hotel. Everything was enjoyable, the view, the people, the breakfast, the place... brilliant. The food in the bar was fantastic, excellent portions, enough for two and the roast potatoes were yummy, try them. The tzatziki was delicious too. Simple and brilliant! The view out of the bedroom window was breathtaking. The 97 steps down will keep you fit and it is a pleasant walk back up! Also you have access to free wifi, another plus, definitely 5 Star - loved it.

Room Tip: Sea view is a must - view is incredible
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Playa Blanca, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed six nights at the end of August. On arrival we received a warm welcome. Our room had a bacony overlooking the pool and Kato Stalos beyond.
We enjoyed the buffet breakfasts and also the light meals availabe by the pool. We walked into Kato Stalos for our evening meals , a 10 minute walk, where there was a good selection of restaurants. We loved the pool, the views and the 24/7 free tea and coffee.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Epernay51
Solihull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Renieris for ten nights at the end of August to celebrate our first wedding anniversary and we only have positive things to say about this hotel. Giorgios and his family are brilliant and work incredibly hard to ensure that everybody who visits has a wonderful time; nothing was ever too much trouble for them.

The hotel is immaculate throughout, including the rooms, reception areas and the poolside. Our room was cleaned and made up every day, and was very comfortable.

Breakfast is included in the room rate and was excellent value for money, with a selection of cereals, juices, breads, hams, cheeses, cakes, jams, olive tapenades, eggs, coffee, tea, yoghurts etc etc. The food was always fresh and being refilled by Giorgios, even when we arrived in the dining area at mid-morning after a long lie-in!!

The hotel is well located at one end of the resort, only a short walk to a number of excellent restaurants (don't miss Markos for the most authentic Greek restaurant experience). Giorgios was always happy to recommend various restaurants in Stalos. Being at the far end of the resort meant that it was extremely quick and easy to get a bus into Chania which is a lively and vibrant old town with superb restaurants, cafes and bars.

The walk down to the beach takes no more than five minutes; being set back in the hill is a real advantage because whilst the road isn’t exceptionally busy, being a slight distance away means that it is very quiet on the balcony and by the pool. Climbing back up the steps from the road to the hotel was absolutely fine.

The poolside area is fantastic, with amazing views of the sea and the resort. While we stayed there were always plenty of sunbeds available and it was nice and quiet. We ate at the poolside bar nearly every lunchtime which was excellent value for money and the food was really high quality.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel. It is perfect for those looking for a relaxing time, with the guarantee of being well looked after by the outstanding hotel management. We will definitely be going back again! Thank you Giorgios and family 

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mark W
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

My partner and I (age 25-30) have just returned home from a week at the Renieris Hotel in Kato Stalos, Crete. I can honestly say I have never stayed in a better hotel. Giorgios and his family's warmth and genuine willingness to make your stay as enjoyable as possible goes beyond any 5* hotel I have ever experienced. Such lovely, friendly and extremely helpful people.

When we arrived the first thing we noticed was how IMMACULATELY CLEAN the room was. We could not fault the room at all. Not a single crack in the bathroom tiles or a glimpse of mould. The room was bright and fresh. Even the windows were free of any dirt or smudges - noticed this when I went to explore the balcony, I had left a huge hand print on the glass pane. The shower unit was better than ours at home! It had a large head which made it easy to wash my hair (my hair is long, past my shoulders). I find I need a mirror with natural sunlight to do my make up and there were two large mirrors, one in the bathroom and one in the bedroom - I found I could use either to do my make up as there was plenty of natural light.

The room was spacious and light - we had everything we needed; aircon, fridge, wardrobe with plenty of hangers, hairdrier (a really good one!), handwash, showercream, fresh towels, tv, EXCELLENT WiFi, to name a few. We arrived after midnight and were quite thirsty - this was obviously anticipated by the owners as there was a large bottle of water waiting for us in the fridge. The bed was large, clean and COMFORTABLE. Had the bed been thin and uncomfortable, I would say so. The pillows were thick with soft cases, which were changed daily. We also had a large, cosy blanket to throw over ourselves in the night which made our sleeps even more comfortable - we were never too hot or too cold.

We had a sea view room and upon awaking on the first morning, the views were breath-takingly stunning. Most hotel management pictures do not seem true to what the hotel is actually like in real life - I can honestly say the pictures of the hotel we saw prior to our holiday are true and resemble the beauty of the place.

As the hotel is on a hill, the views are even more amazing. At sunset, the hills are silhouetted against the orange and pink sky. Every star seems to be a reflection of the other coastal hotel lights, an achingly-beautiful sight. A peaceful and private paradise.

Some people have mentioned about the stairs leading down to the beach in their reviews which quite frankly I have found to be unfair. They certainly had no impact on our holiday. It tooks us around 1 minute and 30 seconds to climb these few steps and maybe 30 seconds to walk down. I think a lot of reviews have painted a picture of staircase leading up an unclimbable mountain. Please, I am not fit nor unfit - provided you are of reasonable health the stairs will be a welcomed 1 minute mini workout whilst on holiday.

The pool and garden area, again like the rooms; clean and immaculate. The pool was crystal blue and large, an excellent pool for those who enjoy swimming. It was a refreshing and cooling retreat to escape the heat of the day. The edges of the pool again were so clean that could parch yourself on the side of the pool without feeling dirty. I have been to pools before where you have reached out for the edge of the pool only to feel the smallest amount of grit, which to me is enough to make your hands feel dirty and say 'ew, yuck'. The grass was so neat and tidy that if your foot happened to touch it, you would leave a print! The hotel was surrounded by trees and flowers which complemented the bright, clean building so well. The pool area was never too crowded as there was plenty of seating. At the pool bar there was a selection of beers, cocktails, soft drinks and ice creams (a bottle of beer was only 2€). A beer in hand in a relaxing pool overlooking the sea, basking in the warmth of the setting sun with the slight sound of birds chirping, I tell no lie.

You were able to order food throughout the day, again there was a large selection to choose from. We tended not to though, because we ate so much food at breakfast! The breakfast was fantastic. There were so many of my favourite foods that I would partake in gluttonous eating, so much in fact that I would not have to eat again until my evening meal. Breakfast for me was fresh fruit (the watermelon was so juicy) with Greek yogurt and Cretan honey and cereal (I opted for muesli), then Greek omelette, black and green olives with a selection of meats and cheese and some other traditional Greek foods which I am not familiar with but they were lovely! Then FRESH crusty bread with jam (I tried a different flavour jam every day, grape was the best), and cakes! Also they had the Greek equivalent of Nutella - and I never thought I would say this but it was far more tasty than Nutella! More nutty! All washed down with fresh juice and fresh coffee. There was a HUGE selection of teas too! You never had to fight over food either or rush down to be the first there as Giorgios and his family and constantly topping up the tables.

The beach is within close proximity (a five minute walk from your room), supermarket is 10 minutes (I would invest in a snorkel and lilo from the supermarket, you will not regret it! Plenty of fish in the sea to explore at the nearest beach). The beach itself was a haven in its own right, plenty of deck chairs and parasols and golden clean sand, never too crowded and crystal clear water with an abundance of wildlife. There are loads of restaurants nearby to choose from, our favourite one was Nesaki Pizzeria Ristorante (turn right as you emerge on to the road in front of the hotel and walk along the coast for 15 to 20 min and you will see the Ristorante on the right). The pizza and pasta were the best I have ever tasted and presented beautifully.

The nearest rent a car is 'golden wheels' and it is a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Definitely worth renting a car if you want to travel across the island (for those who have never been to Crete, it is a huge island with a lot to see and do).

I better conclude this essay...

Excellent staff, incredible value for money for any traveller of any age, delicious food, amenities within very close proximity, SUPERB location (close to beach and restaurants, elevated enough to be a private and peaceful hotel). Not too far from the airport, about a 25 min drive (taxi from the airport to the hotel cost 38€), there are buses available and much cheaper than a taxi, but we thought the taxi was reasonable and more convenient.

Also you can get massages at the hotel!

We would like to thank Giogious and his family for a wonderful stay and we will definitely be returning!

Nicola from Wales, UK

Room Tip: We had a sea view and loved it, but the gardens were also beautiful. If you had a garden faced room...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank N R
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

Excellant hotel and highly recommended. Stayed for 4 days.
Good value for money. Conveniently located for beach & buses into Chania - the 97 steps to street level will keep you fit! Rooms and hotel very clean. Rooms a bit on the small side, as is the shower. Stunning views from balcony. Owners very helpful. Plenty of restaurants to chose from, Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Sea view are the best...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Masood S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stalos
Samaria Hotel
#11 of 110 in Chania Town
Rimondi Boutique Hotel
Rimondi Boutique Hotel
#1 of 167 in Rethymnon

Been to Renieris Hotel? Share your experiences!