“Excellent staff, great atmosphere, but a bit noisy”
Review of Hotel Swalibo

Hotel Swalibo
Sydney
“Excellent staff, great atmosphere, but a bit noisy”
Reviewed 11 December 2010

To tell you up front, my partner and I booked our room at a very low price, and I believe that we probably got the cheapest room in the compound, so please bear this in mind when I describe the hotel - other rooms were in much better locations.
The hotel is basically built around a small but very nice swimming pool - you cross little walkways and bridges to get to your rooms which are on the three of the four sides of the pool. The fourth side is the reception area and an excellent restaurant. You can laze away a whole day by just lying on one of the couches at the pool, order a cocktail every now and then and then finish your day with a fantastic meal.
Staff are extremely friendly and helpful, and speak enough English to get a conversation going.
I've seen a few reviews say that the beach is only 5 min away, but you'd have to walk at quite a determined pace to manage that. I think 10 minutes is more honest, but it doesn't feel very far.
Rooms are fairly standard: small bathroom, good king-sized bed, TV, table and chair. They are quite clean, and the odd ants or bugs you find are simply because you are on a tropical island, I don't think we had any hotels where we didn't find a few of those :-)
The only negative thing I would like to say was that because of the way the hotel is constructed, everybody is at the mercy of the other guests when it comes to sleep. If some of them stay up late and talk loudly in the open restaurant, you will hear that in your room. If you're a light sleeper, I would not recommend this place. Also, as mentioned earlier on, our room was located in a place where everybody who lived on the first floor had to get past our door, and that caused a lot of noise.

Conclusion: I think because of the design of the place, you're a little more at the mercy of the other guests' behaviour than I would like, but the very nice style, and the great staff, and the wonderful restaurant make up for this shortcoming.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sardionerak

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London
Reviewed 19 January 2010

We stayed at Swalibo hotel in December for New Year's Eve and we had a great stay (10 days). The service is ideal and discrete. The hotel is very nice, cozy and quiet. The restaurant is very good and the menu changes every day. The beach which is 5 minutes walking distance is very nice even though the beach restaurant is a bit overpriced (Planch'Alizé). I know it is mentioned in some comments that there are bugs at night in the room and I nearly cancelled my reservation when I saw that but I haven't seen one bug in the room nor the whole hotel for 10 days and it was the humid and hot season! No doubt I would recommend. The owner, Mr Picaut, is very friendly and his team is careful to the clients wellbeing. Great experience, great people, fantastic island!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
#2 of 19 in Saint-Gilles-Les-Bains
Akoya Hotel & Spa
Akoya Hotel & Spa
#4 of 5 in La Saline les Bains

Been to Hotel Swalibo? Share your experiences!