“I am definitely coming back”
Review of Dimitris Hotel

Dimitris Hotel
Dimitris Hotel
Poland
“I am definitely coming back”
Reviewed 17 October 2011

An absolutely fabulous place for those who want a relaxing and peaceful holiday.
I have already decided to come back next year and this is the only place where I could think of staying.
The hotel is small- just what I was looking for; it is quiet- that was my main concern as I did not want a noisy disco or pub in the hotel or nearby; it is impeccably clean; there is absolutely nothing I could think of changing or improving.
And the owner- Dimitris- is one of the most friendly and helpful people I have ever met.

I did not go with a travel company, just booked a room in the hotel and organised the travel on my own and that was no problem. Just as mentioned in the other reviews the taxi from the airport to the ferry is about 20 Euros, then from the the ferry to the hotel you can either take a taxi again or a bus. We took the bus (I was there with my son aged 8) and that was fun for us both.

The beach is beautiful- we went in August so it was a bit crowded but still we always found a place; the sea is amazing- my son could spent hours in the water.

The village is small and I didn't really see much nightlife there but, again, that is what I wanted.

On the whole- I thoroughly enjoyed every minute there; I had a look at other hotels in the area and honestly Dimitris place seemed to be the ideal one.

I thought of writing no review because I very much want to go next year and with such good opinions it can either become too expensive or there might not be any rooms free:)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Katarzynna_11

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Greek first
Henley on Thames
Reviewed 21 July 2011

We chose to book Dimitris Hotel, flights and transfer ourselves as the reviews for this hotel were better on Trip Advisor than the others that Thompson had available when we booked. We were so glad we did.

It worked out a little more expensive than if you book as a package but it was worth it just not being herded about like cattle or to have to hang around waiting for lost people. The cost of the taxi was 20 euros to the ferry from Kavala airport and the same the otherside from the port to the hotel. The ferry runs every half and hour and cost only 3 euros per person. The 35 min journey makes a fab start to the holiday and the seagulls provide the inflight entertainment.

The hotel is '5 star' clean...the rooms, the garden, the exterior and interior paintwork and the garden looked like they had just been put in. I work in the hospitality industry and have my own mystery shopping company and I have radar for dirt of about a mile radius....but the whole 10 days I couldn't spot a single grain of sand! The bathroom had high quality fittings....even the extractor fan was pristine clean.

Dimitris and his team were warm and friendly. I even got a hug from the housekeeper. There was a taxi strike in mainland Greece on the day we needed to get back to the airport and Dimitris not only informed us of this but sorted out a transfer to the airport back for us too. There was a very boisterous kitten that created much amusement at breakfast, stalking unaware guests and launching himself onto their legs as they walked past.

The beach is beautiful, the sun loungers are only 5 euros for two and sometimes includes water too.

There is an odd looking plastic train that takes you to the other end of the 3 mile beach and back for 4 euros a trip in the evenings it also does a fab half day tour around 4 villages of the island for only 10 euros...this is a must even if you do feel a bit of a wally sitting on it.

Take plenty of cash as most of the taverners, shop owners and petrol stations do not like to pay the 2%!!!!! commission on cards. The cash machine is half way up the beach so plan it into your day!

Breakfast is a bit dull with the usual Greek plastic cheese and ham and orange squash but the bread is fabulous and some guests would bring Nutella down with them. We did the Brit thing and brought our own teabags with us...shameful I know!

The resort is very small and it doesn't take long to get to know the characters of the place....One of the hoteliers rescued a pony while we were there. The year before it was a dog apparently! Guests go back year after year.

If you want 18 - 30s nightclubing then this is not the place for you. If you want good food, in a safe, friendly, quiet envinoment with golden sand, crystal clear seas and views of green mountains unspoilt by concrete then this is for you.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SilentCustomer
Pocklington
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I stayed with my partner and our four children in the family room which is in the centre of the hotel overlooking the pool. The room was split into two sections so once the children were in bed you could close the sliding doors and enjoy a little privacy. Breakfast is simple but very enjoyable, ranging from boiled egg, toast and a bread bun with jam to fresh Greek yoghurt with honey and cereal. Breakfast was served between 8 and 10am on the vine covered veranda overlooking the swimming pool. Dimitris is a wonderful man, exceptionally helpful and will go far out of his way to please the customer. I asked for milkshakes for the children, unfortunately he didn't have the ice cream so couldn't make them, within 1 hour I saw him at the supermarket buying the ice cream, 30 minutes later the children were enjoying what they described as the best milkshakes ever. You would not get that sort of personal service from a large "package holiday" style hotel. The pool was a perfect size with about 20 sun loungers and umbrellas, as the beach was so close it was normally very quiet around the pool with only 2 or 3 families there at a time. Dimitris keeps the pool perfectly clean at all times and there is a shower to be used before and after to avoid any contamination. The bar and reception are together, there is a large screen television and safety deposit boxes available. The hotel is well maintained and is set in beautiful gardens. The views from the rooms and bar are unbeatable with views of the mountains to one side and the sea to the other.
Many of the guests have returned year after year to hotel Dimitris, I will also be returning as I have never been anywhere else that equals it.
We booked flights with Thomson (ridiculously expensive) and made our own way to the hotel, from the airport in a taxi to the ferry, on the very relaxing ferry for 40 minutes to Thassos town and then a taxi to the hotel. The two taxis and the ferry cost less than 40 Euros in total and were very enjoyable. Upon arrival Dimitris was waiting, he helped us with the luggage and showed us to our rooms, provided was a kettle, hair dryer, kitchen sink, TV and toaster. The room was very nice and kept very clean, as was the whole hotel.
Golden Beach is a beautiful place, from the hotel it was less than ten minutes steady walk to the beach, taverners, restaurants and supermarkets. A litre of fresh milk was 1.30 Euros, cigarettes started at 2 Euros, 1.5 litres of water was 50 cents. The local lager was Mythos and was priced between 2 and 2.50 Euros depending if you are in a bar or restaurant. The beach was an endless golden paradise, 2 sun loungers, a table, an umbrella and 1 litre of water was just 6 Euros for the day.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Hotel Fedra
#7 of 10 in Golden Beach
Hotel Kipos
Hotel Kipos
#11 of 17 in Thassos Town (Limenas)
Island View Villa
Island View Villa
#5 of 10 in Golden Beach

Been to Dimitris Hotel? Share your experiences!