“Simply Wonderful”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Troulos
London, United Kingdom
“Simply Wonderful”
Reviewed 11 September 2011

We have been coming to the Filia since 1995 and have only missed a few years which we have always regretted!! When we arrive at the Filia it always feels like we have come home!!! The apartments are simply furnished in a typical greek style but are very clean and comfortable. The view from the balcony is fantastic. There is a steep hill but there is also an easy route that is easier on the leg muscles but believe me when you reach the Filia it is so worth it!!! When you arrive you are greeted as an old friend and nothing is to much trouble. Christos and his family are just simply wonderful. Filia encourages everyone to attempt the Greek language and over the years my husband has gained a lot of confidence and ability!!!
Christos is an amazing host and goes out of his way to ensure that you have a wonderful holiday, he will take you in to Skiathos town and collect you, he will arrange for you to see the wonderful sunset at Agi Eleni beach followed by a fantastic meal, homecooked by his mum Filia, her stifado is amazing, the best! The BBQ night is not to be missed and is fantastic fun with good company,fantastic food and lots of wine!!!, as well as being great value, especially if you are there as a family. Chris will tell you about the wonderful taverna's around Skiathos and will book them for you often getting the best seats in the house!!!
Yianni (Chris's dad) enjoys sharing his animals, his wonderful figs and apricots with you, nothing is ever too much trouble at the Filia. The only bad thing about the Filia is you have to leave!!
See you next year Chris!!!

3 Thank debandrobheslin

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Greek first
Enfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Just spent two wonderful weeks at the filia apartments in Troulos its our 4th stay here and had the most relaxing time. Christos could not do enough for you and made our stay very enjoyable. The Barbecue night is not to be missed you get to meet all the guests and have a great evening the food was execellent and the dancing was great fun (Christos said my dancing was unique) ?.There is a steep hill, however there is also an alternative route which is much easier on the legs.Out and about there are plenty of Taverenas nearby our favourite was Salt & Pepper.The bus service is very reliable approx every 20 mins to Skiathos town. Get some practise in on the pool table Christos cos i'm coming back !!
Alan & Lynne

Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We stayed at the filia for a week from august the 24th and had a lovely little holiday thankyou. Staying as a couple we were looking for a peaceful relaxing break and the filia was perfect for this. The rooms are quite basic but functional and with a lovely balcony view. The pool and bar area are excellent with good service and food which was also good value. One of the highlights of our trip was the greek night with a wonderful spread of food and plenty of dancing with everyone getting involved and enjoying the night...not to be missed !!!!. The location is up a hill which is relatively steep, there is an easier route which will be pointed out and christos is very generous giving lifts to people who need them. Having youngish legs we were fine with the walking. Other points i can think of are the bus service is very good and frequent, get off at bus stop 12 and take the small waterboat to skiathos town for 3 euros each and eat at the salt and pepper taverna in troulos. Thankyou for our stay and if we come back to skiathos we will be returning to the filia from Darren and Rebeca

Room Tip: I would recommend getting the air-conditioning
1 Thank DarrenJonesUK
Dorking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We stayed for two weeks and had a fantastic family holiday. Christos could not have been more helpful. If you wanted to go into town or to a particular beach Christos would take you saving the bus ride which in peak season can be crowded. Lovely pool area and not too crowded, bar and food available by the pool to a very good standard, his mum's moussaka is probably the best on the island. The beach is only a short walk away, ten minutes most and there is always a nice breeze up at the pool so it doesn't get too hot. Greek night with the family is a must and is suitable for all ages. Most people we spoke to had been at least twice some four or five times and we would certainly go back ourselves. Beautiful island and lovely people.

1 Thank Keith R
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2011

As a frequent returner to Skiathos I have always had complete confidence in the Island I choose to stay in but never before had the confidence in the accommodation. Finally I can now say I have found that in Filia Studio's and I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Christos and his family have created the perfect Greek atmosphere and help you feel as comfortable as possible on their beautiful island. Usually shying away from group trips and BBQ's that you may find on package holidays, I found myself interested in Christo's BBQ and this was by far the best decision. From that point on I felt completely welcomed. I left not only feeling like I had managed to have the best holiday but that I had made true friends.

Filia itself is up a small hill that leads to beautiful views which the apartments overlook. Surrounded by fruit plants and flowers the walk up to the apartments is lovely. The pool is a good size and, unlike most places, I never struggled to get a sunbed. It also has a swirl tub and the bar is next to it, a perfect situation for a lazy day with a Mythos and a quick easy (and yummy) lunch. All the food you can buy at Filia is homemade and well worth a try. All drinks and food is affordable. There are plenty of supermarkets around and you are in walking distance of Troulos Beach and Christos price matches the water to save you carrying it up the hill.

The rooms all have balconies that overlook Troulos. They are carefully designed to give you privacy. Our room had three beds, plenty of wardrope space, two mirrors, a fridge, stove and small oven, crookery, sink and a good powerful shower, and clean bathroom, a safe and aircon. They are cleaned daily and let the sun in all through the day, however there are shutters in case you want to stop the room heating up when your out. And if there was anything you felt you needed, that you didn't have already, all you need do is ask and Christos will supply.

Christos and his family not only provide great accommodation but they really do give you everything they can to create a perfect holiday. Always smiling nothing is too much for them. Christos will take you to quieter beaches away from the crowds (Agia Leni), or drive you to town (rather than the busy hot buses), he might even drive you to the clubs, or to go and see the planes land during his trips to the airport, or to see the sunset on the beach. Every restaurant they suggested was of excellent quality and value. If you need to hire a boat, or go on some water sports or find a beach away from the tourists, he know's where to go. And if you are very lucky you might happen to be on the beach when his brother's get the jet ski out! You really couldn't find better tourist information!! And I have been going to Skiathos for 10 years so this really does say something.

All in all this was the perfect holiday I could not fault. If you have never been to Skiathos you will not be disappointed and will definitely return and if you are considering staying at Filia you couldn't make a better choice.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2011

just returned from our 5th trip to Skiathos and to the Filia studios I dont really know how to write this review because I am writing about my friends and if you stay at the Filia you will come home with the same feeling. Christos will help you with anything you need but much more importantly he will laugh and joke with you and make you feel welcome. this is true of the whole family Yianni ( Chris's dad ) will try and succeed to temp you with his home made cheese fruit and vegtables, Fillia ( Chris's mum ) is a fabulous cook PLEASE try her lamb kleftico and is a very persistant teacher of the Greek language she got me hooked years ago :-) Chris also has three brothers Georgos, Margaritis and Takis and while their english may not be as good as Chris the welcome and friendship are just the same Chris's Aunty is also there with a friendly smile and warm welcome. The rooms at the Filia are basic but clean well equipped and with views to die for ,The pool area is beautiful clean and a great way to spend a relaxing day and when you get hungry Filia will cook something wonderful for you . The hill is steep but if I can do it anyone can and if like me you like the easy life just go round the back it only takes a couple of minutes more and is easier on the legs. Chris will run you into town for the same amount as the bus and gives free rides to Agia Eleni where the family have sun beds it is one of the most beautiful beaches on the island with a lovely taverna try the club sandwiches. There is a beach for everyone on skiathos and if you fancy a boat trip try Tsougria the little island in the bay only 10 euros return and worth every cent. for eating out you are spoilt for choice try salt and pepper on the main road its new and worth all the great reviws I read there is also Varellis,Kalivi,Ambrosia Nectar ,Ratatouille and thats just in troulos in fact my daughter and I ran out of nights trying to get round them all, there is also the sunset evening organised by Chris he takes you to Agia Eleni to watch the sunset then its back up to the Filia for more of Filias homecooked food and getting to know your fellow guests. Do not miss BBQ night at the Filia its an amazing night filled with food fun laughter and dancing Filia dances as well as she cooks and please join in you will have so much fun . Ive been coming here since my daughter was 10 she is 17 now and still enjoying herself my parents are regular visitors and they have friends who are in their 70s this place offers something for all ages kids ,teenagers and adults of all ages no-one feels left out we got back yesterday and are already saving for our next trip take my advice go book to stay at the Filia and have a wondeful holiday tell Chris I said hi :-)

6 Thank jeanette t
London
Reviewed 24 August 2011

We’ve just returned from a 2 weeks stay at this wonderful spot and I can only echo the good things which everyone has said about the Filia Studios. From the moment we arrived, Christos and his team went out of their way to make us feel welcome and nothing was too much trouble.

The rooms are simple but clean with plentiful hot water and a decent shower. The kitchenette area was equipped with a decent fridge, kettle, 2 electric rings and all we needed except I’d recommend taking a tea towel with you as this is not provided.

We had room 18 on the side of the building facing the pool and garden. Our balcony was sunny first thing in the morning and shaded later in the day which suited us down to the ground. The whole place is really peaceful except for the chirping of the crickets and the occasional growl from Arni the ram who lived in the lower part of the gardens. I think 90% of the clientele were British and a really nice mix of people.

I was pleasantly surprised to find free wifi worked not only around the pool area but in our room as well. Having taken my laptop it was reassuring to be able to pick up local radio at home via the internet and keep up to date on the riot situation back home. We used the in room safe which cost 1 euro per day. The room had ample plug sockets so recharging mobiles, ipod etc was no problem.

I recommend taking anti mozzie plug in and spray as biting insects seem to be endemic to Troulos. It’s a very green island so lots of insect life around.

We spent most of our holiday relaxing around the beautifully kept pool and garden (always plenty of beds and parasols), but if you prefer beaches there are loads to choose from. Most days we had a snack for lunch from the pool bar and these proved to be excellent value and quality. A large bottle of Mythos was only 2.50 euros and huge sandwiches about 3 euros. (Local supermarket prices are horrendous so there’s little point in doing much “self catering”). We did do our own thing for breakfast each day though. I took muesli, teabags and coffee from home which proved a wise move.

We’re not usually “joiners in” but we enjoyed the Sunday barbecue. The food was excellent and with carafes of wine priced at 6euros per litre Christos and Filia ensured that we all got to know each other better. No one is forced to join in the dancing but everybody did and we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Later in the first week Christos took us across in his mini bus (at no charge) to watch the sunset at Aghia Eleni beach and we all came back to sit down to the best Lamb Kleftiko I have ever eaten and another pleasant evening around the pool.

The less steep hill up to the Filia is not as bad as we had expected. My friend who is 74 and uses a walking stick, managed it with no real difficulty. All the restaurants we visited for dinner were reasonably priced and we particularly enjoyed Ratatouille and Taverna Kalivi.

We booked a “Sporades Lazy Days” boat trip to Skopelos and Tsougria which was very “Mama Mia” orientated but was reasonable value at 45 euros each including lunch and a coach pick up/return from just down the road.

All in all we had a great holiday at The Filia Studios. Virtually everyone we spoke to was either a returning guest or intended to come again next year which is testimony to all the hard work the family have put into making the it such a nice place to stay. Keep up the good work Christos!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank PeterTLondon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troulos
Skiathos Palace Hotel
Paradise Hotel
Paradise Hotel
#1 of 1 in Katsarou
Kassandra Bay Resort & SPA

Been to Filia Studios & Apartments? Share your experiences!