“Perfect position”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Eftalou
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Perfect position”
Reviewed 22 September 2012 via mobile

The hotel position perfect the hotel staff all so friendly and welcoming the cleanliness of the hotel again spotless all the pools cleaned everyday along with all the surrounding areas you could not wish a nicer place with any amenity needed . A couple of moans but not really enough to warrant a complaint with the tour operator 1 the food could be counted as a little bland with a few more herbs and spices it would be so much better 2. All the advertisement showed a flat screen tv and jacuzzi baths in all rooms which is not the case (probably a little petty in my part) 3 and the worst in my view dont expect the local rep to turn up could not be bothered to attend the hotel during our 2 week stay he could only be counted as pretty useless so dont expect much from him . Apart from that a wonderful time with wonderful staff in a fantastic setting just dont rely on the thomas cook rep

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank richJay

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I spent a week in this hotel and i was a bit disappointed. I spent way more money on the hotel this year than i did before in Greece, since i wanted it to be a bit more special... The hotel has a beautiful location with great view of Turkey, it's about 25 minutes walk to Molyvos, plus they have a free mini bus service that goes to Molyvos 4 times a day. It has 2 big pools and 2 small ones for kids, lots of sunbeds, a pool bar and a beach that we didn't use. There's also a spa (5euros per day), which has one outdoor pool with 2 jacuzzies and one pool inside (plus saunas and gym) which nobody uses in this hot weather. But it's only open from 11am till 18pm. The hotel was fully booked when we were there and there were lots of families with small kids, so you have to expect lots of them running around and jumping in pools, sometimes even in the spa :)
The rooms were quite a disappointment... beds were not very comfortable, pillows very hard, the tv was the smallest i've ever seen, the bathroom also small, plus it said in the brochure that we got from our travel agency, that it has a hairdrier and a jacuzzi bath, which it didn't have. There's no sound isolation, so you can literally hear everything that goes on in the hallways and in the rooms next to you, plus the doors are pretty hard to close, so it always makes a lot of noise. The rooms were cleaned every day, but they only changed the towels once... even if we put it on the floor, they didn't change it, just left it there.
We had AI, so we usually had all our meals in the hotel... there was always enough to choose from, specially a big salad bar... but it all pretty much tasted the same and the food was very oily... the last three days i couldn't anything else but pasta. The desserts were the same everyday, sometimes there was also a watermelon. I must say the food was the biggest disappointment. The amazing view from the restaurant that you can enjoy while eating sort of makes it up :)
There are also snacks (popcorn and toasts) and ice-cream at the pool bar, and the drinks (water, local soft drinks, beer, local wine and ouzo) are also free if you have AI package, which is great, since there's no market nearby.
All in all, we had a nice holiday, i just felt like we didn't get what we paid for.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kovacpetra
new york, NY
Reviewed 11 August 2012 via mobile

My husband and I spent 4 nights at Alkaios last week and unfortunately, I have mixed feelings about the place. Let me start with the good stuff. The place is very nicely done with a lot of marble and tasteful furniture and comfortable sofas around. The room we had, although a bit small, was very nice with plenty of room to store clothing, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom with a jacuzzi tub and marble walls was very, very nice. The pools were very nice and even the rocky beach was a wonderful plus to the complex.
Food and drinks were plentiful, to the point that if you take advantage of all the snacks and happy hour offerings you will gain weight! The hotel is very closed to Molyvos, I understand they have a shuttle, that we didn't use because we had a car. It is also closed to the Eftalou Hot Springs that you should visit!!!
However, the place, I believe is way understaffed and people looked overworked. The food, as I said before was plentiful, but bland, and except for breakfast we skipped most meals. On a Sunday, our room was not done, when I enquired about, I was told that they don't do rooms on Sunday!!! On another day, the room was not done until 2pm. I requested an extra pillow, and it took over an hour to get it. They charged for pool towels. I took a look at the spa area, and it was so desolated that felt spooky, so I have not comments about that area because I just walked away.
Also, if you are looking for a quiet place, think twice before booking Alkaios, there are a lot of families with children, so it's noisy.

All and all, we had a good time, but it if the service would have being better we would have enjoyed more.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Icventure
Birkenhead, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We have just had 2 weeks at this hotel it was fantastic the food was great the rooms very clean and clean towels everyday the staff was friendly, cannot understand why anyone has complained. I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for a fantastic holiday

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank pauline327
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We have just got back from a two week stay at the Alkaios and thought it was fantastic. Our room had the best view in the whole hotel, with two balconies, one overlooking the sea and the other the pool. The room was kept spotless throught our stay and towels/bedding was changed regularly. The food seems to be something that a lot of people have previously complained about, god knows why! We thought it was excellent, there was plenty to choose from, five different main courses for dinner and four for lunch. There was just about every dish on the salad bar that you could think of and there was also at least five hot side dishes. Desert always included water melon and a choice of at least seven different types of cake. Free drinks of wine, ouzo, beer and all the soft drinks was plenty for us and the free ice cream at the pool was delicious. The swimming pools were both warm and there were plenty of sunbeds for everyone. We didn't visit the spa, we didn't feel any need to as the other facilities were great. Just a step down from the bottom pool was the sea and the snorkelling was great, we even saw an octopus! The hotel staff were all very friendly. Walk to Molyvos was about 25min and an easy walk, nothing too strenuous. All in all we had a great holiday and would definitely recommend this hotel to others

Room Tip: We requested a high floor and paid for a sea view, well worth it!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank julie g
istanbul
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed there 3 nights and enjoyed the stay thoroughly. The staff is very friendly and extremely helpful.
The beach turned out to be better than our expectations as we had read some very negative reviews about it. The sea is so clean that you feel like drinking it.
We had not taken an all- inclusive plan because we like having food elsewhere. We just had breakfast at the hotel and i think that is their only weak point...

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank nebalet
Den Bosch, The Netherlands
Reviewed 30 June 2012

* ROOM : our room was cleaned properly every day. The beds were a bit firm but we slept well on them. When we put a towel on the bathroom floor it was replaced. Enough room to put your clothes etc. AMAZING seaview. Only one complaint: the locks make quite some noise when your neighbors close their doors.
* BUFFET : in the morning I'm usually not very hungry so I don't eat that much, but the lunch and dinner buffets (Greek buffet) were very good. The salads were super fresh. The tzaziki was the best I had in years. Every day different meat/fish/pasta or a dish like stuffed aubergines, moussaka etc. Lovely Greek deserts! And thumbs up for Christos the chef, always doing his very best to make sure there is enough to eat for everyone.
(A note to the critics: when you make a buffet with dishes that have to stay warm, it's all about finding a balance to keep the food warm AND prevent it from drying out. I have no complaints about the temperature of the food I had. Also, don't compare it to those immense buffets you had at those immense resorts in Krete or Turkey. It's no comparison really. This is a hotel, not a 5 star resort, so adjust your expectations and be a bit more flexible!)
* POOLS : There are several pools of which I have used two. The best was the wellness pool of course! It had all kinds of gadgets which I loved. And yes, I payed the 5 euro's. And I didn't mind. You know why? It's called a wellnesspool. If it was an open area and a whole bunch of other guests were there and plunging in the pool and kids screaming etc, it would be a REGULAR pool. I enjoyed the fact that it was a bit more private this way.
* BEACH : this side of the coastline doesn't really have a sandy beach, so it's weird that people kind of expect it. It's called nature. There is a section that has some sand and an amazing view of Turkey. And when you go down the steps you can go for a swim in the sea.
* DRINKS : I had enough drinks to choose from that were included. I had no problem paying for my cocktails. I am glad it's not an ultra-inclusive hotel, that would mean lots of drunk people there, with the problems that come with drunks. I had so much fun sitting at the bar. Manos, the bartender, has a very good sense of humor! :)
* STAFF : every single person was very nice and always willing to help or chat for a bit.
* LOCATION : The hotel is situated in Eftalou and has the most amazing view on the Turkish coast. There's not much to do in the near surroundings, except going for a walk or the Hot Springs, so it's best to either rent a scooter/car/call a cab or just enjoy the peace and quietness of this place. A taxidrive to Methymna/Molivos costs 5 euro.
CONCLUDING: I had an amazing stay at the Alkaios hotel. If I'd ever return to Lesbos, I would definitely stay here again. If you're looking for the authenticity of one of the most interesting Greek Islands, go to Lesbos. I personally have gotten to LOVE Lesbos, especially after hearing about it's fascinating history and the impressive resilience the Lesbos people have proven to have. I have such great respect. If you don't care about the history, nature, people, etc you should probably go to those massive tourist resorts in Crete or Rhodes.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Nora v
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eftalou
Aphrodite Hotel
#3 of 7 in Skala Kallonis
Malemi Organic Hotel
Malemi Organic Hotel
#4 of 7 in Skala Kallonis

Been to Viva Mare Hotel? Share your experiences!