“Worth the drive!”

Grecotel Olympia Riviera Thalasso
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Kyllini
Reviewed 19 September 2013

After spending a week in the family's village, we decided to venture out and explore Greece. We headed over to Kylini and reserved several rooms at the Grecotel Riviera Resort. We took the all-inclusive package and we were not disappointed with the food. The resort is about 5 years old (+ or -) and the accommodations were beautiful. We were with several family members with children so everyone had a good time. Stayed for only several days. Kids enjoyed the pools and the water sports. The nightly entertainment was just ok, however, we basically provided our own fun just catching up with our family lives. We will look into another Grecotel Resort on our next visit to Greece.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Joan S

Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Olympia thalasso for 7 nights during August 2013. 3 families. I will start with the positive points: good location, beautiful beach, nice swimming pools, especially the infinity pool, good food (we stayed on HB basis), Friendly and proffesiobal stuff. But.....
The rooms are old, definitely not 5 stars hotel rooms. The prices in the restaurant and the pool bar are a scandal.. Exaggerated.. taking advantage on the fact that there are no alternatives around.. On the other hand the mini market prices were reasonable. The entertainment program was pathetic. Not professional or fun at all.

Last, we come to Greece to enjoy with the local culture, music, etc. But.. From some reasons there were hardly not Greek music or traditional tavernas in the resort.

There is a close small city - karoudy. 5 minutes drive from the village. Nice one. Worth a visit.

To summarize, poor value for money. Does not worth 4 hours drive from Athens..

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank YossiHaimiv
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The Grecotel Thalasso is the best resort we have experienced in Greece (our 5th visit). It is one of three Grecotels clustered together - the other two being the Mondola Rosa (a bit more exclusive) and the Village, an all inclusive family resort. The Thalasso is very tasteful and an excellent infrastucture. Fabulous pools, spa and tennis courts. The food in the main restaurant for breakfast and dinner was excellent and varied. My only complaint is that the Orange juice was a watered down sugar solution with an orange colour. Why-o-why in a country that grows oranges, do they serve such muck? The Sea Dunes restaurant serves also very good food for lunch, however, the prices are really inflated. The pool bar serving club sandwiches is a better deal. The service was friendly and efficient.
The beach is great - fine sand, very clear warm water. In the afternoon the breeze would pick up pretty consistently, so it never felt too hot despite 32-34°C temperatures.

All in all, a really great resort to be recommended.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Ossie2
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I am considering this year's summer vacation which reminded me my last summer. Therefore, I submit my review after almost a year. The fact that this is so vividly "engraved" in my mind is indicative of the superb family time we had.

I took advantage of a TUI/ airtours offer to book a Family room in this resort for a week during August high-peak season. I was trying to book directly with the hotel but I experienced several problems with the hotel’s central reservation department. They were telling me that the room type was sold out even though there was availability on their web booking site. They could not provide adequate explanation what would have happened if I had booked from their web site directly, without calling them for a verbal verification. Following my call they said that will update their web page… and indeed that happened the next day. Well, it seems that big tour operators pre-book and pre-pay rooms at bulk discounted prices and it is up to them to market them or bear the risk of not being sold. Therefore, thanks to TUI/airtours I managed to get a 40 sq.m. family room with separate bedrooms and sea view. I am sharing this info to fellow travelers as a piece of advice to achieve last minute booking in this highly popular resort.

Indeed I was offered a room as described upon my arrival to the resort. Many thanks to Dominique in front desk for his smiley and genuinely caring attitude. The palm tree in our garden in front of the room was “blocking” partially our view … not much of a hassle … so I brought that into their attention at our third day there. They promptly offered us a new room with elevated unobstructed sea-view, again with a private garden and outdoor furniture, same space and even better connecting rooms arrangement. The whole facilities complex was impeccable with several pools, sun-decks, beach volley court, sea-bikes, kindergarten with daily activities to keep the kids busy in the afternoon hours that they have had enough of swimming and play in the outstanding sandy beach. Breakfast variety, quality and quantities were simply the best I have ever tried. The same goes to the dinner events that were different every-night including thematic specialties (e.g. outdoor BBQ, Italian cuisine etc). So many highlights … but I will pick-one: the sea-food risotto. Simply a heavenly taste.

One night, we experienced a thunder-storm that transformed the whole place. The sound of the waves breaking at shore and the lightning strikes (check my picture – no photoshop), offered us one more thing to remember from this outstanding vacation in all aspects. The resort is very close to ancient Olympia archaeology site and museum. Since the London Olympics were on TV at the same period, it gave me the chance to explain to the kids the moral and the spirit of the games, during the visit to the Olympics birthplace stadium and museum. You can also visit Arkoudi village for fish-taverns offering whatever the fisherman managed to get in his nets in the morning. Or you may even walk to the adjacent other Grecotel resort to use the waterslides and electronic games room.

SPA facilities are great. Two massage treatments were included in booking and I strongly recommend to try them.

In brief: Fantastic resort, in the epicenter of many relaxing and fun activities. One of the best vacations ever in my life.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Enoikos
Reviewed 4 June 2013

+ very nice sea view from most of the rooms; spacious balcony makes the room even more bright. Sun sets right in front of the hotel's beach, so you can enjoy a wonderful view at dawn.
+ rooms are well-equipped and modern (for a greek hotel, at least) with nice bathroom (bathtub with separate shower), daily cleaned and maintained in a good condition. I'd not give it a 5 starm but a solid 4* definitely.
+ very well trained, polite staff (russian, english and german speaking).
+ nice common areas (including the pool, the restaurant with a terrace and the lobby)

Overall, the first impression is very nice. But there are minor details that require more attention from the management - because this is claimed to be a five-star resort.

- stairways and halls in the main building are shabby and dark, especially at night. A little more paintwork would help.
The above is also true of balconies - all with rust stains, paint streaks etc.
- a fabulous stretch of sandy beach is spoilt by old sunbeds and lack of infrastructure (half-broken shower, dressing rooms from early 70's).
- the restaurant is impressive, but the choice of food is limited in some ways. Although the fruits and desserts variety is rich, the main course is mostly two or three kinds of meat or fish. The breakfast also could be better in terms of variety. Don't get me wrong, I'm not so picky and there was always something to choose, but for Grecotel's price range there should certainly be a "wow" factor about it. In this case, it was just an ordinary buffet - not what you expect of luxury resort (by the way, the "luxury" neighbour Grecotel Mandola Rosa was also unimpressive).
- room service price list - well, that's the "wow" factor... The most expensive caesar salad I have ever seen in my life (even the Ritz-Carlton or Kempinski worldwide didn't charge me this much). Keep in mind, that the whole resort complex is isolated from everything and situated amidst the forest, so there is no way that you could avoid dining in the hotel. And once again, for these prices you don't receive anything extraordinary - just an average food.

Nevertheless, the beach and surrounding are astonishingly beautiful, and it helps to forget the minor negative issues. With a little more care and attention this hotel could be a really good choice in this region.

Room Tip: main building sea view is mandatory; don't go for bungalows
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Thefall
Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

A very well organized project targeting a rather wealthy family. Everything a kid would need, swimming pools, kids club, animation, parties, while parents enjoy their drink. The simple rooms are small, but everything is in place. The staff is extremely polite and helpful and very well coordinated. There is a great variety of delicious food at all meal times, many of them being cooked on the spot. Beverages, coffee and snack are always served. Events such as live music and dancing may take place. In sum, it's a very good place to spend 3-5 days, depending mostly on what you can afford.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Its a very beautiful hotel, on a unique spot and next to a wonderful beach. The rooms are large and comfortable, the food a lot, but it was clear everywhere that their stuff was overloaded with extra duties and lots of extra work. I kept seeing the same waiters night and day, running up and down!!!
The area of the pools needs to be upgrated and some spots where people kept on cutting their feet, like me, need to be fixed.
I think that for such an expensive hotel, some things need to be upgated.
Overall it was a grate experience, my kids loved it and i think we will visit it again.

Room Tip: The rooms with the sea view are the best of course, but try to get a room closer to the dining room...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank niki v
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kyllini
Grecotel Olympia Oasis & Aqua Park
Olympia Golden Beach Resort & Spa
Mandola Rosa Suites & Villas Grecotel Exclusive Resort
Grecotel Ilia Palms & Aqua Park
Aldemar Olympian Village
Almira Hotel
Almira Hotel
#1 of 1 in Arkoudi

Been to Grecotel Olympia Riviera Thalasso? Share your experiences!