“Perfectly relaxing”

Corfu Holiday Palace
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kanoni
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

After reading ALL of the negative reviews; as one does on this site, I was more than a little apprehensive about coming to this hotel for a family holiday. However, I'd already booked it, so Ooops too late now!
However, I have to say to those people who slagged it off - I'm sorry, but I don't really know what your problem is.
For someone who travels a lot with work, I am used to staying in some glorious places and some that are not so much.
The CHP is a little dated and tbh honest, I think that is part if the charm. The wifi sucks, but not having access to my work email is a blessing, as I can spend time relaxing and enjoying time with my family for once, without constantly checking my inbox.
The low flying planes are not bothersome at all if you stay on the 'seaside' part if the hotel and in fact, my 2yr old son loves watching them come in to land.
We are staying in a Ionian suite with a private pool and this is a great way to finish off the day after spending the rest of the day at the private beach with its crystal clear sea. Yes, you have to pay for beds and a shade, but where don't you nowadays?
The food is fine. It's not Michelin starred, but good enough considering the cost.
Some people have moaned about the batman George, but I have found him to be polite and efficient, although the process for ordering drinks is a bit bizarre, with one girl permanently attached to a computer to print off the receipts instead of using her to pour them, which would have sped up the service, but this is Greece and if you come with an open mind and a relaxed attitude (which btw I am not known for) you will have a good time.
In fact i am writing this while still here, drinking a beer served by George listening to "now that's what I call music 1985" lol, which is kind of the theme of the place.
If you don't want the above then don't come. If you come after reading this, then don't moan about it. It's perfectly relaxing.
Kalispera.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank TrickyDickyT
Write a ReviewReviews (1,585)

Reviewed 27 August 2014

My husband booked our trip to Corfu as a surprise Honeymoon as a gift for me on our wedding day, this was so exciting and we were really really looking forward to our trip. On arriving at the hotel after our travels began at 3am we were made to wait in the foyer for our room for an hour with no explanation as to why or even an offer of a glass of water or how long the wait would be. We had been cheeky and asked for an upgrade as it was out honeymoon which the hotel has said we could have from Thursday so we didn't want to moan about the wait. We finally got our keys and were allowed to our room. The rooms are clean but very dated and tired, after a few days the smell started and our sink was leaking rust all over the bathroom floor which was rarely cleared up. We again didn't complain as we were only going to be in that room for a few days, it got to upgrade day and we packed up our room and called down to say we were ready to be told it wasn't possible, no apology or call to us prior to me calling to say so. If they had communicated that we couldn't move it would have saved us missing breakfast and packing up our room. Staff in this hotel are all very friendly but the service is shocking especially for a 5 star, only 1 day out of 6 were we offered coffee or tea with breakfast and it is a real struggle to find a clear table regardless of time we went to breakfast. We did eat at the hotel one evening fro greek night and it was a complete shambles and not worth the £100 when you can get far more superior meals from tavernas around the area.

The hotel were not very good when it came to asking for any information on trips, we booked the Paxos and Antipaxos trip (which is well worth doing) but were told we didn't need any money as lunch is provided...this is NOT the case and luckily I did take some money as we had to buy lunch on an island, this is absolutely fine but to advise people not to could have resulted in a very long day with no food or drink.

The hotels surroundings are beautiful and they are clearly trying to offer 5* service (Free beach towels, Private beach, bowling alley, some entertainment) but I would say it is a 3* at most because of the very slow and unhelpful service all be it with a smile. More staff are needed and more staff training.

We did have a lovely holiday but this certainly was not down to the hotel.

Please also be aware this hotel is right on the runway so you can hear planes landing and taking off at all hours but this will be the same with any hotel in Kanoni.....it is however quite a quirky place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Karis G
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I stayed at Corfu Holiday Palace for 3 nights last week on the way back from Albania and deliberately chose it for it's location near the airport. I was, however, unaware of exactly how close it was to the runway!

Having looked through other recent reviews, I have to say I am "in the middle". I certainly do not agree with Widgey67 (although I am really sorry for him/her having a disastrous holiday) but I can not agree with the "Amazing" reviews either.

My experience with the staff was that they were all extremely friendly and helpful, especially those on the front desk. I had a top floor room (724) with lovely sea views but twin beds rather than the requested double. The room was large and comfortable but, like the rest of the hotel, it was way past its prime - tired and a bit scruffy - and really in need of complete refurbishment but it was clean.

The big downside is obviously the runway right next to the hotel and the subsequent noise. The pool area is crowed and unless you do a "German" and reserve a sunbed at 6am you will have trouble getting a place. Towels also run out quickly - in 3 days I never managed to obtain one. The (salt water) pool is quite large but was full of children with lilo's. The scrappy beach is accessible by elevator and is enclosed so it is shallow and safe.

The buffet for breakfast and dinner were pretty good - a large selection of average-quality dishes but nothing special. I recommend going down to the beach and walking round the corner to a small fish restaurant.

In summary, I found Corfu Palace Hotel to be a fully functional tourist hotel catering for families with young kids that simply want sun, a pool, a beach and easy food. Other facilities include 10-pin bowling, table-tennis and pool billiards. If you like plane-spotting, all the better.

The real question is would I go back? In all honesty, probably not. Not because I had a terrible stay but I am sure there are much better hotels in Corfu.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Martin D
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stayedthere in April 2013, we had perfect weather and spent happy times round the lovely pool overlooking the private beach reachable by a lift. I would call this hotel slightly tired elegance with perfect service and spectacular views. When we first arrived we were rather surprised at the closeness of the airport and even moreso as we stayed in one of the rather spacious bungalows and not in the main hotel and our balcony overlooked the runway,however we found that we actually turned into quite avid plane spotters during our stay..... Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I am currently here at this hotel and it has been a disaster from day one. We are facing the airport runway and every twenty minutes or so we see and hear roaring planes landing and taking off. I have tried to move rooms and have been told that it will be an extra forty euros a day to go to the sea facing side of the hotel which I don't want to pay as it has cost over two and a half thousand Euros to stay here as it is. I would also still hear the noise of the planes over the other side. We then asked to speak to the hotel manager and the back reception supervisor was trotted out and pretended to be the hotel manager. She gave me my accomodation voucher back and said 'if you don't like it then you can leave'. We are now looking to change hotels or go home its that bad. The rooms are also small and dirty, the air conditioning smells damp and mouldy and the sunbed situation is such that rows break out as people throw each others towels off. The food is very mediocre and not much choice and the morning coffee tastes like swampwater. I was under the impression it was five star, more like a bad three star. The staff have been extremely rude when I complained and will not let me see the general manager, fobbing me off all the time to come back at a certain time and then say he is not here. They also say that we have a nice view of the lake, yes there is a lake BEHIND THE AIRPORT RUNWAY which sort of misses the point. If you are a plane spotter this would be your ideal hotel, to anyone else DO NOT COME.

Room Tip: at least choose sea view room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Widgey67
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My wife and I have stayed at the Corfu Holiday Palace twice now (two years running). It is an excellent hotel. The rooms are massive, each has a bath and large balcony, the beds are really comfortable. The restaurant is open air and you sit out overlooking the pool and the sea for your meals. The food is good quality and varied (and plentiful). The staff are all outstanding. They are the model of helpfulness, friendliness and professionalism - We can't fault them. There is a bus stop at the hotel gate which goes to Corfu Town every twenty minutes (for 1 Euro). From the town you can get anywhere on the island from the green bus garage. So you don't need a car. The view from most from of the rooms are stunning: The front all look over the sea and islands, the back looks over the lagoon and mountains. We highly recommend this hotel and the staff.

Room Tip: The hotel has seven floors, avoid ground or lower floors if possible to get a decent view. Sea faci...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Al N
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Had 4 nights there in high season August - loved it , left to go to a Nissaki Hotel for next 5 nights and wanted to return to Holiday Palace the minute I walked into the reception - cut it short and went back to Holiday Palace for last night , should have stayed put for whole time.
Make this clear , It is not 5 star as it is getting really tired and everyone eats in buffet restaurant but we stayed Bed and Breakfast only so went into the town a couple of nights , there are two really cool restaurant/ cafe / bar places next door we used the other 3 nights - very good Sushi and the other has a great Seafood variety platter you will find hard to get through and serve great cocktails while enjoying "the best view" . Best location in Corfu with elevated spectacular views on a peninsular , only drawback is the airport behind the hotel but this was not a problem for us . Book the large suite rooms under the restaurant , you get a private shared pool and much more space - there were 4 of us in the room and it was fine - I would book the same room if we were staying as a couple too. For rooms stay away from the airport side of the hotel and you will be fine.

Room Tip: Definitely the suites under the restaurant , there are only 10.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TheMondoMan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kanoni
Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa
#3 of 5 in Kanoni
Corfu Mare Boutique Hotel
Corfu Mare Boutique Hotel
#3 of 11 in Corfu Town

Been to Corfu Holiday Palace? Share your experiences!