“Excellence in Beautiful Northern Portugal”
Review of Hotel Minho

Hotel Minho
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We came for a family wedding in England and the 2nd part of our trip was thru Portugal and Spain. Our last 4 days of our journey we had a car and my Husband wanted to go to Fatima and to Santiago De Compastela. as we drove I found the country just breath taking and the people so helpful and friendly. We asked our front desk clerk to please book us a room in nice quiet village on our way back to Lisbon, and she booked us into this beautiful hotel. We stayed in a five star and that hotel didn't even measure up to this one. When we checked in, our room wasn't ready yet, so we asked for a recommendation to eat, and where the locals go, Bruno recommended the Casa Lau restaurant, the food was excellent, it was really nice and the weather was beautiful. when we checked in the room was beautiful, the bed was great, because we have slept on some really awful beds during our trip. the room was more that what I expected, the patio off the room right to the pool and the tennis courts. We didn't part in the Spa, but I did check it out and I would have used it. I honestly have to say that in America we can take tips on customer service from them, because they were incredible. When we checked out in the morning they were kind enough to help us book our hotel at the Lisbon airport. It will be awhile before we come back, but the Hotel Minho I will recommend to my travel agent, and to anyone I know who is going to Portugal and going to the Northern region. I would give them 10 stars if I could.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Susan D

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stay overnight after a day of site seeing in Northern Portugal. We were treated to the most incredible elegant hotel on the edge of wine country - we had a balcony room facing the outdoor pool. The concierge were very attentive and well spoken English - the spa and mineral pools, lounge spaces all beautifully designed and detailed with a high level of quality materials wood and stone. Breakfast was elegant (straightforward fruit, eggs, deli, cheese )overlooking the countryside - it is remote but well worth the drive if you plan to spend time in this area. Very traditional restaurant great family (separate review). Knowing this place would recommend at least a 2 nite stay. Well crafted Portuguese design and hospitality. Bravo.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RenanteSolivar
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I got to stay at the Hotel Minho in northern Portugal at the end of May for a few days. The main thing here is the staff are extremely courteous and helpful in this recently-renovated hotel. I learned that the staff were all retained by the owners while the hotel was closed during the renovation which shows great loyalty. While it does not have its own restaurant, this is not a drawback as the same owners own the restaurant situated alongside the hotel - it serves fantastic food at reasonable prices and focusing on local cuisine. while the menu was only in Portuguese, the waitress explained everythign in English. The hotel rooms are spacious, if box-shaped, but the private terrace was almost as big, including table and chairs, facing over the pools, tennis court and vineyards. There were not a huge number of people staying at the hotel when I was there, but this was probably as it was not yet high season. The breakfast was very healthy, in keepign with the focus on the 600m2 spa. There is a huge amount to do in the surrounding region, by car, which I wrote about in by travel blog - see http://www.chronicle.lu/categoriestravelopinion/item/7430-geoff-thompson-destination-minho,-northern-portugal-nature,-history-wellness.

Room Tip: ask for a hotel overlooking the pool and you geta great balcony/terrace
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Loved our short stay in this hotel. Very comfortable and quiet. The SPA service is 5 stars. The breakfast can be improved. The surrounding area is very nice.It was a pleasant surprise and will go back for sure.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 January 2014

This hotel was closed for a long time and finally reopened recently. I was hoping for a full refurbishment but they only built a new SPA and renewed the common areas. The rooms are exactly the same as before (in my room the bath was also refurbished) and that was a disappointment.

The Spa is the big plus in the hotel. It is brand new, with a cool jacuzzi, steam room and sauna, and also a small pool. The problem may be if there are too many guests at the hotel, if it got crowded I wouldn't want to be there. The Spa workers were really nice and showed us around first.

The bar area is really nice to look at but the sofas aren't very comfortable. I prefered the old classic hotel leather sofas.

The rooms are not the best in the hotel at the moment, although I had a reasonably comfortable night. They should at least have a look at the mattresses and change somethings in the rooms because they just don't match with the rest of the hotel.

The breakfast was alright but not worth of any special remark.

I will be back. This is one of the best hotels in the area, perfectly located, and it has always been a good experience to stay there.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Filipe L
Reviewed 7 October 2011

I am at the hotel. For 3 yours this morning nobody noticed lift not working. This Pm hotel chose to have paths cleaned by noisy machine. No regards to my complaint. No rest, no way i'll be back.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Lambda75
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Smart, modern hotel by the main road (N13) 6kms NE of Vila Nova de Cerveira. English spoken: the young boy who helped checked us in was sweet, but the older lady apparently controlling everything had the personal skills of The Sphinx, studiously and sternly paying us no attention at all. Hotel information in English and Portuguese but not Spanish. Attractive pool area, complete with reasonably priced bar: perfect for a lazy, hot summer day. Our upper floor room was medium sized, had lots of wood and natural stone, and with an excellent huge terrace (although surprisingly with no privacy from neighbours). The bed a little hard and the shower temperamental (sudden bursts of unexpectedly hot water). We went half board, for a very good price (109 euros), which included evening meal in the restaurant a couple of minutes walk away. The restaurant waiting staff included a variable mix of personalities (our waiter, who seemed to know everything, made recommendations which we unwisely opted for). The menu offered a rich variety of possibilities and the food was abundant and very well presented. Unlike us, most other people in the restaurant seemed to be choosing the rice dishes and meat cooked on a hot stone which, although not recommended to us by the waiter, looked good. The price also included a bottle of vino verde. The breakfast was a zoo, with loads of children (this was August), and we had to wait in line for a table, but they offered a good range, including hot food. The hotel seems rather isolated (you need a car to go anywhere), although this makes for a relaxing sense of security. As with the number of breakfast tables, there are not enough places in the car park (why?) so if you arrive late you have to park in the restaurant car park. A good touring base. The next night we stayed in the parador at Tui, paid considerably more, and got better food, accommodation and service. So I guess in this case you get what you pay for. It was extremely interesting to compare Portugal with Spain.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
#2 of 3 in Caminha
Pousada Viana Do Castelo
Pousada Viana Do Castelo
#2 of 26 in Viana do Castelo

Been to Hotel Minho? Share your experiences!