“Fun in the Sun”
Review of The Surf Hotel

The Surf Hotel
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Went to Surf Hotel in June with my wife to see if it would work for a family holiday with kids. We had a fabulous time, staff were all brilliant, hotel is fab (and perfect for a beach break), kit is great and conditions on the water divine! Loved the early morning SUP trip with Andy and his private coaching was very good and excellent value. The town (20 minute walk along the road) is super with really great food and scenery and the local tavernas (5 minute walk) were just as good and better value. As a dinghy sailor (but past my prime at 49) I thought I had died and gone to heaven, spoilt for choice in terms of toys to play with and, whilst the wind is generally light during the morning, they do let you go out and have a go when 'Eric' arrives as long as you know what you are doing (it is Force 6+ and can shift 180 degrees very suddenly!).
We are going back next week with 4 kids and that is probably all you need to know.. can't wait!!

Room Tip: Go for the block nearest the sea but all are really well located as it is an intimate and really wel...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kidzintow
Caroline G, Customer Care Manager at The Surf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Kidzintow,

Thank you very much for your fantastic review.

Andy and the rest of the team on site were very pleased to see that their efforts to make our guests' holiday most enjoyable paid off.

They now look forward to welcoming you both again as well as your 4 children this week-end and we do hope that your children will also have a lot of fun in the sun.

Have a lovely family holiday!

Kind regards

Caroline

Customer Care Manager
for Ocean Elements,
Alpine Elements and iGOSKI

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Sitting in a cold and windy weymouth It seems hard to believe yesterday we were having breakfast in a warm and sunny Vassiliki. We have just returned from our second visit to Ocean Elements Surf Hotel (the first was in 2011 - their first year). After the first holiday experience we arrived with some high expectations but I am pleased to report that they were exceeded this year. The guests were a very diverse and eclectic bunch with a very wide range of sailing, windsurfing and mountain biking skills. As far as I could see everyone received appropriate, competent and enthusiastic help and tuition relevant to their needs. In fact all the staff go out of their way to make sure everyone is happy in what they are doing. The day starts with a mad bunch of lunatics (my judgment) who hurtle off on mountain bikes to some far flung part of the island. Meanwhile normal folk enjoy a very hearty well cooked breakfast in their restaurant with fantastic views looking over the bay.Mornings are spent with dinghy and windsurfing tuition in the light breezes before lunch in their beachside bar. If the weather goes to plan Eric the thermal wind will kick in in the afternoon and then the keen windsurfers will go out and do their vulcans and other tricks and generally go very fast and show off in front of the beach. At this point I should emphasise that safety is paramount in everything that OE do. My son who knows about these things assures me that their kit is first rate whilst my wife and daughter really enjoyed the evening cycle rides. I think OE have really got the formula right here by making sure there is something for everyone especially the kids with their excellent kids clubs. The Saturday evening BBQ finished the holiday off well. Well almost because today I received an email from Harry OEs pet photographer who offers a fantastic service with photos of all the family on the water. I now have a good number of action shots in a dropbox to remind us where to go to next year. Not a difficult decision.

Room Tip: As close to the sea as possible for a good view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Just back from a fortnight with Ocean Elements in Vassiliki. We had a fantastic time! The staff are all amazing. They really care that you have a good time and will move mountains to make sure your stay is fantastic. Everything is clean and tidy, anything that needs attention gets it and everything is done with a smile. The beach team and instructors are great fun and knowledgable are obviously enjoying themselves as well as working hard and making sure the guests are having a great time. I'm not very good at finding time to do reviews but the team at Ocean Elements Vassiliki earned a great review! I too was on the Level 1 sailing course taught by Mark w/c 28/7 (mentioned in an earlier review) and I cannot praise him highly enough for clear, structured (fun) instruction, catering for everyone from fearless teenagers to terrified middle-aged ladies (me). I was sorry to leave and can't wait to go back

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alison M
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Just spent a week with Ocean Elements in their Vass hotel. Our children - girls10 & 9 - loved the junior squad. Bar food fine. Kit and teaching all great. Staff friendly and enthusiastic. Hotel clean, tidy and functional. All good and would return.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JPR69
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have just come back from a week at the Surf Hotel with Ocean Elements with a group of friends. We had an amazing time, the location of the hotel is beautiful, and the waterfront staff were absolutely brilliant as well as the hotel manager Billy. We took part in the Level 1 sailing for beginners which was taught by Mark – Mark was great and was also incredibly patient! I would very much recommended Ocean Elements, and I can’t wait to return and maybe try some of their other resorts.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This is my second visit to the Surf Hotel. Excellent instructors - thanks to Laura,Abby & Doug for their extremely energetic coaching and fun on the Improvers windsurfing course. I was very impressed by Jo the MTB Guide, who was superb at his job and his knowledge of bikes - only thing I would say is that Ocean Elements are missing a trick as they cannot be aware of the unbelievable opportunity they have for putting on more guided bike rides.Vasiliki is a great spot for windsurfing -sailing etc and all the opportunity to try new kit with the support of the beach front staff is very reassuring and professional.
The Hotel is cleaned very thoroughly everyday by the staff, shame that the mattress's are of a poor quality - I was on the Ground Floor which did echo all of the noise from occupants in the room directly above me, luckily for me just a couple. A big improvement this year is the installation of a second WiFi point near the office which gave reasonable coverage of the whole site.
There were a shortage of sun lounges and a large number of the old white plastic loungers are broken as they were last year.
I would say this is a B&B resort with a good breakfast from cereals to the cooked breakfast and toast and plenty of fruit, this works really well as there are numerous Taverna's locally, but I would strongly recommend the 15 minute walk into the harbour centre to enjoy the local cuisine- superb.

Room Tip: Don't choose a ground floor room if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Surrey_Steve_2013
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Had another fantastic holiday at the surf hotel and already counting down the days till we come back again. Excellent staff and a lovely setting right on the beach. Hotel is basic but spotlessly clean. Plenty of activities to choose from with excellent equipment and tuition or If you prefer you can just lay by the lovely pool and chill out. Can't wait till September when we will be back

• Stayed: June 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vasiliki
Grand Theoni Hotel
Odeon Hotel
Odeon Hotel
#4 of 12 in Vasiliki
Porto Galini Seaside Resort & Spa

Been to The Surf Hotel? Share your experiences!