I am in Alkaios hotel right now and I can tell you that those bad reviews (that almost put me off when booking) are absolute rubbish. Let me explain why (I will share now some quick impressions and come back with another review after the whole stay at the hotel) :
1. First of all, the entire hotel is excelently placed right on the seafront. Unlike 99% accomodations on Lesbos (and on most greek islands), which have a road (in most cases that's the main road!) between them and the beach, Alkaios is actually a beach hotel. This is very important for families with small kids but also for anyone who doesn't like to watch and listen the cars passing by all day long.
2. The architecture is beautiful, the terrain is very well used and from the rooms and the restaurant you overlook the pools, palm trees and the sea (a splendid little gulf). The very criticized (in some reviews) beach is actually small and cozy and PRIVATE, the water is clean and the algae brought by the sea are far from being a nuisance. (at least in this period)
3. The distance from the hotel parking to the parking in Molyvos (where you have to leave your car anyway) is exactly 1600m on the road, measured by me with my car's odometer. From there you have another 200m to the main commerical road in the town. Granted, it's not going to be a pleasant walk if you do it in the blazing heat of the afternoon but it's actually quite nice in the evening. Most important, there is a sidewalk on one side so you're not going to risk to be runned over by cars. Also the hotel offers free rides on a bus 4 times a day.
4. Whoever said that the food can't be eaten must either have some interest in downplaying the services offered by the hotel or have totally unrealistic expectations from an accomodation in this price range. As we speak, the rates on booking.com for a double room with seaview in Alkaios in mid July (full season) are 60 euros with breakfast included and 79 euros with all inclusive. That means you pay an extra of 9.5 euros per person (and nothing for a kid up to 12 years who stays in an extra bed) for lunch and dinner plus drinks, snacks, icecream and so on). No one who has at least above average intelect will expect free cocktails and spirits in this price range.
As a matter of fact the food is better then expected (as I said, the bad reviews almost put me off when I was making the booking). The tzatziki is one of the best I've eaten in the whole Greece (and I've visited most of Greece) and generaly speaking the greek courses are well made and tasty. Again, I'm not someone with low expectations (you can check my other reviews) but you need to be mentally challenged to expect fresh srimps at 9.5 euros/person/day for the difference from all inclusive to breakfast only.
5. I have a very good eye for details and indeed if you go on hollyday to check out if the repairmen placed well the silicone on the bath tub joints you're going to be disappointed in Alkaios. Someone like me would probably need 10 minutes in order to take 20 photos that, if posted here, would make everyone believe that the hotel is a ruin. HOWEVER these are absolutelly minor details that only someone with serious issues would pay attention to while being on his summer vacation. When staying in Alkaios you need to see the bigger picture, not that unscrewed handle of one of the drawers in the room.
The hotel is NOT falling apart as some people suggested here and on booking.com, the pools are clean and well maintained, the rooms are nice and clean. All the shortcomings (except for one) mentioned here are just MINOR details that can be fixed within minutes.
The ONLY thing that the hotel needs to replace asap are the doors. The locking mechanisms got upgraded (with card, self locking, shock absorbers and so on) but the doors are plain wood and offer minimal soundproofing. In real life this ammounts to the guests hearing the mechaninsm of the neighbouring rooms closing quite loud.
Good thing is that the people currently in Alkaios are not the agitated type that enter the rooms at odd hours during the night, but if you're a light sleeper you're definitelly going to wake up when the most matinal neighbour exits his room.
Generaly speaking I'd say that Alkaios offers excelent value for money, at least when booked directly or trough booking.com. Maybe the people who were complaning so bad got ripped off by some travel agencies...
Will be back with more details after the end of my hollyday.
P.S. DEFINITELLY get sea view rooms. The pic is taken from the balcony of my room, between the palm trees you can see two of the pools.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel “Alkaios” one of the best hotels in the island of Lesvos, is situated 1,4 kilometres from the ancient village of Molyvos, 1,2 kilometres from the hot springs of Eftalou, and 4 kilometres from the harbour of Petra. It has its own private beach of about two hundred twenty metres long, six swimming-pools (two of those ideal for children), and twenty three square meters of surrounding area, with two playgrounds, two lounge areas, restaurant and bars. The upgraded services plus the superb location of the hotel, combined with a dramatic view of the Aegean Sea, qualifies it as the best choice for enjoying your vacations, vacations that you will never forget.Room descriptionAll rooms are equipped with anatomic beds with double layer mattresses (soft-hard), and have balconies that offer an amazing view of the Aegean sea, or of the garden. Furthermore, all rooms are equipped with all technological facilities such as: A/C, T.V., D.V.D., wirelless Internet Access, telephone, and doors with magnetic lock.All bathrooms are made of marble, with hidden lighting,and some of them are equipped with Jacuzzi bathtubs, or hydro-massage columns that will offer you moments of relaxation in your personal space. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Viva Mare Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Viva Mare Hotel Lesbos/Eftalou, Greece