“Beautiful location, really friendly staff”

Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Agios Gordios
York, United Kingdom
“Beautiful location, really friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Came here on my honeymoon last September, what a beautiful location. The staff were so friendly and welcoming and there are loads of activities to do. One of the nights we were there, there was a beach party and we had an amazing time. There was greek dancing, limboing and all sorts. They also had a karaoke night and a belly dancer night. There was plenty of drinks available on all inclusive, and the food was not bad at all. there was always something you could find that you liked. We upgraded to a bungalow which I recommend as some friends we met had just a normal room and it was no way as nice as the bungalow and did not have the view we had. Would definitely come here again, recommended.

Room Tip: bungalow, larger and better room. But make sure you can handle steep roads, as it is steep round the...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
12 Thank maddyosborne
Aquis_Quality_team, Front Office Manager at Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort, responded to this review, 9 October 2014
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your positive holiday experience at Aquis Agios Gordios Beach Hotel with TripAdvisor’s readers and we hope to welcoming you again in any of our properties and of course in our hotel!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (648)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Wakefield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

This was our first holiday since our kids left home,we aren't well travelled and went to the travel agent for advice and guidance..they came up with this place.It looked magnificent on the web site,we were impressed and booked a week all inclusive.It was though a million miles from the opulence portrayed on the website.it was tired and shabby the food was absolutely diabolical and possibly the worst food I have ever been served in a holiday hotel..shocking miserable choice of food every day for a week.if it hadn't been for the bread and butter we would have starved.I will eat practically anything but couldn't stomach the vile food served day in day out.the rooms were adequate,somewhere to rest your head at night.the entertainment was of working mens club standard.The drinks were well diluted down and and of limited choice.we went to bed at 10pm every night just to get another day over with.the outstanding aspect of the holiday was the shower in the room,it was great blew you away,and you definitely felt clean after a blast under the shower.there were cockroaches on the staircase to our room.we spent in excess of £1800 for a weeks all inclusive holiday and it was poor.Plus the wasps were like Zeppelins never gave you a minutes peace.The reception staff were unhelpful and had faces like wet weekends,I tried to ask one of them for help to switch on the hot tub on the roof area,but it was met with a frown..the said hot tub was absolutely filthy with scummy foam and dead wasps.It looks magical and a magnificent and 4 star hotel . but it is definitely only a 2 star standard.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Shelley D
CKonstantopoulou, Head of Marketing at Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Shelley D,
Thank you very much for your review following your recent stay at Aquis Agios Gordios Beach. We are certainly concerned that you left so disappointed from your holiday experience and we failed to meet the high standards we have set. I would like to discuss your points one by one as it is important and crucial to evaluate of aspects of your stay.

With regards to your comments over our food & beverage services, I can certainly understand that this is a quite subjective matter especially in terms of preferences; however I have already requested a complete feedback by the hotel management. As we are already preparing on operational basis for our hotels opening in season 2014, our guests feedback is more than highly valued. Thus, I can reassure you that as we have a certain guest satisfactory procedure, via our guest’s questionnaire completion and analysis, we cannot discover anything that would need our attention during your period of stay. Of course our variety of tastes and menus are extensive and it is not limited to basics such as bread and butter as you refer.

With regards to wasps, I would like to inform you that this is a physical phenomenon that occurs not only in Corfu but in the majority of the Mediterranean countries. We only follow natural ways to prevent swaps from putting pressure on our guests and we conduct eco-spraying procedures at the beginning and during the middle of the season in the middle of wine grapes harvesting period.

With regards to your comments over our staff professionalism, it comes to a great surprise to us as we usually receive quite good feedback and its one of our strongest points. Furthermore, regarding your comments over coackroaches, I have requested a report by the hotel management as we haven’t received any similar complaints.

It is sad that we missed the opportunity to offer you a great holiday experience and even though we always aim at the highest standards, sometimes inevitable issues arise. Certainly once we recognize the respective issue every effort is made to resolve these problems to the guests’ complete satisfaction.

I trust that despite your previous experience, we will still have the opportunity to welcome you in an Aquis hotel and I am confident that you will enjoy your total stay experience. Of course please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you require further information and in case you would like to discuss the above matters in depth

Chrisa Konstantopoulou
Head of Marketing
Aquis Hotels & Resorts
Holbeach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

This was a super hotel very relaxing holiday with plenty of food and drinks especially the Cocktails. One of the down sides was if you are unable to walk is getting down to the beach as there is several steps that are of two strides to a step and one other downer is the wasps they are every where. Apart from that this was a brilliant holiday with some excellent sunsets.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank connectdriver
Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

Stayed for a week late fall, travelled with family. I am 22 and would def. not recommend this location to youngsters. You will be bored. But i was prepared for it and was looking for a totally relaxing break.

This hotel have 4 stars based on its location. There is no question about it, the location is very good. The steps and the bees I am gettin tired of hearing about. Its not that big of a problem. The surroundings are beautiful and its a good place for hiking. You can find a few good restaurants in "town", which is a little cosy street. But thats all you get. Beach, a few restaurants, nature.

Even though I wanted a relaxing holiday, this was unfortunately not enough for me. When you have a all in hotel in a four star hotel, you kinda have some expectations. I am not really that fuzzy about food, but this was more like fast food with some quality. Im sorry, but I am not traveling to greece to eat egg, bacon, fries, pancakes or baked beans. They offer some local dishes, but they were not up to standard. I would recommend half board and eat dinner out.

I have traveled quite a lot and unfortunately this place and hotel is on the bottom of my list. Even though I had a good holiday and put on a good attitude, I knew going home that i would never go back or recommend it to others. Corfu in itself is amazing, but i would stay at the other side of the island. You can get a relaxing time there as well, but also have the option of experiencing more culture and local buzz.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank AneJansen
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the hotel for a fortnight in June this year. The blazing hot weather, beautiful beach view and the grand hotel with great entertainment, local shops and friendly staff made the trip all the better. The only negative was the amount of walking to get down to the beach or down to the village where all the bars and shops are or bus stops, as you are situated on the hillside, you have a lot of steep walking to to, and of course 35+ degree sunshine, that's not the most ideal of situations! However, don't let this put you off as the views over the ocean at sunset are stunning and the views over the village are pretty nice too. I'd definitely visit again. The spa facilities are fab as well, we had the mojito spa experience which included a sugar and mint full body massage as well as hot stones treatment ... Well worth the extra money! We were very disappointed with the a la carte restaurant however, the food quality and for the amount of time waiting was ridiculous, we were given several free drinks by the staff to make up for it, but we were sure to just go to the buffet restaurant for the other days we were there!

Room Tip: Seaview wins as always!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank halobabeee
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Went to the hotel for a last minute relaxing week in the sun, the hotel is stunning and staff especially in the restaurant was very friendly, it was my birthday and the hotel brought champagne,cake and fruit it made it special, The spa facilities was good , had a relaxing aromatherapy message. The only bad point was the wasps , it really needs sorting, I could count the nests above the restaurant ,I had to cover my drinks all the time, I was stung while lounging next to the pool, it really needs sorting!!

Room Tip: Had sea view, lovely
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank E R
leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Holiday was booked by my parents and my sister and I piggey-backed onto it! Hotel setting is beautiful but warning, it is VERY steep. Between booking and travel (more than 6 months), my Dad's health deteriorated and the road to and from the hotel as well as the route to the beach was a big challenge. They had a room in the hotel which was pretty standard, nothing special. We opted for a bungalow suite as a friend was to join us later during our stay. Ironically ours cost more and yet the basic room was far nicer. It had much more character and soul. The hotel omit to tell you that the suites are not in the main building and that they may involve steep walks up and down the hill. It seems that they are add on's as they just don't "fit" somehow.

Our bathroom was tiny, rusty fittings, no toiletries, just one dispenser in the shower with one liquid intended to be used as shampoo, conditioner and shower gel, worn/threadbare and faded towels, no tissues, the layout meant climbing out of the shower over the toilet and the shower leaked resulting in a risk of slipping. When reception were advised, they told us this was the same in every room! The toilet seat was loose and the whole thing was just downright shoddy frankly.

The living room was sparsely furnished and cold, without any atmosphere at all. My parents' room in the hotel was far nicer than ours! At least it felt like it was part of a hotel and not an "add on" or "afterthought" that the hotel had decided on some time after the main building had been erected! The bedroom was tiny, there was barely any storage space, lighting was awful. We were also disturbed by passing traffic. We really expected a lot better for the supposedly best rooms in the house, especially after the front desk manager assured us how much the hotel valued cleanliness and high standards!!! Sadly they do not deliver.

Beware, even in October, mosquitoes were a big problem. We got bitten and were directed to the on-site gift shop to buy ludicrously expensive mosquito repellent! There were no screens on the windows to prevent insects from coming in so if you left one open, you could be guaranteed that you'd be their dinner later!

Onto the food. One word, poor. It was basic and essentially caters for a market that expects nothing authentically Greek (despite this being a Greek island) and has little expectation. Food was repeated and there was little originality. It was very bland and badly done, with limited variety and standards were low. We had actually expected a lot better given the hotel's star rating. However, it seems that the majority German clientele do not. On the plus side, the salad bar was good and basically kept us going during our week. Vegetarians beware, food is very meat-focused and labeling is off. We found meat in all manner of items labeled to be vegetarian. They even managed to make a hash out of something as simple as pasta with pesto! The restaurant staff were excellent and friendly though.

Staff in the rest of the hotel, especially the front desk, were mixed though. We sometimes found them to be sullen and/or disinterested. On arrival in the early hours we were advised that sandwiches were awaiting us! However, they contained meat. As non-meat eaters, we requested vegetarian ones but were advised to just take the meat out!!!!

We were surprised at charges such as for the hire of beach towels and room safes. Not something we have ever had to pay for on holiday before, so it seemed very cheap on this hotel's part!

Entertainment was awful, bad music, absolutely shockingly poor dancers and tasteless acts without any semblance of talent. We kept away after seeing the calibre!

Avoid the spa, massage was awful, completely not worth it. Save your money and get a massage when you return home. You will need it!

The beach was nice enough but there was no one to help erect umbrellas or move sun loungers around which was a shame as it was hard to do on your own. Lovely sea and the hotel's setting was lovely, seen from the water. In fact, location is this hotel's best selling point, it has wonderful views across the water and clings to the cliff in a very attractive manner.

All in all, we made our own fun and had a good time, but the hotel, facilities and our room/reception staff, let the accommodation down overall. This is nowhere near 4* standard. At best, it' a 3* given what they offer and the facilities/services/offerings available. If you like luxury and expect high standards, this place is not for you. If you want overcooked veg and chips with every meal, this place is right up your street. I would not recommend this to any of my friends or family though!

Room Tip: Not sure there are any! We paid for a bungalow suite but the rooms inside the hotel were both nicer...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Mayor Capo Di Corfu
Mayor Capo Di Corfu
#1 of 4 in Lefkimi
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,255 reviews

Been to Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort? Share your experiences!