“No Kids' Club!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Kontokali
Bath, United Kingdom
“No Kids' Club!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Part of the reason we chose this hotel for our family holiday was the advertised Kids' club. There is a children's "playground" and it is staffed but children under the age of 12 (and no child over the age of 8 would be interested in the place) must be accompanied by an adult...
The main swimming pool is not particularly child friendly either as the shallow end is around 1.3m deep.
The hotel itself is fine and the staff extremely helpful. Food is reasonable but prices quite high.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SimonPortico
Alex M, General Manager at Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
“Dear SimonPort...,

Kalimera!!

On behalf of the team at Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa, I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your holiday with us.

We certainly do our utmost to make your holiday as comfortable and pleasant as possible, so we are very pleased to read that you were satisfied with the hotel in general, the extremely helpful staff and good food.

Regarding the issues raised all will be dealt this winter (I am not in liberty to disclose details as yet), but I would be grateful if you send your e-mail address at manager@kontokalibay.gr to send you in January the full improvement plan that we will undertake this coming winter-period.

Thank you very much for your comments. We do hope that Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa will be your choice of hotel, should you be back on the island of Corfu and thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you.”

A. Margonis - GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Travelled here at the end of June for a weeks stay with my husband and seventeen year old daughter. We arrived in the middle of the night and the night manager checked us in very quickly and easily and the porter took our luggage and showed us to the room. Our room was facing the marina and had a terrace onto a large area of grass. The room was not one of the updated ones however it was very clean, not old-fashioned and perfectly adequate for what we needed.
We stayed half board and meals were impossible to fault. The selections at both breakfast and evening meal were plentiful and there was always something suitable for us all. The fruit, fresh bread and meats were all especially good!
We spent most of our days on the beach, which was clean and there were always sunbeds available throughout the sea. Had our lunch at the restaurant at the beach, and we thought the prices of the food and drinks there were very reasonable.
The staff are incredible, very welcoming and friendly, and all speak very good English, manager is wonderful. The evening entertainment was good, especially the Greek night and the Latin Dancing, be warned, you are expected to join in dancing!! Magic show on our last night was a wonderful end to the holiday.
Would recommend the courtesy bus into Corfu Town, very quick, just note that you are picked up where you are dropped off as this was not made clear to us. The location of the hotel is perfect, about a 20 minute transfer, the views at this hotel are to die for.
Overall we had an absolutely wonderful stay, thank you to everyone at Kontokali Bay, we shall definitely return in the future!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank susan g
Alex M, General Manager at Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
“Dear susan g,

Kalimera!!

Thank you for the wonderful comments of our property. I'm so pleased we were able to meet and exceed your expectations. It is always a pleasure to read a positive review from our guests. We always strive to personalize our services and give a 'homey' feeling to our guests.

We are glad to have such a dedicated staff who work extra hard to provide the best possible service to every guest and make their stay enjoyable & memorable.

We look forward to having you as our guest again; all the best from Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa management and staff.”

A. Margonis – GM
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed for 11 days at the Kontokali Bay Hotel with my family (6 people). Overall I would have to say I was disappointed with the value for money. It charges 5 Star prices but does not offer 5 Star facilities, food or overall service. It is a nice location (on the beach) and is close to Corfu Town but it needs to make its mind up about what sort a resort it really wants to be. The staff (nearly all) are very friendly and helpful but just lack the "5 Star" touch when it comes to service and responsiveness. The acid test for any holiday is always “would we go back?”. Sadly in this case is definitely not at those prices.

Room Tip: The garden view rooms are really "car park view" rooms so select a seaview room if possibl...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark R
“Dear Mark R,

Kalimera!!

We always welcome honest feedback from our guests and I am sorry to hear that your experience with us did not meet “your acid test” and expectations.

Lots of repeat guests tell me that it’s interesting how I reply to bad reviews/comments and in your case the feedback is “conclusive” with no details to allow me to comment specifically. However, I feel it’s my responsibility that we failed to reveal enough “moments of truth” when we had the opportunity (during your stay) and to make a favorable impression and I am truly sorry for that.

We are fully aware who we are and where we stand as a 5* resort, we do have in place our “mission statement”, “mantra” and the culture to deliver the 5* star experience to our guests.

Furthermore, the expectations and “needs” set by guests often cannot be matched (all the time, by all our guests) as their criteria are based on different experiences and background. Usually the two most common guest complaints are a discrepancy between guest expectations and product usability and perceived quality of the product. In this case the product is an ‘experience’ we provide during their holiday with us.

Nothing would make us happier, other than changing your opinion about our property. Thus, please do feel free to contact me personally at any time should you wish to discuss your holiday with me in more detail.”

My contact details are Tel +30 26610 90505 or email manager@kontokalibay.gr

PS: Your assessment of our property reminded me something a teacher of mine said ‘that an hotelier doesn’t have direct control over what someone says after they walk out; it’s very possible to control the guest experience in such a way that they leave with only positive thoughts.’

A. Margonis – GM
Ely, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I returnerned to Corfu on our first visit since our honeymoon 33 years ago. We were
Drawn to the kontokali because of its sensible sized indoor and outdoor pools, the spa, and the reviews,especially regarding the quality of the food, and the warmth of the staff.Nothing here disappointed us, we were upgraded to a sea view room less than 2minutes from the beach.The room was very clean, with good air con,great balcony, free bottle of wine. The hotel just feels easy, the staff make it so,we were even given a cake on the evening of our anniversary although I had only mentioned this date to Kostas in passing earlier in the week.Plenty of loungers, plenty of space, great choice of food, but above all that special ingredient,being cared for.by people who make you feel comfortable and happy. Thank you, Leon and Sally Russell.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LEON R
Alex M, General Manager at Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
“Dear LEON R,

Kalimera!!

We very much appreciate your time to post your feedback on the site and it is so nice to hear that ”nothing here was disappointed“ and you give us credit for making your holiday memorable.

We are very grateful that you have let other people know of your positive holiday, the excellent service, the warmth of the staff and I am so pleased that you felt you were taken care just like home.

I have passed your kind words to Kostas and all TEAM who look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can assist with a booking.”

Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa for 2 weeks from the 23rd of June and thoroughly enjoyed everything the hotel had to offer. We stayed in a fourth floor sea view room where the balcony was very secluded which was nice. The room's air conditioning was probably the quietest we have ever experienced. The location is amazing, the view from your sunbed changes every minute, from huge cruise liners coming in to Corfu Town to the beautiful yachts entering and leaving the nearby marina, there is never a dull moment. The dramatic landscape all around you is breath-taking. The food here is excellent, we could not fault it, with great choices at all sittings. On a few occasions, we swapped our evening meal for a lunchtime one from the beach bar & restaurant, the kebabs on offer here were delicious. There is no doubt that the drinks here are quite expensive, we did wander down to the little taverna on the next beach to the hotel for an afternoon drink where the prices were a little more competetive. The staff at this hotel are wonderful, very knowledgeable, helpful, hardworking and friendly, a credit to the hotel. Everywhere is kept spotless and the grounds are well kept also. There are plenty of sunbeds available, no need to rush down at ridiculous hours to reserve one. We spent most of our time on the decking in front of the beach bar & restaurant which was lovely although the beaches themselves were very nice also. I took my snorkel and mask and there were plenty of fish to see. We hired a boat for a couple of hours from the resident water sports centre (the team there are very helpful), this was money well spent as we travelled along the coast to Barbati before coming back to the hotel via the 2 islands opposite it.
There is a local mini market at the end of the road to the hotel which stocks most things you might require, slightly more expensive than the nearest supermarket which is on the main road towards Gouvia and is about a 1 mile round trip. The only downside to the walk down the road from the hotel is the smell from a gulley along side it, particularly in the evening when it has been hot all day. This by no means detracts form the overall experience of staying here though.
The nearby marina is well worth a visit, as is the town of Gouvia itself, which has lots of shops bars and restaurants.
Another good aspect of the location is the easy access to local buses which were available at the end of the road on which the hotel stands. This is about a quarter of a mile walk. We used the local 'blue' buses to get into and out of Corfu town at a very reasonable 3 euros each return (though they can be a little full at times). We also used one of the 'green' buses to visit Paleokastritsa, again at a very reasonable price. The village itself was very nice, lot's of places to shop, eat and drink. The views from the monastery are spectacular. We went on the Nautilus glass bottomed boat trip which was half of a 12 euro each offer along with a walk around the nearby aquarium. We thoroughly enjoyed both. Our next 'green' bus adventure was a quite amazing journey to Kassiopi. For less than 12 euros return for the 2 of us, we witnessed what has got to be one of the most beautiful and spectacular bus routes in the world. I don't believe that we have ever spent a better 11 euros. Kassiopi itself has a lovely harbour and numerous shops, restaurants and bars, well worth spending a few hours there.
One trip that we went on via our holiday company was a boat trip to Paxos (the Blue Caves) and Anti Paxos for snorkelling in the beautiful turquoise waters. Quite a long boat ride from Corfu Town but so worth it.
This is our fourth trip to Greece and is by far the most beautiful place we have been, Corfu is stunning.
We were picked up by taxi for our trip back to the airport and the driver said that the Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa is the best hotel on the island, I could quite believe it!
Thank you to Alex and all of his team at the Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa

Room Tip: High floor sea view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JanoandFlan
“Dear AlanM643

Kalimera!!

Wonderful review, thank you for posting it!

Many thanks for your gracious feedback. I was absolutely delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your holiday.

I am so pleased to hear that you felt special and pampered and that you find the service very friendly and of very good standards. I am so pleased that you feel well looked after and at home; that is exactly how we want you to feel as it is your home away from home.

We pride ourselves on the service and facilities we provide our guests and this is only made possible by the great team we have at Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa.

I am personally going to pass on your kind words to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon for another pleasant holiday.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at any time if we can be of assistance.”

Athens, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

my husband and i own a house in corfu and we visit every summer. we always go to kodokali bay for massage because it has an excellent spa. This time after we had our massages (which costed 160 for two)we decided to go down to the lovely beach of the hotel to have a drink and a swim.
we ordered drinks (that costed almost 20 euros)and after 5 minutes a guy showed up and asked us to pay 20 euros for the sun beds.. i am Greek and i have traveled to many places all over greece,and i think that 20 euros for two sun beds (drinks Not included)is too much.
We left a bit disappointed especially because we went there to enjoy and relax and we left feeling ripped off .
We wil think twice before going there again.and its a shame because the spa is amazing.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank travel-all-my-life
Alex M, General Manager at Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
“Dear travel-all-my-life,

Kalimera!!

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your visit to Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa.

We are pleased that we've been able to provide you excellent service in the spa and thank you
for your loyalty. Regarding the cost of the umbrellas / drinks, please note the following:

• Lounge chairs/Umbrellas at the beach are complimentary and it is a service primarily for the use of our hotel-guests as they paying for it.
• Kontokali beach is the closest beach to town and it is awarded for more than 20 years the BLUE FLAG. During the past summer(s) we encounter continuous problems with outside visitors that come to the hotel and occupy the lounge chairs/ umbrellas; thus, leaving us without any space for our guests. To avoid denying the use of the beach services to visiting customers, as many other hotels do, we decided to increase the prices to discourage them.
• Local hotels/business that don’t have a beach encourage their guests to come to our property to enjoy the beach services (written in reply such as this one to guest.)
• Drinks are less expensive comparing with other hotels in our category and this year we added beach service for our guests.

Once again, thank you for bringing this matter to light, so I can explain it and may I make a comment that we rather be accused of being a bit-expensive rather than refusing hospitality and/or providing inferior service to our guests; after all we are a 5* hotel.

We hope that we can welcome you back to Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa again.”

dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Staying for two weeks at the above, which pretty much all other recent vacations have been just as expected.
The hotel itself has great open spaces, with plenty of choice areas to sunbath, from the private beach, pool, grassed area, or open decks.
The breakfast is fine, an again everything to hand, if a little busy at around 9.00 am,
Though the lunch menu and service more than makes up for this, with a great selection of fresh salads to the hot served counter, and the really popular barbecue.
The dinner service whilst again was fine in most parts, could be more exciting, with ideas being taken from the lunch service.
Though this was also apparent on a visit to another five star retreat.
The only but, i would have, well two I should say, and two which I feel are quite important, are firstly the shower in the room, is an over bath, (a very small one at that) and not a stand alone stall, which would be expected, from a five star hotel.
The second point would be the dire speed of the wifi, and that includes within touching distance of the router, with sometimes it being reduce to the speed of a dial up connection.
Though on the whole a fine place to spend a fortnight, catching up on some well deserved r&r......
The dinner service is slightly disappointing, with a better selection and presentation at the lunch, though this has also been apparent at other recent five star retreats.

Room Tip: Choose one of beachfront rooms, which overlook the private beach, and so too the port of Corfu, with...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mart003
Alex M, General Manager at Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
“Dear mart003,

Kalimera!!

Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and any comments that help us to maintain the high standards for which Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa is known, are warmly welcomed.

As stated on other reviews, we will revamp our rooms in the main building including the bathrooms (shower) as well as our WIFI throughout the property.

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to share your feedback with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.”

A. Margonis - GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kontokali
MarBella Corfu Hotel
Aeolos Beach Resort
Corfu Mare Boutique Hotel
Corfu Mare Boutique Hotel
#3 of 10 in Corfu Town

Been to Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!