“Nice basic clean Hotel | Pretty location | Good owner too” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grapevines Hotel

Grapevines Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Alykanas
Mytilene, Greece
“Nice basic clean Hotel | Pretty location | Good owner too”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Stayed here self catering. The owner is very attentive and the staff are good. Nice little bar. Clean rooms, good all round. Nice vibe here too. The rooms were a good medium size and it was a comfy sleep. Recommended as a basic accomodation with clean rooms for those that want to spend more time exploring, like me :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bangin

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

After deciding on a last minute girly get away with my mum (mum 55, me 27) to catch some early pre-season sun in late May, we came across The Grapevines Hotel - and I'm so glad we did! Andy the owner made us welcome as soon as we stepped off the coach. The staff were all friendly, cheerful and helpful in recommending things to do and see. We went on the wine trip on the train to Spiro's vineyard - this is a must, and who needs an excuse to sample some wine! We left laden down with wine and the best olive oil I have tasted. A wonderful scenic way to see the island and see some of the history of the area in the museum. Andy clearly works incredibly hard and takes great pride in the hotel. The staff are wonderful and you can enjoy a peaceful day by the pool, a lovely mezze platter or cocktail or home-cooked specialities in the evening. If you want to venture further, there are heaps of restaurants offering some delicious food and entertainment. We took walk down to some of the more hidden beaches off the beaten track which provided some stunning views. A real find and pleasure to stay. Wonderful people and wonderful holiday, thank you!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Laura C
Todmorden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Me and my partner absolutely loved our stay here. Andy, the owner was so friendly and helpful at all times. The rooms were basic but spotlessly clean and had everything we needed, including amazing views over the mountains. The bar food was good and very reasonably priced. It is also in an ideal location in my opinion, set back from the main strip of tavernas so it is very quiet at night time. The pool never seemed busy, I think four people in it at the same time was the most I saw the whole week there! It is also a great walk to the beach, me and my partner walked a bit further than the main tourist beach most days and found some beautiful coves which we had all to ourselves at times. Certainly not for people who want to stay somewhere lively, but personally I prefer quieter places so it was exactly what I wanted. Overall I can't recommend it enough and would return tomorrow if I could!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 0Charlotte0
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

Hello we have just returned from the Grapevines and really enjoyed the stay. The owners are excellent, upfront and to the point, the location of the Hotel is ideal also. Comments regarding cleaning are justified as the toilet bin should be emptied more often.
If you book with Thomson an upgraded room make sure you recieve this as we didn't and we did get a refund so not a real issue appart from being placed in one of the two smallest rooms and it appeared that the upgraded rooms were issued to returning guests (I might be imagining this).
Would I return? Yes I might go back next year but there is still a lot of world for us to see.
Would I recommend it? Yes Although minor niggles I did enjoy this holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newer rooms at the front of the hotel overlooking the country side. Definately no...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank iant1
yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

Just back from a weeks stay at the Grapevines. Lovely little complex, quiet and peaceful and never a problem getting a sunbed by the pool. Although the rooms were nice and comfortable we were a little disappointed with the cleaning of the rooms. In the week we were there our room was "cleaned" twice with a clean top sheet and clean towels once. This I can accept, but as many of you who travel to Greece will know, the toilet paper is put into a bin in the bathroom, and unfortunately our bin was only emptied 3 times throughout the whole week, the last time being Friday. This meant the bin was not emptied for 4 days which I find unacceptable, especially in the heat. We were not the only ones with this problem, a couple in the next room to us had the same problem and another couple we spoke to had not had their room cleaned or clean bedding and towels for 8 days. The Grapevines is a lovely little place but needs to get this problem sorted before it gets any worse.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
CARDIFF U.K.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

Just back from a glorious stay once again in this lovely little complex. Andi continues to please all the guests with her caring positive attitude especially to the many elder guests. On this occassion two lovely people were celebrating their Golden wedding anniversary during their stay and invited all guests at the Grapevines to join them in their celebrations. Unfortunately a pre planned meet up with resident friends of ours on the same night prevented us from attending and we felt aweful refusing the wonderful gesture off Andy and his wife Margaret. We nipped to the bar on the night for a quick drink before going off out to see that Andi and family had made the most super effort to ensure that the golden couple had a night to remember which I'm sure they did. Nothing at all has changed here and the golden oldie music played during the long hot afternoons was again right up our street. Poolside food and drinks remain excellent value and food is of a very good standard compared to other places in the resort and Colin provided excellent speedy service with food piping hot and well presented.
Mimosa is the most hard working cleaner and never ceases to smile as she works the studious and grounds spic and span, she's a real gem indeed and a credit to the team there. Andi's young sons continue to grow and Kosta the eldest is just so much fun challenging me to arm wresting etc and I'm sure in a few years time he'll eventually get the better of me one day. I've got to mention "Geordie's" Mark and Debbie who we got on with really well with sharing many humourous stories and one very boozy night. Please Grapevines stay just the way are your just perfect for us.
Big Tony & Christine Read (Cardiff S. Wales)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MONDEO1
Hull
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

We have just arrived back from the Grapevines and although we enjoyed our stay, there were some things that we were very disappointed with. The pool area was very clean and there was never a problem finding a sunbed. The problem we had was the maid service. We arrived on Tuesday and the maid "cleaned" the room on Wednesday. She came again Friday, when she brought clean towels and a clean top sheet for the bed, although I can't be sure the bottom sheet was changed. We never saw her again! Anyone who has been to Greece will know that toilet paper is placed in a bin in the bathroom and for that bin not to be emptied for 4 days is disgraceful. We were not the only ones who had this problem, the couple in the next room were in the same situation and another couple had not had their towels or bedding changed for 8 days. The couple who did not have their bedding and towels changed for 8 days were given a blue plastic bag and told to do it themselves !

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alykanas
Valais Hotel
#3 of 6 in Alykanas
Koukounaria Hotel
Koukounaria Hotel
#2 of 27 in Alykes

Been to Grapevines Hotel? Share your experiences!