“Noisey”

England
“Noisey”
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Stayed here end of May.
Nice hotel, friendly staff, Thomson advisor's seem good, though did not have any reason to contact them beyond the airport transfer.
Room was nice and big, clean, even had a toaster. More than sufficient for self catering breakfast and lunches for us. Balcony overlooking the pools, which wasn't very peaceful!. Other rooms may overlook towards the beach and then some at the front of the hotel overlooking the bar area, or the wasteland to the side of the hotel. Free WiFi in reception (not sure how often then change the access code...).
Not enough sunbeds! This is a great shame since if you have paid to go there it would be nice to use the pool for a few hours at your own leisure, not to have to get sunbeds at 8am. This led to lots of people 'reserving' sunbeds, and holding on to them all day. The staff did remove towels at 10am if not in use, but this really only helped a little bit. Staff also said more sunbeds have been ordered, why not then before the season started?
New splash pool is nice, but large concrete area and no shade, looks like they might put something there later , maybe sunbeds if they had any.
Anyway instead of being trapped in the hotel, we took advantage of alykanas and alykes great beaches and other pools (free with plenty of sunbeds). Worth even paying the 5-7 euros for the ones on the beach. We found this much more peaceful than the screaming kids and repetitive entertainment at the village, which becomes annoying quickly.
Onsite snack bar poor, with little service and no menus it seems. Could be so much better. If not self catering recommend nearby bonkers bar, cosy corner or one of the beach bars instead. They are cheaper, better food, and nicer atmosphere.
Yes we did choose a Thomson family hotel, but now regret this. Would have preferred to book a smaller, quieter place to really have a restful , peaceful holiday.
Rumours are the alykanas village is going all inclusive next year, which can't be a good thing and would take important trade away from the rest of the restaurants who rely on this...
Good hotel, great if you have small children to entertain and yourself want to lie on sunbed all day.
Great restaurants in alykanas and alykes to eat, recommend Cosy Corner, Memories, Ambrosia. Lemon tree was average, though the horse carriage ride there is fun (5e each way).

9 Thank bnotcf

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2012

I have recently returned from a lovely 2 week break at the Alykanas Village with my husband and my two children who are 4, and 19 months. When we arrived after a short 30-40 min transfer we were greeted and sorted out by the nice reception staff and allocated room 172 which was a lovely clean room with 2 single beds (pushed together) a slightly smaller single bed for my son and a cot for my little girl all pre booked through thomson! ALL beds were nicely made and lovely and clean, as was the rest of the apartment.
We looked out over the quieter of the pools and onto the beach which was lovely. The cleaning lady that did our room each day was friendly and our kids loved chatting to her each time we saw her, she actually approached me by the pool one day and thanked me for the tidyness and cleanlieness of our room which she said left her little to do, I thought that was a lovely gesture on her part.
The room had a variety of cooking utensils and equipment, a good microwave and a double ring hob, I found this MORE than sufficient and suited our needs perfectly.
In the complex itself I was very pleased with the cleanlieness and facilities, the pools were great and the new kids splash park with slides was great, my son adored spending time in there with all the different little slides and water games.
I was able to access the free wifi through the code obtained from reception and this worked well, the barman in the reception bar was polite and always chatty and friendly.
There was always a Rep close to hand, the team were always happy to help and nothing was too much trouble. one rep "Sam" went out one day in her own time to source us a supermarket that stocked Soya milk for our son, who is lactose intollerent. She then rang the Reception and ensured we got the message before it got too late in our first day. Also another one of the reps "Aidee" checked the weather on his iphone for us for when we arrived home as I had mentioned it rains a lot in NI lol. little gestures make a whole lot of difference I think.
The kids club staff are EXCELLENT and my little man adored going there, he took some persuiading as he was scared at first but the staff made a huge effort to become his friend and then he was keen to go by our second week.
We had a short power failure in the resort during our stay but the maintenence staff were VERY swift in sorting that and within no time the power was retored and normality resumed.
within the complex is a great laundry room and 2 bars, thomson reps provide nightly entertainment in the "venue bar" and there is a quieter bar upstairs on the ground floor.
The lady who worked in the Mini Market was lovely and always very helpful, the range of foods and drinks there are SLIGHTLY more pricey than elsewhere but are great and handy for if u need a few essentials!
The resort itself is beautiful, the apartment complex located on the main beach is beautiful, a short walk away either along the beach or along the river is Alykes, the beach here is wider and has less seaweed and our family loved our days spent here.
A few people took a dislike to the dogs within the complex but to be honest They didnt bother us at all, they are quiet and provide no hassle more than laying a few metres away while u may be eating in the hope of the odd scrap, but this was the most they provided by way of nuicance.
There were the odd few towels on sunbeds early but isnt this true of every resort or destination??? not much of a hassle really as we didnt visit the pool untill the afternoon on most days and there were always beds available by then.
All in all I would visit the Alykanas Village again and again and again!!!! It was a fantastic holiday and we cant wait to return next year! (or possibly later this yr if we can arrange).

a little P.S.
Make sure you visit the Trainaki tour during the day from outside Jammin Bar at 10.45 am each day, and DEFINATELY do their greek night it was the experience that truely made our holiday! and SUCH great value for money! Spiros and his staff are truely wonderful and will be a talking point in our family for a long time to come! both my kids bought bears and named them after him lol.
ALSO the Lemon tree restaurant is amazing, horse and carriages can be got from the end of the driveway to Alykanas Village and they cost 5euros to take you to the restaurant!

a WONDERFUL resort and a GREAT Family complex run by thomson!!! I find it hard to find faults x

Room Tip: Room 172 looks over the sea and Quiet pool, lovely and peaceful and a beautiful view! our cleaner on...
5 Thank Nikki B
liverpool
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I have just returned from a weeks stay at the alykanas village and had a great time.
The place is just ideal for familys as there is a lot for them to do. There is a fab kids club where they can spend time or one of the three pools to choose from or a recently opened on site water park which was just fab i couldnt get the kids away from it!!
Rooms were clean and spacious and pool area was also looked after. Thomson reps were great very helpful as we lost a mobile which she helped to relocate (Thanks becky)
The resort had various places to eat and drink but i should single out a few that i really enjoyed which was the memories and apollo tavenas, bars- bonkers and dilemmas great with small play area for kids
We went on the horse and cart to lemon tree taverna, kids wanted to go on the horse cost of ten euros but i thought the food was very poor there there is better places to eat but the novelty of the thing the kids enjoyed.
overall a great place to stay the negatives were the beds sun loungers were more comfy and the stray dogs
everywhere, Holidaymakers feeding them on sun loungers
would return in future

1 Thank Wiggers48
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Managed to get a week at the Alykanas Village, including flights for £250 each. May 20th to 27th.We were not expecting much but we ended up being impressed by the place. Rooms were basic but clean and nice. We didn't have a cooker, just a microwave and 1 and a half electric rings, so I didn't feel able to cook! This wasn't a problem because we ate out most of the time and there are plenty of restaurants to choose from in Alykanas and Alikes. We paid 25 euro for a room safe which was very expensive but I suppose necessary.

Thomson reps were very good and friendly. The transfer from the airport was excellent and check in was quick ad easy.

The room we had was 511 and in the first block from reception. If you want a quieter time at night I suggest you ask for a block nearer the beach. The music at night from the reception bar area and the entertainment went on till midnight. The beds are agony. We had a nice balcony that got the sun in the morning and we were delighted to see all the nests that the swallows had built on most people's balconys. I appreciate that this would not be to everyone's taste but watching them flying in to their nests that have taken weeks to build, to feed their chicks was lovely. However shame on the guy from room 572 opposite us. He decided to stuff a plastic bag into his nest where chicks had just hatched the day before. The mother bird was frantic to feed her baby and was desperately pecking at the bag to get in. We complained both to the reps and reception. I have to say the reps were good about it but the girl in reception was not. She was surly, rude and not in the slightest bit interested. She proved this by doing nothing about it for a whole day, even though we reminded her 3 times.The next day she sent the maid out who promply took a broom to the nest, destroyed it and probably killed the chick if it was still alive. It beggars belief. The reps were shocked by this, as were we. However the ladies in reception could not give a monkey's and looked very pleased with themselves when I complained. Horrible women. What happened to protected species?

Sun beds .... At the welcome meeting the Thomson reps plead with the all british clients not to reserve sun beds by putting towels down early in the morning. This pleading was totally ignored every day. I don't know why the cleaners didn't remove them. The horrible women in reception could have asked them to be removed with a broom. Be aware ... the dogs that roam freely around the place are lovely, cute and friendly but they they are itchy all the time!!! Every morning we laughed at them climbing onto the beds and snuggling into people's towels. One little pup had hardly any fur and although vets do check out some of the dogs and put collars on the healthy ones, this little pup has some skin complaint and did not have a collar. So if you put your towel down I suggest you stay with it if you don't want a dog lying on it. They are good dogs and we saw kids carrying them around and stroking them to sleep. They do not bother people and if you don't want them around you just wave your hand at them and they leave. They do need more sunbeds here even though there are already loads, it's a big place ith 3 lovely pools. If you want quiet go to the pool by the beach, that way you are away from the kiddies entertainment.

One more gripe .... There was a family in no 521, the room above us. They had 3 children. Every morning and every night we thought they were coming through our ceiling. The were hauling furntiure around on the tiled floors. Wenick-named them the Pickford's family. We hadn't a clue what they were doing but it was VERY LOUD. There was a constant thud thud of their feet, slamming of every drawer and door and kids crying. These rooms are not at all sound proof. You hear the people above using the toilet. Every sound is magnified and it would be nice if people considered the folks underneath them. I have had 3 kids and I know it's not easy on tiled floors to keep the noise down but at least I tried.

In a nut shell..... This place is ideal for families. The kids will love it. If you want a peaceful holiday or a sunbed round the pool - go somewhere else.

Room Tip: The further you are from reception the quieter it will be at night. Higher rooms will also be quiete...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Josaws
Wiltshire
Reviewed 29 May 2012

This trip was booked last minute to escape the gloomy weather in the UK and we just wanted somewhere to sleep and to feel the sun on our skin.

When we book something low cost, we don’t have great expectations; however, we were delighted with Alykanas Village.

Transfer from airport is about 40 minutes. One of us went straight to reception and the others waited for the luggage from the coach so our check in was nice and quick.

Room – very clean and large with basic kitchen, nice bathroom and adequate balcony overlooking the main pool. We did experience a few electrical problems. The toaster flashed, the trip switch had a mind of its own and the water was intermittent on occasion. It was reported to reception and an electrician was soon sorting it out.

There are about 7 dogs roaming the resort but they were no problem at all. There was a particularly scruffy white creature that may have had a skin problem but she was a real character that won over just about everyone. Another character was “Fisher”, so named because he was good at fishing!

Health and Safety
• Be careful with the sun umbrellas as several are not attached to the poles. A wind carried one umbrella out of the pole and it landed on my daughter’s sunbed. She sat up just in the nick of time. It caught her back, causing a graze, but had she not moved the metal pole may have hit her face.
• There is no life guard. I noticed a drowning child from my balcony and had to scream and shout to the families around the pool to draw attention to her. Luckily my cries were heard and a fully dressed man leapt in and recued her. She was upset but so swiftly retrieved that no real harm was done.
• Flipflops on a newly washed floor are dangerous!

The reception staff were brilliant. Getting info re the bus into Zante out of the Thomson rep was like getting blood out of a stone – maybe he was having a bad day but we avoided him from there on in and made all further enquiries at reception.

Trips – we used www.specialoffer.gr that have an office just down the road. We took the night bus into Zante and we went Turtle spotting with them. We thoroughly enjoyed both trips with their guide, Sue.

We also took the little train from the “Jammers” bar that went up into the mountains to a real Greek Village and Museum. We stopped at a Taverna for lunch and all the local wine was free. Brenda was our guide this time – it was such fun!

We were very impressed with “Ticklish Tash” – she worked tirelessly all week entertaining poolside with an unceasing smile. (Handy Andy and Iced Gem also deserving of thanks)

Lots of local restaurants to choose from but for real Greek we loved the one the train takes you to and another which I’ll give directions to as I don’t know the name. Go out of the back of the hotel to the beach and turn right and walk to the far end to the last restaurant. Food was great and there were local Greek musicians providing atmosphere.

Fabulous resort and hotel – recommended especially if you have kids (ours are grown up)

4 Thank MillieMooWiltshire
BRISTOL, ENGLAND
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I travelled to Alykanas Village with my family - a 4 year old, 2 year old and husband on the 15 - 22 June 2012, and we loved it. We were giving a beautiful room No. 173 which had 2 double bedrooms and a double balcony which overlooked the sea. The kitchen facilities were good and consisted of a microwave grill oven, a small electric cooker, kettle etc and in the bedroom a decent hair dryer was provided The 4 pools were a perfect depth for my 4 year old, ranging from .25m to .70m. The baby pool and the park were brillant and my kids loved it, although the flooring became very slippery. Talking about flooring dont let your children walk with no shoes on when they have just gotten out of the pool - my daughter did and cut her toes on the paving and we weren't the only ones. There are dogs which wonder around the hotel grounds, but they were not noisey nor did the pester us when we were there. The beach is lovely and i would recommend taking a walk to Alykes, its only about 10/15 mins away along the beach front, but you will find bigger beaches along the way and the kids will enjoy the freedom. We did 2 trips while we were there - Simply Zante and the Pirates Playaway. Simply Zante was an all day trip, and my two children enjoyed it, the best part being the boat trip to see the blue caves. The second trip was a half day which we all enjoyed but to get to the ship we spent an hour in the coach travelling thru the winding roads of Zante which caused my children to be sick and a few adults to feel woozy - dont let this deter you but just be warned! The Thompson reps were all good with the kids, esp. Becky and Adie, and the Entertainment team did a good job entertaining the hotel guests. But the star of the show for my children was Thomson The Dog. We payed the extra 30 Euros to have a late room check out and was moved to room No. 805 - directly above reception, this was no where nice as our old room but met the need (this is the only block with a lift). Food - There was there was not enough variety of food for the children - nearly all the restaurants offered pizza, pasta and burgers for the children all with chips, we ended up ordering from the adult menu for them and sharing their meal! There is only one restaurant on the beach, but the food there is good, recommend what ever is on the spit. Apollos on the high street is good also as is Cosy Corner, Vagis and the restaurant in the hotel. We took a trip to the Lemon Tree - 5 Euros there and5 back on the horse and cart, where i had the Mousakka which was cold and not very nice at all. All in all the hotel was clean, staff were friendly and the surrounding area was beautiful and clean and i would recommend anyone with children to stay at this hotel.

1 Thank 01FLAMINGO
london
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I booked a weeks holiday to the Alykanas village through the Thomson website purely because it was a good price for the star rating. The flight from Gatwick to Zante (they call it Zakynthos) took 3 hours. The coach transfer took 40 minutes. First observation-this is a families/children's resort...if screaming kids running around scraping their trunki's along the floor will irritate you then don't go here! Check in was painless and I was allocated a lovely clean room in the pretty newly refurbished resort. There was a tv (2 channels in English), microwave, fridge, kettle and all the cooking/serving utensils you need for self catering.
Staff at the resort were friendly and the Thomson holiday reps are lively and keen to please too. There are 3 swimming pools (2 were particularly favoured by the loud screaming toddlers) and a fun looking crèche/kids club. The Thomson reps did a lot to keep the young ones entertained.

Rooms were cleaned daily and the hotel was generally clean though there were a lot of dogs which frequented the hotel, even the indoor parts. Staff seemed neither to encourage or discourage this.
There were not really enough loungers for everyone but this was partly because many guests reserved them with towels all day despite signs and advice to the contrary.
On site was a mini supermarket, and there were about 4 others within 5 minutes walk. There were lots of tavernas/bars/restaurants within 5 minutes of the resort (busters recommended if you want strong cocktails). There is free wifi in the hotel lobby but you must get the code for this from reception. Otherwise there is Internet available at cost, however many of the bars in the area offer free wifi/internet.
There are frequent sellers coming into the resort selling massages, watches, bracelets, DVDs and they'll often approach you if you sunbathing (for your information the Chinese ladies do 30 min massages from 20euros and many people seemed to have/enjoy these).
There's not a lot to do in the area (without a hire car to explore). Its a quieter resort for families rather than people in their 20's. Alykes is another resort 10 minutes walk away, but apart from that you need transport. Public buses run 4 times a day (1.70euros to Zante Town) but the buses are very unreliable (many times an hour late!). There is a gym in Alykes (opposite the iris bar).
Thomson offer many trips who can also be booked with local offices in the area (latter much cheaper) but most have more confidence in the more expensive trips booked with Thomson (your choice).
This hotel was a good price and a relaxing stay. If I had children I'd consider staying again, but without them the screaming kids everywhere did get a little too much to handle.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank donna11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alykanas
Valais Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kampi
Xenos Kamara Beach
Xenos Kamara Beach
#4 of 27 in Argassi

Been to Alykanas Village Hotel? Share your experiences!