“Very clean and homey”
Review of Rapitan di Vasay

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Basco
Rapitan di Vasay
Ranked #2 of 10 Basco B&B and Inns
manila
“Very clean and homey”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

It was our reunion of three high school classmates after 40 years. We stayed at the room in the ground floor. Breakfast was served in the adjacent dining room. We would suggest the breakfast that we like and they were very accommodating. The whole house is impeccably clean and that really matters. The only thing that we wish we had was air conditioning but the owners want to keep the house as ancient as possible.There was a brownout during our first night so we moved to the sala in the second floor and slept there. And by the way when we asked for our senior citizen discount, they granted it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank sara g

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Rapitan di Vasay gave me and my friend a firsthand experience of Ivatan hospitality. We really enjoyed our stay in Batanes and a big part of it was brought about by the warm
and welcoming atmosphere that Rapitan provided. This ancestral home-turned-B&B was very much like
a home away from home :)

I would especially like to commend everyone in Rapitan who took care of us during our brief respite--Rhoda and Tacing, who graciously
welcomed us the day we arrived and made sure that we always came home to a cozy room, Acela, who meticulously prepared nutritious and delicious breakfasts for us, and Arianne, who likewise oversaw to our needs. Their tips ranging from food preparation to getting around in Basco are very much appreciated.

Prior to our trip, correspondences between me and Yolanda, one of the owners of Rapitan, have certainly helped prepare us for this much-awaited vacation/retreat. The owners have also been quite gracious in honoring a reservation I made more than a year ago for a previously arranged trip to Batanes that did not materialize. Truly, I can say that it has been worth the wait.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank termaits
East Granby, Connecticut
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We had no expectations w/ our last minute plans to Batanes. What a pleasant surpise.

Rapitan was immaculately clean and organized, from the rooms, bathrooms, dining area, and kitchen (even after Acela made breakfast w/ all the kitchen utensils). It is conveniently located to everything (walking distance < 15 minutes, and I enjoy walking): one of the many internet cafes (KRC is very clean, with an fresh air outdoor sitting area to surf your phone, and an interesting turkey), the local craft souvenir store, the mini art gallery, harbor/pier, the main plaza square, and even the airport (9 short blocks), LandBank ATM, PNB dollar exchange (no ATM, but fewer crowds inside), many small stores to get amenities (I had to get extra camera batteries). Its architecture is typical for its era of the early 1900's (thick walls, local typhoon strength shutters, cross-room ventilation).

Acela the cook made scrumptuous breakfasts (she won a local cookfest without any advance planning).....fern salad, vegetarian omelet w a hint of oyster sauce, flying fish sarciado. We liked the breakfast 100x more than the dinner elsewhere, and requested a repeat menu. Tasing keeps watch at night. Arian and Rhoda chatted w/ us. Someone was always around.

Bathrooms were appointed w/ toiletries (and even a small towel to wipe down the sink), very well-lit, and with adjustable hot water. Bedrooms were turned down hotel-style. It was cool in early March, that my family shut the windows (no need for A/C). The back patio had a lush trellis of flowers. I did some handwash laundry and the staff graciously allowed me to dry my clothes in the backyard. Cherry tomatoes were plentiful, miniature, but very sweet (we took home some to plant in metro Manila). Acela used them as garnish but we ate them all.

Do book ahead of time, since it's a small B&B (3 ample sized rooms). I compared several places online, read reviews (aside from TripAdvisor) and blogs, and Rapitan was miles ahead of the competition in terms of price/value, cleanliness, and 1920's Basco ambience and character.

Room Tip: request for the room on the ground floor for those w/ mobility impairments.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank lakwatsera2014
philippines
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Rapitan di Vasay (RDV) --- where you can experience the best of Ivatan hospitality and the best home-cooked breakfast in Basco! I knew I made the right decision even before seeing the place. Inquiries via e-mail were promptly answered by one of the owners, Ms. Yolanda. She is a such a gem! Rapitan di Vasay is a century old house which has been slightly renovated to add modern day basic comforts. The place has retained much of its character though... reminds me of my grandparents home. The location is in the center of town and easily accessible to some of the incredible tourist spots in Basco. The caretakers and Acela (cook) took such good care of us during our stay.

I have been singing praises for Batanes and Rapitan di Vasay since our visit and I can't wait to go back!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lolsie
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights in Rapitan di Vasay. We stayed in the Idawud room. Very clean, clean beddings, clean hardwood floors. Smooth sheets. They even put up mosquito netting for a more restful, bug-free, slumber. We went in February so it was very cool and breezy. Staff was very accommodating. The house and all its rooms are cleaned every morning at 9am. Though we did have to check out at 9am to allow the staff to clean the rooms for the next occupants, they let us leave our bags while we went on our Batan South tour and come back for it in the afternoon.

Location is very central. It's near the town plaza and two streets away from the market place. There are stores nearby where you can buy food, clothing, and footwear. Because of its location, there's noise from the street (tricycles and people) even at night.

Compared with other places I've seen, from the outside, Rapitan di Vasay appears to be the nicest among the lodgings available in town. Even my tour-mates would exclaim how nice it was when they drop us off first.

Overall, a very pleasant stay.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Regi_grace
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for only one night but my parents stayed for 3 nights. Can't say enough good things about this house and the caretakers. We met the owners and they were very nice. They are very attentive to our needs. They helped us get tricycle so we can go around. It is located right in the middle of everything, close to the airport and church. We stayed at the second level of the house. Bathroom is quite new and very clean. Breakfast is very good.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed on our first 2 nights here in Batanes and didn't regret it. The staff were friendly and very helpful. The place is also walking distance from shops and restaurants around the city.

Surprisingly, we enjoyed the breakfasts here more than in Fundacion because the food were delicious and freshly prepared and charged at a fair price.

This place is recommended for tourists who are spending most of their days out during packaged tours. The place is quaint, clean and relaxing.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank museroom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Basco
Tugawe Cove Resort
#9 of 13 in Basco
Batanes Seaside Lodge
Batanes Seaside Lodge
#6 of 10 in Basco

Been to Rapitan di Vasay? Share your experiences!