“Great hotel in a stunning location”

Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Agios Gordios
Reviewed 4 November 2011

We stayed in the hotel from 7th to 14th October 2011. The hotel setting is stunning and the veiws from the rooms were the best I have ever had. The food was good, entertainment good and staff were excellent. The only downside were the wasps which made time around the pool with any sugary drink difficult and also the temperature of the pool (it can't have been more than 16 degrees centigrade). Still the hotel was so good that it more than made up for these minor faults.

1  Thank Emily S
There are newer reviews for Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort

Reviewed 31 October 2011

Me and my friend have just returned from this hotel after staying here for a 5day break. The hotel is lovely, food is fantastic i still havn't got on the scales as im a bit worried after stuffing my face with the amazing cakes i consummed in a day. The staff were fantastic especially the waitresses, they are warm, loving and make u feel so welcome, very hard working indeed! Fair play to the bar man that had to work with all those wasps on the beach bar but i suppose its something you get use to. The beach is gorgeous,clean and the sea is beautiful, its clear and u can see fish swimming round your feet. Only downfall i have is this hotel is for couples and not much to do for the younger generation I.E clubs.We went more for a chill holiday and thats exactly what we did, so if your looking for an excurtion packed holiday this isn't really the place to go, as its more for chilling! View from our room was out of this world, over looking the sea,unbeatable! Our room was very close to the bar and was really noisy at night time from the entertainment, but it finished at 11pm so wasn't too bad.The entertainment i thought was very poor and boring not for young people at all! On a whole a good holiday!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fliss H
Reviewed 30 October 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel from the 19th of October untill the 26th. I must say without a doubt that it was one of the best holidays I have been on! Beautiful location with lovely staff!
The only problems were the wasps and the pool not being hot, however before coming on this holiday i never liked the sea... I now love it! We swam in it every day and saw the lovely fish in the gorgeous clear waters.
I am so in love with the hotel and the staff, I will be back, and I cant wait untill that day comes!
Thanks so much for an amazing stay!!

4  Thank Danae M
Reviewed 30 October 2011

My daughter and I have just returned from a working week in Corfu and were lucky enough to stay at this hotel.I had booked this just as as a base and I knew that as it was the end of season lots of places would be closed, therefore I needed to know we would at least be able to have a somewhere to eat and sleep. I have stayed in many many hotels throughout the world and was not really expecting a lot to be quite honest. I very rarely write a review but I really feel this hotel needs some praise. All the staff were absolutely fantastic,polite,friendly and extremely helpful and they looked like they liked each other and worked as a team.there is free WIFI throughout the hotel which was fantastic(other hotels charge) A very special mention to the lady in the restaurant that made everyone feel so at home and to Philip in the restaurant for all his advice and help. The food was good and plentiful, the rooms were cleaned very well every day and the bar staff worked very hard and were always very pleasant despite being surrounded by wasps, which unfortunately happens and there isn't much that can be done about mother nature( I must apologise to all the staff for my terrible version of trying to say thank you in greek ) The pool was cold but thats only to be expected at this time of year and my only gripe really was the hot water would run out in the evenings when we most needed a shower! It was a shame the jacuzzi in the spa was broken but the lady who ran the spa was very good and she gave my daughter a fantastic back massage.We travelled the whole island during our stay,( thanks to Alex at Budget cars ) and I must say how pleased I was to see we were staying in one of the best locations on the island.The view is outstanding, the sea crystal clear and shallow and the sand soft and clean. I would definitely recommend this hotel and will hopefully return next year

Room Tip: rooms above the sun terrace
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank task09
Reviewed 30 October 2011

We spent a week in this hotel at the end of October 2011. The hotel is in an enviable location & the views are stunning. We were very lucky with the weather, we only had one day of rain, and were able to sit in the sun & swim in the sea most days. There are steps to the beach but we never saw anyone struggling to climb them. We did not have any issues getting a sunbed by the pool, there were always plenty available even though the hotel was full. Although the hotel was ready to close for the winter the level of service was still very good. The staff were always cheerful & happy to help with any request.The choice of food at all meal times was excellent & it was always possible to find something enjoyable to eat.
The 'All Inclusive' worked well for us. Being able to drink & eat all you want until late at night was sufficient for us. By 11pm we'd had enough to eat & drink. The nightly entertainment in the lobby bar was fine & to an acceptable standard.
The local resort is small & at this time of year most shops & bars were closed but a few remained open. We expected this so did not come as a surprise. We ventured in a few times mainly for the walk.
A couple of negatives but if you are forewarned then you should be able to deal with them.
Wasps are an issue, they were a nuisance when sitting by the pool. We have never seen so many. We cannot recall anyone being stung but they are certainly a distraction when you are trying to read or sunbathe.
We were in a bungalow & had a long hilly trek to & from the hotel every day. We managed & we were lucky that the weather was good as could be a problem in the rain. Not for the elderly.
Overall we had a very enjoyable week & would certainly return.

Reviewed 29 October 2011

Have just returned from wonderful 7 night break with my husband. Quick 20 minute transfer from the Airport. Quick and efficient check in. Lovely rooms all overlooking the sea. Some bungalows were a distance but buggies were available. Delicious meals - huge variety, much too tasty. Disagree strongly with a previous comment that complained about meals and drinks! Breakfast is until 10 am which if you want to enjoy your holiday is quite late enough, all inclusive drinks stop at 11pm problem? Not really! Only one word for all the staff - superb!
Beach sandy with lovely warm sea.Gorgeous walks locally to little villages along secret paths. Although it was the end of the season the local village shops had excellent souvenirs.
We had one wet morning, apart from that the weather was lovely, if we had been unlucky there was so much to do in the hotel that we were spolit for choice. The animations team - Athina, Jan Freidrich and Catherina were very good and we enjoyed dancing lessons, fitness and could have hand painted silk scarves etc!
Each evening we had live music to dance or listen to - both tradional and Greek. Each morning we walked along the beach or other walk then lunch then on the beach before cocktails and dinner.
Yes there are steps to the beach but my husband is nearly 60 with hip and knee problems and he had no trouble. Looking on it as an opportunity to strengthen the muscles. When a hotel is so perfectly positioned some steps are to be expected.
We had read about the wasps but at that time of year had no problems, however we have seen wasps throughout the island and they are not confined to one area.
There were plenty of sunbeds and we could always find one where we wanted one.
Only down side was orange juice was poor and charging for parasol and sunbeds on beach.
That said we had a wonderful holiday of excellent value for money and would go again, well done All!

Room Tip: Our room was overlooking the bar which at this time of the year was completely quiet with no rowdine...
2  Thank BiscuitHampshire
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Returned a couple of weeks ago after a wonderful holiday at this Hotel. The location is superb, having a lovely sandy beach at the foot of the Hotel, where swimming in the lovely warm clean sea was such a pleasure. The rooms in the hotel were very clean and spacious and the sea view from the balcony was breathtaking. Great food with plenty of choice and well presented with great friendly staff who always had a cheery word. The public areas were spotlessly clean and very nicely furnished. The walk to the nearest village was a little challenging but well worth the walk especially when a beer at Angela's Bar was accompanied by free tapas. Fantastic bar staff and the Tunnel bar was great to sit in and watch the waves lapping on the sea shore. Would go again certainly!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the sunbed area at the start of the walk to the Tunnel bar were quiet with a great...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
#3 of 11 in Corfu Town
Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa
Aeolos Beach Resort
Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel

Been to Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort? Share your experiences!