“Agios still gorgeous :)”

Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Agios Gordios
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Agios still gorgeous :)”
Reviewed 22 May 2013

This is our 3rd holiday at this hotel since September 2011 (and we have booked to go again in October this year) and it has become a home from home and we can't wait to return. The staff are all so welcoming and you feel they really want you to love the place and enjoy your holiday. The village is small but has everything we need. It is only a short walk along the beach or down the quiet road from the front of the hotel. We have previously been in September until this year when we went early in the season (10th - 17th May) - the weather was not quite wall to wall sunshine as had been in September but it was still lovely and warm - just slightly cooler in the evenings. The major difference was the beach - there had been high winds and the tide was very high (splashing right up against the Tunell Bar bringing lots of sea weed with it!) - in September there was a fairly large sandy beach in front of the beach bar so we will be interested to see if this is back in October! The beach to the right had also become very narrow so we tended to sit a bit further along the beach this time. This did not spoil our holiday though and we have come home relaxed and tanned as usual. Everything else is great - I wont repeat everything from our two previous reviews but everything is as it was in those and we hope everything stays the same - please dont change a thing we love this place!

4 Thank Cherrymc25
RDeimezi, Director of Operations at Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Thank you for your lovely comments!!! we are delighted that your 3rd stay with us was such a joy again. Aquis Agios Gordios Beach team work very hard to achieve their target of providing all our guests memorable holiday experiences. It gives us great pleasure to tell you that we also can’t wait to have you back!! .Until then, kindly accept our warmest regards!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (715)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2013

This is the third time we have had the pleasure of staying at this lovely location over a period of 10 years. We arrived on their first day of opening this year, The staff were most welcoming and couldn't do enough for us. The rooms had been upgraded since our last stay about five years ago, new furniture fixtures fittings etc. This time we had an all inclusive deal which was well worth it. The food was typical mediterranean with plenty of variety and the drinks in the deal were all good local stuff and plenty of choice
This hotel is at a fabulous location with a beautiful view along the beach with fantastic sunsets over the sea. The place is peaceful and a wonderful place to wind down and relax. We have only ever stayed here during May or September so can't really comment on how busy it is in high summer.
The village itself is a good downhill walk but a long slog uphill so people with walking difficulties should avoid as there are also a lot of stairs at the hotel and down to the beach.
The staff are very friendly and helpful;
an all round thoroughly enjoyable and comfortable holiday, where you can relax and enjoy your stay

2 Thank champs1_1
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We booked last minute with Thomson flying from Birmingham. We trusted the previous reviews on Trip Advisor and were not disappointed. The food was very good, the staff were pleasant and helpful, the room was clean and the balcony view was lovely. It was too noisy for us in the evenings but we coped, the entertainment was not to our taste, the daily activities were non existent. Beach was ok by the hotel, TOP TIP , beyond the black rock café the beach was deserted (May 2013). The snorkeling was good but be warned the sea was too rough on a few of the days and dead calm on the others so you need a bit of luck. I am available for questions just message me.

Room Tip: For a peaceful night stay away from the reception area
2 Thank seanpmcdonald
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

After booking this hotel, I was in some trepidation having read some rather dubious reviews, but all my doubts were unfounded. We had a lovely 11 days of total relaxation. Our room was very comfortable and the view from the balcony was amazing. We spent each day walking in the morning and then relaxing in the afternoon. The Pool Bar was a wonderful spot to anticipate lunch after our walking exercise and the Beach Bar became our place of total relaxation, as the waves crashed up against the rocks below... a pure piece of heaven.
The food was EXCELLENT and there was always a great choice. As a person with a nut allergy, I was delighted that there were so many desserts from which I could safely choose (NOT my experience from previous hotels!) There was always plenty of room and we never had to wait to get a table. The staff were friendly and efficient. (Thank goodness, we did so much walking and climbing stairs; it helped to keep the weight down!)
We enjoyed our evenings either sitting out on the terrace watching the amazing sunsets, or in the Lobby bar, enjoying the entertainment.
Going so early on in the season, we were aware that not everything would be available but were pleased to enjoy some good entertainment and by the time we left, the hotel was gearing up for the full season. We didn't feel we had missed out, though, having purposely chosen very early season for our break!
The staff were always friendly and helpful but not intrusive and very approachable. We will DEFINITELY be returning to this hotel for another "chill out" in the future!

7 Thank Katka_10
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for one week in early May- early season meant hot days with cooler nights, and we experienced some fantastic nighttime thunderstorms!

Generally the hotel was great. The rooms contain everything you need, air on is free but you pay extra for a safe ( about 3 Euros per day when we visited.) There is shampoo/shower gel/soap provided in dispensers which was reasonable quality so you don't need to bring your own. In addition, the hairdryer in the bathroom was one of the best I've ever used in a hotel! Pool/beach towels are also provided so again, you don't need to bring your own.

Hotel facilities were great, although not all open so early in the year. We loved the food- I'm vegan and my husband eats anything, we were both able to find plenty of delicious food every day. The all inclusive drinks are a bit watery, but we found chatting to the barman and asking for stronger servings always paid off pretty well!

The only downside to our visit was the service at reception. When we arrived we were told check in isn't till 3 (despit others in our party getting rooms straight away!) so bring something cool to change into to relax by the pool for several hours if you have an early flight. In addition, we found one woman on reception (long hair and quite a long face) really unhelpful- she actually gave us completely incorrect information on several occasions until we learnt to avoid her! My advice is if she's on the desk, whatever your query is, wait for the next person!!

We did the trip to Albania which was fascinating and went over to Corfu town in the evening which we really enjoyed. We would also recommend the cocktails at Ark, down on the beach- expensive but really, really good! All in all, this is a hotel we'll probably come back to, we had a really relaxing week and will recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed May 2013
5 Thank MrandMrs J
RDeimezi, Director of Operations at Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Thank you so much for selecting Aquis Hotels and Resorts and specifically Aquis Agios Gordios Beach for your holidays. We are very happy to hear that you overall had a relaxing week and that you would recommend our hotel to your friends, this is very much appreciated.
Allow me to apologize for the inconvenience caused upon your check in. Vital to the hotel operations are some time restrictions that purely have to do with the correct preparation and cleaning of rooms. Since 12 noon is the latest checkout time of an occupied room, we need a 3 hours gap in order our housekeeping to do the cleaning. Thus 3 pm is the official check in time, of course – as it was the case with the rest of your party- there are cases where previous guests leave early and this is giving us the opportunity to have those rooms ready earlier, our aim is to have all rooms ready upon guest’s arrival. Definitely it was not something personal and we once again apologize for that. Regarding the service at the reception, we have already forward your comments on the front office manager and we will make sure to get a report on this concern, we are sorry for providing you with incorrect information and we will get more details on that as soon as possible. We once again that you for selecting Aquis Hotels and Resorts and we will be very glad to see you again at any Aquis Resort!
manchester
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Returned from a weeks holiday at this hotel on 10 May. For us it was a late booking only booked 2 weeks prior - half board for £270 each with Thomsons. I think for that we got value for money but Thomsons original price was £467 each and if I had paid that I would have been seriously disappointed. All in all it felt like the hotel was not ready for the guests yet the hotel was very very busy. The beach bar was still under construction and a very flimsy wooden walkway had been erected so that guests could get to the next beach as the original one had been washed away. It led to an adequate beach for sunbathing and had about 40 sunbeds on it - this will do I thought - the sunbeds were really dirty and there was a guy coming round with a brush and seawater giving them a bit of a clean. I can cope with that not a problem - this was where I was going to spend most of my days until the sea came up and washed this beach away!!!! I went down there with all my stuff and all the beds had been washed up and were all over the place and the sea grass had been washed up and was stuck to all the beds. I found one I could use fully expecting someone from the hotel to come and clear things up but they never did it was like that for 5 days and was still the same on the day we left. Real shame.
Food was good but could have been a lot hotter. The selection was good as most nights I was spoiled for choice - oh and the cakes omg unfortunately they were delicious!!!!
We never stayed for the entertainment - preferred to have an ice cold Mythos on our balcony and watch the spectacular sun go down. We got our Mythos from the supermarket in the village - 3.80 euros for 4 x 500ml cans - put them in the fridge and crack one open when you return from a hot day out - sit on your private balcony - bliss.
If the hotel had been fully functional (beach and entertainment) I think the only criticism would be that it is a bit shabby in places - nowhere near a 4 star standard in UK. With regards to all the steps and steep hills there are lots of them but a lady I spoke to was walking up the steps from the beach with a walking stick and said she had recently had a knee replacement - another elderly gentleman I saw preferred to go backwards down the steps - what I am trying to say is that it is do-able even if you are elderly and to be honest it is good exercise when you have been eating all those gorgeous cakes at dinner!! My 83 year old mother would be able to do it easily.
Clean room - nice clean towels every day - kettle with refills of coffee tea milk and sugar every day - TV and DVD (hotel had no dvd;s not been delivered yet) - air conditioning which was free - great hairdryer - beach towels (10 euros deposit) these were all nice touches and helped keep the weight of the luggage down!!
Had a trip to Corfu Town on the limited bus timetable!! Only 2 buses a day increasing to 3 later in the week - or so it was rumoured lol - it was great in Corfu Town there are loads and loads of shops (not my thing) but the architecture is Venetian and very pretty reminded me of Rome. Two fortresses to explore - 3 euros to get in one and 4 in the other. Some fab views and took loads of photos there. Got the bus at 9-15 and returned on the 2-30 bus. Cost 2.20 each way and was well worth it.
The weather during the time we were there was fabulous - had a little tiny bit of rain on one day and a great thunder and lightning storm one night - rest of time great. Loads of sunbeds and the hotel was very busy - I don't know if it was full but there were always beds available.
Would I go back - yes probably if there was a good deal on but I definitely would not pay the going price as I really feel it is over priced. Perhaps if you like to be entertained at night it is for you and of course that will be included in the price but it's not my thing - bingo every night at 8.30 erm no thanks!!
I love Corfu it is very green and luscious and the people are really friendly.but then I love all the Greek islands.
All in all it was an enjoyable holiday and as I said previously was happy with what we paid for what we got.

Room Tip: we were on 1st floor and the view was great - lots of reviews say get a room higher up - this would...
3 Thank jjenj
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property, your comments are very much valued. We really appreciate your comments regarding among others, the cleanness of the rooms, the spectacular views and of course the taste of our desserts!!

It is true that just prior to your arrival date mentioned there were some heavy winds that made the beach area untidy but we made every effort to bring this in normal condition again, you experienced yourself that this has happened also during your stay, it is evident that nature is stronger that we think sometimes.

Regarding your star rating feedback, it is true that the star categories in each country defer, and certainly many guest have different experiences from various hotels ie different rating in UK than in Mediterranean at different rate levels. Surely we cannot compare 4* island holiday resort hotels with city hotels; Value for money as you mention is of great importance to us.

Thank you again for all your remarks, we do appreciate your feedback, as Aquis hotels & Resorts continually trying hard to achieve the highest standards of hotel services and facilities.
We hope you choose Aquis Agios Gordios or any other Aquis property during your next stay at any of our destinations. With our best regards.
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Just got back from Agios Gordios after a fab week of rest and recoup. The hotel is great with stunning views and sunsets. Dispite it being very early in the season, the weather was lovely all day but a little chilly in the evenings. Our room was very clean and spacios and kept to a high standard with telly, dvd player and air con. Only downside was they seemed to be having some problems with heating enough water for everyone to have a nice warm shower before dinner. We did complain and it was resolved the next day. The staff are so friendly but this was very typical of the Greeks anyway. Food was good and there was a nice choice although it got a bit samey after a few days. Pool area was stunning and a very relaxing area to be, with a nice bar and sunbed area. Unfortunatley, they had the beach destroyed by a storm over winter so we had to walk further along the beach and use other bars sun beds. They have rebuilt the beach tunnel bar and the clean up is on going it seemed, but it wasnt enough to take the shine off the holiday. The hotel is quite a way up the cliffs so people with walking difficulties could struggle to get out and about but providing you are reasonably fit, you should come back fitter.

Room Tip: Most rooms are sea view but if you like an early night, request a room not over the pool bar where m...
1 Thank Bizzylizzy08
Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate our guests’ feedback, which allows us to evaluate each experience so we may pursue every effort to exceed our guests’ expectations. We are glad to hear that you had a fabulous week in Aquis Agios Gordios!!

Following your alert during your stay, we inspected each room for water temperature and any deviation from perfect water control had been immediately rectified. Thank you for bringing this to our attention straight away, we appreciate when guests are giving us the opportunity to solve any issue during the actual stay.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again in Aquis Agios Gordios Beach or any other Aquis Hotels and Resorts holiday destinations! We will keep the sun shine for you! Warm regards!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Agios Gordios
#1 of 4 in Lefkimi
Grecotel Eva Palace
Grecotel Eva Palace
#1 of 3 in Kommeno Bay

Been to Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort? Share your experiences!