“Excellent B&B”

Ranked #1 of 2 Bruff B&B and Inns
Denver, CO
“Excellent B&B”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed 3 days/nights at the Old Bank and had a great time there. The room was fabulous (Mariam gave us a free upgrade) and the breakfasts were exceptionally good. They also had gluten free bread and cereal for the wife and they had Soya (Soy) milk (make sure to request this ahead of time). The decor in the sitting room is beautiful and the fireplace is a welcome site on a cool night.

We had a good time in Bruff and the surrounding area, especially visiting Lough Gor and other archeological sites (the Stone Circle) in the area. Mariam and her husband were especially kind to help us with the transportation when possible and went the extra mile for us several times.

The store next door (EuroSpar) was a good source of snacks for gluten free and soya diets and we were able to make our own lunches to take with us for our daily excursions. We also liked Glynn's Fish and Chips place just down the street (on the same side), it had the best onion rings and cheeseburger I've ever had. Nothing like Irish beef!

We had a great time at the Old Bank and really appreciate all the extra fine service Mariam provided us.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
brufflady, Owner at The Old Bank Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Thank you Julio & Star for taking the time to review our home

We offer a very large selection of gluten free foods as my daughter too is a coeliac. I only need advance notice if someone is lactose intolerant also as I like to provide as much alternatives as possible as I appreciate how strict these diets can be.

Its with regret that I didint get to say good bye, as my daughter was admitted to hospital for 2 days, but my husband assured me that he looked after you both.

I hope that someday we will meet again,

Miriam & family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Rhode Island
Reviewed 9 September 2013

A Hidden Gem in Bruff

On a recent trip across Ireland, my wife, son and I had the pleasure of staying at The Old Bank B&B in Bruff. This B&B was a truly unique stay, different than any of the other B&B’s we had spent time in over the course of our weeks’ vacation. The converted bank has been perfectly remodeled into a beautiful and charming Inn. Each room has its own unique qualities and all seemed very spacious. High ceilings, large Jacuzzi tubs, large rooms and windows. The entire Inn was beautifully decorated and the owner, Miriam, was nothing but a fantastic hostess during our stay.

We had arrived in town about an hour early, check-in is not until 6pm, but Miriam was nothing but accommodating. We knew that we were a bit early and were happy to head out on the town for a bit, but Miriam took the time to get us checked in and to our room. We had the great pleasure of meeting a few of her children, most notably a fine young man named Patrick. Patrick is 6 years old and a wonderful young boy, who after we settle to our room he had most politely come up to see if our son would like to play in the back yard with him. The two had a great time while my wife and I got things together and washed up for dinner.

Miriam is a wealth of knowledge about the town and suggestions for travel across Ireland. She certainly has the gift of gab and it was a great deal of fun to talk with her about the town, the Inn, Ireland in general and just life in general. You truly are missing out if you don’t take the time to have a little conversation with her. It was also great to have her show us the Inn and describe how her and her husband renovated and converted it into the wonderful Inn it is today. You can also see pictures showing how it looked prior to the renovations, which gives some perspective to the tremendous work that has been done.

BREAKFAST
I have to say that the breakfast at The Old Bank had to have been the best we had all trip. Perfectly done Full Irish Breakfast, with amazing rashers and sausage from her husband’s butcher shop. Absolutely the best we had all week!! Miriam is a tornado of a woman, flying around to service all, handling all questions and requests and all with a smile.

PARKING
We did find that on street parking in Bruff is not difficult to come by, but at The Old Bank there is private off street parking in the back of the Inn. There is an ally/tunnel next to the building to access. Be careful as it is very narrow, but it is not much different than many of the country roads in Ireland :)

AROUND TOWN
Bruff is a great little town of only around 700 families. Take the time to walk around and talk with the locals. We met several very interesting people and learned so much about the town and its history. There is a beautiful church at the top of the street and to the other end another near the small pond. There are a few options for food, a couple of pubs (of course); Chinese across the street from the Inn, Fish and Chips Take Away and a more fine dining experience just up the road at The Bakehouse. But the place to stop for a pint and some good conversation is Howards. There you will find Mary, whose family has owned and run this pub for 60 years. It is very small, can’t be larger than 10’x12’ when you first walk in, with a slightly larger seating area in the back. The main bar area can seat maybe three at the bar with a few smaller seats around. Not sure anyone other than Mary can actually fit behind the bar, it is that small. We spent some time here just for a good pint and conversation and we met several locals who were so very friendly and fun to talk with. Definitely stop in if you have a chance.

We cannot wait to return and spend a few extra days at The Old Bank.

Room Tip: Any room at the front of the B&B. This will give a great view of the street in this wonderful li...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank PocketClam
Wow is all I can Say!

I had to read it twice - I dont believe anyone has ever taken the trouble to give such a comperhensive view of my home or town and Im amazed and so thankful that you did.

Patirck my son is delighted that his on the computure and I really do hope I get to welcome you all to our home again

Our fondest Wishes

Bathurst, Australia
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My friend and I made a last minute booking at the Old Bank in Bruff out of desperation - we could not find a twin room anywhere in the south of Ireland it seemed. What a happy turn of events for us - Bruff (which we'd never heard) of was friendly and pretty, and as it turned out, conveniently located not far from Limerick. Miriam is a ball of energy, and so very lovely. There was a mix up with our booking.com booking where our request for a twin room didn't get through. Even though Miriam was fully booked (and we arrived before the check in time) she managed to not only get us into a room early, but a twin one at that (the room had a double and single bed - both very comfortable). The room was beautifully appointed and the ensuite had a jacuzzi bath (which would have been nice to relax in, had we had more time). We parked our hire car on the street across the road from the B&B. After we'd checked in Miriam gave us the low down on where to eat and drink in town - advice that saw us spend an excellent evening with the very friendly locals. In the morning Miriam served a fantastic breakfast, with meat products prepared by her husband, a butcher. It was delicious. Wi-fi is available in the guest lounge (where there was a lovely roaring fire and beautiful leather lounges) and there is also a PC with an Internet connection upstairs for guest use. I would not hesitate to recommend this B&B to anyone - Miriam's hard work in running the place shows. If I ever have the good fortune to be in that part of the world again, I would book at the Old Bank (directly, not using a third party - just to be sure!) for a couple of nights, using Bruff as my base to explore Ireland's south west.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you Girls for taking the time to write such a lovely review

You are correct in saying book our home on www.theoldbank.ie directly when staying 2 or more nights in order to recieve discounts as we do not give discount package to third party sites as the commission is so high on each booking recieved.

Im delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and it was a delighted to welcome you to our home

Hopefully the opportunity presents it self again for you to stay with us and till then fond farwells

Nottingham
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We came back to Miriam's Bank again this year.I'm not sure what anyone could want more from a B&B than is provided here.Warm,cosy,friendly and homely go some way to describe the sense of feeling exhuming from this wonderful place.The local scenery,especially around Lough Gur has to be seen: just beautiful!,and the friendliest locals around.

I'm sure we will return again soon.

Marc,Clare and the kiddies.

Room Tip: A family room for four,with enough room to swing a cat,and a jacuzzi bath!.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you Clare, Marc and Kiddies for taking the time to review our home.

I delighted to say we love to welcome back again and again and i hope next time that I'm fitter for the hurling match and wont conceed on the 5th goal! Till next time fond farewells from me and the kids.
Brick, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 August 2013

From check-in to check-out, The Old Bank exceeded my expectations in every way. We came earlier than the check in time, but Miriam, the friendly and charming owner checked us in with no hesitation anyway. She gave us a warm welcome and gave us great information about things to do and where to go for food and drink, in the area. We had 3 people in our party and we were pleasantly surprised to find 3 beds in our room. The room was beautiful, spacious and up to date. The beds were warm and the pillows were soft. The town is quaint, about 20 minutes outside Limerick city, but is only 5 minutes away from amazing old ruins on beautiful park grounds, which we found amazing to visit. Breakfast in the morning was delicious! Highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: High vaulted ceilings with skylights on top floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Im delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. If we are advised in advance some room will take an additional bed if not prebooked. We pride ourselfs in knowing what our guests have seen on there trip and offering many suggestions to ensure you get the most from your holiday.

Springfield, Virginia
Reviewed 17 August 2013

On Main Street in a small town, the Old Bank B&B was in a convenient location outside of Limerick. Our room was well appointed and quiet. Miriam was very accommodating, highly energetic, quite the conversationalist, and a font of knowledge on where to spend our limited touring hours. We certainly would stay again.

Be sure to visit the Morning Star Park at the south end of town. Bring treats for the ducks!

Room Tip: We stayed in the back of the B&B with a free internet computer right outside our door.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our Home

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and Im delighted to saw that we now have wifi access in all the bedrooms.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you to our home.

West Terre Haute
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This was a nice place to stay....a little out of the way for my taste, but the accommodations were great....would have liked a lobby that was open during the day or at least more on call than it was. I loved that the breakfast was a mix of self-serve and menu. Food was amazing....especially the brown bread.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
brufflady, Owner at The Old Bank Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Hi Todd & Family

Thank you for review, Our Home has always someone present from our Check in time of 6pm through out the night. You arrived especially late at night with your young kids at 11.30pm and naturaly I allowed ye straight to your rooms to go to sleep. ( even family members were rining me from america) We offer a very competive prices of B&B for 2 Adults & 2 kids with breakfast for E89.00

Our Check out time is 11am and I came to your rooms after 12 and You stayed in our home till nearly 1pm, It is common pratice in any B&B for the owner to Leave the house after the Guest have checked out, rooms etc are cleaned to run errans etc - All the time you were in my home I was present, Cleaning the breakfast area or the other rooms. As this is a Family home, I manage all aspects of the house from meeting, greeting, reservations, cooking and Cleaning etc. and can not offer any later checkouts that what you had.

Im delighted you enjoyed our accommodation & Breakfast and hope that the above response makes more sences to you.

Miriam & Family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bruff
Fitzgerald's Woodlands House Hotel
#12 of 20 in Limerick
Woodfield House Hotel
Woodfield House Hotel
#11 of 20 in Limerick

Been to The Old Bank Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!