“4th visit and another 5 star stay!”

Mareblue Beach Resort
“4th visit and another 5 star stay!”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

This was our 4th visit in two years to this hotel which should speak volumes in itself. We've stayed in May/June with our two children and September/October just the two of us. We've also recommended this hotel to friends who have stayed and also loved it. We adore this hotel for so many reasons:-

1. The location. The views are amazing and the grounds of the hotel are beautifully maintained. The nearest towns (Kassiopi and Acharavi) are only a shuttle bus away or there is bike hire for the energetic or car hire for the less energetic.

2. The rooms. We've been lucky enough to stay in the Miss Moneypenny block on three occasions and this has uninterrupted views of the sea and the mountains of Albania. These rooms have 5 beds, 3 sofa beds in the lounge area and twin beds in the main bedroom. Huge, clean with a massive balcony.

3. The food and drink. There is an abundance of food and even the fussiest eater shouldn't be able to complain. Salads, fruit, meats, veg, chips, puddings, ice cream. We ate at the main restaurant each time but there is also lunchtime food by the pool bar and a la carte there once a week (must be booked at reception). All three meal times are varied each time. The one thing I would say is the central island in the main restaurant does get very congested at busy times and because it's circular the start/end of the queue is hard to find.

The all inclusive drinks are excellent and although it says in busy times a 2 drink per customer rule is enforced it never was when we were there. Apricot Cooler and Gin Fizz were two of my favourite cocktails and the wine and beer are good too.

4. The entertainment. Having been earlier in the year we'd met some of the animation team on our previous visit and it was like catching up with friends. Gill, Rico, Ebo and Tommy do a fantastic job at entertaining everybody, young or not so young. Every time we've visited we've got involved with everything on offer. It's a great way to meet people. In the daytime there's darts, volleyball, boules, water polo, football, ping pong and at night there are either shows performed by the animation team (Mr Mareblue, Fakir show, karaoke, dance party etc.) or performers brought in (musical duo, magic show, Greek night). There really is something for everybody. I also won the darts and the karaoke which was an unexpected bonus! We also went on a trip to Club Versus in Acharavi with the animation team. The minibus leaves the hotel at midnight and returns at 3am twice a week. It was so much fun!

5. The people. Having returned to this hotel several times now it really is like coming to our second home, but it isn't just the warm welcome from the staff that makes us want to come back it's the other holidaymakers. This hotel has such a special ambience about it everyone we've met have been so friendly, laid back, full of fun, keen to interact etc. We always make so many friends and I'm missing them already!

It was another wonderful week at the Mareblue and I want to thank everyone who made it so special. I have so many memories I'm going to hold on to and I can't wait to visit again next year!

If you want particulars about where things are etc. read my three other reviews on the hotel.

Room Tip: Miss Moneypenny or James Bond blocks have the best sea views!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Amanda B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
London
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We paid an extremely all inclusive competitive price for 6 days and so I base my judgement of quality largely relating to the cost!

Free sea view:
Firstly, as previously seen on TA, the standard routine is that if you pay for a sea view- they will put on your booking voucher "free sea view upgrade" with small print "sea or garden view" so they initially tried to give us a 'garden view' (which is just view of paths) so we had to state up front that we had in fact paid for this! They must get this all the time as it was resolved in about 2 minutes.

Room:
After fixing the sea view issue- we were taken to our room which did have an amazing view. The Sea was indeed very blue and there were fabulous distant mountain views of Albania. We were lucky that our apartment was only one row back and so did not overlook the resort as well.
The room was fit for purpose, nice enough and clean-ish, don't expect a plug in your bath!

Food:
The food was as I expected- decent by canteen standards, good selection of salad if the hot meals don't take your fancy. No Michelin stars but you certainly get what you pay for as it was unlimited. A word of warning however- better to get there late as it can be a bit of a scrum!

Surrounding Area:
Now you're talking! Not two minutes walk from the bottom gates are a selection of lovely beaches and picturesque scenery. I highly recommend hiring a bike (7 euros each) and riding up the coastal track past a fish conservation area, forested area and on to baron coves and beaches.

Activities:
Plenty to do- 'Lord Travel' visit the resort every day with coach excursions into the gorgeous Corfu towns, glass bottom boat trips and other cultural excursions.
There are bikes to hire, quad bikes (bring your licence!) and other motor vehicles.
All of these extras are of course not free but very reasonably priced- in the region of E15pp for coach to corfu town E7pp for bike day hire, E25pp for Quad bike hire.

Word of warning:
This resort has NO CASH MACHINE and ONLY ACCEPTS CASH!
...Which is a slight anomaly to say the least. They would have had at least an extra E100 out of us had there been the option, as it was, we had to survive on what we already had until our trip into town, and if we had not had any cash, we would not have been able to afford the trip so beware!

Also- the well documented Mosquitoes and wasps are an issue but certainly not the fault of the resort and had very little impact on our enjoyment- which was considerable :)

Restaurant:
The Local Ammus restaurant was extremely good food and lovely family running it. Also only accept cash but allowed us to eat then and pay the next day.

Room Tip: room 1711 had a great view!
1 Thank SamW1lk
Marlow
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Just returned and missing Mareblue already - great location, great service, great food, great entertainment, great time. From the moment the merry animation team said they were there to make our holiday happy, I knew it would be good. The location was definitely the best we saw on the long coach ride from the airport (the only negative part of the holiday. But if you look on it as a scenic trip, it makes it worthwhile).
Relaxing by the pool overlooking gorgeous bay and constantly changing views etc was my idea of heaven. It pays to take part in the events run by the hard working animation team. Tommy in particular is a lively charismatic personality who makes every event fun - even boules and darts. It was a shame we were starting to get to know people and had to leave. One week isn't long enough!
The entertainment in the evening was good too - magic show,fakir, singing etc. Greek night was especially good. So was the food that day and the Greek cookery lessons.
Took a little stroll studying the fauna and flora and found pretty beaches, interesting little fish, cute green lizard and lovely butterflies. Yes, the place is tranquil but that was what I liked. I gather there is a disco nearby.
The apartments are named after Bond characters and I hadn't heard of ours - Jinx. If we had had James Bond or Moneypenny we would have had sea views, but it didn't matter, the beach bar was not far. Our balcony was not in the sun but we spent most of the time by the sea till late.
I cannot fault the food. It was excellent. Plenty of choice for everyone. Even my husband who does not normally have a sweet tooth couldn't resist the Greek pastries . I loved the fetta salads and particularly enjoyed the beef and chicken dishes. The fact that I had my own pot of lovely coffee with breakfast daily to enjoy with my croissants was wonderful. Full English and every other type of breakfast on offer too. The only negative in the restaurant was the way the central servery is designed. Plates at each end with food either side. I queued a long time one evening because people pushed in. Generally we dined late to avoid the scrum. Cocktails variable in quality depending who did them. I stuck to gin and tonic mainly. The chap in the pool bar was best at making it.
Yes, rooms were not star quality but comfortable and clean. Not as basic as I was expecting from other reviews. Yes I was bitten by mossies. I recommend buying local repellent as this is generally best. I guess in height of summer they are probably problem but we were ok. I did not swim cos it was October and water bit chilly for me but my husband enjoyed it and said it was good.
I went on local bus trip to pretty Kassiopi and loved it. There are plenty of bars and restaurants there for those who want more night life. Our weather was variable. Packed lunch for trip to airport disappointing - not high standard as hotel food. We arrived in a storm and left in the rain but had sunshine in between. Couldn't ask for more in Autumn. The same applies for the hotel. We couldn't ask for more. Our only problem now is which all inclusive do we like best. Our favourite Spanish resort or this Greek one. It is a tough choice now because they are both fantastic value and great locations. Well done Mareblue.

Room Tip: If you want special view book James Bond or Moneypenny or views overlooking the lake
2 Thank carla d
Reviewed 7 October 2013

The Mareblue Beach Resort is listed as a 4 star hotel offering all inclusive accommodation in the resort of St spyridon, however be prepared to take extra money with with you, you're likely to need it!!
Firstly the small extra charges;
1. Hotel safe available at 4 euros per day
2. Hotel beach towels available for a deposit of 10 euros each, entitling you to one towel change per week
3. Beach sun loungers available at 5 euros per day (8 euros for two) as the beach is not owned by the hotel
4.currency exchange with a supplemental 2% charge (no cash machines within the vicinity either)
5. Credit card use in the onsite shop with a 3% supplemental charge

All of the normal additional charges (drinks outside of all inclusive times, sporting activities etc) also apply.

Next the 4 star rooms, basic to say the least, generally clean and tidy (if you overlook the mouldy shower curtain and broken glass under the bed) plugs are not supplied for use in the bath due to water shortages, shower is of good quality however mounted just above the rim of the bath so you have to hold it above your head

Restaurant serves excellent food and waiting staff are extremely friendly. Food is available throughout most of the day, only criticism is the size of the main hot food servery, which is set on an island little bigger than a large dining table, makes getting the main course extremely difficult

Finally reception staff, always have a smile on their face and promise anything can be done in 20 minutes, in reality be prepared to wait significantly longer and recognise that most of the facade is lip service and little more.

Overall incredibly disappointing service and attitude from a hotel that with its star rating should be one of the best. Other areas within corfu have much more to offer

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank elnicholls
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a week with my partner for some rest and relaxation and that's exactly what we got. There was a beach and a couple of taverna's within 5mins walking distance and a shop 30sec walk from the hotel but that's it. For us this was perfect as we weren't looking for an action packed holiday. There are 2 pools, one is adults only which was very quiet and relaxing. The other pool is much bigger and has a separate children's pool. There was daily activities at this pool including water polo and aqua aerobics to join in with if you wanted. There was plenty of sun loungers and towel hire is available for a fee, although we took our own. The pool bar was quite big and doubled up as the A la carte restaurant in the evening. The food was great, much better than I expected from an all inclusive, there was a wide variety and it was always kept hot and topped up. There was a large option of drinks, including cocktails, at both the pool bar and the lobby bar, however, my only criticism of our stay was that the bar staff weren't as pleasant or attentive as they could have been. There was entertainment on every night and had a wide variety to suit all ages. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel to friends and family.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cazbaz6
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I would recommend this hotel to family’s if you don’t mind sharing a room with your kids. The overall experience was a positive one I will post the negatives at the end of this revue. Room’s are basic but clean and fit for use ( if you can, avoid room 2121 see photo) The bar staff are good but will enforce the 2 drinks per order rule at busy times. The animation team are great and are none stop from 10am till gone 12 most nights, every evening there was a good quality show on at the bottom bar area starting around 9.30pm. The food, unless you are a 5 star gastronome is as good as or better than most hotels if you like pastry the chef here will never be out of work (some of the best deserts), the dishes are plentiful and varied.
On the down side some of the reception staff are less than helpful the hotel rep for Lord travel was not the best overall he just wants you to buy his overpriced trips or hire cars, we only asked him 2 things and he managed to fail both times. WiFi is free at the shop and Amos beach bar out side the hotel but 30euro to for a limited service available in the reception area only. Dining room the tables are a little to close together and the staff push cart’s around clearing plates and waste food while you are trying to eat.
This hotel is in a remote location, you will need a hire car to get anyplace. Corfu car hire have a branch 50mts from the hotel, you can also save transfer charges by renting one of their car at the airport and droping it off at this local office. Bus transfer time around 90 mins

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lennyonline
Slough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

My husband and I just returned from a week's long holiday in Mare Blue Beach Resort (28.09-04.10). We had an amazing holiday and we wouldn't change anything about it. The hotel is very clean and well looked after. The pools are clean too. We really enjoyed the adult only pool and even though the water was a bit cold it didn't put us off swimming. In addition, the hotel has a gym, football pitch, tennis court and a beautiful sandy beach is just nearby.

The room was nice and cleaned daily (we didn't even notice the limited maid service on Sunday). The air con worked well, the beds were ok and the little fridge in the room came in handy a couple of times.

As for the food and drinks, we couldn't complain at all. The food was tasty and there was a variety of it. There were a lot of Greek dishes which was great as we tried things we never had before. I especially liked the fresh salads, cheeses, fresh bread and the desserts. I'm not much of a meat eater but my hubby enjoyed the meat dishes a lot. The only downside were the queues by the hot meat section. All in all, we enjoyed the food. Drinks were very nice too (especially the cocktails). Sometimes the bar got a bit busy but that wasn't much of an issue.

The staff were friendly and helpful. The restaurant staff were extremely attentive, our plates were cleared up accordingly and every morning we would be offered coffee as we sat down. The receptionists were a bit miserable at times but never failed to provide the assistance we needed.

Before the holiday, we were dreading the mosquitos but I guess we were lucky. There weren't that many of them so we didn't even bother to get the sprays or candles.

Finally, I'd like to mention the trips that can be arranged on site. I strongly recommend the boat trip to Corfu town. The town is absolutely gorgeous and you can shop till you drop there. We also treated ourselves to a horse cart ride around the old town (20€ per person) which was absolutely lovely. Another trip which we did was called the Great Island Tour. We went around 3/4 of the island, stopped in places which we couldn't even pronounce and took gorgeous pictures. It was a great way to see the island and it was well worth its price (35€ per person). We heard that the trip to Albania was very nice and that the water park was good but they collided with the trips which we went for. If you don't want to do the trips, there is a car hire service on site or for 5€ you can take a bus to one of the nearest towns (booked at reception). You can also book a 2 hour slot of horse riding which we did and thoroughly enjoyed. It costs 18€, 3 time slots are available and you will be picked up from the hotel. It's for complete beginners (like us) or experienced riders.

All in all, we had a brilliant holiday. The hotel caters to both couples and families. It is quite remote and tranquil but that's what we wanted. It isn't suitable for people with mobility problems but the travel agent's website actually states that. We read some of the previous reviews and think that the negative comments are far too picky. For what we paid for this holiday our expectations were vastly exceeded. If you're looking for faults you will definitely find some but we had too much of a great time to pay any attention.

2 Thank Sylwia W
Corfu Mare Boutique Hotel
Corfu Mare Boutique Hotel
#3 of 10 in Corfu Town
Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel

Been to Mareblue Beach Resort? Share your experiences!