“Great potential but let down by poor service , would not return”

Stella Palace Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Analipsi
“Great potential but let down by poor service , would not return”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 weeks at the end of June with my partner, 9 year old daughter & 23 month old son ! Upon arrival I was very impressed with the stunning pools & the well maintained surrounding gardens!

On the 4th day of our stay I was dissatisfied with our room ( 635) so we changed firstly because we were opposite a farm with a barking dog all night long & secondly we were next to a couple who loved to argue until 3am, this was not my idea of relaxation on a family holiday.

We moved to room 533, the modern
room backed onto a beautiful terrace which led to the pool my son loved all the grass, he played daily. However it was located next to the pool bar that played music until 2am which again I thought was very inconsiderate as it is a family hotel ( take ear plugs I wish I had them )!

So yes this hotel does have stunning pools and beautiful surroundings, however we had a couple of issues with this hotel that we've never encountered abroad before...

The reception staff have NO customer service skills & are very very rude! Not only did they refuse to cash my travellers cheques ( very odd) but when they did they charged 3% but the next day charged 6%?How can they justify this they couldn't !!! Late checkout we were told was €40 on the day we were leaving we were charged €50! Inconsistent with charges & very rude mannerism let this hotel down !

The hotel animation team seemed to ignore British people , apart from Zulu he was friendly ! After watching a couple of vulgar & inappropriate shows in the amphitheatre we never watched the hotel entertainment again ! Their language & dress was not professional at all!

On the other hand , the Thomas cook kids club was fantastic my daughter loved it & took part in all payable parties ! Also Lloyd the rep is very friendly & worked hard.

The food was not brilliant , we resorted to buying our own cereal & eating breakfast in our room as it seemed pointless going to breakfast for cold beans. The evening meals were not appetising at all , even after fighting your way through to the food counters! Yes they make fresh pizza which is delicious but there's only so much pizza 1 can eat ! After my partner became ill & another friend of ours from home who was also in the hotel at the same time as us , became ill, we were quickly put off the food! The ham / cheese rolls at the pool bar are great if you like dead flies on them too , I shall upload photo of this ! Not impressed with the food at all! However we did enjoy the free visit to the Asian restaurant the food was better & you could relax & eat & the piano player was brilliant !

The maid service was as expected although I do feel they were rushed off there feet therefore could not do a thorough job , I resorted to cleaning the bath & toilet myself as it didn't get done & we went 2 days with hand towels only as there was a problem with the large ???

Despite these issues me & my family tried our best to enjoy our stay in crete! We ventured out the hotel on many occasions , we visited star beach , the aquarium that I highly recommend , aqua city & we went on the glass bottom boat ! The sun set from the hotel beach at night is amazing! It's a crying shame that poor receptionists operate this hotel & the food needs to be of a better quality & the hotel animation team need to be more professional ( like Thomas cooks animation team)! As if it wasn't for this for us it would've been brilliant but there's only so much arrogance a person who had paid a lot of money to stay here can put up with .

To finish on a positive, the photographer Niko is very friendly & we purchased many beautiful family photos from him & George who worked on the restaurant made my son smile daily ! So not all choose to be rude in this hotel but the ones that do let it down massively for this reason I would not return with my family !!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank MandyJi
StellaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Stella Palace Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry we haven't met your expectations during your stay. We will read your comments carefully and try to ameliorate our services as we always strive to become better. We hope to have another chance in the future to accommodate you again and offer you a better experience from Stella Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

Our stay was 19th june - 3rd july. We travelled as two couples, age range 27-36, staying in two separate rooms no.521 near main restaurant and no.643 near mini golf, in middle of complex. We did ask for two neighbouring rooms but hotel was fully booked. Rooms were perfectly adequate, beds on the firm side, our bathrooms both had shower head bracket unlike some other reviews saying there's did not....but large gap between screen and top of bath so water did go on floor, but this is being picky!!

Grounds are in very good condition, with pathways being washed down and swept every day by the friendly staff.

Say hi to Kostas one of the day time bar staff at the swim up pool bar, very friendly guy and ask Mateus for 'no name shot' in the evening (same bar) if you fancy something with a kick!!!

Loads of activities for people with children throughout the day and evening, Laura and Vee from the family world team are a credit to the hotel.....daily quiz was fun. Animation team are none stop, (bit annoying at times) organising games, activities, tombola and evening entertainment.....the fire show in pool was very good where guests are invited to take part.

Food couldn't be faulted with lots to choose from at all meals, to much to list, with themed evening meals 5 times a week as well as offering all the usual choices. Food would only become repetitive if you are a fussy eater. Wine was not the best.....and rose seemed to be red/white mix!!
Beers are only served in small plastic cups when poolside and small glasses if at a table.....no pints available.......bit of a let down, would prob need three to make a pint! Only local spirits etc in the all-inc package, which is the norm in most places.
Tea/coffee, ice cream, cakes and rolls available at both pool bars throughout the day.

Private beach is small and overcrowded, but other beaches left and right offer more space.

Check out is a 12noon, we had a late flight so wanted to booked a late check out but hotel was fully booked so couldn't....but we were given access to another room 568 was showering and changing.....the bathroom in this room was more of a wetroom with no shower curtain or screen and made us wonder if they are in process of updating further rooms to the standard of the ones we had.

Analipsi is a quiet resort, but does have a selection of cafe/bars and tavernas within a 15 min walk.

perfect relaxing holiday, thanks to all the hotel staff!! Would highly recommend....

Room Tip: No free wifi from hotel is a let down....but in room 643 (back terrace) managed to pick up a signal...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Andrew K
StellaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Stella Palace Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 July 2013
Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay at Stella Palace and really hope to accommodate you again very soon!
belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

Stayed here from the 18th June till the 2nd July . What can I say this place is amazing for adults and kids. I stayed here with my mum , dad , me my 2 sons aged 4 and 7and my brother. From start to finish I could not fault this place.

Dining staff are so friendly can't do enough for you and very good with the kids especially Daniel really good with my two boys. Food great everything freshly made plenty of choice would recommend the Asian restaurant .

Rooms very clean modern great air con in are rooms but remember if u take key out off wall it goes off as it has to be in wall for electric to work. Rooms cleaned every day .

My kids absolutely loved kids club there a great team especially liam the lion , liam and Sophie kids loved them went kids club everyday and loved all the parties especially the chocolate party but beware they come out covered in chocolate.

Family world girls always round the pool getting kids involved with pool games etc two lovely girls Vee and Laura

Bar staff at second pool bar are the best so efficient so friendly and good with kids . Can't remember the two guys names but they were great with kids also Ada was brilliant with kids my 4 yr old loved her .

Lloyd the Thomas cook rep was really helpfull and very friendly .

All in all we had a fantastic time. I would recommend this place to everybody we liked it so much we r already looking into going bk next yr

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank mumrocksBelfast
Thank you for your nice comments.We are looking forward in seeing you again in our hotel
Drumcondra, Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

I stayed at this hotel from June 21-29 2013 and my feelings about this place are varied, as I felt that some of the services were not up to scratch (the air con in particular), while others (such as the food and entertainment) were excellent.

I booked an All-Inclusive 7 night stay, in a standard double room after reading great reviews on Trip Advisor and other hotel review sites. The hotel was also recommended to me by my travel agent here in Dublin.

Personally, decent air conditioning is an absolute MUST when I am travelling to hotter climates, as I just don't do well in prolonged periods of hot weather. I asked our travel agent if the air con system in Stella Palace was of good quality, as I had had bad experiences in previous hotels, and I was assured that it was of a high standard.

On arrival to the hotel, our room was not ready and we were asked to go to the Main Restaurant for lunch until the room was made up for us. This didn't bother us, we were already hungry and were amazed at the size and quality of the buffet lunch! Afterwards, we returned to Reception and we were brought by golf buggy to our room very quickly. However, as soon as we got into the room, it was apparent to myself and my partner, that the room was quite hot.

The rest of the room was perfect -- the veranda area was large and we had a lovely view onto the pool area, the bathroom was very clean, well-equipped and the living/sleeping area had 2 large wardrobes with lots of space and our beds were quite comfortable.

We were unsure if we were using the air conditioning correctly on the first night, and so my partner called reception and a Maintenance worker was sent to adjust the air con for us and show us how to operate it correctly. We mentioned to him and Reception that we found it quite hot, and he assured us that within 20 minutes, the air con would kick in and we would find the room much more bearable. We left the room and returned around 2 hours later -- but the room was just as hot and uncomfortable as we had left it earlier that evening.

We contacted Reception on our second day again regarding the air conditioning, and although we were going out for the day, we were assured someone from Maintenance would be sent while we were out -- however, again, when we arrived back the room was the same -- and my partner contacted them a 3rd time that same day. We waited 20 minutes for the Maintenance worker to arrive, but no one arrived, and we rang Reception again to tell them no one had arrived yet and that we needed to leave our room so we wouldn't miss dinner, and we left.

That same night, the room was as bad as ever, and we slept with the porch door open. The air con read 18c for the whole holiday, but on the actual real-time room stats, it read 26c. It was actually cooler sitting outside than it was in the room. I noted whilst sitting out on the veranda, that some other guests seemed to also leave their porch doors open at night, and began to think that perhaps the quality of the air con system was the same throughout the hotel and that it wasn't just our room.

We spotted our Rep the following day in Reception, and he made a point of saying it to the Receptionist on Duty. We got the same story again and at this point we were starting to get browned off -- basically they would send another Maintenance worker, but they couldn't tell us whether it was a problem with the room itself or if it was the air con system.

After this point, the room remained the same for the rest of our holiday i.e. unbearably hot and we didn't complain anymore as we felt that we were just fobbed off by the hotel and not taken seriously. I felt they should have offered us a change of room, but they didn't. Subsequently, after we checked out, we asked to use the hotels complimentary shower service before going to the airport. We booked a few hours in advance, and were told that for 2 adults, we had 30 mins to shower, change and get dressed/dry hair etc. We explained to the Receptionist that this was very little time for 2 people in our opinion and she just replied "You have til 8 o'clock". When we entered the spare room to use the shower, the difference in the air con was unbelievable to our room. It was so much cooler and was obviously working as it should have been for us in our room.

We were dissatisfied with the service of Reception regarding the air con, use of the complimentary shower and also the concierge service. We had to check out at 12 noon and we called Reception at 11.20 to ask for our bags to be collected (we couldn't get down the stairs with 4 bags and there was no lift). We were told the concierge would be with us within 15 minutes. After 20 minutes we rang Reception and asked again, and we were told we would be collected in 5 minutes. We ended up being left for 50 minutes waiting for the concierge, despite the fact we told Reception we physically couldn't get down the stairs with the bags. My partner rang Reception a 3rd time and in the end we carried the bags ourselves to Reception.

These 3 issues -- the air con in particular -- really put me off going back to this hotel again. I think that although for natives these temperatures might be the norm, they need to realise that for people not used to the heat, its unbearable. They should invest in quality air conditioning systems and expect people to just put up with it if the air con doesn't work. We found that the hotel was very much geared towards Russian guests, of which there were very, very many, who were mainly quite rude and unfriendly, and as a non-Russian, we felt a bit like "outsiders" at times.

We couldn't fault the Main restaurant, the pool or the entertainment - it really was fantastic. The buffets for breakfast, lunch and dinner were huge, had plenty of variety and the quality of the food was really very good. Every evening there was a Cretan food corner, as well as a Kiddies Corner, and themed evenings such as Italian Night. There were also plenty of fresh fruits, pastries, salads and breads. The desserts were to die for and there were so many of them at all 3 meal times!! The staff in the restaurant were outstanding and worked very hard to keep customers satisfied and bring you anything you required during your meal.

Although we didn't avail of the children's entertainment, I can easily see why families love this place -- there are at least 2 Kiddies clubs if not more, a dedicated kiddies pirate pool as well as the 2 main pools -- and the staff in charge of the kiddies entertainment seemed to constantly be full of zest and energy.

I loved the private beach and thought it was so much more relaxing than the usual scramble for sun loungers and parasols, of which there was an abundance! The views from the beach were beautiful and the water was so clean and clear. The same goes for the pool -- there were plenty of sun loungers and parasols, it was never overly full and there were also aquagym classes held daily in the pool. You could also get unlimited tea/coffee, sandwiches, ice cream and drinks at the bar as part of the all inclusive package.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay for the most part, but we probably wouldn't return because of the air con and the attitude of the Reception staff.

I would recommend this hotel to families but I would insist on change of room if the air con wasn't up to scratch, as there are clearly rooms in this hotel where the air con works as it should.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Katie O
Thank you for your feedback.We will study your comments and do our best to ameliorate our services.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

Very good hotel with children. All employees are very friendly and helpful. Hotel is clean and with children lot of possibilities to swim in pools and just relax. Lot of children eating chairs in restaurant. Hotel beach is sandy and nice to swim. If you want to go holiday with children (we were with 1,5 and 6 years) and just relax, this is the best hotel to go. Very close to airport.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Stensan
Thank you very much for your feedback. We are very happy you had a wonderful time at Stella Palace and enjoyed our facilities and services. We really hope to see you again next year!
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

We arrived at the Stella Palace on Tue 11th June,there was myself, my husband our two children age 4 and 6 and my parents. Our plane was delayed so we arrived about 1 am however the hotel had food on for late arrivals which i thought was excellent esp after a delay.

Rooms were fantastic, large, modern and clean and we did have a hook on the wall for the shower. Had to report the shower though as it was cold however a few of the guests on our block had the same problem, this was fixed within a few hours no complaints there. Maid service very good room was sparkling and she even put the kids teddies neatly on the pillows (which my kids loved).

The hotel is stunning grounds are well kept and the bars, snack areas very clean, staff work very hard, bar staff and restaurant staff and they are all lovely and friendly. Food was excellent lots of fresh food and a kids section every evening, as with most foreign food it dosn't taste like ours back home but that's why you go on holiday to try a new culture! Only minor complaint would be the toaster in a morning you have to wait ages for it and toast has to go through twice before its done also sometimes the meat can be a bit gristly but again these are minor things that really didn't bother us too much. The two a la carte restaurants were fantastic no complaints! Drinks were fine as were the snacks and ice cream for the kids.

The area surrounding the hotel is stunning however its around 12 euros each way in a taxi to the more commercial areas like Hersonnisos and Malia, there is very little in Analipsi but there are a few shops with some lovely items so worth a look. Trips are very expensive so if you plan to get out and about do your research. Hotel shop is fairly priced don't worry about going into town and finding things cheaper. Be wary of Taxi drivers i asked one to take us to Hersonissos and he took us to Heraklion the capital, i questioned him half way there and he said the hotel had told him Heraklion it cost us 60 euros all round to get there and back i think he knew what he was doing so make sure you repeat where you want to go and agree a price first.

Lloyd the Thomas Cook rep was fantastic really chatty always full of advice about the local area and he genuinely enjoyed talking to you and didn't rush to finish a conversation, one of the best reps we have had. My kids LOVED the kids club! They went at least once a day mainly in the afternoon to get them out of the sun. My kids loved the themed parties and they are well worth the little bit extra only 6 euros the choc party is 12 euros but the kids come out covered in chocolate and they loved it! The team were fantastic cant remember all the names but Little Liam even came over and said hello to the kids on his night off.

The family world girls Laura and Vee were FANTASTIC! Had us doing the quiz at 3 every day and they even manged to get me doing water aerobics. The girls work hard and spend alot of time chatting to holiday makers again with genuine care. The hotels own animation team get a big thumbs up too the evening entertainment was good and there are alot of multi-lingual members of the team. The evening entertainment is often repeated in 4 languages can get a bit tedious.

Heraklion airport is awful no air con and flights rarely leave on time also they change the departure gates without notice so keep an eye on the screens! Pure chaos! Also i would advise pool shoes for kids as there are some loose tiles in the bottom of the pool and the pool area is slippy.

The only downside to our holiday was the number of arrogant and plain rude people at the hotel from other countries, yes there's a language barrier but a sorry wouldn't go a miss if you shoulder barge me at the bar!

Overall a fantastic hotel with amazing facilities, the Stella Staff were fantastic as were the Thomas Cook team and they really made our holiday thanks guys! :)

Room Tip: Rooms on ground floor are terraces however there is no barrier to stop your kids from running off ar...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your feedback. We are happy you enjoyed your stay at Stella palace Hotel and really hope to accommodate you again very soon.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

We went from 10th may till 21st May 2013. There was myself, husband and 2 children aged 3 and 11 months.
It's a short coach journey from the airport. About 30-40 mins max. We got to the hotel and we checked in and a golf buggy took my husband and the bags to the room while i waited for him in the lobby as there was some food laid on for us all. Breads, cheese, ham, fruit etc. By time we got to bed it was 0040 in the morning. We didn't have a cot bed in the room and my plonker of a husband forgot to look when he dropped the bags of, so we called the lobby the bloke with the keys had gone home. There answer was you will have to put the baby in bed with you for tonight...in bed with a hot, over tired 11 months old was a pain in the bum, I can tell you that much!
Anyway was we woke for breakfast and looked out on to the patio (we had a ground floor) as a beautiful view of the pool and lots of free sun loungers. We made our way to breakfast and noticed they have a mini golf, giant chess, darts board which everyone can use, but you must leave a deposit for the tennis rackets and golf clubs.
Breakfast was great, u could have a fry up everyday if you so wished, but they have pancakes, mini Greek doughnuts, waffles, toast, yoghurts, fresh fruits, cereals, breads, hams, cheese, Greek honey, jams, fruit juice, tea, coffee. If you try something new everyday you won't get bored!
Lunch. Kebab (fresh chicken or pork) none of the strips stuff. Breads, cheese, hams, 7-10 different salads. Greek honey and yogurt was a hit for us!!
Tea. Cretean specials (rabbit casserole, lamb stew etc) then they had on another hotplate chips, vegetables, chickens, fish, pie, and these would be in different sauces each night.
Puddings. You have to try all the puddings, all very yummy!!!
Also on an evening they serve wine with food.
There also had 4 themed nights while we were there....fish, Greek, Italian, Asian. All every beautiful!!
They have ice creams and cakes and made up sandwiches by the pool to help yourself too. As well as coffee and tea.
GET THERE EARLY IF YOU NEED A HIGH CHAIR. AS THERES NOT MANY.

The pirate pool looks fantastic on the pictures but it's a little dated, my 3 year old only played on it twice out the time we were there, he liked the big pool With the swim up bar.
By the pool side everyday the have aqua gym, which you can take part in free of charge. There is also yoga which u can take part in. These are run by the other holiday company but everyone can take part. They also do the aqua gym in the sea too.

Kids play scheme.
My son went with the thompsons club only 3 times out of the whole holiday and loved it, they did and arts and craft, football and tennis. Each session is listed on a wall so you can pick and choose which ones they want to attend. If they wanted to they can go for 6 hours a day. And its FREE! The only thing you pay for is the party's, my son didn't want to do them.

The beach is beautiful and clear as can be and also very clean. Best to go in the afternoon when it's warmer. Loads of sun loungers free with umbrellas and it's the hotels private beach so loads free.

The one thing we didn't realise was that it was a sister hotel with stella hotel (I think that's what it was called) loads of international people. Who are very very rude. But they didn't spoil our holiday.
The thompson rep was fab! There's not a lot in analipsi itself. But your best off doing the village ramble the day after you get there. It's free and you get to try the local fire water, and food. Also get to know a bit of history on village. We enjoyed it.

Evening entertainment was good, and the kids disco was good, I come away singing a French and German song I have no idea what it's about.

On the day of departure, book in the shower room. We did and was fantastic to have a shower before we left for the flight, it's just a normal room and if you rent out the towels there, exchange them in the morning and and then you have fresh towels to shower with then hand them in once you have finished. We departed at 7pm from the hotel which is the time tea starts so we were all staving by time we got the airport so I'd defo go to the village and get some fruit or some snacks for the wait.

Over all we had a fantastic time there and would go back.

Room Tip: All rooms have a pool view
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Emma S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Analipsi
Creta Maris Beach Resort
Laguna Resort and Spa
Laguna Resort and Spa
#1 of 7 in Anissaras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,879 reviews

Been to Stella Palace Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!