“Traditional Greek basic accommodation-you get what you pay for.”
Review of Amalia Apartments

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koukounaries
Amalia Apartments
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Koukounaries
Reviewed 15 July 2011

You reach the apartments along a half made up track alongside the Mandraki Village Boutique Hotel, and it's located in the middle of a pine forest. It’s probably about a 5 minute walk from the main road. A torch is useful for finding your way back at night as well as finding the lock in your door. We got a very hospitable welcome from the staff and a welcome drink was produced almost immediately, followed by the first drink was free at the bar. A nice touch-Welcome to Skiathos.

The accommodation is basic, and I don't think it has any pretentions to be anything else. There's a nice pool with plenty of free sun beds, and an open air bar. I found the safe deposit box a bit expensive at €30 for 2 weeks (I could have bought one for that), but the drinks at the bar were some of cheapest you will find on the Island. Amstel or Mythos plus a few others I can't remember were just €2 a pint. Our apartment was located next to some sort of generator or pump station and had a constant and annoying "humming" noise.

There was a wasp’s nest in the bathroom under the roof, and there were ants all over the place. There were handtowels-that were changed regularly, but sadly no bath towels were provided. There were one or two rats running about the complex. I guess being in the middle of a forest you have to expect these sorts of thing.

Rooms around the pool may suffer from guest noise as there were several late night parties. I would guess further away from the pool you would be OK. For some strange reason there was a large old bald headed man with a small appendage riding a pushbike naked around the complex some evenings. I think Olympic Holidays have exclusive use of the Amalia, and their Rep seemed to live on site. He entertained the bar some evenings with his version of opera singing. Less amusing was his “micky taking” of a spastic speaking whilst unbeknown to him one of his clients had a son with them who appeared to possibly be spastic or had learning difficulties, and was only a few yards away. I accept the Rep may have been “off duty” at the time.

The Island is lovely and I guess you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank djrockbottom

Reviewed 4 July 2011

I have never ever had bad accomodation in Skiathos before....basic, yes, small yes, not a great view, yes.....BUT this was dirty, dark, and the bar area was filfthy....no wonder the beer was cheaper (50 cents) however, we stayed for 10 minutes and went a private apartment that I now have to claim back from Olympic....I will post photo's, however I do believe Olympic should not have these studios on the books ..... they are not a patch on the Yalis, Demetris, Manos and they are all the same rating ...........(not even a cooker) and let me promise you....it is more than a 10 minute walk to the beach.....if you can even call it Koukounaries!! Believe the bad reviews on here please, because, stupidly I didn't..... I have been going to Greece for 20 years and Skiathos twice a year for 7 and never complained until now.....Dirty tables, no cooker, no cups, grass not cut etc etc etc.....sorry guys, rant over and I know I will have people saying.... it's Greece, blah, Blah blah but I wouldnt have stayed there whilst backing in my early 20's ... and I stayed some places.

I think what somes this up is they take no care of the place .... and thats that.... truly disapointed!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank appy_abby
Reviewed 11 June 2011

Just got back from our holiday yesterday,flew from Birmingham to skiathos flight was ok.transfer from airport to top of lane took about 25 minutes after a few drop offs. you leave your bags at airport and see them at hotel, about a 5 minute walk down a lane to hotel which you need a torch at night once at hotel it is like most Greek hotels very basic which is nice , had a small pool which was clean, lots of sun beds and brollies , we got a room was which was clean and big with 4 single beds plus two more beds upstairs basic cooking stuff sandwich toaster microwave kettle fridge, shower was only a curtain but mop out side so we were able to clean the floor after use . Georges bar had a vast amount of drinks to choose from and a bottle of beer was only 2 euros , they also have sky sports which is a big plus , the bar area could be a bit cleaner had to take a couple of glasses back has they were dirty . if going out for food try the myrtia next door the food was really really nice and not dear we had a few meals there ..the beach is about 10 minutes walk away but it is beautiful sands when you get there was told it's in the top 5 in Greece , would we go back yes we would hope this helps you

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank morganleigh
Reviewed 16 April 2011

Our home from home is The Amalia aptms.Skiathos. Our ages Range from our 16yr old daughter, ( who was 10 on her first visit ) to my mother -in - law who is 70+ & all of us are made so welcome.
The aptms are basic & clean. The pool is cleaned & the water quality tested every day. Any problems ( if you find any ) are quickly sorted out by the manager. On one visit we had left a case behind but it was brought to us at the airport by the staff who refused any compensation for their trouble.
The bar's tv shows all the importnt games of all sports ( England matches lol ) & is the cheapest bar on the Island. If you find a cheaper bar for the same drink then the owner will pay for your drink for the rest of your stay. Never been beaten in 5 yrs that I know of.
We have stayed at various accomodations all along the Island during the past 10yrs.Some better & some worse,but for overall value, location, cleanliness & friendlyness, You can't go far wrong with The Amarlia.
would I go back? Booked for May & looking at August.

Room Tip: DO take a torch for the lane.
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
7  Thank GaryClarkson
Reviewed 20 October 2010

After a disastrous 2009 holiday to Egypt, (go to Sharm El Sheik if you enjoy haggling over a bottle of water that was far cheaper the day before and can put up with street beggars / sellers) I decided to return to Skiathos in 2010, for a third holiday.
On both previous occasions, I've stayed at the Amalia Apartments. This time I was holidaying by myself, but previously have been to Amalia with a girlfriend and once with a mate. This time it was me with 2 books and some P & Q!
Peace and quiet - let's start here firstly. I live and work in London, so a holiday for me needs to be a place to unwind and relax. Amalia is set within an established pine forest, accessed via a partially made meandering road (2 mins gentle stroll whilst inhaling the pine forest) leading to wrought iron entrance gates. Setting the scene? Well I can only say that I'm not doing it justice!
This time I had an apartment with a balcony, but have had a ground floor terrace on a previous occasion . Either is fine, but my preference is a balcony. The rooms are traditionally decorated in a medittorainian style with an open plan kitchen area, shower room and living / bedroom area. The kitchen has wall and base units, cooker with hot ring, kettle, toasted sandwich maker (great for nutella sandwiches) various cups, plates and cutlery . I'm no Jamie Oliver whilst on holiday, so this is more than adequate. A team of cleaners will polish the room every other day and return it to a fine buff.
The pool is cleaned daily and surrounded by well kept communal gardens. Their are a good range of sun loungers and side tables. The pool has steps into the water, which for me after 4 knee operations is a nicer alternative than an undignified grapple with the side of a pool on exit!
George and Otis manage the complex and bar. They are very personable to all guests, and have good English communication skills. Aside from a wide range of spirits, the bar offers sky TV, and on special occasions (world cup) a viewing screen is up. You can either sit up at the bar and enjoy the music, (requests available!) or relax with the family using one of the many tables. A large brick built BBQ is also available if you fancy knocking something up. Personally I prefer to sit on a bar stool and chat with the hosts / holiday makers, but the choice will be yours.
Koukanaires beach is regarded as the best beach on the island. Beautiful sandy beaches with deckchairs available to rent, (5 euros a day) and clear, warm sea water. The waves don't crash in, so surfing is out of the question, but will leave you feeling more comfortable when the children are paddling. The usual water sports are available (banana's, rings etc) but not being driven by nutters who couldn't care less about health and safety. I spent a week poolside (base tan) and then hit the beach to get the mahogany look!
The High Street is at the end of the partially made road, and consists of a two grocery stores, a few restaurants and the same number of bars. Also a private medical centre. Also a bus stop which will take you into Skiathos Town centre in 15 minutes. If you are looking for a big night out with loud bars / clubs etc, then best bet is head into town.
For me, something to eat in a local restaurant and a few beers after a long day of catching the sun is perfect.
I’ve been heading to Greece / Greek islands for 20 years now, and the one thing that I do know is the Greeks generally like the Brits. In my opinion this isn’t the case for the Spanish. I whole heartedly would recommend holidaying in Skiathos, and would also suggest Amalia. You wont be disappointed! Keep up the good work, make sure the sun shines and see you in 11’

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank tmw1j
Reviewed 19 October 2010

Yet again this year we went to the Amalia apartments for our 2 week holiday, when we arrived it was as if we hadn't been away. we were welcomed by the staff as warmly as relatives, which is good because we now think of the Amalia as our second home.It wasn't long before we were swapping stories about the island and the apartments with those who had been there a week and the other newcomers. the apartments have not changed, they are very basic but adequate there is not a lot to do during the day apart from sunbathe by the pool or on one of the 60 or so beaches- koukounaries being my favourite. George the owner still has the cheapest bar on the island and Otis his brother can conjour up almost any cocktail you can think of and play 99.9% of all music requests.About once or twice a week George will organise a party quiz night, BBQ, film, or just a fun night. Some guests do not appreciate others having fun and enjoying themselves on holiday and luckily these people do not come back but it ensures that when we do go we always see people who we have met before and other repeat visitors in fact there is an unofficial fan group called the Amalia gang who go at least twice per year. SO if you want a friendly holiday with lots of memories and new friends then go to the Amalia and if you want a quiet holiday to keep yourself to yourself and be a total bore then stay away and make room for more party people

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank judasdingle
Reviewed 18 October 2010

My room was cleaned thoroughly and regularly with clean towels every day. I am lucky enough to have had the same apartment for a number of years looking over the pool and garden which was lovely as I tend to sit on the terrace and watch all the other guests having a good time.

This year, though my own fault I sustained an injury which made it impossible for me to leave my apartment for three days. The staff were so kind and kept checking to see if I was ok and even took me to the hospital twice, at their own expense.

Amalia is, to me, like going home. My late husband and I loved the peace afforded by the location and the 'bon hommie' given to us by all the staff. Since my husband died I've continued to visit Amalia as I feel so safe and know that I will be well cared for.

I've booked Amalia for next year which will be my eighth visit. I can't think of anywhere else I would rather be

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank jane_carter2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Koukounaries
Skiathos Palace Hotel
#1 of 6 in Agia Paraskevi
Paradise Hotel
Paradise Hotel
#1 of 1 in Katsarou

Been to Amalia Apartments? Share your experiences!